PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 NFL Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
There some pretty decent Centers available in 2012. Nick Hardwick, Scott Wells, etc.

Hit list:

Carlos Rogers
Dahon goldson
Reggie Nelson
Ahmad brooks
Calais Campbell

My realistice wish list

1. Pay top dollar to land the best FA Safety available, hopefully Landry or Griffin.

2. Pay a mid round price to get a 2nd tier CB who is big and physical. I have always liked Richard Marshall and I don't think you need to pay top dollar for him

3. I am NOT one who believes that all this crap about needing a "field stretching" WR. We have had one of the top 2 passing games in the league over the last 2 years without one. We won 3 superbowls without one. We don't NEED a field stretching WR in order to have a productive offense

That being said, it would be a nice LUXURY to have. Braylon Edwards fits the physical skill set perfectly and his horrid season in SF would make him eminently affordable. He's young enough to be worth a shot to see if he can turn around his career in NE

4. Mario Williams would be ideal of course, but certainly not realistic. However Manny Lawson was universally liked by most here when he came out. Perhaps he's now ready to take the next step and become a productive 3-4 OLB at a reasonable price

Only one of these guys would cost you top dollar, but just by adding them to our current roster you could see how much of a potential impact they would bring, especially to the DBs. AND when you think about those 5 picks we have, we can really put together a defense that could start to becoming an equal partner with the offense. We can do that by adding another CB (Minnefield), S (Lester) some DE/OLB pass rush prospect (Upshaw) and a young WR prospect (McNutt)

Add those players to the current roster and what you have then is an embarassment of riches. Its a DREAM TEAM, baby. :D

Lardarius Webb is a beast...but 0% chance Baltimore will let him walk.

Random thought, how much would Mario Williams and 3 early defensively picks help the defense.

Can it be repaired?

There some pretty decent Centers available in 2012. Nick Hardwick, Scott Wells, etc.

Not sure that the Pats will look at a center with the way that Connolly, Wendell and McDonald have played.. I would, but they may not..

Pipe-Dream signings:
Both Anthony Spencer and Manny Lawson..

One or the other would definitely help the defense.

For safeties:

Thomas DeCoud - Atl
Tanard Jackson - TB
Dashon Golden - SF
Tom Zbikowski - Bal

Pipe-Dream signings:
Both Anthony Spencer and Manny Lawson..

One or the other would definitely help the defense.

For safeties:

Thomas DeCoud - Atl
Tanard Jackson - TB
Dashon Golden - SF
Tom Zbikowski - Bal
I disagee to some extent DB, for 2 reasons.

First is positional. If I think the Pats only have the cap space for one top end FA. I think paying for high end coverage safety with good tackling skill would have a bigger impact on the defense than an equally talented OLB/DE

Secondly, while I think Spencer is a nice player, I don't think he'd that impactful to be worth the price it would take to get him. Also I thnk he benefits from playing opposite Ware.

So with that in mind I would do the opposite of what you suggested and go for the top end Safety and a 2nd tier OLB

all of this really depends on what happens in the evaluation of the Safteys in the draft. But in reality i would like laron landry because i think landry and chung at S lets us concentrate on picking BPA in the draft. This year we were caught by the fact that in training camp bb decided that sanders and merriweather were not upto it...

if we can get a training camp together with landry and chung at S hopefully we can get our communication right and solidify this defense with (hopefully) some young draft talent.

Can't believe no-one's talking about a Corner, because there's some good ones on that list. Terrell Thomas and Tracy Porter would suit this defense down to the ground. Brandon Carr would be a good fit too.

Don't bother talking about Landry. He's damaged goods, and is still probably getting franchised.

After thinking about it long and hard, Mario Williams or bust. And try to bring back Anderson and Carter.

Front 7 (4-3)
----ROLB - Ninkovich
DE - Anderson
DT - Love
----MLB - Mayo
DT - Wilfork
DE - Carter
----ROLB - Williams

Williams is scheme and position diverse, he can play 4-3 end, 3-4 OLB and even 3-4 end in passing situations.

At Safety they can try to find a solid professional who knows how to position the players, imagine a faster James Sanders.

Mario Williams or bust

Last edited:
After thinking about it long and hard, Mario Williams or bust. And try to bring back Anderson and Carter.

Front 7 (4-3)
----ROLB - Ninkovich
DE - Anderson
DT - Love
----MLB - Mayo
DT - Wilfork
DE - Carter
----ROLB - Williams

Williams is scheme and position diverse, he can play 4-3 end, 3-4 OLB and even 3-4 end in passing situations.

At Safety they can try to find a solid professional who knows how to position the players, imagine a faster James Sanders.

Mario Williams or bust

There's no way Mario isn't franchised, so it'd probably take at least a 1st and a 2nd to trade for him.

There's no way Mario isn't franchised, so it'd probably take at least a 1st and a 2nd to trade for him.

Isn't he coming off a torn pectoral muscle? That may be enough to allow him to slip to free agency.. at least in my dream world.

I would like to see us re-sign Anderson and Carter. Obviously we will (and should!) take care of Wes Welker.

I am not too fussed about Deion Branch - if he can be kept at a home town rate that would be fine. We will save a huge amount of money off his contract either way.

The two areas i think we have a need in FA is for a veteran DB (ideally a Safety) and a pass-rusher. I dont think they need to be Elite players, but decent ones would be an upgrade.

If someone like V-Jax or D-Jax was available at a good price i would not mind throwing our hat into the ring.

The Texans have the least cap space in the league and Arian Foster needs to get paid, Mario Williams is most likely in play. Also some money needs to go to O-line help to keep multiple QB's from going on IR for the Texans.

The Texans have the least cap space in the league and Arian Foster needs to get paid, Mario Williams is most likely in play. Also some money needs to go to O-line help to keep multiple QB's from going on IR for the Texans.

Foster is a restricted free agent this offseason. There's nothing at all stopping the Texans from franchising Mario long enough to trade him.

Foster is a restricted free agent this offseason. There's nothing at all stopping the Texans from franchising Mario long enough to trade him.

I'd give them Our or New Orleans 1st rounder for him. It is worth it for that type of talent. Put him across from anderson and carter in that 3 DE rotation and i think you will find our pass rush much improved which will have a flow on effect on the rest of our D.

I'd give them Our or New Orleans 1st rounder for him. It is worth it for that type of talent. Put him across from anderson and carter in that 3 DE rotation and i think you will find our pass rush much improved which will have a flow on effect on the rest of our D.

I don't even know if that'd be enough. The Chiefs traded Jared Allen for a 1st and two 3rds. The first was 17th overall, and that was despite Allen having 3 DUIs on his record and being suspended 4 games of the prior season. Mario could fetch as much as a 1st and a 2nd, I think, from a team picking in the teens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference