PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 NFL Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needless to say, I was pissed when we let Dashon Goldson walk out of town without a deal.

As was I. Inexcusable.

Chung, Goldson & Sanders would've made a decent Safety group, esp. if Kurt Coleman
and/or Tyler Sash had been drafted in the 6th round during the last 2 years.

As for the poss. FA additions on this list, if accurate, I would consider:

WR (besides Welker) - Colston, Lloyd, Garcon, Earl Bennett

DL - Calais Campbell, esp. if we return to a 3-4 base

DE/OLB (besides Mario Williams) - Andre Carter, if recovered;
Cliff Avril, to atone for drafting Crable instead of him in 2008

OLB - Anthony Spencer, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks

CB - Terrell Thomas, if healthy, to atone for drafting Wheatley instead of him in 2008;
Richard Marshall, Corey Graham, Tim Jennings (and others, but at a lower cost)

Safety (besides Landry) - DeCoud, Goldson, Reggie Smith,
and Sanders for the vet min+ as the 3rd/5th Safety with system knowledge

No chance. Tagging him (whether they trade him or sign him long term after that) is clearly the best thing for their franchise. Helps a lot that Foster is an RFA, so they just have to use a tender on him as opposed to the tag.

I wouldn't be so sure....if they tag him, all he has to do is sign his name along the line that is dotted and be on the hook for 16 million for one season. That's fine, if they want to give him a long term deal afterwards, but I don't think Houston will go the sign-and-trade route. Coming off a significant injury, I could see Williams signing the one-year deal to prove himself healthy and rehab his stock. If Wade Phillips is still the DC, and he's convinced that Williams is a luxury they don't need, The Texans could easily let him walk. It sounds f-ed up to let him go for the third round comp pick, but that's a lot of cap space that they can use elsewhere. They have a lot of good linemen they probably want to extend, for example.

That being said, if I were a betting man, I'd bet on Houston re-signing Williams long term.

Don't bother talking about Landry. He's damaged goods, and is still probably getting franchised.

He is damaged, two straight years on the IR but... he is super talented and is likely to play on a one year "prove it" type deal.

Andre Carter can put in a good word for the Patriots.

Worth a shot.

He is damaged, two straight years on the IR but... he is super talented and is likely to play on a one year "prove it" type deal.

Worth a shot.

And Carter can give us some insight into what kind of guy he is off the field (i.e. -gym rat? student of the game? lazy? punk? tough? bad team mate? etc.)

For Receiver:
Wes Welker <---- A MUST
Josh Morgan
Jericho Cotchery
Pierre Garcon

Corner:
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Terrell Thomas
Al Harris

Al Harris retired.

Saints fans hate Tracy Porter. Would love Carr on this team.
I'll pass on Garcon. Tends to drop balls a little too much. Pass on Jericho. He's a Slot WR.

Josh Morgan and Terrell Thomas are coming off of injury and I think both required surgery. I like Cotchery as a #3 but if we get a bigger name WR via FA or draft someone we can slide Branch into the #3 spot.

I think you have to combine lust for some players and some realism. Given some of the names I think you have to be willing to spend top dollar on the safety position. Landry and/or Mathis seem to be the 2 best players out there and one of them better wind up with us next year.

After that I think you look more conservatively. Don't forget we added 20 sacks by signing 2 FAs that barely raised an eyebrow when they came aboard. Richard Marshall and Manny Lawson are 2 mid level guys I think that fall into that category. Marshall is a good sized, physical CB that excels in zone coverage. He could be a solid role player here, especially if the Pats fail to draft Minnefield in April. Lawson is a guy who might blossom into the OLB everyone hoped he'd be when he came out, or he could be a solid role player who will get 4-5 sacks and eat up snaps and provide depth in an OLB rotation.

As far as WR is concerned, I'm fine with what we have. So anything we pick up in the draft or FA is pure gravy. Remember between Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez there are only so many more balls for any other receiver to get.

TNeedless to say, I was pissed when we let Dashon Goldson walk out of town without a deal. Hopefully we can get him this year.

Did you stop think that maybe you don't know the whole story on Goldson? Did you stop to think that maybe he didn't want to be here? Or that maybe the contract the Pats offered wasn't what he was looking for? Or maybe he gave the 49ers the right of first refusal? Or, maybe the Pats felt that Goldson didn't fit here...

All of those are plausible reasons that Goldson isn't wearing a Pats uniform right now. Getting "pissed" is only a waste of energy.

Did you stop think that maybe you don't know the whole story on Goldson? Did you stop to think that maybe he didn't want to be here? Or that maybe the contract the Pats offered wasn't what he was looking for? Or maybe he gave the 49ers the right of first refusal? Or, maybe the Pats felt that Goldson didn't fit here...

All of those are plausible reasons that Goldson isn't wearing a Pats uniform right now. Getting "pissed" is only a waste of energy.

Do you feel the need to come at all of my posts? You always bring up things that 0% of fans know. As if you do. Obviously I don't know why we didn't sign Goldson, neither do you, but I am disappointed that we didn't. So get off my jock. Clearly you're feeling a bit catty and threatened.

Al Harris retired.

Saints fans hate Tracy Porter. Would love Carr on this team.
I'll pass on Garcon. Tends to drop balls a little too much. Pass on Jericho. He's a Slot WR.

Hadn't heard that Harris retired.. Thanks for the update.

Do you know why Saints fans "hate Porter"? I would think that the guy who sealed the win for their SB would be a legend for them..

Garcon was at the bottom of my list for a reason.. A last resort type thing..

Last edited:
Isn't Reggie Wayne's contract up this year too? I know it's highly unlikely that he comes here but if the Colts decide to enter a rebuilding phase you never know...

Honestly, I feel like lifer Colts like Wayne, Mathis, and Freeney might feel less love for the Colts now that Polian is gone, Irsay is acting like a clown, Caldwell is likely gone, and maybe even Manning is gone. I could see some of their FA's spurning the franchise and going to a once rival.

Hadn't heard that Harris retired.. Thanks for the update.

Do you know why Saints fans "hate Porter"? I would think that the guy who sealed the win for their SB would be a legend for them..

Garcon was at the bottom of my list for a reason.. A last resort type thing..

I believe the sentiment about NO DBs goes like this:

- They like Porter but realize he's a #2. He will always get free beers and bowls of jumbalaya when he's in town, though.
- They really don't like Jabari Greer
- They love/hate Jenkins and can't figure out why he's so wildly inconsistent.

Free agents that caught my eye.

Peyton Hillis (if BJGE leaves) I know he wasnt a fav of mcdaniels but BB usually has a thing for bringing in guys who dominated the pats (Ocho, Wes)

Brandon Lloyd (follows Mcdaniels, WW is our major priority tho). I will say that this is a bumper year for free agent WR's so the pats might be able to snag some below market WR for not much.

Oline and TE i think we are set. However i would not be surprised with another vet TE hoping to hit gold like crumpler.

DE/OLB: Mario Williams (obviously the pipe dream but it's a no brainer), Mark Anderson is another i am impressed with and think would be great to bring back to fight it out for OLB and sub-rusher. (shaun ellis is one i am waiting on pending the playoffs push as i had a theory he was brought in for experience in the playoffs... we'll see)

Only lb i would really look at is Spencer from the cowboys.

CB's i'd rather through the draft personally. Always bring in a few JAG's

Saftey would like a look at Landry or Goldson. Both i think obviously outweigh the talent we have there atm.

The saftey and CB position is intriguing because it really depends upon in BB thing Devin is the answer at FS of whether he is a CB who has had a bad year

Peyton Hillis (if BJGE leaves) I know he wasnt a fav of mcdaniels but BB usually has a thing for bringing in guys who dominated the pats (Ocho, Wes)

Brandon Lloyd (follows Mcdaniels, WW is our major priority tho). I will say that this is a bumper year for free agent WR's so the pats might be able to snag some below market WR for not much.

Oline and TE i think we are set. However i would not be surprised with another vet TE hoping to hit gold like crumpler.

DE/OLB: Mario Williams (obviously the pipe dream but it's a no brainer), Mark Anderson is another i am impressed with and think would be great to bring back to fight it out for OLB and sub-rusher. (shaun ellis is one i am waiting on pending the playoffs push as i had a theory he was brought in for experience in the playoffs... we'll see)

CB's i'd rather through the draft personally. Always bring in a few JAG's

Saftey would like a look at Landry or Goldson. Both i think obviously outweigh the talent we have there atm.

The saftey and CB position is intriguing because it really depends upon in BB thing Devin is the answer at FS of whether he is a CB who has had a bad year

I agree on your Safety choices Cousin. I want to throw one in the ring whom I think has Rodney characteristics. From Rotoworld:

Cardinals SS Adrian Wilson is due a $3 million roster bonus in March.
It's on top of his $6.5 million salary, and a lot to pay for a 32-year-old "box" safety. Pro Football Focus did grade Wilson as the second best cover safety in football this past season. He had 65 tackles and one interception.

No way the Cards pay him $9.5mm. The size, intelligence, experience, locker room presence and talent and desire to win would make Wilson a fit here.

I think that OLB is a need and I think that even as a back up, Guyton is a gonner as is Cunningham. In a 4-3 our OLB starters are Nink and Mayo. You have to keep Mayo on the field and Ninc has had a superb year and seems to be progressing. Fletcher can play inside out or DE. But.....I have a hybrid in mind to play OLB and DE.

I think Carter resigns and Anderson has been much better as the season progressed but it there an upgrade for the Ellis/Anderson DE combo opposite Carter at least as a strater? Mario is obvious but I can't see him getting out of Houston. How about 6'5" 260 lb DE/OLB Trevor Scott of Oakland? He is still young. He has been dinged the last two years (ACL) but his first two he had 12 sacks. He has OLB and DE experience and if healthy, maybe a steal. He will not demand much $.

I have two to consider as valuable 2012 roster adds. How about CB Cortland Finnegan? He is a tough kid and will pound you and tackle (75 in 2011). He is still young. He and Wilson would make the Defense mean with Chung and Spikes.

I think BB looks at Reggie Wayne. Mutual respect. Maybe still the best route runner in the NFL and can get open. At 34 he is not as swift but he has the experience to be open and who wants him one on one with Gronk, Hernandez and WW running around. An upgrade on the still-decent-but-not-demanding-double-coverage-anymore Branch for sure? Reggie has more size as well.

These guys are realistic additions. My thoughts?:
Wilson S -Experience, toughness, can cover and size
Finnegan CB -Toughness and speed. Youth.
Wayne WR -Will get open. Has size. Experience on a complex passing Team unlike Ocho.
Scott OLB/DE -Showed promise but has been dinged . Good size and on the cheap. Still young.

DW Toys

Worth a shot.
I agree that Landry is worth a shot. He may be damaged but has a ton of ability and is still young. The Pats could offer a one year deal that could really work out. Since Rodney Harrison left, the Pats have not had an intimidating and emotional safety playing and it is badly needed to assist Chung and put McCourty back where he belongs at CB. If Pats don't want Landry than Wilson would be a good pickup.

Wes Walker will be coming back with the Pats and if looks promising to sign Brandon Lloyd. He may help the Pats but remember Lloyd only had one great year in his career which was 2010 (77 rec, 1448 yds) but it was under McDaniels. In his 10 year career, he has only 3 seasons with 500+ yds which helps make him AFFORDABLE.

What about DL John Abraham from the Falcons? He is the Falcons all time sack leader but may not be back. He could not only help the Pats for one year but younger players could learn from him.

Last edited:
year

Yeah Spencer is intriguing to me too. I don't know the situation in Dallas, so I don't know if it's a dream or not, but I'd love to bring him in.

Other than retaining our guys, I really want to see Dashon Goldson here. It might be a need, not a want.

Also Llyod makes too much sense, bring him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST