PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 NFL Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way Mario isn't franchised, so it'd probably take at least a 1st and a 2nd to trade for him.

I think the chances of Mario being franchised is slim. It is reported locally that his franchise tender will be $22M guaranteed and the Texans don't seem inclined to pay that kind of money to a good, but not great DE (he's no Reggie White or Jarred Allen), especially since it's reported that they have little cap room. And if they tag him, they will be in cap hell and it would be difficult to trade him as no sane team would give high draft choices and take on that salary.

The Texans are also in a bind with Foster. Since he entered the league as an UDFA, the Texans can only tender him at a 2nd round level. Many teams will be willing to offer Foster a mega contract at the cost of a 2nd round pick. And Foster doesn't exactly have his heart with the Texans since the Texans refused to redo his contract for this past season. While the Texans can match any offer, the price might be too rich for their liking. I think it will be difficult for the Texans to keep either player.

patsfaninpa said:
I think the Rams will try like heck to keep him. They have plenty of cap space and need to keep him. We'd have to sell him on staying with McDaniels, playing with Brady and a chance to win. 5-6M enough?? There are a lot of veteran free agents available. Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, M. Colston, Desean Jackson, Robert Meachem, Steve Johnson, Reggie Wayne.

Felt this was a more appropriate thread to respond in rather than the Senior Bowl thread.

Vincent Jackson = Head case. Will still get a ton of money.
Desean Jackson = great player but injury prone.
Marques Colston = Gonna be franchised by New Orleans
Steve Johnson = hurt himself with the stunt he pulled in the game against the Pats. I'd be surprised if anyone gave him more than a 3-4 million contract.
Reggie Wayne = Great player, but may be done. He is 33. Not sure how many more years he's got in him

Robert Meachum = could be a nice pick-up
Josh Morgan = Coming off an injury and could be good at a discount.
Pierre Garcon = Another injury prone guy, but has big play ability.
Mario Manningham = 2nd tier WR.
Laurent Robinson = Wants to stay in Dallas.
Jericho Cotchery = Guy who has always burned the Pats.

I think the chances of Mario being franchised is slim. It is reported locally that his franchise tender will be $22M guaranteed and the Texans don't seem inclined to pay that kind of money to a good, but not great DE (he's no Reggie White or Jarred Allen), especially since it's reported that they have little cap room. And if they tag him, they will be in cap hell and it would be difficult to trade him as no sane team would give high draft choices and take on that salary.

The Texans are also in a bind with Foster. Since he entered the league as an UDFA, the Texans can only tender him at a 2nd round level. Many teams will be willing to offer Foster a mega contract at the cost of a 2nd round pick. And Foster doesn't exactly have his heart with the Texans since the Texans refused to redo his contract for this past season. While the Texans can match any offer, the price might be too rich for their liking. I think it will be difficult for the Texans to keep either player.

Where did you see that the Texans can only tender Foster at a 2nd round level? I don't see anything mentioned in the CBA about that.

Where did you see that the Texans can only tender Foster at a 2nd round level? I don't see anything mentioned in the CBA about that.

It's actually the first round level, I believe. The 1st and 3rd tender was removed.

It's actually the first round level, I believe. The 1st and 3rd tender was removed.

I know the 1st & 3rd was removed. But he said that the highest they could tender him was a 2nd.. Which is different than a 1st.

That being said, if I was a team wanted one of the best RBs in the league, I'd give up a 1st rounder for Foster. There isn't a RB in the draft that is as good as Foster is.

In the past, the highest tender for a player who entered as an UDFA was a 2nd round level. I'm not aware that this has changed.

In the past, the highest tender for a player who entered as an UDFA was a 2nd round level. I'm not aware that this has changed.

Again, I don't know where you are getting that because I have never, ever heard that before. And Miguel has the old rules posted on his Free Agency page and it mentions nothing about it. If you have a link to the old CBA that proves this, great. I'll stand corrected. But I believe you are wrong on this.

The one thing about UDFAs, previously, was that if they were tendered at the lowest level (meaning a pick in the round they were drafted) then no compensation would be required of the team signing the UDFA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference