PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 NFL Free Agency 'Let's Sign This Guy' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's wise to build your team based on another team.

Our offense scored a billion points last year. It's not building your team based on another team, but it shows that we really shouldn't be focused on acquiring an impact WR. And against the Jets, who we likely could play 3 times next year, this impact player would not make much of an impact.

Breaston to the Chiefs is a great move to compliment Bowe. They're building some sort of offense around Cassel and Charles.

QB - Matt Cassel
RB - Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones
WR - Dwayne Bowe, Steve Breaston, Chris Chambers, Dexter McCluster
TE - Tony Moeaki, Leonard Pope

That's a very good starting point for the skill positions on offense.

They drafted a WR in round 1, too (Baldwin). Pioli's putting it together there. The question, at least on offense, could boil down to what Cassel can give them.

They drafted a WR in round 1, too (Baldwin). Pioli's putting it together there. The question, at least on offense, could boil down to what Cassel can give them.
Agreed. The Chiefs have done a fantastic job of rebuilding their side in recent years. It seems a lot with come down to Cassel's capabilities as a QB.

I'm not sure they'll drop off as people expect them too.

Last edited:
Add LT Max Starks and WR Antwaan Randle El to the list of available free agents:

Steelers release Starks, Randle El

The Steelers this morning released two veterans, starting left tackle Max Starks and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

Starks, scheduled to count more than $7 million on their salary cap, has been a starter since his second season in 2005. He started two years at right tackle and three at left tackle. However, his season ended last November when he required neck surgery and he has had trouble getting his weight down this year.

Randle El left the Steelers as a free agent after the 2005 season but returned last season. He was quickly surpassed as their No. 3 receiver by rookie Emmanuel Sanders and then bypassed as No. 4 by rookie Antonioe Brown. He caught 22 passes last season and completed two pass attempts, both for touchdowns.

Classic in bill we trust Blog post.

If this was 2005 I can see following this, but 7 years after the last superbowl win. Not anymore.

hahahahah well this morning proved this post wrong didn't it.

I love the rare times on this board when someones post is almost instantly refuted by the teams actions.

I love Cassel - and think he's a legitimately good starting QB in this league. But it's troubling that his two good seasons came against very similar schedules; both which had a lot of easy pass defenses.

I always wonder how that Brady-led offense would have shredded that schedule if not for Bernard Pollard. It might've been just as epic as the year before.

Sal Paolantonio reports: DE Jason Babin signs with the Eagles for 5 years - $30 million.

Looks like Kiwanuka is staying with the Giants

Justin Tuck on twitter:
"Kiwi is returning to the big blue. Yes sir"

OT: Atlanta releases pair of former 1st round picks

Michael Jenkins and Jamaal Anderson were both released..

Re: Free Agent Tracker

Ray Edwards still not signed. I don't know if the Patriots are interested or have the cap space.

It seems strange that no one in the media has any info on this guy.

Re: OT: Atlanta releases pair of former 1st round picks

Michael Jenkins and Jamaal Anderson were both released..

Congrats on marriage Cousin, seriously.

Anderson? At 6'6" and 280lbs with 4.75 speed and still young, I have no problem on seeing if he can perform better in a 3-4 and maybe drop back some in coverage. He was an extraordinary athlete. Maybe 4-3 was his ruin and not his forte.

Jenkins had over 40 catches last year and at 6' 4" and 217 and only 29 WITH 4.4 SPEED, perhaps an upgrade on the oft injured Branch. Branch will be hurt without question. It's when, not if. Tate is a good #4 or #5 guy and I see Price over him. Tate was mediocre at best. KR rules have changed as well so it is not as valuable. Chad is the only WR with length at 6'1". Welker and Branch are on their last year. Jenkins can be insurance. Can he run routes?

I see Jenkins as a ATL CAP cut and Anderson as a give up.

You could fold the buy sell office today in Foxborough with those two moves. Although Lawson or Roth would still be a need at OLB. I like FA ATL Guard Harvey Dahl if we are invading GA, as he is nasty and he and Mankins can set a tone. They can let Cannon develop and still keep Conney as a swing guard. Those would be my last moves and not too big of CAP hits.

Still think we dump some money by cutting Kaczur, cutting (or restructuring) Sanders and we do a long term with Mankins. We will resign Page (and McGowan if they cut Sanders as Page and McGowan are cheaper options) and Light IMO.

Would not be surprised to see Merriweather traded for a higher 2012 pick now. See what E. Weddle made and those are the Merriweather 2012 target $. Not up in here Brandon! Dowling might be a S in a Eugene Wilson type move.

Can't see 5 RBs though. 6 if Faulk wants back. I see a cut there.
DW Toys

Re: NFL veteran Free Agents signed

Looks like the interior of the Chiefs' defensive line might need some help.

Shaun Smith says he's going to Tennessee instead | Red Zone

Shaun Smith says he's going to Tennessee instead

That's what Smith tweeted recently. The Chiefs were working to get Smith signed but the Titans evidently beat Kansas City's best offer.

So here's where the Chiefs are, as of now, at nose tackle: Rookie Jerrell Powe, a sixth-round pick, and Anthony Toribio, plucked off waivers from Green Bay last year but seldom used.

At end, they have Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, rookie Allen Bailey (third round) and three developmental prospects.

The Chiefs clearly have work to do here.

Derrick Harvey released by Jags

Derrick Harvey released by Jags

perhaps this had something to do with that move lol

Derrick Harvey was so eager to get to Jacksonville's facility that he mistakenly drove through the parking lot gate.

Channing Crowder gets cut by Miami in a surprise move

The guy is a doofus...even Belichick can't help this guy.....no thanks

Last edited:
Packers cut 10 year veteran OT Mark Tauscher

Great player at RT...maybe too old though

Carlos Rogers is an interesting name.He runs like the wind but his work ethic is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes