PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 NFL Free Agency 'Let's Sign This Guy' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Andre gurode

Bringing in Gurode seems like a no-brainer to me after watching that Lions game. Pats have plenty of capspace.

Last edited:

Bringing in Gurode seems like a no-brainer to me after watching that Lions game. Pats have plenty have capspace.
Yeah, it'd be a.. "no brainer".. alright.

The guy stinks

Last edited:

Yeah, it'd be a "no brainer" alright.

The guy sucks.

HUH???? Gurode doesn't suck. Clearly you've not actually watched him play. He was the only GOOD O-lineman that the Cowboys had last year.

Gurode would be a good guy to bring in for the RG position and he could easily be a back-up at center.

Re: 2011 NFL Free Agency 'Let's Sign This Guy (update: Andre Gurode)' Thread

Bring in a wr thats gonna make plays.:rolleyes:

Price will be the problem with Gurode and I'm not sure Belichik would want to pay much more for OL this season after the signings of Mankins, Light, and Solder.

Assuming he can play RG or Koppen would be willing to slide over, he would certainly be an upgrade over Connelly/Ohrnberger. But he was cut because he couldn't work out a contract extension and he is looking for $5.5M so unless he is willing to give the old Hainsworth/Ocho "it's an honor to play for the Patriots" discount I don't think we will see him in a Pats uni anytime soon.

If Gurode is indeed looking for $5.5M then I doubt he's going to get that from the Pats, regardless of how the right side of the line looked against Detroit - though some will surely speculate that the Pats are going to do just that with the cap (and real) money saved by cutting Sanders and Wilhite today.

Price will be the problem with Gurode and I'm not sure Belichik would want to pay much more for OL this season after the signings of Mankins, Light, and Solder.
Maybe, but why pay a QB 20 million a year then pinch pennies when it comes to protecting him? It's not like the Pats are up against it financially.

Maybe Brett Favre can play guard.

Bringing in Gurode seems like a no-brainer to me after watching that Lions game. Pats have plenty of capspace.

By "no-brainer", are you referencing when Haynesworth stomped on his head? This is the same guy, right?

By "no-brainer", are you referencing when Haynesworth stomped on his head? This is the same guy, right?

haha. I'm guessing that would be pretty awkward

haha. I'm guessing that would be pretty awkward

But this is the Patriots... they'd have lockers next to each other and they'd room together on road games... :bricks:

Yeah, it'd be a.. "no brainer".. alright.

The guy stinks

How bad can he stink? He's made 5 straight Pro Bowls, and while that doesn't always mean much, I doubt he stinks.

and he is looking for $5.5M

I believe that is the figure he WAS CONTRACTED FOR w/ the COWBOYS. That is what they didn't want to pay him.

Not necessarily what he is demanding now that he is without a team.

I am pretty certain you could do a two year incentive laden contract that would be less than that and could be converted to a longer term deal half way through the season if he works out.

Part of the reason he was cut was supposedly a leg (? knee?) injury that he hasnt fully rehabbed. Anyone know the status on that?

I think he is definitely worth taking a look at and could help stabilize the interior. that is where everyone since the Giants SB has marked as 'how to stop Brady' with the pass rush. So that could be a real good upgrade (if he is recovered).

I would definitely take a look at Gurode if his health checks out. He would offer the versatility to start at RG or backup Koppen at C. While he may not be in his prime anymore, I think he is a much better option right now than Ohrnberger or Wendell. There are also some other interesting veteran FA OG's that I would take a look at. Leonard Davis, Rich Seubert and Brian Waters seem to be the top guys available. But perhaps the most interesting guy to me that is still available is Shawn Andrews. He signed a big contract and played LT last year for the Giants and did an ok job. I think he has the highest upside of any of the options still available, and on a 1 year deal I think he would make sense.

With the state of our O-line at the moment I would like to bring in two of these guys because I really don't trust Ohrnberger or Wendell. If we could sign both Gurode and Andrews (which is highly unlikely I know), they could battle it out for the starting RG spot, with the other the primary backup. Gurode can play C or OG and Andrews can play OG or OT so it would make our line a lot deeper and more versatile.

Been reading the Dallas site, bloggingtheboys.com , and I think most Dallas fans wish him luck but they agree that he should have been cut last year. Looks like he has been losing his skills.

He can't be any worse than Koppen even if he does have only one leg.

He can't be any worse than Koppen even if he does have only one leg.

Wendell has been hurt. Ohrnberger has been a disaster. Has anyone ever seen Rich O. make a play?

Gurode brings flexibility. Connelly is a supersub but not the next John Hannah. He earned his shot this year from his success in 2010, Can he be upgraded?....yes. Kopen is mediocre. Let's not for one minute consider him the better of Gurode and only slightly younger.

I think Gurode was a CAP cut more than talent diminish. He also had a late knee procedure that left him behind. Am I a fan?....eh! but much better than Wendell and Rich O. (who's Draft at even a 4th rounder is still a head scratcher!). Again flexibility to play Guard and Center is a plus for Gurode. Who is the Pats back up Center?.....Ohrnberger...yech! Ohrnberger almost got Brady killed.

But for my money, Brian Waters is the right guy for now. All Pro twice and Pro Bowl five times. Solid community guy. Pioli will give BB the skinny if he has not already. I understand a good locker room guy as well. He can hold the fort for a year or so until Cannon is ready. He has some miles but is in relatively good physical health and has that 'sperience BB likes. Waters would not reconstruct so he and the Chiefs mutually parted.

Austin might be a consideration over Wendell and Rich O.. Seems to be having a good camp and is mean.

DW Toys

Last edited:

ESPN says he is in Seattle being courted .... and that 5 other teasm have contacted his agent. hmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back