PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Draft....

bigcountry75

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
19th Pick: Matt Barnes RHP, Connecticut

This is a great pick for Boston. Barnes was ranked by several sites as a top 15 talent, so getting him at 19 is great value.

Tall and lanky at 6'4", Barnes has a blistering fastball in the mid 90's with a very good curve and above average change-up. His command should put him on a fast track to the show and he projects as a front-end starter with ace potential.

26th Pick: Blake Swihart C, Sue Cleveland HS (NM)

This is turning in to a great draft for Boston (as much as that makes me ill). Swihart is a top 20 talent though scouts are split on his potential based on his average defense and lack of power.

However, the switch-hitting backstop is athletic enough to improve in those areas and just at least hit for average. Looks like a Kurt Suzuki type of hitter.

36th Pick: Henry Owens LHP, Edison High School (CA)

So far, Boston is owning this draft. The 6'7" Owens is a first-round talent who has drawn comparisons to Mark Langston.

With a heavy fastball that he keeps low and a devastating 12-6 curve, Boston has added another pitcher with ace potential.

40th Pick: Jackie Bradley Jr. OF, South Carolina

Seriously, I feel like Boston has picked Toronto's pocket. That's two players I mocked as future Jays now selected by Boston.

Before his wrist injury and subsequent struggles with the bat, Bradley was thought by some to be the second-best OF prospect behind Bubba Starling.

Bradley has amazing power for a kid sub-six feet tall and although his speed is barely average, his defense is top notch. Great value here.

Grade: A+

This is a good read that I found on the players that the Sox drafted in the first round and compensatory selections.....Looks like a great reload for the farm system and hopefully at least one of the pitchers works out to give us another ace down the road......The OF we drafted looks to be a good prospect that would be nice in right field.....Could you imagine Crawford/Ellsbury/Bradley Jr in the OF? Nothing would fall in between these guys.....Anyways solid draft....

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back