PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2010 Draft Prospects.

Here's a Globe article on UMass OT Vladimir Ducasse:

For Ducasse, destiny leads to NFL draft - The Boston Globe

Ducasse probably projects to OG in the pros, though he may be able to play RT. He's a 6'5" 328# behemoth from Haiti who is still learning the game, mcuh like Sebastian Vollmer. Doubt he has Vollmer's footwork, but he may have a lot of upside. Todd McShay and Scout's Inc. currently lists him a their #30th ranked prospect. NFLdraftscout ranks him #130 among seniors and projects him to the 5th round, but he's been getting a lot of attention and sounds more like a 3rd-4th round prospect right now, possibly higher.

Ducasse probably projects to OG in the pros, though he may be able to play RT. He's a 6'5" 328# behemoth from Haiti who is still learning the game, mcuh like Sebastian Vollmer. Doubt he has Vollmer's footwork, but he may have a lot of upside. Todd McShay and Scout's Inc. currently lists him a their #30th ranked prospect. NFLdraftscout ranks him #130 among seniors and projects him to the 5th round, but he's been getting a lot of attention and sounds more like a 3rd-4th round prospect right now, possibly higher.

I'm wondering if Ducasse could play RG/RT for us. An upgrade to Kaczur would be nice. And we all know about Neal's injury issues and the dropoff when he's out of the lineup.

Brandon Graham 6'1 268lbs - 1st Round Prospect

Great motor and effort. Very good character. Brings maturity and leadership. Typical Patriot personality. Huge frame and great at run stopping. Always in the backfield. Top rated DE at scouts.com. Harasses QB's, has a nose for the ball, bats down passes. Overall good awareness and intelligence. Played on a poor Michigan defense and was the only bright spot on it. Despite a struggling team, maintained a good nature and played his heart out the entire season. A football player, not just an athlete with flashy moves.

Critics will say he lacks ideal height but so do some of the best OLB's in the league like James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil, and Lamar Woodley so it's a non-issue if you ask me.

Jerry Hughes may be a slightly better pure pass rusher, but Graham is the better all around player.

Comparison: Better version of LaMarr Woodley

Texas S Earl Thomas (red shirt sophomore) had previously announced he was returning next year, but now appears ready to come out if given a high enough grade:

Texas Could Lose Earl Thomas to NFL -- NCAAFB FanHouse

Great quote: "Obviously, you come to college to put yourself in position to make money. If I'm projected (in the draft) where I want to be projected, I'll go forward and try to play on Sundays (in the NFL)."

He seems to be unanimously considered a 1st round pick - a ballhawk who's been more productive than Eric Berry this season.

Brandon Graham 6'1 268lbs - 1st Round Prospect

Great motor and effort. Very good character. Brings maturity and leadership. Typical Patriot personality. Huge frame and great at run stopping. Always in the backfield. Top rated DE at scouts.com. Harasses QB's, has a nose for the ball, bats down passes. Overall good awareness and intelligence. Played on a poor Michigan defense and was the only bright spot on it. Despite a struggling team, maintained a good nature and played his heart out the entire season. A football player, not just an athlete with flashy moves.

Critics will say he lacks ideal height but so do some of the best OLB's in the league like James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil, and Lamar Woodley so it's a non-issue if you ask me.

Jerry Hughes may be a slightly better pure pass rusher, but Graham is the better all around player.

Comparison: Better version of LaMarr Woodley

He's too short for a BB linebacker. Did you see his comments about how he was looking for 6'5, 6'6 260 lb guys and wasn't seeing them available in the draft? If you're talking about size. Guys like Crable are what the Pats desire sizewise in their linebackers.

He's too short for a BB linebacker. Did you see his comments about how he was looking for 6'5, 6'6 260 lb guys and wasn't seeing them available in the draft? If you're talking about size. Guys like Crable are what the Pats desire sizewise in their linebackers.

I'm not saying who BB will pick (completely unpredictable), I'm saying who I personally think is a good prospect right now.

Anyways well good luck to Bill finding that Unicorn. 6'5 260lbs with talent, intelligence, motivation, good character, high motor, technique, etc...... is EXTREMELY RARE. There's only one OLB in the league even close to that and it's DeMarcus Ware.

Here's the thing though: When players like that do exist, they don't last until the 20-25th pick. They're taken in the Top 10-15.

That's what I was saying earlier, if BB is going to remain ignorant about size for OLB's then he'll have a hard time finding that mystical linebacker he's looking for. Infact BB passing on Clay Mathews last year (reportedly due to size issues) is already looking like a huge mistake.

Look at all the athletic 6'5 260lbs athletic guys we've had recently.... Shawn Crable, Pierre Woods, Vince Redd.... None have produced. You'd think BB would've learnt his lesson by now.

Last edited:

Scott Wright's latest Prospects Hot List is out:

Draft Countdown - Prospect Hot List

Some guys who have been discussed before show up:

- Vladimir Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass: "There is only one word to describe Vlad Ducasse: Massive. Most casual fans have probably never heard of or seen the 6-5, 330 pound Ducasse, who played in The Division 1 Football Championship Subdivision, but that will all change in the coming months. After absolutely dominating his competition this year Ducasse has really caught the attention of scouts and he has emerged as arguably the top small-school prospect for the 2010 NFL Draft. Despite his incredible size Ducasse is actually a very good athlete with nimble feet and good agility. Early on the assumption was that Ducasse, who protected the blind side for the Minutemen, would have to move inside to guard in the pros. While that is still a distinct possibility there are now many who feel Ducasse is perfectly capable of playing either left or right tackle at the next level as well. After entering his senior season as a mid-rounder it now appears as though Ducasse has worked his way into the initial two frames and with strong showings on the all-star circuit and in workouts he could climb even higher. Even though he isn’t a household name just yet Vlad Ducasse is undoubtedly one of the best blockers in the senior class."

- Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami: "At the start of this season Jimmy Graham had never played a single snap of college football. Now he is one of the top tight end prospects for the 2010 NFL Draft. After a solid career as a basketball player at 'The U' Graham decided to bypass a career on the hardwood overseas and try his luck on the gridirion. It looks like he made the right decision. Despite not playing organized football since high school, where he was a defensive end and wide receiver, Graham’s natural talent was evident in the spring and throughout the summer. By the time the season was set to begin Miami Coach Randy Shannon couldn’t wait to utilize Graham’s rare blend of size, speed and athleticism in the Hurricanes passing game. Although clearly raw and unrefined Graham established himself as an exceptional red zone threat, ranking second on the team with 5 receiving touchdowns. Graham also averaged more than 13 yards per catch and it’s scary to think how could he could be with a little more development. Just a few months ago Graham was a virtual unknown and a longshot to be drafted. Now he is a legitimate mid-round possibility and could climb even higher if he performs as well as expected in workouts."

TFYdraft has some udpated notes on underclassmen and the draft:

TFY

Among the interestint tidbits:

- Wisconsin junior OT/OG Gabe Carimi is leaning towards returning.
- UMass (Division II) OT/OG Vladimir Ducasse has received an invitation to the Senior Bowl.
- USC junior DE Everson Griffen is likely to return for his senior year because of some "character issues" which might affect his draft status.

"He's a 6'5" 328# behemoth"

Any guy that is described as a behemoth, i'm for drafting!

McShay now has him going in the first round in his latest mock.

McShay now has him going in the first round in his latest mock.

Yeah, Scout's Inc. has had him rated as the #1 OG prospect (over Iupati) and ranked in the top 32 for a while no. No surprise there. He could sneak into the late 1st, but I suspect 2nd round is more likely.

I'd be very happy to pick up guys from off the beaten track programs in the 2nd round, Ducasse and DE/OLB Austen Lane.

Tony Pauline's web site, TFYdraft, updates draft notes and underclassman status a couple of times a week. The latest update came out today:

TFY

Among the scuttlebut:

- A suggestion that there is still some "wiggle room" for Jack Locker to declare this year. I could see that he may reconsider given the financial implications. The general reaction to his announcement is that he'll cost himself more money than any of us will ever see in a lifetime.

- Rutgers OT Anthony Davis and Maryland OT Bruce Campbell are both highly likely to enter the draft.

- Virginia CB/S Ras-I Dowling is leaning towards entering the draft.

Can you believe there's a senior coming out this year that has finished in the top 10 in NCAA history in several different categories?

And no-one is talking about him?

Joique Bell, of Wayne State Warriors. Just spent a couple of hours watching videos and reading articles about him. He has serious talent. Harlon Hill Trophy winner for 2009, succeeding Abilene Christian (and now Bengals RB) Bernard Scott.

6'1", 223 lbs. He's a four year starter, and his numbers read like this:

2006 - 11 games, 348 carries, 2065 yards, avg 5.9 ypc, 22 TD's.
2007 - 11 games, 289 carries, 1427 yards, avg 4.9 ypc, 25 TD's.
2008 - 11 games, 218 carries, 1152 yards, avg 5.3 ypc, 12 TD's.
2009 - 11 games, 326 carries, 2084 yards, avg 6.4 ypc, 29 TD's.

He can also receive out of the backfield:

2006 - 14 receptions, 169 yards, 12.3 ypc, 1 TD.
2007 - 22 receptions, 230 yards, 10.5 ypc, 3 TD's.
2008 - 20 receptions, 226 yards, 11.3 ypc, 1 TD.
2009 - 23 receptions, 293 yards, 12.7 ypc, 3 TD's.

In High School he was a 3 way player - QB/RB, KR, and DB, as well as playing Basketball and also competed in track. He's also majoring in Criminal Justice.

Smart, versatile and productive.....are you thinking what I'm thinking?

:)

Smart, versatile and productive.....are you thinking what I'm thinking?

:)

"Umm, I think so, BritPat, but what if the chicken won't wear the nylons?"

Seriously, though—7th round pick?

"Umm, I think so, BritPat, but what if the chicken won't wear the nylons?"

Seriously, though—7th round pick?

He he.

I was thinking more likely UDFA if the Draft is really deep, although he's a definite round 5 and after prospect. I mentioned Bernard Scott in that post - he was drafted in round 6 last year, and Bell has comfortably out-performed him.

He he.

I was thinking more likely UDFA if the Draft is really deep, although he's a definite round 5 and after prospect. I mentioned Bernard Scott in that post - he was drafted in round 6 last year, and Bell has comfortably out-performed him.
Scott slid a bit due to character concerns, does Bell have any reported baggage?

Scott slid a bit due to character concerns, does Bell have any reported baggage?

Not as far as I'm aware, I've stopped searching for now, but will be looking again later.

Thanks . BTW,
NLF Draft 2009
Pick Player
Rd 2, Pick 2 (34) Chung, Patrick SS
Rd 2, Pick 8 (40) Brace, Ron DT
Rd 2, Pick 9 (41) Butler, Darius CB
Rd 2, Pick 26 (58) Vollmer, Sebastian OL
Rd 3, Pick 19 (83) Tate, Brandon WR
Rd 3, Pick 33 (97) McKenzie, Tyrone OLB
Rd 4, Pick 23 (123) Ohrnberger, Rich OG
Rd 5, Pick 34 (170) Bussey, George OT
Rd 6, Pick 25 (198) Ingram, Jake LS