PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to find footage on Veldheer.....

Need to find footage on Veldheer.....

Scott Wright from NFLdraftcountdown currently has Veldheer rated as his #10 senior OT, ahead of Adam Ulatowksi or Texas and Sam Young of Notre Dame.

Draft Countdown - 2010 NFL Draft | Offensive Tackle Rankings

Sounds like a 3rd/4th round prospect if he works out well. Vollmer's success may cause someone to reach in the late 2nd, but he sounds too raw for that. It will be interesting to see if he gets a Senior Bowl or Combine invite.

Scott Wright from NFLdraftcountdown currently has Veldheer rated as his #10 senior OT, ahead of Adam Ulatowksi or Texas and Sam Young of Notre Dame.

Draft Countdown - 2010 NFL Draft | Offensive Tackle Rankings

Sounds like a 3rd/4th round prospect if he works out well. Vollmer's success may cause someone to reach in the late 2nd, but he sounds too raw for that. It will be interesting to see if he gets a Senior Bowl or Combine invite.

Cheers Mayo. What I'd say is that Vollmer was seen as a late round prospect even after his impressive bowl games and work out, but a few teams seemed to like him more and more closer to Draft day and he rose for seemingly no apparent reason.

We could see that with Veldheer, especially if the comparisons with Vollmer hold true.

Just putting this name up there for future reference, as he likely won't come out this year.

Brian Lainhart, Junior, FS, Kent State. 6'1" 207lbs.

He finished the year with 87 tackles, 7 INT's, 4 PBU's and 4 FF's. He made ESPN's All-Nonautomatic Qualifying Team (along with Freshman WR Tyshon Goode who made the All-Freshman team).

There's another Junior at KSU who might garner some interest next year as well - DE Monte Simmons. Ended the year with 56 total tackles, 16 for a loss and 8 sacks. He's on the small side though and might be better used as an OLB - he's listed as 6'3" and 223lbs. I wonder if he could put on a few pounds and play ILB in the 3-4?

Scott Wright from NFLdraftcountdown has a profile up on Terrence "Mount" Cody:

Terrence Cody | Alabama Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

The summary:

Terrence Cody
Nose Tackle, Alabama - Senior
Height: 6-5
Weight: 365
40-Time: 5.80

Strengths:

Rare size with a huge frame --- Long arms --- Terrific strength --- Light on his feet --- Extremely stout at the point of attack --- Can take on and occupy multiple blockers --- Has the ability to shed blocks --- Splits double teams --- Gets an outstanding push up the middle --- Powerful tackler --- A dominant force against the run --- Instincts are sufficient.

Weaknesses:

Major conditioning and stamina issues --- Provides little or nothing as a pass rusher --- Range is extremely limited --- Isn't explosive and lacks a burst --- Is not very quick or agile --- Can use his hands better --- Plays too high at times --- Limited schematically --- Is intelligence a concern?

Notes:

Nicname is "Mount Cody" --- Was a two-year starter for the Crimson Tide --- JUCO transfer from Gulf Coast Community College --- Earned All-American honors in 2008 and 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-SEC as a junior and senior --- Weight has reportedly hovered around the 400 lb. mark in the past --- Has the ability to be an anchor in the middle of a defensive line but could just as easily bust if he can't keep his appetite in check --- One-dimensional run stuffer --- Prototypical 3-4 nose tackle.

Wright rates Cody as a "2nd or 3rd round prospect", which seems low. I can't imagine him falling out of the 3rd round given all of the teams that could use a 3-4 NT, though there are rumors that Tennessee junior Dan Williams may pass Cody up as the #1 NT prospect if he comes out.

If we don't keep Wilfork, I'd be happy with either Cody or Williams in the late 1st round.

Speaking of OL, what do people think about OG Jon Asamoah out of Illinois? Based on what I've read about him, including this CBS Sportsline analysis, he seems like a guy that the Patriots might look at for one of their second round selections. Here is the Sportsline write-up:

Pass blocking: Tough to beat in pass protection because of his length and anchor. Uses his long arms and re-adjusts hands when needed to keep his man at a distance. His pads get a bit tall but he manages to keep his lean and move his feet to stay in front. Extends his arms, does not punch. Must recover more quickly if punched or ripped off. Agile and flexible enough to pick up late blitzers, but needs to be more aware.

Run blocking: Excellent body control on the line and in space. Uses defender's momentum to take him out of the hole, but is also strong enough to turn a tackle. Strong on double teams; moves nose tackle well out of the hole. Allows defenders to get under his pads at times when blocking on the move. Does not drive block often in Minnesota's spread offense, but gets low and looks strong in goal-line situations.

Pulling/trapping: Moves well for a guard of his height. Gets around the center quickly to find a target when on the move. Runs a bit high; must sink his hips to keep leverage after contact. Effectively cut blocks, getting in front to prevent clipping calls.

Initial Quickness: Fires off the ball on run plays, staying low for his height and getting his hands up into a jersey quickly. Good quickness off the snap in pass protection.

Downfield: Very good feet, easily gets to second or third level and consistently hits the MIKE or another inside target. Smooth runner in space. Latches onto linebackers and does not let go - often putting them on the ground, unless he wants to move on to the next player. Must be more consistent keeping his feet through trash.

Intangibles: Excellent practice and weight room habits. Plays with some nastiness on the field, but is a jovial leader in the locker room. Awarded best effort award for last spring, along with an award for having the team's highest grades.

Here's a scouting report on CB Joe Haden by Matt Maguire of Walter Football:

WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Joe Haden

Joe Haden Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

- Ridiculous level of production
- Terrific closing burst
- Eliminates space quickly
- Breaks on ball smoothly
- Has long speed to play on island
- Very fluid hips
- Physical corner; gets nice jam at LOS
- Takes on blocks
- Really lays the wood for a corner
- Terrific in run support
- Nice ball skills
- Locates the football well in air
- Nice timing on jump balls
- Has soft hands
- Effective on corner/nickel blitz (3 sacks, 3 hurries in 2009)
- Played a lot of press man coverage
- Well coached
- Intense football player
- Wonderful skill set
- Still has some upside

Weaknesses:

- Lacks some awareness and instincts
- Could anticipate routes better
- Sometimes loses focus
- Vulnerable to inside moves
- Some question listed height
- Unimpressive in zone

Summary:

Joe Haden is a very talented cornerback with a very well-rounded game, but some teams might be scared off by his lacking instincts, which is critical at the NFL level where pro receivers are great route runners. Haden's level of production and consistency will get him drafted in the top 15 picks. He is one of the better cornerback prospects in the last couple years. He shut down Alabama receiver Julio Jones in the 2009 SEC Championship.

[/b]Player Comparison:[/b]

Leon Hall. Similar size, speed and skill set. Hall is also a great player against the run. [/i]

Here's a scouting report on DE Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech by Matt Maguire of Walter Football:

WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Derrick Morgan

Derrick Morgan Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

- Solid height and great bulk/strength
- Shows very nice burst off the snap; good first step
- Good closing speed
- Great flexibility
- Dips and bends; runs the tight horn to QB
- Has improved hand use
- Gets good leverage
- Nice pass rush repertoire (spin, club, rip, etc.)
- Plays with consistent effort; love his motor
- Really sets the edge
- Can play left or right end
- Balanced end against run and pass
- Good range in pursuit
- Competitive
- Shown a lot of technical improvement from sophomore to junior season
- Great all-around skill set
- Very polished for his age (20)
- Still has some upside

Weaknesses:

- Very sluggish hips; can't drop into zone
- Not the most comfortable in space
- Lacks some agility
- Hand use could still be more consistent
- Needs to develop some counter moves
- Can't play in the 3-4 at outside linebacker
- Disengagement technique could improve

Summary:

Derrick Morgan's stock has really risen this season and I expect him to come off the board in the top 20 picks now. There is so much value for pass rushers in the 4-3 scheme in the league since they are so hard to come by, but Morgan's well-rounded skill set and potential will make him of value to NFL teams.

NFL Fans of 3-4 teams: don't get your hopes up. Morgan really struggles when dropping into coverage. He is most comfortable with his hand in the ground. I've really liked Morgan since his Clemson game in 2009 and he has shown great consistency throughout the year producing 12.5 sacks as of Nov. 15. His production and athleticism will get noticed by NFL teams.

Player Comparison:

Patrick Kerney. Kerney's motor, strength, and initial quickness has made him a successful player in the NFL. I see similar traits in Morgan.

Here's a profile from Scott Wright at NFLdraftcountdown on LB Eric Norwood:

Eric Norwood | South Carolina Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

Eric Norwood
LB, South Carolina - Senior
Height: 6-1
Weight: 252
40-Time: 4.70

Strengths:

Good bulk with a stout frame --- Strong and powerful --- Outstanding blitzer / pass rusher --- Good tackler --- Nice range --- Does a great job in pursuit --- Plays with terrific leverage --- Uses his hands well --- Good balance --- Instinctive --- Fantastic motor --- Very competitive --- Lots of big-time experience --- Team leader --- Tough --- Durable --- Productive.

Weaknesses:

Shorter than you'd prefer --- Average athleticism --- Is not overly quick or fast --- Does not match up well in coverage --- Lacks great awareness with the ball in the air --- Too aggressive at times --- Some trouble getting off blocks --- Sub par ball skills --- Limited schematically?

Notes:

Was a three-year starter for the Game****s --- Earned 1st Team All-American honors as a senior --- Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2007, 2008 and 2009 --- South Carolina's all-time leader in both sacks and tackles for a loss --- Originally declared for the 2009 NFL Draft but ultimately pulled his name out --- Also a good kick blocker --- Appears to be a DE / OLB 'tweener --- Playmaker who is always around the action and has a knack for shining on big stages --- Best fit will likely come in a 3-4 scheme --- Lacks ideal physical tools but is just a good football player --- Could draw favorable comparisons to James Harrison.

Here's a profile from Scott Wright at NFLdraftcountdown on LB Eric Norwood:

Eric Norwood | South Carolina Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

Eric Norwood
LB, South Carolina - Senior
Height: 6-1
Weight: 252
40-Time: 4.70

Strengths:

Good bulk with a stout frame --- Strong and powerful --- Outstanding blitzer / pass rusher --- Good tackler --- Nice range --- Does a great job in pursuit --- Plays with terrific leverage --- Uses his hands well --- Good balance --- Instinctive --- Fantastic motor --- Very competitive --- Lots of big-time experience --- Team leader --- Tough --- Durable --- Productive.

Weaknesses:

Shorter than you'd prefer --- Average athleticism --- Is not overly quick or fast --- Does not match up well in coverage --- Lacks great awareness with the ball in the air --- Too aggressive at times --- Some trouble getting off blocks --- Sub par ball skills --- Limited schematically?

Notes:

Was a three-year starter for the Game****s --- Earned 1st Team All-American honors as a senior --- Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2007, 2008 and 2009 --- South Carolina's all-time leader in both sacks and tackles for a loss --- Originally declared for the 2009 NFL Draft but ultimately pulled his name out --- Also a good kick blocker --- Appears to be a DE / OLB 'tweener --- Playmaker who is always around the action and has a knack for shining on big stages --- Best fit will likely come in a 3-4 scheme --- Lacks ideal physical tools but is just a good football player --- Could draw favorable comparisons to James Harrison.

Watched some of that SC vs UConn game and Norwood didn't impress me. Missed a few tackles on guys like Toddman out in space, didn't impress me with his ability to stack and shed, undersized, not enough speed, don't get the feel that he'd be good in coverage. What's your view on him?

I like Andre Dixon as a late round RB if we don't bring back Morris or Taylor. I think Dixon is a pretty solid back who had some off field issues early on but has matured.

Marcus Easley, WR, Connecticut could be a very interesting prospect for us. Reminds me a bit of Hines Ward. Only had one year where he got thrown to (since, before then, UCONN's passing offense was abysmal) but is 6'2, 216 and an absolute animal after the catch. Had an 88 yard catch and run TD vs. West Virginia off a short slant route. Just ridiculous athleticism. His main weakness in my eyes, slightly shaky hands, can be cured with repetitions considering he barely got the ball thrown to him before this year and still only had like 3-4 drops all season (towards the end, most of them), not to mention that he made some phenomenal catches as well that serve to pseudo balance those out. Should run a 4.4 40. Either him or Kelton Tindal of Newberry could be steals late in the draft. Easley reminds me a lot of Hines Ward with his ability to block as well.

Like him a lot. If he had more year-to-year production, he'd be a first or second rounder IMO. Who knows, he might still reach that threshold if he does well at the Combine (possible) but more likely he'll be a late round pick.

Marcus Easley, WR, Connecticut could be a very interesting prospect for us. Reminds me a bit of Hines Ward. Only had one year where he got thrown to (since, before then, UCONN's passing offense was abysmal) but is 6'2, 216 and an absolute animal after the catch. Had an 88 yard catch and run TD vs. West Virginia off a short slant route. Just ridiculous athleticism. His main weakness in my eyes, slightly shaky hands, can be cured with repetitions considering he barely got the ball thrown to him before this year and still only had like 3-4 drops all season (towards the end, most of them), not to mention that he made some phenomenal catches as well that serve to pseudo balance those out. Should run a 4.4 40. Either him or Kelton Tindal of Newberry could be steals late in the draft. Easley reminds me a lot of Hines Ward with his ability to block as well.

Like him a lot. If he had more year-to-year production, he'd be a first or second rounder IMO. Who knows, he might still reach that threshold if he does well at the Combine (possible) but more likely he'll be a late round pick.
He had a good game against South Carolina, I believe he's playing in Texas vs The Nation.

I have "unstuck" this thread and we can put up another after the draft for 2011 prospects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back