PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2010 Draft Prospects.

I haven't seen this guy play much so I am going to try to catch some of his games in the coming weeks, but hearing you compare him to Shawne Merriman makes him extremely intriguing. I love Shawne Merriman (minus the roids and attitude) and was hoping maybe we would take a shot at him in free agency this year, but if we can land this guy in the draft I'd much rather that. Shawne Merriman talent minus the attitude and knee injury plus a cheaper contract = perfect for our OLB need.

The other guy Morgan reminds me a bit of is Robert Ayers in that he is strong against the run, very good at setting the edge, and can drop into coverage as well as rush. But Morgan is much, much stronger than Ayers and a much better rusher. He has something like 11+ sacks this year, Ayers had 3 last year, and there's no one on Georgia Tech's line who can bring any pressure besides Morgan. Teams haven't been able to stop him. His strength and relentless drive reminds me of Merriman.

We've talked about him a bit on this board. I started a thread a couple of months ago about him:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/274274-sean-weatherspoon.html

My thoughts are currently something like this:

1. He clearly is one of the elite coverage, pursuit and tackling LBs in the country.

2. Prior to this year I thought he was purely a 4-3 weakside backer without the size or physicality to play for the Pats.

3. He has now bulked up to the 245+ range without a loss of speed. Now he reminds me more of Patrick Willis than anyone since Willis came out. I think he could be a dynamic playmaker at both 3-4 WILB and 4-3 WILL, making plays all over the field. He and Mayo could be terrific together.

4. With us playing more 4-3 mixed with 3-4 I could see hybrids who can play both schemes being highly prized, and could see him being in the mix for the Pats.

5. With that said, Gary Guyton's development this year has made Weatherspoon somewhat of a luxury. They bring the same kind of skill set. Weatherspoon might be more talented than Guyton but Guyton has a 2 year head start. Tyrone McKenzie also has some of the same kind of skills. Someone like Rolando McClain or Eric Norwood is a better complement to what we already have than Weatherspoon.

6. Given the need for pass rushers (not Weatherspoon's forte), I'm not sure I can see prioritizing a player like Weatherspoon over a top rusher like Greg Hardy or Derrick Morgan. I don't think Weatherspoon will last pass the first round with teams like Atlanta and New Orleans being good fits for him.

So right now he'd definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on and in the mix as a possibility, but he's not someone I consider at the top of my list. But I like him a lot as a player.

So whick LB do you think would best fit the Pats?

So whick LB do you think would best fit the Pats?

I think versatility is key. BB will be looking for guys who can excel in different schemes.

If I'm looking for a guy who can play 3-4 SILB and 4-3 SAM then my preferred candidates are Rolando McClain and Eric Norwood. Brandon Spikes is probably also in the mix, though I prefer the first two guys.

If I'm looking for a guy who can play 3-4 WILB and 4-3 WILL then my preferred candidate is Sean Weatherspoon. No one else is really on the list.

If I'm looking for a guy who can play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 SAM then my preferred candidates are Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, and possibly Jeremy Beal. Ricky Sapp and Brandon Lang may also be in the mix, though I'm not sure they can set the edge for us.

If I'm looking for a guy who can play 4-3 DE and 3-4 elephant then my preferred candidates are Greg Hardy and Derrick Morgan. Everson Griffen and Jason Pierre-Paul are also in the mix, and possibly also Jeremy Beal (not quite sure where Beal fits yet). Carlos Dunlap may also be a possibility, though I'm not at all convinced about him yet.

Other very good LBs who I don't see being fits for us include Travis Lewis of Oklahoma (pure 4-3 WILL) and Von Miller of Texas A&M (3-4 rush OLB in the James Harrison/Elvis Dumervil mold but too slight to set the edge for us).

The other guy Morgan reminds me a bit of is Robert Ayers in that he is strong against the run, very good at setting the edge, and can drop into coverage as well as rush. But Morgan is much, much stronger than Ayers and a much better rusher. He has something like 11+ sacks this year, Ayers had 3 last year, and there's no one on Georgia Tech's line who can bring any pressure besides Morgan. Teams haven't been able to stop him. His strength and relentless drive reminds me of Merriman.

That's the complete package right there and our biggest need on defense. I've gotta catch some of his games down the stretch. I really want to see us keep building up our defensive arsenal. I'd love to add an OLB pass rushing demon like Morgan. I'd also love to add Mcclain or Spikes. And I personally want to add another young CB to the mix because Springs should be gone next year and I'm not convinced Bodden is the answer I'm not a big fan of his. I think Wilhite and Butler can both develop into great starters for us but I'm concerned with the development of Wheatley. I thought Syd'quan Thompson would be a good option in the 2nd or 3rd round.

On offense we could probably use a guard to replace Neal and a young power back like Blount.

That's the complete package right there and our biggest need on defense. I've gotta catch some of his games down the stretch. I really want to see us keep building up our defensive arsenal. I'd love to add an OLB pass rushing demon like Morgan. I'd also love to add Mcclain or Spikes. And I personally want to add another young CB to the mix because Springs should be gone next year and I'm not convinced Bodden is the answer I'm not a big fan of his. I think Wilhite and Butler can both develop into great starters for us but I'm concerned with the development of Wheatley. I thought Syd'quan Thompson would be a good option in the 2nd or 3rd round.

On offense we could probably use a guard to replace Neal and a young power back like Blount.

I don't want us taking a DB before the 4th round given our other needs. Personally I hope we resign Bodden.

I'm with you on an OL and a power back in addition to pass rushers. A lot of mocks have the Pats going after an all-purpose back like Spiller or Best, but I think a power back is a much better complement to what we already have.

I don't want us taking a DB before the 4th round given our other needs. Personally I hope we resign Bodden.

I'm with you on an OL and a power back in addition to pass rushers. A lot of mocks have the Pats going after an all-purpose back like Spiller or Best, but I think a power back is a much better complement to what we already have.

Yeah if we can find another Wilhite in the 4th round that would be fine by me. Obviously it'd be great to find another Asante in 4th round, that would be optimal :p. I love Spiller he is one of my favorite players in college and has been for the past few years and while I would leave to see one of my favorite players on my favorite team, we just don't need him so I definitely would like to see us add a power back.

I really liked Blount going into the season after seeing him in his junior year and hearing Mayock call him a mini Brandon Jacobs with more speed. Good convo as always with you Mayo.

So these are basically my top 10 for each position:

RB:
1. C.J. Spiller - Clemson
2. Johnathan Dwyer - Georgia Tech
3. Jahvid Best - California
4. Ryan Mathews - Fresno State

These are the main guys I want for RB.

5. Evan Royster - Penn State
6. Noel Devine - WVU

Then these two.

7. Anthony Dixon - Miss. State
8. Toby Gerhart - Stanford
9. Joe McKnight - USC
10. DeMarco Murray - Oklahoma

Then these.

3-4 OLB:
1. Derrick Morgan - Georgia Tech
2. Brandon Graham - Michigan

These two are the main ones I want. But I would be ecstatic if we got any o the others.

3. Greg Hardy - Ole Miss
4. Everson Griffin - USC
5. Greg Romeus - Pittsburgh
6. Von Miller - Texas A&M
7. Ricky Sapp - Clemson
8. Jerry Hughes - TCU
9. Sergio Kendle - Texas
10. Eric Norwood - South Carolina

3-4 ILB:

1. Rolando McCain - Alabama
2. Brandon Spikes - Florida

Basically the same as 3-4 OLB.

3. Bruce Carter - North Carolina
4. Navarro Bowman - Penn State
5. Sean Weatherspoon - Missouri
6. Michael Morgan - USC
7. Greg Jones - Michigan State
8. Quan Sturdivant - North Carolina
9. Sean Lee - Penn State
10. Mark Herzlich - Georgia

3-4 DE:

1. Ndamukong Suh - Nebraska
2. Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma

I really doubt the Pats would get either of these two, but if they did I'd probably cream myself, for lack of a bgetter phrase.

3. Carlos Dunlap - Florida
4. Marvin Austen - North Carolina
5. Brian Price - UCLA
6. Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
7. Corey Wooton - Northwestern
8. Allen Bailey - Miami
9. Tyson Aluala - California
10. Arthur Jones - Syracuse

OG:
1. Mike Iupati - Idaho
2. Rodney Hudson - Florida State
3. Mike Puncey - Florida
4. Jon Asamoah - Illinois
5. Mike Johnson - Alabama
6. Mitch Petrus - Arkansas
7. Orlando Franklin - Miami
8. Stephen Schilling - Michigan
9. John Bender - Nevada
10. Zack Heberer - USC

Here are the rest of the positions if you're interested:

QB:

1. Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame
2. Sam Bradford - Oklahoma
3. Colt McCoy - Texas
4. Jake Locker - Washington
5. Tim Tebow - Florida
6. Jevan Snead - Mississippi
7. Tony Pike - Cincinnati
8. Dan LeFevour - Central Michigan
9. Jarrett Brown - WVU
10. John Skelton - Fordham

WR:

1. Dez Bryant - Oklahoma State
2. Damian Williams - USC
3. Brandon LaFell - LSU
4. Golden Tate - Notre Dame
5. Mardy Gilyard - Cinicnnati
6. Arrelious Benn - Illinois
7. Jeremy Williams - Tulane
8. Jacoby Ford - Clemson
9. Jordan Shipley - Texas
10. Terrance Tolliver - LSU

Safety:

1. Eric Berry - Tennessee
2. Taylor Mays - USC
3. Chad Jones - LSU
4. DeAndre McDaniel - Clemson
5. Nate Allen - USF
6. Morgan Burnett - Georgia Tech
7. Darrell Stuckey - Kansas
8. T.J. Ward - Oregon
9. Ahmad Black - Florida
10. Harry Coleman - LSU

Cornerbacks:

1. Joe Haden - Florida
2. Ras-I-Dowling - Virginia
3. Kareem Jackson - Alabama
4. Donovan Warren - Michigan
5. Patrick Robinson - Florida State
6. Brandon Ghee - Wake Forest
7. Syd'Quan Thompson - California
8. Perrish Cox - Oklahoma State
9. Dominique Franks - Oklahoma
10. Trevard Linley - Kentuckey

Don't really feel like typing anymore. I'll probably post the rest later.

So these are basically my top 10 for each position:

Nice work. Some comments on individual positional rankings:

RB:
1. C.J. Spiller - Clemson
2. Johnathan Dwyer - Georgia Tech
3. Jahvid Best - California
4. Ryan Mathews - Fresno State

These are the main guys I want for RB.

5. Evan Royster - Penn State
6. Noel Devine - WVU

Then these two.

7. Anthony Dixon - Miss. State
8. Toby Gerhart - Stanford
9. Joe McKnight - USC
10. DeMarco Murray - Oklahoma

Then these.

I'd rather have a power back than an all-purpose back. Best, Spiller and Devine are fine players, but I don't think we need that kind of player as much as a power back to complement Maroney, with Morris and Taylor aging and injury prone. I see Brandon Tate becoming our all-purpose guy. Of Best and Spiller I prefer Best, but I just don't see spending that high a pick on that kind of player (a late round pick, yes - I wanted Devin Moore of Wyomin, but that was pre-Tate).

I rank Mathews slightly ahead of Dwyer right now, based on his ability to do more things (including block and receive) and his home run capability. But I like both guys a lot.

I'm not impressed with Evan Royster. I'd rather have Gerhart or Dixon as a mid-round prospect.

3-4 OLB:
1. Derrick Morgan - Georgia Tech
2. Brandon Graham - Michigan

These two are the main ones I want. But I would be ecstatic if we got any o the others.

3. Greg Hardy - Ole Miss
4. Everson Griffin - USC
5. Greg Romeus - Pittsburgh
6. Von Miller - Texas A&M
7. Ricky Sapp - Clemson
8. Jerry Hughes - TCU
9. Sergio Kendle - Texas
10. Eric Norwood - South Carolina

I think Graham and Romeus are more 4-3 DEs than 3-4 OLBs. I'm not sure either has the ability to play in space. I like both, but not for the Pats.

I divide this position into primary DE guys who can play the elephant, and guys who are 3-4 OLBs who could also play SAM:

- The former group includes Morgan, Hardy and Griffen. I would also put Jason Pierre-Paul and Carlos Dunlap in the same group. Romeus might qualify, but I think he's too stiff to play in space. Of the 5 guys I've listed, I think all 5 would be dynamic playmakers for the Pats.

- The second group includes Sapp, Hughes, Kindle and Norwood. I prefer Kindle and Hughes for the Pats. I don't think Sapp is strong enough at the edge and against the run. I love Norwood, but I see him more as an SILB for us because of his lack of height (6'1") which would limit him at OLB. He could certainly play SAM for us, and 3-4 OLB in a pinch. I think Von Miller is a pure rush OLB and doesn't do enough of the other things which BB demands in his OLBs. Nice rusher, though. The guy I may like most of all is junior Jeremy Beal of Oklahoma (6'3" 257#), who is sort of a hybrid between Hughes and Kindle, and who originally came to OU as a linebacker. He's flying under the rader, but I think he's a big time player.

3-4 ILB:

1. Rolando McCain - Alabama
2. Brandon Spikes - Florida

Basically the same as 3-4 OLB.

3. Bruce Carter - North Carolina
4. Navarro Bowman - Penn State
5. Sean Weatherspoon - Missouri
6. Michael Morgan - USC
7. Greg Jones - Michigan State
8. Quan Sturdivant - North Carolina
9. Sean Lee - Penn State
10. Mark Herzlich - Georgia

As mentioned above, I consider Eric Norwood more of an SILB than a 3-4 OLB prospect for the Pats. I rank him behind Ronald McClain and ahead of Brandon Spikes.

Sean Weatherspoon is a great player, but I don't see him being stout enough to play ILB for the Pats. Maybe WILB, but Mayo and Guyton already do a lot of the things which Weatherspoon does.

Herzlich was great last year, but he has major health issues, and I don't think he'll be coming out this year.

I don't like any of the other guys you listed for the Pats at ILB. They're all too slight and not strong enough at the point.

Two guys who I do like, after the elite top 3: Chris Galippo of USC (6'2" 255# red shirt sophomore) and Pat Angerer of Iowa. Angerer is only 235# but plays very tough, and if he could bulk up 10-15 lbs. he would be solid.

3-4 DE:

1. Ndamukong Suh - Nebraska
2. Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma

I really doubt the Pats would get either of these two, but if they did I'd probably cream myself, for lack of a better phrase.

3. Carlos Dunlap - Florida
4. Marvin Austen - North Carolina
5. Brian Price - UCLA
6. Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
7. Corey Wooton - Northwestern
8. Allen Bailey - Miami
9. Tyson Aluala - California
10. Arthur Jones - Syracuse

Suh is the obvious #1 3-4 DE prospect. I'm not sure McCoy is a great 3-4 DE candidate, though. He's much more of a penetrating UT. I also see Brian Price as more of a pure 3-4 DE.

I don't see Carlos Dunlap as a 3-4 DE. It's just not his game at all. I also don't think he's 290 lbs., more like 270. I see him more as a 4-3 DE/elephant prospect than a 3-4 DE.

Cameron Heyward and Corey Wooton are both extremelyintriguing. The sky is the limit for both. Wooton is just beginning to regain his 2008 pre-injury form. Heyward would be a stud. He may have the highest upside of any 3-4 DE prospect. He's everything that Dunlap is not as a 3-4 DE prospect.

Arthur Jones is definitely one of the better 3-4 DE prospects. I also think Jared Odrick of Penn State is a solid 3-4 DE. Marvin Austin and Allen Bailey are also solid 3-4 DE prospects.

Two guys not on your list who I really like are Florida junior Lawrence Marsh (6'5" 305# and very athletic) and Iowa junior Adrian Clayborn (6'3" 282#). I think Marsh is very much in the Seymour mold as an athletic 3-4 DE. He's flying under the radar right now and could be a steal. Clayborn is a tad undersized right now, but just makes plays.

OG:
1. Mike Iupati - Idaho
2. Rodney Hudson - Florida State
3. Mike Puncey - Florida
4. Jon Asamoah - Illinois
5. Mike Johnson - Alabama
6. Mitch Petrus - Arkansas
7. Orlando Franklin - Miami
8. Stephen Schilling - Michigan
9. John Bender - Nevada
10. Zack Heberer - USC

I love Iupati, as I've mentioned previously. Of the Pouncey twins, I think that Maurkice Pouncey is much more talented than Mike; he also has the versatility to play both center and guard, which BB would appreciate. Those are my top 2 guys. I also think Wisconsin RT Gabe Carmini could probably play a vicious RG for us.

You left out OT prospects. Look forward to seeing your rankings there.

Again, great job.

Nice work. Some comments on individual positional rankings:

I'd rather have a power back than an all-purpose back. Best, Spiller and Devine are fine players, but I don't think we need that kind of player as much as a power back to complement Maroney, with Morris and Taylor aging and injury prone. I see Brandon Tate becoming our all-purpose guy. Of Best and Spiller I prefer Best, but I just don't see spending that high a pick on that kind of player (a late round pick, yes - I wanted Devin Moore of Wyomin, but that was pre-Tate).

I rank Mathews slightly ahead of Dwyer right now, based on his ability to do more things (including block and receive) and his home run capability. But I like both guys a lot.

I'm not impressed with Evan Royster. I'd rather have Gerhart or Dixon as a mid-round prospect.

I think Graham and Romeus are more 4-3 DEs than 3-4 OLBs. I'm not sure either has the ability to play in space. I like both, but not for the Pats.

I divide this position into primary DE guys who can play the elephant, and guys who are 3-4 OLBs who could also play SAM:

- The former group includes Morgan, Hardy and Griffen. I would also put Jason Pierre-Paul and Carlos Dunlap in the same group. Romeus might qualify, but I think he's too stiff to play in space. Of the 5 guys I've listed, I think all 5 would be dynamic playmakers for the Pats.

- The second group includes Sapp, Hughes, Kindle and Norwood. I prefer Kindle and Hughes for the Pats. I don't think Sapp is strong enough at the edge and against the run. I love Norwood, but I see him more as an SILB for us because of his lack of height (6'1") which would limit him at OLB. He could certainly play SAM for us, and 3-4 OLB in a pinch. I think Von Miller is a pure rush OLB and doesn't do enough of the other things which BB demands in his OLBs. Nice rusher, though. The guy I may like most of all is junior Jeremy Beal of Oklahoma (6'3" 257#), who is sort of a hybrid between Hughes and Kindle, and who originally came to OU as a linebacker. He's flying under the rader, but I think he's a big time player.

As mentioned above, I consider Eric Norwood more of an SILB than a 3-4 OLB prospect for the Pats. I rank him behind Ronald McClain and ahead of Brandon Spikes.

Sean Weatherspoon is a great player, but I don't see him being stout enough to play ILB for the Pats. Maybe WILB, but Mayo and Guyton already do a lot of the things which Weatherspoon does.

Herzlich was great last year, but he has major health issues, and I don't think he'll be coming out this year.

I don't like any of the other guys you listed for the Pats at ILB. They're all too slight and not strong enough at the point.

Two guys who I do like, after the elite top 3: Chris Galippo of USC (6'2" 255# red shirt sophomore) and Pat Angerer of Iowa. Angerer is only 235# but plays very tough, and if he could bulk up 10-15 lbs. he would be solid.

Suh is the obvious #1 3-4 DE prospect. I'm not sure McCoy is a great 3-4 DE candidate, though. He's much more of a penetrating UT. I also see Brian Price as more of a pure 3-4 DE.

I don't see Carlos Dunlap as a 3-4 DE. It's just not his game at all. I also don't think he's 290 lbs., more like 270. I see him more as a 4-3 DE/elephant prospect than a 3-4 DE.

Cameron Heyward and Corey Wooton are both extremelyintriguing. The sky is the limit for both. Wooton is just beginning to regain his 2008 pre-injury form. Heyward would be a stud. He may have the highest upside of any 3-4 DE prospect. He's everything that Dunlap is not as a 3-4 DE prospect.

Arthur Jones is definitely one of the better 3-4 DE prospects. I also think Jared Odrick of Penn State is a solid 3-4 DE. Marvin Austin and Allen Bailey are also solid 3-4 DE prospects.

Two guys not on your list who I really like are Florida junior Lawrence Marsh (6'5" 305# and very athletic) and Iowa junior Adrian Clayborn (6'3" 282#). I think Marsh is very much in the Seymour mold as an athletic 3-4 DE. He's flying under the radar right now and could be a steal. Clayborn is a tad undersized right now, but just makes plays.

I love Iupati, as I've mentioned previously. Of the Pouncey twins, I think that Maurkice Pouncey is much more talented than Mike; he also has the versatility to play both center and guard, which BB would appreciate. Those are my top 2 guys. I also think Wisconsin RT Gabe Carmini could probably play a vicious RG for us.

You left out OT prospects. Look forward to seeing your rankings there.

Again, great job.

Thanks for the input.

Here are the rest:

OT:

1. Russell Okung - Oklahoma State
2. Bryan Bulaga - Iowa
3. Trent Williams - Oklahoma
4. Charles Brown - USC
5. Anthony Davis - Rutgers
6. Bruce Campbell - Maryland
7. Selvish Capers - WVU
8. Gabe Carimi - Winsconsin
9. Jarriel King - South Carolina
10. Jason Fox - Miami

WR:

2. Damian Williams - USC
3. Brandon LaFell - LSU
5. Mardy Gilyand - Cincinnati
8. Jacoby Ford - Clemson

Safety:

2. Taylor Mays - USC
3. Chad Jones - LSU
5. Nate Allen - USF
8. T.J. Ward - Oregon
9. Ahmad Black - Florida
10. Harry Coleman - LSU

CB:

1. Joe Haden - Florida
2. Ras - I - Dowling - Virginia
10. Trevard Linley - Kentucky

TE:

1. Jermain Gresham - Oklahoma
2. Weslye Saunders - South Carolina
3. Anthony McCoy - USC
4. Ed ****son - Oregon
5. Luke Stocker - Tennessee
6. Dennis Pitta - Brigham Young
7. Lance Kendricks - Winsconsin
8. Jeron Mastrud - Kansas State
9. Charlie Gantt - Michigan State
10. Mike McNeill - Nebraska

Center:

1. Maurkice Pouncey - Florida
2. Kristofer O'Dowd - USC
3. Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State
4. Matt Tennant - Boston College
5. John Moffitt - Winsconsin
6. Colin Baxter - Arizona
7. J.D. Walton - Baylor
8. Ryan McMahon - Florida State
9. Ted Larsen - North Carolina State
10. Eric Olsen - Notre Dame

QB:

3. Colt McCoy - Texas
5. Tim Tebow - Florida
9. Jarrett Brown - WVU

Thanks for the input.

Here are the rest:

More good work. Some more thoughts:

OT:

1. Russell Okung - Oklahoma State
2. Bryan Bulaga - Iowa
3. Trent Williams - Oklahoma
4. Charles Brown - USC
5. Anthony Davis - Rutgers
6. Bruce Campbell - Maryland
7. Selvish Capers - WVU
8. Gabe Carimi - Winsconsin
9. Jarriel King - South Carolina
10. Jason Fox - Miami

I think Okung is overrated. Good overall tackle, but I don't see franchise LT ability. Trent Williams is a pure RT and his footwork has not been very impressive. Charles Brown and Selvich Capers are both light. Brown has nice feet, but I'm not sure he's big or strong enough right now. Capers seems like a ZBS guy to me.

The guys I like right now are:

1. Bruce Campbell, Maryland - best pure LT prospect, with the upside of Walter Jones.
2. Brian Bulaga, Iowa.
3. Joseph Barksdale, LSU. Great feet and power. I like him much better than Ciron Black.
4. Gabe Carmini, Wisconin. Massive, powerful, RT.
5. Kyle Calloway, Iowa. Very consistent RT.
6. Jason Fox, Miami.
7. Jeff Linkenbach, Cincinnati.

WR:

2. Damian Williams - USC
3. Brandon LaFell - LSU
5. Mardy Gilyand - Cincinnati
8. Jacoby Ford - Clemson

I don't want us to take WR day 1. I like the junior class in 2011 much better (AJ Green, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd and DeAndre Brown).

Given that we have Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman, if we draft a WR I'd prefer it to be a bigger guy who can make catches over the middle. I like Mardy Gilyard, but he's more in the Tate mold.

The 3 guys I like are Dez Bryand, Brandon LaFell and Eric Decker. Dez Bryant is the best of the bunch. He reminds me of Devin Thomas in 2008, who hasn't really done much yet for Washington. LaFell is very reminiscent of former LSU WR Dwayne Bowe. Both will go 1st or 2nd round.

Decker is the most intriguing prospect right now, since his injury could cause him to fall. I'd be happy picking him up if he slips.

Safety:

2. Taylor Mays - USC
3. Chad Jones - LSU
5. Nate Allen - USF
8. T.J. Ward - Oregon
9. Ahmad Black - Florida
10. Harry Coleman - LSU

CB:

1. Joe Haden - Florida
2. Ras - I - Dowling - Virginia
10. Trevard Linley - Kentucky

I don't want to see us pick up a DB before the 4th round given all of the talent in our secondary and our other needs. If Bodden leaves then there is cleary a need for more depth. I don't think Shawn Springs has much left in the tank. I agree with Haden and Dowling being the top 2 guys, but both will go 1st day. There's a lot of depth, so if someone like Franks of Linley slips to the 4th round I could se us taking a CB.

There's a lot of nice safety talent, but we're loaded at the position. I think Mays is an athlete more than a football player. Berry is too much like Meriweather for us, and will go high. The guys I like are Chad Jones of LSU, Morgan Burnett of Georgia Tech, and Rashad Jones of Georgia.

TE:

1. Jermain Gresham - Oklahoma
2. Weslye Saunders - South Carolina
3. Anthony McCoy - USC
4. Ed ****son - Oregon
5. Luke Stocker - Tennessee
6. Dennis Pitta - Brigham Young
7. Lance Kendricks - Winsconsin
8. Jeron Mastrud - Kansas State
9. Charlie Gantt - Michigan State
10. Mike McNeill - Nebraska

I hope we re-sign Watson and don't have to take a TE. Jermaine Gresham could otherwise be a day 1 option for us.

The other interesting guy to me is 6'8" 260# Jimmy Graham from Miami, who has been coming on strong.

Center:

1. Maurkice Pouncey - Florida
2. Kristofer O'Dowd - USC
3. Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State
4. Matt Tennant - Boston College
5. John Moffitt - Winsconsin
6. Colin Baxter - Arizona
7. J.D. Walton - Baylor
8. Ryan McMahon - Florida State
9. Ted Larsen - North Carolina State
10. Eric Olsen - Notre Dame

I lumped centers in the OG in my breakdown. Maurkice Pouncey is my favorite by far, and my co-favorite interior lineman along with Mike Iupati.

QB:

3. Colt McCoy - Texas
5. Tim Tebow - Florida
9. Jarrett Brown - WVU

QB won't be on our radar, obviously. But I like Jake Locker by far the best, followed by Tony Pike. I'm not convinced about Clausen, and I'm not high on any of the others. Tebow is in a class by himself - BB likes him and is intrigued by him, but I really don't see us spending a high pick on him given our other needs.

I would like us to take a punter to compete with Chris Hanson - I have wanted this for the past 3-4 years. We have to be able to do better than Hanson. I wanted Kevin Huber, Durant Brooks, Adam Podlesh or Daniel Sepulveda in the past. Zoltan Mesko from Michigan seems to be the top rated guy this year, but I haven't watched him too much. Jeremy Boone from Penn St. is also high rated, but is kind of small (5'9").

More good work. Some more thoughts:

I think Okung is overrated. Good overall tackle, but I don't see franchise LT ability. Trent Williams is a pure RT and his footwork has not been very impressive. Charles Brown and Selvich Capers are both light. Brown has nice feet, but I'm not sure he's big or strong enough right now. Capers seems like a ZBS guy to me.

The guys I like right now are:

1. Bruce Campbell, Maryland - best pure LT prospect, with the upside of Walter Jones.
2. Brian Bulaga, Iowa.
3. Joseph Barksdale, LSU. Great feet and power. I like him much better than Ciron Black.
4. Gabe Carmini, Wisconin. Massive, powerful, RT.
5. Kyle Calloway, Iowa. Very consistent RT.
6. Jason Fox, Miami.
7. Jeff Linkenbach, Cincinnati.

I don't want us to take WR day 1. I like the junior class in 2011 much better (AJ Green, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd and DeAndre Brown).

Given that we have Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman, if we draft a WR I'd prefer it to be a bigger guy who can make catches over the middle. I like Mardy Gilyard, but he's more in the Tate mold.

The 3 guys I like are Dez Bryand, Brandon LaFell and Eric Decker. Dez Bryant is the best of the bunch. He reminds me of Devin Thomas in 2008, who hasn't really done much yet for Washington. LaFell is very reminiscent of former LSU WR Dwayne Bowe. Both will go 1st or 2nd round.

Decker is the most intriguing prospect right now, since his injury could cause him to fall. I'd be happy picking him up if he slips.

I don't want to see us pick up a DB before the 4th round given all of the talent in our secondary and our other needs. If Bodden leaves then there is cleary a need for more depth. I don't think Shawn Springs has much left in the tank. I agree with Haden and Dowling being the top 2 guys, but both will go 1st day. There's a lot of depth, so if someone like Franks of Linley slips to the 4th round I could se us taking a CB.

There's a lot of nice safety talent, but we're loaded at the position. I think Mays is an athlete more than a football player. Berry is too much like Meriweather for us, and will go high. The guys I like are Chad Jones of LSU, Morgan Burnett of Georgia Tech, and Rashad Jones of Georgia.

I hope we re-sign Watson and don't have to take a TE. Jermaine Gresham could otherwise be a day 1 option for us.

The other interesting guy to me is 6'8" 260# Jimmy Graham from Miami, who has been coming on strong.

I lumped centers in the OG in my breakdown. Maurkice Pouncey is my favorite by far, and my co-favorite interior lineman along with Mike Iupati.

QB won't be on our radar, obviously. But I like Jake Locker by far the best, followed by Tony Pike. I'm not convinced about Clausen, and I'm not high on any of the others. Tebow is in a class by himself - BB likes him and is intrigued by him, but I really don't see us spending a high pick on him given our other needs.

I would like us to take a punter to compete with Chris Hanson - I have wanted this for the past 3-4 years. We have to be able to do better than Hanson. I wanted Kevin Huber, Durant Brooks, Adam Podlesh or Daniel Sepulveda in the past. Zoltan Mesko from Michigan seems to be the top rated guy this year, but I haven't watched him too much. Jeremy Boone from Penn St. is also high rated, but is kind of small (5'9").

Thanks for the input. :)

I decided to do my top power backs:

1. Johnathan Dwyer - Georgia Tech
2. Anthony Dixon - Miss. State
3. Toby Gerhart - Stanford
4. Ben Tate - Auburn
5. Daniel Thomas - Kansas State
6. Charles Scott - LSU
7. Anthony Allen - Georgia Tech
8. Harvey Unga - Brigham Young
9. Javarris James - Miami
10. Andre Anderson - Tulane

RD 3/4 Alex Carrington, Arkansas St. DE 6'5" 285

Danario Alexander has absolutely exploded over the last three weeks - almost 600 yards and 5 TD's. Big guy at 6'5" and 215lbs. Someone to keep an eye on.

Danario Alexander has absolutely exploded over the last three weeks - almost 600 yards and 5 TD's. Big guy at 6'5" and 215lbs. Someone to keep an eye on.

Absolutely. Thanks for bringing him up.

The more I've seen of him this year, the more I like Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward (son of former Pittsburgh Panthers and NO Saints RB Craig "Ironhead" Heyward) as a 3-4 DE. At 6'6" 290# with the frame to add 10+ more easily and tremendous strength, Heyward looks to me like the closest think in a while to a young Richard Seymour.

Wes Bunting had this to say about Heyward after the Penn St. game: "Heyward was simply a man among boys this weekend vs. Penn State, completely controlling the line of scrimmage and making his presence felt from an array of spots on the Ohio State defensive line. He not only showcased an ability to consistently blow up blockers at the point of attack at defensive end in the run game, he also was effective lined up at defensive tackle on obvious passing downs. The more I watch Heyward, the more convinced I am that he has the ability to line up just about anywhere on an NFL defensive line. He showcases an impressive first step off the ball and does a great job keeping his base down and generating a powerful initial jolt on contact. On top of that, he’s a gifted athlete who showcases good body control and has the length to consistently shed blocks. He finished vs. Penn State with 11 total tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks, and looks capable of becoming an impact NFL lineman in just about any scheme."

Scout?s notebook: defensive review | National Football Post

I'm beginning to think Heyward is one of the view prospects who would definitely be worth our first round pick, along with Derrick Morgan and Rolando McClain. The Jets and Chargers need 3-4 DE help badly, and he could easily go to one of them, but he's someone to keep an eye on if he declares.

As of 2 weeks ago, however, Heyward said that he was leaning towards returning for his senior season. Tony Pauline has speculated that he will return, partly because he doesn't need the money and seems to enjoy college life.

At 6'6" 290# with the frame to add 10+ more easily.....Heyward...could...blow up

Given dad's history that would be my one fear. :D

A mid/late round prospect to keep an eye on is Miami TE Jimmy Graham, a former basketball player who stands 6'8" 260#. Wes Bunting had this to say about Graham:

"One name to store in the memory bank and pull out at draft time is Miami TE Jimmy Graham. Graham is a former Miami basketball player who decided to come out for the football team this year after exhausting his basketball eligibility after the 2008-09 season. He’s proven to be a quick learner. The 6-8, 265-pound tight end recorded his fourth touchdown catch of the season vs. Virginia and has displayed a real feel for the red zone. He’s still raw in all areas of the game and has only caught eight passes on the year, but he’s a gifted athlete for his size who looks natural high pointing the ball and has the type of upside that’s definitely worth a look at the next level."

Scout?s notebook: offensive review | National Football Post

Given our red zone woes this year, the idea of a 6'8" TE target for Tom Brady with leaping ability is intriguing. Throw the ball high towards the back of the end zone and it'll either be a TD or an incompletion. May be worth a look for the late 4th round or later, depending on how he ends up grading out.

Another 233 yards on 15 receptions and a TD for him last night. He has almost 1700 yards for the year.

I want I want I want I want.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing