PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Senior Bowl X2, I'm not sure if Cromartie was playing against the best of the senior WR, but the kid looked good, athletic, hitting etc. Kinda looked like the same build as Michael Haines for you old fans??

Height, Height, Height. We need a taller CB that can line up against the Plaxicos of the world. I think that the Pats will either take a CB with the 7th pick or trade that pick for two others. In either scenario, I think a CB will be our first pick.
Exactly!!!!!!
Here's what I think can be done that is realistic. Trade our first round 7th and Kaczur (the Ravens need OT and O'Callaghan had no trouble with Strahan) to the Ravens for S Ed Reed (BB loves Reed) plus the Ravens 2nd round pick .

Did Sanders play Sunday? He is the worse S I have ever seen. What is the CAP space if we cut that SOG? Pick up ILB/OLB (versitility) Rob Carpenter from Dallas for our second third rounder and he can be had for that. He's also a top ST guy and has more speed that anyone except Colman on our LB core. We can say thanks to Izzo then who could only ST anyway. Carpenter has a tad of experience that BB loves.

Take our two number two choices and go for some non-midget CB's like Talib and then Cromartie.
Then get this kid Lehman for a ILB from Illinois in the third. A tackling machine and big. Pick up a fast Al Wilson for two years. He can still cover and will lead the team in tackles in 2008.

Finally we looked weak rushing the passer toward the end of the year. How about Jared Allen, FA DE from K.C. (15 sacks).Big bucks but worth it.
Say bye to Gay. We'll lose Assante and keep Hobbs as our 3rd CB (nickle). In the 4th go for TE Tamme from KY. He's big and tough and makes circus catches. Watson is inconsistent at best. Thomas will get hurt once more and K. Brady doesn't move the sticks.
I think Moss stays and Stallworth goes. Jackson, Gaffney or Washington fill that hole?
We lose DE Wright (Allen takes his spot)
Now you have the CAP space to sign Allen and Moss. You've made the team younger, faster and taller with out much CAP destruction.
If you gottem', smokem' Willie A. See ya too.
How about BC S Jamie Silva in the 5th round. Can intercept a few, can PR a few and is all over the field. He's bigger and faster than James Sanders and can actually cover unlike JS. Great ST kid too.
In the sixth I like Corey Byrd from S.C. A pass catching RB who is a bigger Kevin Faulk.
It's a dream but very possible.
DW Toys

Well, DW, if you'd just think outside the box a little and stop talking about half-measures ;)

Seriously, folks: For those of you with a height fetish, 2 out of the top 3 corners available in the draft (as of the rankings shown here) are 6'2. Obviously we'll learn a lot more at the combines, as in, which 5'10 guy has an extra 4" vertical leap over the tall guy. Kinda makes you go "hmm." I don't know where the "tall corner need" came from. I think we need good corners.

I'd make a run at that Samuel guy, myself, but it's likely the grass will be green enough elsewhere that that doesn't happen. Though I would not say that's a lock, as we're assuming.

Trufant's worth making a run. One list had Bly, one did not. We'll see what he wants. I think starting safety is fine, and I do not get the comment that Sanders is the "worse" [sic] safety you've ever seen. Merriweather flashed a lot of potential this year, and Rodney -- if he comes back -- is still a perfectly good starter.

I'll leave the LB discussion for that thread, but that's less of a need to go from "okay" to "elite," as in the CB situation, and more of a need to prevent the collapse via age/lack of depth.

I may be the only one here who thinks we have a pretty good defense, and that we are only looking at an upgrade situation, not a bunch of guys that can't cover for ****e. I think at this point you say Hobbs is the weak link and try to upgrade there. You also try to keep Asante if it is doable, or replace him with comparable talent. Hobbs as a backup/STer? That I can live with.

PFnV

Exactly!!!!!!
Here's what I think can be done that is realistic. Trade our first round 7th and Kaczur (the Ravens need OT and O'Callaghan had no trouble with Strahan) to the Ravens for S Ed Reed (BB loves Reed) plus the Ravens 2nd round pick .

Did Sanders play Sunday? He is the worse S I have ever seen. What is the CAP space if we cut that SOG? Pick up ILB/OLB (versitility) Rob Carpenter from Dallas for our second third rounder and he can be had for that. He's also a top ST guy and has more speed that anyone except Colman on our LB core. We can say thanks to Izzo then who could only ST anyway. Carpenter has a tad of experience that BB loves.

Take our two number two choices and go for some non-midget CB's like Talib and then Cromartie.
Then get this kid Lehman for a ILB from Illinois in the third. A tackling machine and big. Pick up a fast Al Wilson for two years. He can still cover and will lead the team in tackles in 2008.

Finally we looked weak rushing the passer toward the end of the year. How about Jared Allen, FA DE from K.C. (15 sacks).Big bucks but worth it.
Say bye to Gay. We'll lose Assante and keep Hobbs as our 3rd CB (nickle). In the 4th go for TE Tamme from KY. He's big and tough and makes circus catches. Watson is inconsistent at best. Thomas will get hurt once more and K. Brady doesn't move the sticks.
I think Moss stays and Stallworth goes. Jackson, Gaffney or Washington fill that hole?
We lose DE Wright (Allen takes his spot)
Now you have the CAP space to sign Allen and Moss. You've made the team younger, faster and taller with out much CAP destruction.
If you gottem', smokem' Willie A. See ya too.
How about BC S Jamie Silva in the 5th round. Can intercept a few, can PR a few and is all over the field. He's bigger and faster than James Sanders and can actually cover unlike JS. Great ST kid too.
In the sixth I like Corey Byrd from S.C. A pass catching RB who is a bigger Kevin Faulk.
It's a dream but very possible.
DW Toys

The #7 pick and Kaczur for Ed Reed and the #38 pick! Dude, this isnt Madden. There is no chance of that ever happening. Baltimore would hang up the phone on BB if he offered that.

Plus Talib and Cromartie are more then likely first rounders, at least as of now.

By the way, we don't have a Colman, to my knowledge, although we do have a Colvin. And we have a linebacking corps, not a linebacking core. It's not a damn apple. That last part sounds snotty I'm just sick of reading "core", so it's just a general spelling advisory, not a slam on DW, like the Colman thing is.

PFnV

I would be very happy if the Pats drafted Aqib Talib. I watched him during their bowl game and this kid can jump through the roof! On one play he jumped over the reciever in attempt to grab another interception but his teammate bumbed into him and the reciever ended up with the ball. I think Talib had a punt return for a touchdown in that game as well. His vertical will easily be 40". However, I would like Gholston as well because he can really get after the passer.

Ok that settles it then. Draft Talib, take some of that AS money and pursue Trufant. Someone get Pioli on the phone :D

As we were saying before, I'd like to go taller than McKelvin, who IIRC is only 5'11" or so.

Ty Law was 5'11", or that's what they list him at... a lot more goes into the selection than size. Quickness, instincts, speed to run with top end WR, durability, competition. Remember for 3-4 years most of the these draftees have been spending less than 20 hours a week for maybe 14 weeks covering or playing across from or along side guys who will be shuffling papers or pumping gas or training to manage burger flippers in July. Bill will certainly be looking for tools and talent but he's gonna have to coach up anything he drafts. So he'll be looking for attitude, work ethic, drive, intelligence and upside as well. He's liable to go for the guy he believes can be polished over the guy all the draftniks think could start tomorrow.

I don't see them drafting at #7 unless it's a player on the LOS. They seem to be better value and seem to transition better than most other positions because it's more about size and talent than intangibles up front.

There may be a nickle corner out there who is underappreciated that Bill sees as someone he can coach up to a decent starter. That was how both the Steelers and Pats rated Townsend, only he chose to stay where he already won a ring. Ty Law if cut may not want to start over at his third franchise in 4 seasons.

It's fine to toss around ideas about what they might do. It's foolish to make any kind of pronouncements about what they should do. None of us has a real clue what is really out there or what they truly need. I do think Asante is gone, but I know from experience that's not the end of the world. We found him in the 4th, after all, and won 2 rings in his first two seasons here (and none in his last 3...).

By the way, we don't have a Colman, to my knowledge, although we do have a Colvin. And we have a linebacking corps, not a linebacking core. It's not a damn apple. That last part sounds snotty I'm just sick of reading "core", so it's just a general spelling advisory, not a slam on DW, like the Colman thing is.

PFnV
My Bad! Colvin
DW Toys

Okay well said! You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I agree we know nothing but it sure is fun. We sure are always wrong too (and on the 5 occasions per 100 when we're right, we sure do enjoy it!)

By the way I had a cromartie fetish at some point... but I also had a ty hill fetish (probably because Ty law and Ty Warren worked out pretty well)... so anyway, here we are again.

I guess this is like football.

WAHHHHHH! 7 months!!!!

At least this place won't be packed with dufuses drinking their first beer.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back