PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watson's IQ

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Since we already have a thread going on the LB situation for next year, we might as well address the DB situation, which I think personally is a far bigger concern. As of right now, I'm assuming Asante leaves, but feel free to discuss contingencies should he stay as well. Just want to get the thread off the ground and generate some discussion about the draft, FAs, guys on the roster, etc, and we can add more info as we go.

Discuss.

I'm an Aqib Talib guy myself, and in any case I'm in favor of a 1st round corner. However, that does not equate with picking one at #7. I think trading the pick down to later in the 1st dovetails nicely with taking one of the top 2 or 3 CBs off the boards.

As an aside, it would certainly tickle the Chargers trolls if the Pats selected Cromartie's cousin, though I'm not sure he's the 4th best corner in the draft as that list suggests. They have Cason rated 10th, for example, I'm pretty sure he's better than that.

Height, Height, Height. We need a taller CB that can line up against the Plaxicos of the world. I think that the Pats will either take a CB with the 7th pick or trade that pick for two others. In either scenario, I think a CB will be our first pick.

Height, Height, Height. We need a taller CB that can line up against the Plaxicos of the world. I think that the Pats will either take a CB with the 7th pick or trade that pick for two others. In either scenario, I think a CB will be our first pick.

Agree 100%. That's why I say that Talib is our guy, at 6'2" he's the tallest of the top corners in the draft. If we're looking a little further down, Rodgers-Cromartie is also 6'2", and we've seen how well his cousin is working out.

FWIW, Todd MCSheay's latest mock (2/5) has us taking Leodis McKelvin at #7 - of course he acknowledges that we could trade it : "As always, look for the Patriots to shop this pick heavily".

I'd like to think Meriweather can have a good offseason and start with Rodney to get us a bit more speed and athleticism in the middle of the field.

FWIW, Todd MCSheay's latest mock (2/5) has us taking Leodis McKelvin at #7 - of course he acknowledges that we could trade it : "As always, look for the Patriots to shop this pick heavily".

I'd like to think Meriweather can have a good offseason and start with Rodney to get us a bit more speed and athleticism in the middle of the field.

As we were saying before, I'd like to go taller than McKelvin, who IIRC is only 5'11" or so.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDB.html

2008 DB Free Agents

Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots

Mike Doss, UFA, Minnesota Vikings

Domonique Foxworth, RFA, Denver Broncos

Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Randall Gay UFA New England Patriots

Marcus Trufant, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Ken Hamlin, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

Other Free Agent Cornerback
Chris Carr RFA Oakland Raiders
Tory James UFA New England Patriots
Karl Paymah RFA Denver Broncos
B.J. Sams UFA Baltimore Ravens
Chad Scott UFA New England Patriots

Last edited:

Other Free Agent Cornerbacks:

Pretty clear that there's going to be some turnover up and down the roster. I'd expect at least Gay to be back as the nickel guy at a reasonable deal.

Moving beyond cornerbacks for a moment, does everyone agree we're pretty set at safety assuming Harrison comes back with Rodney, Sanders, Wilson, and Merriweather.

Does anyone know Wilson's contract status off-hand?

Wilson is a UFA and has almost no chance to be back with us IMO.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. Yes, I agree, he won't be back. I'm assuming most are comfortable with Merriweather moving into a more prominent role next season? Of course, I'd love to see him improve his hands, but I think he brings a lot to the table.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. Yes, I agree, he won't be back. I'm assuming most are comfortable with Merriweather moving into a more prominent role next season? Of course, I'd love to see him improve his hands, but I think he brings a lot to the table.
Meriweather shows up a lot and lived up to his college nickname of the Hit Stick. He's a little thin but, with a few exceptions, gets his guy down. That hit he put on Jacobs was impressive, Meriweather got knocked backward but Jacobs' momentum totally stopped too.

I expect Harrison and Meriweather to be the starting Safeties next year with Sanders being able to backup both and a draftee/FA brought in. Sanders could also get time in the Nickel as Meriweather can play the slot guy (as he did last week when Gay was out).

Meriweather shows up a lot and lived up to his college nickname of the Hit Stick. He's a little thin but, with a few exceptions, gets his guy down. That hit he put on Jacobs was impressive, Meriweather got knocked backward but Jacobs' momentum totally stopped too.

I expect Harrison and Meriweather to be the starting Safeties next year with Sanders being able to backup both and a draftee/FA brought in. Sanders could also get time in the Nickel as Meriweather can play the slot guy (as he did last week when Gay was out).

Sanders > Harrison this year, next year and every year after.

I was surprised during the broadcast that they made it sound like Meriweather had the worse end of that hit. He may not have dropped Jacobs off his feet, but his hit set up the tackle on that play, I remember it specifically.

Sanders > Harrison this year, next year and every year after.
I didn't want to approach the possibility of Sanders and Meriweather being the starting Safeties next year . . .

I didn't want to approach the possibility of Sanders and Meriweather being the starting Safeties next year . . .

I'm pretty sure they'll be time enough for both guys, along with Meriweather (I keep wanting to call him BM, damnit) and whoever else is brought in next year. As I said, I'm relatively comfortable with the situation at safety.

Bringing the discussion back around to CBs in the draft. I've read a couple scouting reports on Talib indicating he's a pretty versatile player (not surprising, given his size and athleticism). I even saw he played a few snaps on offense, can someone who follows the college game more closely than I do give me the low-down on that?

Last edited:
Does anyone think there is a chance the Merriweather can play CB next year? And then maybe draft a saftey with the first rather then a cb. Since the CB draft is deep, maybe pick up a cb in the 3rd and pick up a guy like Kenny Phillips from Miami with the first.

Dont kill me on this if I am off, just a thought

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDB.html

2008 DB Free Agents

Mike Doss, UFA, Minnesota Vikings

Domonique Foxworth, RFA, Denver Broncos

Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Marcus Trufant, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Ken Hamlin, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

Other Free Agent Cornerback
Chris Carr RFA Oakland Raiders
Karl Paymah RFA Denver Broncos
B.J. Sams UFA Baltimore Ravens

the only corner on this list I would like to see the patriots spend any sort of money on is Marcus Trufant who may end up being too expensive for us anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back