PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 Offseason Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
JLC said:
I'm not certain about rooks - but for vets, 5 games = 1 credited season

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/qa

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Box_O_Rocks said:
"...Guss Scott would get the first-year tenders of $241,720."

We lost Guss to I/R against San Diego in week four, was this insufficient time for him to accrue a year?

Upon further review, Guss Scott played in 5 games last year which was enough time to obtain a credited season.

I will be correcting that portion.

Credited Seasons Explained

Quoting Section 7 of Article 38 of the CBA, " For purposes of calculating Credited Seasons under this Article only, a player shall earn one Credited Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of three or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player's pay status, shall not include games for which this player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List; (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a non-football injury; (iii) a Club's Practice or Developmental Squad; or (iv) a Club's Injured Reserve List."

ERFA portion updated

Exclusive-rights free agents — The Patriots have 5 ERFAs, and I am projecting that they will give tenders to all of them. The following 3 ERFAs would get third-year tenders of $391,720: Randall Gay, Gene Mruczkowski, and Billy Yates. Guss Scott will get the second-year tender of $316,720. Brandon "Bam" Childress will get the first-year tenders of $241,720. The gross cap hit of the Patriots’ 5 ERFA tenders would be $1,733,600 but the net cap cost (558,600) would be lower due to the Rule of 51 (see below).

Another suggestion?

Miguel, will the Pats save any money by simply releasing Brandon Gorin, instead of extending him? I really, really do not want him on the 53 next season. What about releasing Izzo, TBC, DDavis, Chatham, Klecko and Chad Brown? These guys basically just play on a Special Teams unit that is not very special at all.

Aye, Aye Captain. We were extremely fortunate some long punt
returns were called back this year. Had to be 3 or 4? I don't see
great special teams given our reputation. I can live with TBC. He
plays a little. I'd keep Izzo or Chatham. Not both. D.Davis. Come on.
Can't we find some young lb's capable of more than what we're
getting out of those vets?

captain stone said:
Miguel, will the Pats save any money by simply releasing Brandon Gorin, instead of extending him? I really, really do not want him on the 53 next season. What about releasing Izzo, TBC, DDavis, Chatham, Klecko and Chad Brown? These guys basically just play on a Special Teams unit that is not very special at all.

You're talking my language -- time to ask some hard questions about special teams.

captain stone said:

I am going to list the gross cap savings. The Patriots would save cap money by releasing Gorin (550,000); Izzo (670,000); Klecko (460,000);TBC (460,000); and Chad Brown ($1,000,000). But since Don Davis and Matt Chatham are not signed for the 2006 season the Patriots can't save any cap space by releasing them:)

I should add releasing Chad Brown to the list of the most likely cap-related moves.

Added some suggested personnel moves

Here are some possible ways that the Pats could free up cap space. Please note that I am NOT advocating that the Patriots do all of these salary-manuevers. Please note that I am presuming the CBA will be extended before March 3rd.

1.) Release Duane Starks - net cap savings of $3.4 million.
2.) Release Tyrone Poole - net cap savings of $1.8 million
3a.)Reduce McGinest's salary from $3.5 million to $1.5 million while converting his $3.5 million roster bonus into a NTLBE incentive - cap savings of $5.5 million
3b) Release McGinest - net cap savings of $6.8 million
4a.) Convert $3 million of Brady's $4 million salary into a signing bonus while extending his deal out to the 2012 season - cap savings of $3.87 million while pushing out $4.28 million of signing bonus proration to the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
4b.) Convert $3 million of Brady's $4 million salary into a signing bonus - cap savings of $2.4 million while adding $600,000 to his cap numbers for the 2007,2008,2009, and 2010 seasons.
5a.) Extend Brandon Gorin's contract by 2 years and convert his $700,000 LTBE incentive into a signing bonus - cap savings - $525,000
5b.) Convert Gorin's LTBE incentive into a NTLBE incentive - cap savings of $700,000
5c.) Release Brandon Gorin - net cap savings of $900,000
6a.) Extend Ross Hochstein's contract by 3 years and convert his $500,000 LTBE incentive into a signing bonus - cap savings - $375,000
6b.) Convert Hochstein's LTBE incentive into a NTLBE incentive - cap savings of $500,000
6c.) Release Ross Hochstein - net cap savings of $800,000
7.) Convert Matt Light's $2.6 million into a NTLBE incentive - cap savings of $2.6 million
8.) Convert $2.7 million of Colvin's $3.65 million salary into a signing bonus while extending his deal out to the 2012 season - cap savings of $2.025 million while pushing out $1,012,500 million of signing bonus proration to the 2009 and 2010 seasons.
9.) Convert Jarvis Green's $2.5 million roster bonus into a signing bonus - cap savings of $1,875,000
10.)Extend Richard Seymour's contract by 6 years lowering his cap number from $7.4 million to $6.4 million - cap savings of $1 million.
11.) Release Chad Brown - net cap savings of $771,720

As you can see from above, the Pats could free up more than $25 million in cap room if they chose to do so. The Pats could free up more than $17 million in cap room WITHOUT releasing a single player. The Patriots could free up more than $9 million without releasing a player and without pushing out signing bonus money.

Thanks, Miguel...

Releasing Gorin would save $900K?? Where do I sign?
Of course, I do not suggest that these releases occur now; let all of them compete in TC, then release them.
BB/SP need to roll up their sleeves and get to work this offseason, as opposed to 04-05. We need quality LBs and RBs, and possibly WRs and OLs and DBs.
Keep up the great work, Miguel; and everyone else, too. Sure beats reading the Glob (except for Reiss).

Thanks for the great work Miguel. Is there anyway we can reduce Kevin Faulk's cap number as well?

captain stone said:
BB/SP need to roll up their sleeves and get to work this offseason, as opposed to 04-05.
Yeah, no more playing golf the whole off-season. At least make 'em read ESPN The Magazine and get Mel Kiper's draft Big Board.

captain stone said:
Releasing Gorin would save $900K??

Where do I sign?
Of course, I do not suggest that these releases occur now; let all of them compete in TC, then release them.

Please note that the $900K estimate is based on
1.) Gorin's retaining his $700K LTBE incentive
2.) The 52nd player having a salary of $235,000

Neither condition is likely to be true at time of training camp. By TC I expect the 52nd player to have a salary of $460K so the net savings of releasing Gorin will be less then than now. Releasing Gorin now would create the cap savings of 900K.

nickw308810 said:
Thanks for the great work Miguel. Is there anyway we can reduce Kevin Faulk's cap number as well?

Any player's number can be reduced
1.) by him agreeing to a paycut
2.) by him converting a LTBE incentive to a NTLBE incentive
3.) by him agreeing to convert part of his salary into a signing bonus/NTLBE incentive

How long is now?

Miguel said:
Please note that the $900K estimate is based on
1.) Gorin's retaining his $700K LTBE incentive
2.) The 52nd player having a salary of $235,000

Neither condition is likely to be true at time of training camp. By TC I expect the 52nd player to have a salary of $460K so the net savings of releasing Gorin will be less then than now. Releasing Gorin now would create the cap savings of 900K.

Miguel, is the $900K savings good until June 1st, or another date?
As you may have guessed, I want Gorin gone ASAP, with the maximum cap savings possible. This stiff leads the OL, by far, in sacks/hits/closed holes allowed.

captain stone said:
Miguel, is the $900K savings good until June 1st, or another date?
As you may have guessed, I want Gorin gone ASAP, with the maximum cap savings possible. This stiff leads the OL, by far, in sacks/hits/closed holes allowed.

The 900K savings is good until the salary of the player with the 52nd highest cap number reaches $310K, most likely later this month or early March. When it does, the savings drops by 75,000. When the salary of the player with the 52nd highest cap number reaches $385K, most likely late March, the savings drops by another 75,000. When the salary of the player with the 52nd highest cap number reaches $460K, most likely in April/May, the savings drops by another 75,000.

A belated thank you...

Miguel said:
The 900K savings is good until the salary of the player with the 52nd highest cap number reaches $310K, most likely later this month or early March. When it does, the savings drops by 75,000. When the salary of the player with the 52nd highest cap number reaches $385K, most likely late March, the savings drops by another 75,000. When the salary of the player with the 52nd highest cap number reaches $460K, most likely in April/May, the savings drops by another 75,000.
...for the terrific, detailed info. This should give BB/SP pause; surely they can receive more bang for their buck from someone other than Let 'em in Gorin and the ST-only LBs. It is time to bring along LBs who may have to eventually start.

Miguel said:

Brilliant work, Miguel!

I was going to suggest that this thread be made into a "sticky". You've made that unnecessary, I suppose with the web page.

But I still think that people should use Miguel's information as the starting point for the roster/personnel debates that there are going to be over the coming months.

Come on, folks! Let's see if this thread can get more posts than "David Patten" (but, not, please, my beloved Cheerleaders :D ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News