Status
Not open for further replies.

Denism

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
By Shalise Manza Young
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The window for NFL teams to designate franchise or transitional players opened yesterday, and will close on Feb. 22.

But there was no news on which player the Patriots might tag for the upcoming season. Of the 14 soon-to-be unrestricted free agents New England has on its roster, there are two, corner Asante Samuel and tight end Daniel Graham, that would most likely be designated as the team’s franchise player.

Since Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli took over in New England in 2000, they have franchised just two players — Adam Vinatieri and Tebucky Jones. It’s worth noting that the positions those men play — kicker and safety, respectively — have two of the three lowest franchise figures. The figure in the middle? Tight end.

The 2007 amount to franchise a tight end is $4.371 million, while the number for cornerbacks is $7.79 million (quarterback is the most expensive position, with a $12.615 million salary amount). The Pats are projected to have about $27 million in cap space this year.

Samuel’s agent, Alonzo Shavers, was to have a meeting with Patriots brass on Wednesday, but with Belichick in Hawaii coaching the AFC team in the Pro Bowl, not much is expected to happen until he returns. Samuel and Shavers are on the record as saying that the fourth-year corner, who had a breakout season at exactly the right time, would not be happy if he were to be franchised.

The team and Shavers were in negotiations about a contract extension during the season, but tabled the talks in October. New England apparently was offering a five-year deal, but the annual salary was nowhere near the nearly $8 million Samuel would make this season were he to be franchised. On the eve of the playoffs, Samuel was quoted in the Boston Globe as saying the offer "isn’t even worth discussing."

A fourth-round draft pick out of Central Florida, Samuel had 10 regular-season interceptions, including a three-pick game against the Bears in November. He also had 62 tackles (56 solo), 24 passes defensed and a forced fumble. In the playoffs, the man who has a tattoo stating "Get paid" made himself even more money, with two more interceptions, both of which he returned for touchdowns.

Last year, corner Charles Woodson signed a seven-year, $52-million contract with Green Bay with a reported $4 million signing bonus. But Woodson has something on his resume — namely, four trips to the Pro Bowl — that helped drive up his price. Despite tying for the league lead in interceptions with Pats’ nemesis, Champ Bailey, Samuel was not chosen for the Pro Bowl.

As for Graham, there are rumblings that he wants out of New England, but neither he nor his agent, Jack Mills, have said anything publicly about his contract. Calls to Mills were not returned.

Teams can franchise one player per season, giving him a one year, guaranteed salary equal to the average salary of the five highest-paid players at his position. Other teams can offer the player a contract, but the original team has seven days to match it. If the original team does not match the offer and the player signs with another team, it receives the first-round draft pick of the new team for the next two years.

Transitional players receive a salary equal to the average of the top 10 highest-paid players at their position. Teams can still tender a new offer sheet, and the original team still has seven days to match any new offers, but there is no compensation to the original team if a transition player goes to another club.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
yeah no one likes being tagged really..they know they can get a big contract..lots of guranteed money and all that.

i just hope we reach deals with them and get it over with

i dont think Graham is happy with the role in offense..he knows hes capalbe of being the #1 TE on a team and that he can contribute heavily receiving and not just mainly as a blocker

Well it really doesn't matter if they're interested or not does it ? :) It's the Patriots' choice.

I fully expect us to lose Graham via UFA, draft a first day TE (to give us 3 again) and take the comp pick.

I fully expect us to tag and trade Samuel. Preferably for a #1 in 2008 - which is fully reasonable given that the always injured John Abraham got a #1 for The Jest this way and they got their pick THAT year. Then we will draft a CB in round one.

Well it really doesn't matter if they're interested or not does it ? :) It's the Patriots' choice.

I fully expect us to lose Graham via UFA, draft a first day TE (to give us 3 again) and take the comp pick.

I fully expect us to tag and trade Samuel. Preferably for a #1 in 2008 - which is fully reasonable given that the always injured John Abraham got a #1 for The Jest this way and they got their pick THAT year. Then we will draft a CB in round one.

I'm cool with all of the above.

I haven't read the Pro Jo since Tom left. Is Shalise the only one reporting a meeting - if so, good work by her. This meeting (which wouldn't really require BB's attendance) could have been the beginning of a last ditch effort to see if there is a middle ground or if Asante's playoff performance has just driven the sides farther apart, and if not to set the stage for a cooperative tag and trade. Much like what the JETS set in motion with Abraham last season.

This team couldn't agree to not use the tag on Branch because to do so would have been bad business practice. I can't imagine they aren't fully prepared to hang it on Asante. And as I understand it the only way to avert a repeat tagging is to sit out an entire season. If he were to sit out 10 games and then report, he risks injury in potentially upwards of 9 more games for which he will get $3M plus playoff money which comparatively speaking is peanuts. And then he can be tagged all over again if the team chooses to.

Whereas if if both sides agree to agree that a tag and trade is preferable to any other end game scenario other than letting him walk, which they should not do given the current market, then they get about to doing business in a cooperative effort to get him what he wants with a little something for the team thrown in. Which in the final analysis is exactly what they did with Branch sans cooreration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST