PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 bad challenges, and the most unimaganitve 2nd half...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgraw_wv

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
2 horrible challenges left the Patriots with no challenges in case they really needed them. As well, the play calling in the Second half was horrendous.

Yes we won, but against a really bad JETS team, we saw just how vulnerable our Pats are. Even with 5 turnovers, our Offense only scored 23 points.

The play calling specifically in the second half, other than the runs, was painful to watch.

Overall the game was frustrating to watch, other than the win and Edleman, and Welkers performance, you can't say the coaching, or the passion to win was there.

I grade this game a C+ / B-

Last edited:
Yeah, if we could just not come out flat in the 2nd half every week I'd feel a lot better about this team. The playcalling at times is just amazingly bad and the clock management this season has been awful.

whoever from upstairs is telling belichick to challenge these plays needs to do a better job.

2 horrible challenges left the Patriots with no challenges in case they really needed them. As well, the play calling in the Second half was horrendous.

Yes we won, but against a really bad JETS team, we saw just how vulnerable our Pats are. Even with 5 turnovers, our Offense only scored 23 points.

The play calling specifically in the second half, other than the runs, was painful to watch.

Overall the game was frustrating to watch, other than the win and Edleman, and Welkers performance, you can't say the coaching, or the passion to win was there.

You must spend your vacations in the dentist office getting root canals without chemical help. We won by 17 freakin 'points. Life sounds good for you...

I prefer we make mistakes in the games we win. BB really wasted his challenges.

they were not bad imo...... but they happened early and unsuccessfully :mad:

Well, down 24-7, a good JETS D pinned their ears back and tee'd off all 3rd Q on Brady. Our pass rush inevitably began to break down. We accelerated the process by predictably passing on EVERY down. Once we got unbalanced, it was 3 and out time…. and the offense sputtered.

We did not re-take momentum until we started handing off to LoMo and got going on the ground game. D started to get soft on coverage and rush, but the INT seemed to awaken us out of a frighteningly familiar 2nd half trend on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
How bout Brady's attempted qb sneak at the goal line. Stuff like that just drives you nuts. They were 1st and goal from the half yard line and couldn't punch it in until 3rd down.

Alright, I'll take the bait and chime in a bit about my thoughts on todays game.

We won, and it was against those ****y ass NYJ. Doesn't get much better than that, and easily helps wipe a lot of the bad taste in my mouth after last weeks painful loss to the Colts.

As good as the win was today though, I have to be honest with myself. the Jets right now, though they are fielding a solid Defense, are a team on the decline. What we saw today from Sanchez isn't anything new. Its awesome that the Pats didnt let him look like a pro bowl QB, and it was fun to watch, but it's been done several times this year already by the rookie.

Jonathan Wilhite seems to always be on the camera allowing first downs and TD's. I'm sure teams are picking on him, and I really feel for the guy, but c'mon buddy. Tighten that coverage up. the O-Line, though at times broke down, IMHO appeared to play very solid in the face of the injuries they were hit by. Glad to see Vollmer got back out there.

I am really troubled by the clock management, and the coaching staffs complete inability to make any sort of significant adjustments at halftime. It's getting old...really old. More delay of game's? Blown coach's challenges? I mean, wtf is going on here? These problems have to be corrected, or this team will have no chance in the playoffs. It really seems like that cut throat, take no prisoners mentality has really left this squad, and I for one am confused as to why.

A good win at home against a divisional opponent. Can't complain much about that, but we need to see better execution by not only the players on the field, but the coach's calling the plays. Those problems get corrected, then we are a strong contender. Those problems dont get fixed, then we will most likely be watching another boring ass Colts game in the superbowl.

Well, down 24-7, a good JETS D pinned their ears back and tee'd off all 3rd Q on Brady. Our pass rush inevitably began to break down. We accelerated the process by predictably passing on EVERY down. Once we got unbalanced, it was 3 and out time…. and the offense sputtered.

We did not re-take momentum until we started handing off to LoMo and got going on the ground game. D started to get soft on coverage and rush, but the INT seemed to awaken us out of a frighteningly familiar 2nd half trend on both sides of the ball.

Someone seems to have to remind O'Brien that the best way to shorten a game is with a good RUNNING attack, especially if passes aren't being completed. . . .

I agree, and I feel it is PATHETIC that we KEEP seeing the same old BS meltdown EVERY week in the 2nd half against opponents when we have them down, including the Colts last week....
I have ZERO clue why they INSIST on that prevent GARBAGE when the lead was built on being smashmouth....and it really bothers me...like that really matters...:D

Alright, I'll take the bait and chime in a bit about my thoughts on todays game.

We won, and it was against those ****y ass NYJ. Doesn't get much better than that, and easily helps wipe a lot of the bad taste in my mouth after last weeks painful loss to the Colts.

As good as the win was today though, I have to be honest with myself. the Jets right now, though they are fielding a solid Defense, are a team on the decline. What we saw today from Sanchez isn't anything new. Its awesome that the Pats didnt let him look like a pro bowl QB, and it was fun to watch, but it's been done several times this year already by the rookie.

Jonathan Wilhite seems to always be on the camera allowing first downs and TD's. I'm sure teams are picking on him, and I really feel for the guy, but c'mon buddy. Tighten that coverage up. the O-Line, though at times broke down, IMHO appeared to play very solid in the face of the injuries they were hit by. Glad to see Vollmer got back out there.

I am really troubled by the clock management, and the coaching staffs complete inability to make any sort of significant adjustments at halftime. It's getting old...really old. More delay of game's? Blown coach's challenges? I mean, wtf is going on here? These problems have to be corrected, or this team will have no chance in the playoffs. It really seems like that cut throat, take no prisoners mentality has really left this squad, and I for one am confused as to why.

A good win at home against a divisional opponent. Can't complain much about that, but we need to see better execution by not only the players on the field, but the coach's calling the plays. Those problems get corrected, then we are a strong contender. Those problems dont get fixed, then we will most likely be watching another boring ass Colts game in the superbowl.

Well, I have many of the concerns voiced on here. I'm sure we all do. However, if you need a little tonic to settle your soul a little bit. Go over GangGreen for about a half hour and watch them positively self-destructing over there ;)

Just what the doctor ordered. A good win for tonight.... tomorrow, I hope they start adressing this stuff on our end. It comes from within the coaching ranks.

Last edited:
I just dont understand some people. We won by 17 points today, basically dominated the Jets and we still have people complaining. When you up by double digits its hard to be "imaginiative" on Offensive, thats when you just pound the run and burn clock, nothing creative about that

I just dont understand some people. We won by 17 points today, basically dominated the Jets and we still have people complaining. When you up by double digits its hard to be "imaginiative" on Offensive, thats when you just pound the run and burn clock, nothing creative about that

I don't know what's more depressing, reading this forum after a win or after a loss.

umm...every catch i saw, wilhite was right there

the throw and catch had to be perfect to be completed....wilhite is doing amazing as our #2 wr

I have watched at least some of every Jets game this year. No defense except New Orleans played as well against them as the Patriots played today. The New Orleans game was similar; Sanchez was confused and rattled most of the day and turned the ball over a lot.

You go up 24-0 and win the game by 17 against a division rival knowing pretty much what you are going to do and your fans mocks your challenges and give you a mediocre grade. Wow.

It was a great game but we looked like we did against Indy in the second half. I'm not sure we do look flat. Thankfully we played the Jets but just like last week we can't get away with that against good teams.

We need to come to play for 4 quarters, not just "most" of the game

The GAME is OVER my PATS.... time to move on:)

The Saints are beatable.... we can determine thet w/ our play:)

I don't know what's more depressing, reading this forum after a win or after a loss.

I agree, like why cant we talk about Welker's play or Boddens 3 INTS and other positives.

I agree, and I feel it is PATHETIC that we KEEP seeing the same old BS meltdown EVERY week in the 2nd half against opponents when we have them down, including the Colts last week....
I have ZERO clue why they INSIST on that prevent GARBAGE when the lead was built on being smashmouth....and it really bothers me...like that really matters...:D

Um, aside from one drive, the defense played EXTREMELY well tonight. It was the offense in the second half that did not. The play calling was once again predictable, the blocking was putrid, and there were several boneheaded mistakes (including two Delay of Game penalties... in our own stadium no less). That said, we still won the game and beat a division opponent. We're 7-3 and have two more really tough games left on our schedule. However, the second half offense still has to be looked at. It's not going to be bailed out next week by Drew Brees the way it was bailed out today by the Sanchize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes