PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 1st Rnd picks for Deion

Status
Not open for further replies.
mgteich said:
Wait a minute! Who here wouldn't want Branch to play here for this year for $1M with the promise that we wouldn't franchise him next year? I'd do that in a second! We'd end up with a 2008 3rd as compensation, and an excellent deal this year.
Is that the best return on investment you can conceive?

AndyJohnson said:
Why is Boldin better?
Branch has better hands. Branch is both faster and much quicker.
If your only argument is numbers, you have to look deeper, because WR numbers in the Andre Ware run and shoot and the Lou Holtz Tony Rice ND offense would tell nothing. Thats the extreme, but its the same dynamic that Im talking about here.

I have to say, this sounds like a bit of homerism here. Branch doesn't have better hands than Boldin (Boldin's are excellent, and he can catch the ball with one hand fairly reliably), nor is he faster in terms of straight line speed. Boldin is a better receiver, he's a number one guy on most teams in the league. I would absolutely trade Branch straight up for Boldin, in a heartbeat, and I think Deion is vastly underrated. Boldin would catch 100 passes a year from Brady, I have no doubt in my mind about that.

The Patriots threw the ball 564 times last year, and Branch caught 78 passes.
The Cardinals threw it 670 and Boldin caught 102.

Since Branch caught just about 1 of every 7 pass attempts that would give him an additional roughly 15 catches making his total 93 had the Pats thrown it 670 times. (Very arguably had they played behind all day like the Cards, it would be even higher because the % that go to Wrs is higher when you are losing and trying to come back)

Does the difference of 9 catches over an entire season at the most make up for bieng part of 2 SB Champs, and an organization that has a combined w/l record of 54-18 since drafting you, vs having played for one of the biggest losers in the league?

mgteich said:
Wait a minute! Who here wouldn't want Branch to play here for this year for $1M with the promise that we wouldn't franchise him next year? I'd do that in a second! We'd end up with a 2008 3rd as compensation, and an excellent deal this year.

Why should any organization volutarily limit its options? Promising not to franchise a player one year in advance closes off options to the Patriots Front Office.

That's like making Branch promise that he won't go to an AFC East team when he hits FA.

No can do.

AndyJohnson said:
Why is Boldin better?
Branch has better hands. Branch is both faster and much quicker.
If your only argument is numbers, you have to look deeper, because WR numbers in the Andre Ware run and shoot and the Lou Holtz Tony Rice ND offense would tell nothing. Thats the extreme, but its the same dynamic that Im talking about here.

one big difference is that boldin is a much more different physical type of WR. deion has a higher end gear and exceleration, but you cannot confidently sat deion has better hands. i dont mind trading a difference in speed for a reciever that can establish himself physically. yes boldin posted a bad 40 time at the combine, but he has proven he knows how to play football. boldin was not even a second slower than brach. and at least boldin showed up for camp.

AndyJohnson said:
The Patriots threw the ball 564 times last year, and Branch caught 78 passes.
The Cardinals threw it 670 and Boldin caught 102.

Since Branch caught just about 1 of every 7 pass attempts that would give him an additional roughly 15 catches making his total 93 had the Pats thrown it 670 times. (Very arguably had they played behind all day like the Cards, it would be even higher because the % that go to Wrs is higher when you are losing and trying to come back)

Does the difference of 9 catches over an entire season at the most make up for bieng part of 2 SB Champs, and an organization that has a combined w/l record of 54-18 since drafting you, vs having played for one of the biggest losers in the league?

Boldin's achievement is more impressive when you factor in the difference in the delivery systems to the respective WR's. (Like the difference between Katyushas and Smart-Bombs)

Richter said:
I have to say, this sounds like a bit of homerism here. Branch doesn't have better hands than Boldin (Boldin's are excellent, and he can catch the ball with one hand fairly reliably), nor is he faster in terms of straight line speed. Boldin is a better receiver, he's a number one guy on most teams in the league. I would absolutely trade Branch straight up for Boldin, in a heartbeat, and I think Deion is vastly underrated. Boldin would catch 100 passes a year from Brady, I have no doubt in my mind about that.

What? Boldin fell in the draft because of a terrible 40 time. He is not fast. Branch has possibly the best hands in the NFL. There have been posts on this board, if you have been paying attention saying he has among the fewest drops, and one of thehighest caught/thrown to ratios in the NFL.

If Boldin caught 102 out of 670 pass attempts in Arizona how do you figure he catches 100 here when we threw it 106 fewer times?

Again, this is a case where stats are deceptive.
If the Chargers were as a bad as the Cardinals, and were far behind every game, so that Tomlinson only got 200 carries and ran for 900 yards, is he a worse player? You have to consider how stats are arrived at not just what they are.

How do you account for the value of Branch being on a team that won 54 games in 4 years vs Boldin playing for a doormat? Surely the ability to make plays that WIN games must factor in right?
Let me guess, you are one who believes Vinatieri being let go is a disaster becuase he had made kicks that won games, but at the same time place zero value on Deion Branch being part of a winner, because you gawk at the stats Boldin put up while losing games by 20 points.

Digger44 said:
one big difference is that boldin is a much more different physical type of WR. deion has a higher end gear and exceleration, but you cannot confidently sat deion has better hands. i dont mind trading a difference in speed for a reciever that can establish himself physically. yes boldin posted a bad 40 time at the combine, but he has proven he knows how to play football. boldin was not even a second slower than brach. and at least boldin showed up for camp.
A second slower? Vince Wilfork isnt a second slower that Reggie Bush.

I CAN confidently say Branch has better hands.

Why does proving he can play football have anything to do with the point that Branch is faster? Branch has proven he can play football too. Actually Branch has proven he can play and contribute to a winning team. Boldin has proven he can put up big numbers when his team gets blown out.

shmessy said:
Boldin's achievement is more impressive when you factor in the difference in the delivery systems to the respective WR's. (Like the difference between Katyushas and Smart-Bombs)

Not really. I dont care who the QB is, if my team throws it 20% more than yours, my receivers are going to have better stats.
Arguably, its just the opposite, because Brady spreads the ball, and the Cards throw much more to only their top 2 options.

Last edited by a moderator:
AndyJohnson said:
Not really. I dont care who the QB is, if my team throws it 205 more than yours, my receivers are going to have better stats.
Arguably, its just the opposite, because Brady spreads the ball, and the Cards throw much more to only their top 2 options.

Can't agree with you there, #32.

QB accuracy and OL protection in passing situations count big-time here. That and the fact that I'm sure Boldin gets far more attention from DB's when they game plan Ariz. than Branch does when a D plans for NE.

Plug Boldin in NE with our QB, running game, TE's etc. and lets see what happens to his stats.

Plug Branch into Ariz. with their QB, running game, TE's, etc. and see what happens to his stats.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
Can't agree with you there, #32.

QB accuracy and OL protection in passing situations count big-time here. That and the fact that I'm sure Boldin gets far more attention from DB's when they game plan Ariz. than Branch does when a D plans for NE.

Plug Boldin in NE with our QB, running game, TE's etc. and lets see what happens to his stats.

Plug Branch into Ariz. with their QB, running game, TE's, etc. and see what happens to his stats.

We are totally opposed here.
1) In terms of number of catches you get QB accuracy and OL protection arent nearly as relevenat as how many balls are thrown to you. If I give you a great QB and great OL and throw you the ball 4 times a game, you wont get as many catches as you would with a medicore QB bad OL and 10 balls thrown to you.
2) I think Larry Fitzgerald gets as much or more attention as Boldin. Who is taking attention away from Branch? One of the criticisms of Givens from scouts was that he took no attention away from Branch.
3) Plug Branch into Arizona and he catches more passes because they throw him more. Plug Boldin in here, and he plays Branchs role and gets what Branch got. However, Branchs better speed and especially quickenss get him more opportunites in our offense than Boldin would.

AndyJohnson said:
What? Boldin fell in the draft because of a terrible 40 time. He is not fast. Branch has possibly the best hands in the NFL. There have been posts on this board, if you have been paying attention saying he has among the fewest drops, and one of thehighest caught/thrown to ratios in the NFL.

If Boldin caught 102 out of 670 pass attempts in Arizona how do you figure he catches 100 here when we threw it 106 fewer times?

Again, this is a case where stats are deceptive.
If the Chargers were as a bad as the Cardinals, and were far behind every game, so that Tomlinson only got 200 carries and ran for 900 yards, is he a worse player? You have to consider how stats are arrived at not just what they are.

How do you account for the value of Branch being on a team that won 54 games in 4 years vs Boldin playing for a doormat? Surely the ability to make plays that WIN games must factor in right?
Let me guess, you are one who believes Vinatieri being let go is a disaster becuase he had made kicks that won games, but at the same time place zero value on Deion Branch being part of a winner, because you gawk at the stats Boldin put up while losing games by 20 points.

Yes, he put up a slow 40 time. We know how much that means in the real world. The 40 is a useless measurement, period. Boldin is plenty fast on a football field, and I've seen him run away from defenders on numerous occasions. Neither guy has eye-popping straight line speed, and I've not seen any appreciable difference in terms of gameday speed between them. As for hands, Deion does have excellent hands, I've never disputed that. I think Boldin's are better. He snatches the ball as well as any receiver in the NFL, he's not a body catcher at all, he has large enough hands to reach back and catch the ball one-handed, and he doesn't put the ball on the ground much at all from what I've seen, which is quite a few Cardinals games (living in Texas and New Mexico these past few years... ugh). I personally believe his hands are equal if not superior to Deion's, but regardless, it's not something that would put distance between the two.

And I agree that context of the stats matters - I've often advocated the use of situational stats to get a real picture of how a player is performing. Here's the thing though - despite more throws by the Cardinals, Boldin has another 100 catch receiver opposite him snagging passes, which surely cuts into his production, and he's had at best a mediocre QB throwing to him most of his career. How do you adjust his stats for those facts? Give him Tom Brady and not Josh McCown or Jeff Blake or Kurt Warner and you really think his stats would regress, even with Brady's propensity for spreading the ball? Boldin is fantastic at just getting open and finding holes in a defense, and we all know Brady's favorite receiver is the one that is open. So how do I account for the fact that Branch has played on a winner and Boldin hasn't? That's pretty easy, Branch is a good player on a great team, Boldin is a great player on an awful team. Just look at the rosters. And Boldin has made most of the plays for the Cardinals in recent history that have won them games, because he's one of the few players that team has had.

And I don't appreciate your insinuation that I think losing Adam was a disaster. From day one, I've said letting him go was the right move, especially in light of Gostkowski being drafted, because he wanted too much money. Stop being a homer on this subject and throwing out attacks like that, you lose credibility on the subject when you do.

Branch needs to fire his idiot agent, get back on the field, and show what he is worth. The Pat's need him out there.

AndyJohnson said:
We are totally opposed here.
1) In terms of number of catches you get QB accuracy and OL protection arent nearly as relevenat as how many balls are thrown to you. If I give you a great QB and great OL and throw you the ball 4 times a game, you wont get as many catches as you would with a medicore QB bad OL and 10 balls thrown to you.
2) I think Larry Fitzgerald gets as much or more attention as Boldin. Who is taking attention away from Branch? One of the criticisms of Givens from scouts was that he took no attention away from Branch.
3) Plug Branch into Arizona and he catches more passes because they throw him more. Plug Boldin in here, and he plays Branchs role and gets what Branch got. However, Branchs better speed and especially quickenss get him more opportunites in our offense than Boldin would.

We'll agree to disagree then.

In order:

1) I believe the quality of the delivery system is important

2) Givens, Watson, Graham, Brown, Faulk, Dillon, Dwight, Fauria - - more weapons and better depth of weapons in 2005 than Ari had (after their big three, no WR's over 10 receptions).

3) I'll agree to disagree here.

Last edited:
Boldin had 171 passes thrown to him, most in the NFL. Branch had 125.

Boldin caught 102 of 171 Branch 78 of 125. A much higher % for Branch.

Oh, and before we make the argument again about who was throwing it, Az QBs and Pat Qbs had an almost IDENTICAL overall completion %.

So, you throw it 670 times, I throw it 564. We complete almost an identical % of those passes.
You throw to one guy one time out of every 4, and complete a lower % than when you throw to the other guys, I throw to one guy 46 times less, amnd complete about the same % as when I throw to anyone else (screen passes included by the way). Your guy catches 24 more passes.

I have never seen more convincing evidence that the difference in the number of catches is totally due to offensive style and not player talent.

Two 1st round picks. That's just posturing if it has a basis in fact. It's like what Al Davis is doing with their malcontent WR... the name slips me... somewhat overrated.. on the brink of becoming good... ah yes Joey Porter.

Hey if Porter is willing to shut up and report for game 1, I say swap Branch for him. You'd get about the same production although Porter would need to pick up the new system.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
We'll agree to disagree then.

See my latest post. The Cardinals and Pats completed abut the same % of their passes.
When the Cards threw to Boldin the % was quite a bitlower than when the Pats threw to Branch. To me that overwhelms the argument that because the Cards threw it 20% more Boldin ended up with more catches and is better because of it.

NEM said:
If the Pats asked Deion to NEGOTIATE his own trade, how can THEY be asking for 2 draft picks?
No. Deion is able to negotiate with a team that would pay him what he wants, they'd agree to a Reggie Wayne money lets say or something, then Branch turns it over to the Pats to make a trade with the team.

2 first rounders. lmao. Wouldnt that be awesome if we had 3 first rounders?

-----

Pats top receptions

Cards top receptions:
-------------------

which offense had better depth of receiver weapons, and which offense could a D be more apt to key on the top 2? This is even greater since 2005 was a HORRIBLE year for the Patriots losing RB's to injury! Those games without a running attack forced Brady to throw for more attempts than ever except perhaps 2002. This year, and the forseeable future, do you expect Brady to have to throw it as often?

Deion never had it so good.....and he may just find that out.

Last edited:
AndyJohnson said:
Boldin had 171 passes thrown to him, most in the NFL. Branch had 125.

Boldin caught 102 of 171 Branch 78 of 125. A much higher % for Branch.

Boldin - 102/171= 59.6 we'll say 60%

Branch - 78/125= 62.4 we'll say 62%

I don't think that's a big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST