PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2/1/10 Draft game-you make the picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you (can you and still take 'em?) trading back to take these three or you think they will climb or should climb to these slots post-combine/pro-day?

Velly intellesting, Belichickian.

22 - DE odrick
44 - OLB Hughes
47 - CB Wilson (unless they sign Bodden then....LB Norwood)
53 - OG Johnson
Based on their ranking and where the NE draft picks are, I was looking at a trade back for some extra picks while still getting the players I thought best for NE's system.

Actually, after listening to the Austen Lang interview, and doing some more reading this morning, I'd probably try to trade down at 22 and pick up Odrick, then try to grab Kam Thomas late second/early third.

Based on their ranking and where the NE draft picks are, I was looking at a trade back for some extra picks while still getting the players I thought best for NE's system.

Actually, after listening to the Austen Lang interview, and doing some more reading this morning, I'd probably try to trade down at 22 and pick up Odrick, then try to grab Kam Thomas late second/early third.

I love the Saffold pick.

I love the Saffold pick.
If folks look at NE's OL drafted in the top three rounds since 2005 and used as starters/injury starters as rookies - Shrine Game.

Well, there's quite a few options. First off, I'd rather not select at #22, would prefer to trade down or out, pick up another second-rounder this draft (and maybe a third-rounder too). So being a stubborn and independent Vermonter -- I ain't picking at #22 -- but I'll give you 4 Pats prospects from my board: :)

LB Sean Weatherspoon (surprise :D )
WR Mardy Gilyard
DE/OLB Jason Worilds
DE/DT Arthur Jones

If folks look at NE's OL drafted in the top three rounds since 2005 and used as starters/injury starters as rookies - Shrine Game.

Are you saying it's not rocket science? Don't tell Mel, but still I went of course on all 3 with trade backs.

Dan Williams DT Tennessee
jon asamoah, G Illinois
mccluster, RB

Not to rain on the thread's parade, but this exercise works so much better with a mock draft. Quarterbacks and Offensive tackles always go higher that they appear in "best player" rankings, safeties and interior linemen lower. I would be stunned if the first QB doesn't go until #7, for example, and does anyone really think Iupati is going #14? Or Berry going #2? Four LT prospects on the board at 21?

22 - Bruce Campbell
44 - Terrence Cody
47 - Greg Hardy
53 - Austen Lane
22. Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa (23)
Why Bulaga over Campbell?

Last edited:
Campbell is over-rated IMO

22. Brandon Graham OLB, DE
44. Aaron Hernandez TE
47. Terrence Cody DT
53. Jerry Hughes OLB

OK, the site updated the rankings after I picked so I will pick again. :D

Bulaga
JPP
Cody
Hughes

:singing:

22. Jared Odrick, DE
44. Brandon Spikes, ILB
47. Jerry Hughes, OLB
53. Kyle Wilson, CB

All Defense for me. This draft would make me giddy.

22. Sergio Kindle DE/OLB Texas: Has the size (6'4 255), versatility, production, and Will Muschamp coaching. Will he run the BB required 4.6 40?
44. Jahvid Best, RB, Cal: Has the big play ability BB likes in his higher pick RBs
47. Arthur Jones DL Syracuse: I think he can two-gap. High character guy
53. Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami: The RZ threat the Pats desperatley need.

Last edited:
Best Draft Possible with this rules:

-1st Round : Sergio Kindle
-2nd Round :Brandon Spikes
-2nd Round :Terrence Cody
-2nd Round :Arrelious Benn

BTW they updated the list as of 2/2/2010...

#22: Ricky Sapp OLB, Clemson- the size and speed for the prototypical 3-4 OLB. He is now 2 years removed from an ACl tear, transitioned to LB last year at Clemson. He is "ready" to breakout.

#44: (No Brainer) Sean Weatherspoon ILB, Missouri- He is the type of high energy, high talk guy that is made to be a ILB. They already moved him to ILB at the Senior Bowl and he was all over the feild. Excellent in pass coverage with more than enough bulk to fill a hole. Move him right inot the starting line-up at the Mike, move Mayo to the waekside where his speed can translate into plays. I'm lovin it!!!

#47: Mt. Cody, NT Alabama, pay no attention to that blubber. This kid can play. Once properly motivated and away from the buffet circuit. He will be an absolute steal here.

#53: Jerry Hughes OLB, TCU- a little short for the prototypical BB OLB, but a playmaker. Could add some bulk and play effectively with his hand on the ground.

That's right: ALL DEFENSE!

and for the rest of the picks...

4th 21 (119): Arthur Jones, 6’3” 295, DT Syracuse- All-American was hurt at the end of the year, no way he is still around here, but since we are playing this game, I’m taking him here.

6th 21 (193):Sergio Render, 6’3” 318 OG, Virginia Tech- solid OG, again, no way here is available in the 6th round.

6th Comp (206): Myrone Rolle, 6’2” 217 SS, Florida State- a steal here at the back end of the 6th round.

7th 22 (233): Chris Brown, 5’10” 202 RB, Oklahoma- RBs always a crap shoot. Worth a shot.

7th 24 (Philly) (235): Brent Bowden, 6’3” 197 P, Virginia Tech-FINALLY a replacement for Josh Miller, young gun with a booming leg, and the ability to pin the opponent deep.

7th Comp (249): Clifton Geathers, 6’7” 281 DE, South Carolina- a big DE who is very young and can fill out. Too some bad advice and entered the draft early. His father,unlce and brother all played in the NFL.

7th Comp (250): Jeff Byers, 6’3” 299 C, USC- I thought he played pretty well in the Senior bowl. USC Lineman are usually a pretty good bet in the NFL.

7th Comp (251): Trindon Holliday 5’5” 162 KR, LSU- fast is as fast does, maybe he can get the ball beyond the thrity yard line.

Last edited:
Actually, there'll be two separate coin flips, one for JAX, one for TEN.

And, DW Toys, the Patriots will NOT be getting a comp 5 for anyone.

No bleep, that's what I'd said. I said, "Actually, from what I'd read, there will be a coin flip to decide whether or not New England will select #42 or #44 and #47 or #48 in the second round."

I think you misread what I'd written.

2/2/10 Updated version...

Four picks only -- none worthy of #22

LB Sean Weatherspoon
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
OL Mike Johnson
DE/DT Arthur Jones

Not to rain on the thread's parade, but this exercise works so much better with a mock draft. Quarterbacks and Offensive tackles always go higher that they appear in "best player" rankings, safeties and interior linemen lower. I would be stunned if the first QB doesn't go until #7, for example, and does anyone really think Iupati is going #14? Or Berry going #2? Four LT prospects on the board at 21?

This is one in a zillion of these we will probably do between now and the draft. Guys will rise and fall in rankings and mocks every week or month.

The purpose was to get a feel for who people are starting to look at as possible Patriots picks. We can do that by using mocks but many don't want to go through that exercise so this is an easier way of doing it.

Looking forward to seeing your mocks as usual. And if you have some spare time, you can do another cheerleader tourney.:rocker:

#22 Sergio Kindle-OLB. A first round pass rusher, finally.

#42 Terrance Cody- DT. Wilfork will be back. This is a BPA pick. Cody+Wilfork will cause some creative packages.

#47 Vladimir Ducasse- OT. Brady constantly has less time to throw because of the bum Kaczur letting the pocket collapse time and time again.

#58 Arrelious Benn-WR. A #3 or #2 receiver that the pats offense needs.

#22 Sergio Kindle-OLB. A first round pass rusher, finally.

#42 Terrance Cody- DT. Wilfork will be back. This is a BPA pick. Cody+Wilfork will cause some creative packages.

#47 Vladimir Ducasse- OT. Brady constantly has less time to throw because of the bum Kaczur letting the pocket collapse time and time again.

#58 Arrelious Benn-WR. A #3 or #2 receiver that the pats offense needs.
Not Bad but Vlad is a project.
DW Toys

#22 Jared Odrick - Belichick prefers using 1st round picks for d-line
#44 Aaron Hernandez - Brady needs targets
#47 Jon Asamoah -Second rated guard, the o-line needs help too!
#53 Amari Spievey- Pair with Butler, a great corner tandem and D-backfield is young and talented

I didn't include a Linebacker but I think we trade one of our seconds. Pick up a 3rd and 4th, take a receiver/TE and a OLineman in the 3rd and 4th. Then use one of the 2nds for edge player/LB. At least I hope so!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back