PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

156 yards rushing on 33 carries

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Against last year's #1 run D... that is impressive.

Does anyone know the reason Blount gets the nod in the 4th instead of Ridley? Do the coaches still have fear of him fumbling? I feel as if he hit the same holes Blount did..he would have had more yards due to speed.

I don't want to take anything away from our running game, but Tampa's #1 run D was a fraud.

They had the third fewest rushing attempts against them due to having the 2nd most pass attempts against. They DID hold opponents to a low average (of 3.5) but nobody ever cared to establish a running game against them. Teams passed every down, rightfully so. It was one of the worst pass defenses I've ever seen in the NFL, outside of Washington this year, maybe THE worst.

Does anyone know the reason Blount gets the nod in the 4th instead of Ridley? Do the coaches still have fear of him fumbling? I feel as if he hit the same holes Blount did..he would have had more yards due to speed.

Probably fear of having yet another guy hurt

I don't want to take anything away from our running game, but Tampa's #1 run D was a fraud.

They had the third fewest rushing attempts against them due to having the 2nd most pass attempts against. They DID hold opponents to a low average (of 3.5) but nobody ever cared to establish a running game against them. Teams passed every down, rightfully so. It was one of the worst pass defenses I've ever seen in the NFL, outside of Washington this year, maybe THE worst.

Fair point and you're right that there wasn't many carries against them compared to other teams. 3.5 allowed is still pretty good though regardless....

33 carries to me says almost just as much as the yards. If you can pound the rock over 30 times your running game is doing something right...

Would you rather risk Blount or Ridley?

Would you rather risk Blount or Ridley?

You can't play football that way. That's basically playing scared. You should always have your best player on the field at a given position. I get if Ridley fumbles or gets winded at the end of a series. But just like putting Blount on KRs...it's stupid.

It's the corey "clock killing" dillion strategy. Tackling blount is like trying to hogtie a water buffalo

Over the course of 19 game season, there are enough carries for everyone. Every hit Ridley doesn't take now is a carry with fresher legs in the playoffs.

Use 'em all.

You can't play football that way. That's basically playing scared. You should always have your best player on the field at a given position.

Maybe in fantasy football. But, an NFL season is a war of attrition and every one of "your best players" are going to be battered and bruised by December. The idea is a maximize production from the entire roster. Especially at running back where every carry is pounding hit.

The running game and defense are going to be enormous during the learning phase of our rookie WR's, along with the waiting phase of our top injured players.

That is 2/3 games now that the run game has been very effective.

We may be playing a bit of a different game than we've seen lately, but there's plenty of different ways to win and it could prove to be very beneficial down the stretch of the season.

You can't play football that way. That's basically playing scared. You should always have your best player on the field at a given position. I get if Ridley fumbles or gets winded at the end of a series. But just like putting Blount on KRs...it's stupid.

Its playing smart, distribute the load, the game was in hand at that point, save Ridley for more important minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes