PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 days in - Josh and the boys are ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either you need to learn how to reword your sentences, or you are completely wrong. Brady and Welker DID tear their ACLS.
The latest news seems to indicate that you were correct and I was wrong in the sense that the ACL injury to Mankins will take longer than usual, it seems, to heal. So, when you described him as a question mark, you were correct. While mid-August seems to be the return date, he should be OK for the regular season, but it's never a sure thing.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but Welker and Brady both had MCL - no comparison to ACL. I don't mind anyone being skeptical, but you really do need to know the difference. It's huge.
That's true, but an ACL tear is still no walk in the park.

Mankins/Connolly/Waters are all 30+ years old and getting older. If Waters does come back, this is likely his last season. They have Marcus Cannon, but that's only one spot, and they seem to like him at tackle. Wendell is more of a utility player than a starter. I think it makes a lot of sense to draft C/G anyway, especially center. That would free up Connolly to step in for Mankins or Waters if needed.

Last edited:
Well Light has taken a position with the NFLPA Executive Players committee, I think that is (hopefully) an indicator he will be playing next year.

That's true, but an ACL tear is still no walk in the park.

Mankins/Connolly/Waters are all 30+ years old and getting older. If Waters does come back, this is likely his last season. They have Marcus Cannon, but that's only one spot, and they seem to like him at tackle. Wendell is more of a utility player than a starter. I think it makes a lot of sense to draft C/G anyway, especially center. That would free up Connolly to step in for Mankins or Waters if needed.

if they really think they need to sign a C/G, why on earth wouldn't they resign Koppen?

There is no need to "sign" a guard or a center. However, the draft is used to secure future players. We are fine going forward at OT with Solder, Vollmer and Cannon, even if Vollmer continues to be bothered by his injury.

At OC/G, we are fine for this year, with Gallery as a backup OG and Wendell and MacDonald as a backup centers. HOWEVER, looking into 2013 and 2014, there are needs (that is primarily what the draft is for). We have Mankins and Connolly. Perhaps McDonald or Connolly is our future at center, perhaps not. Perhaps Connolly is a future all-pro OG; perhaps Cannon will move over.

BOTTOM LINE
We are fine for 2012. The question is whether we want to bring in another candidate for the future. Koppen does seem to fill that role, unless we think that he has 3 years left, in which case, he should be re-signed to starting center. But Koppen is not a youngster.

if they really think they need to sign a C/G, why on earth wouldn't they resign Koppen?

Josh and the boys are ready for who?? The Giants?? The Ravens??
I think not.
Seems to me all the Pats have done is sign WR's and lose their only steady RB. OL is weaker and the QB is a year older.

He's not negative.

He's ignorant. " I think not" is about the only insightful part of the post.

Somebody might want to enlighten this guy that the Ravens lost three key players and haven't signed anybody.

If he can ever understand that, I wonder if he can comprehend how the obstacle to hoisting the Lombardi was addressed?

Last edited:
I think it makes a lot of sense to draft C/G anyway, especially center.

It's certainly a possibility. I think we all realize that it's a future need, and could even be considered an immediate backup need--albeit on a much lesser level.

I think 2 of the things that pop into my mind are the situation with Koppen, and if they see/want him here this yr, and consider that a possibility; and also the prioritization of total team needs, which include both immediate and future.

In other words, while drafting an interior lineman may be a very good idea this yr, they may see other areas that have a much greater need that will come before that.

It certainly will be something to keep an eye on, come the end of April.

In other words, while drafting an interior lineman may be a very good idea this yr, they may see other areas that have a much greater need that will come before that.
Depends how the organization views about the futures of Donald Thomas and Nick McDonald.

So, who are competing for starting positions in 2013? Mankins, Connolly and McDonald make 3. We also need a Game Day backup who must be able to center. Let's say Wendell and Thomas are the backups.

My conclusion is that we need a developmental C/OG. Obviously, another option is to re-sign Koppen.

Depends how the organization views about the futures of Donald Thomas and Nick McDonald.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes