PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1 more mock draft with trades 4/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
After this, I will be working on a full 7 round mock that i will post. Here is a 1 round mock draft with trades.

1. Panthers- Cam Newton QB Auburn
Panthers need a QB and they are already done with clausen. Some experts say that having Newton will "expand" your playbook.

2. Broncos- Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
This pick is a no brainer.

3. Bills- Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
The bills need a pass rusher, an immediate starter. They take the best OLB in the draft.

4. Bengals- A.J. Green WR Georgia
Bengals need a QB and more, but with Ochocinco possibly not coming back and TO already gone. They take the best player on the board and is also a need.

5. Cardinals- Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Cardinals need a replacement for Leinart. Fitzgerald wants out if he cant get a QB that can get him the ball. They get the next best QB available.

6. Browns- Robert Quinn DE UNC
I heard from experts that Quinn is more explosive playing DE than OLB. The Browns need serious help on the edge and take the best DE available.

7. 49ers- Patrick Peterson CB LSU
49ers get a steal. Taking the CB in the draft and has great value. Great pick up for the 49ers.

8. Titans- Nick Fairley DT Auburn
Titans need a big guy in the middle that can disrupt the pocket and stop the run. The only issue with Fairley is his character.

*TRADE*
Cowboys trade #9 to the Lions for #13 and #75
9. Lions- Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Knowing that the Texans would take Prince, they trade up to get him. CB is their biggest need and I am sure that their fans are happy about this pick.

*TRADE*
Redskins trade #10 to Chargers for #18, #50
10. Chargers- J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
The Chargers covet Watt, they get nervous that the Texans will grab him since Prince is off the board. They pull the trigger and get him.

11. Texans- Cameron Jordan DE Cal
Since Prince and Watt are off the board. They take the next best 5 technique guy in the draft.

*TRADE*
Vikings trade #12 to Dolphins for #15, #111, #146, 2012 5th
12. Dolphins- Mike Pouncey OG Florida
Dolphins have a couple options here, but theres no point in getting a QB if you cant protect him. They trade up to take the best Guard in the draft.

13. Cowboys- Tyron Smith OT USC
Cowboys need serious help on the O-line. If they want to win games they have to protect Romo. They take the best OT available and on top of that, they get a couple extra picks.

14. Rams- Julio Jones WR Alabama
Shocking that Jones fell this far. Rams didnt have to trade up to get him. Lucky them.

*TRADE*
Vikings trade #15 to Buccaneers for #20, #84, #151
15. Buccaneers- Aldon Smith DE Missouri
The buccaneers decide to trade up and take a pure pass rusher. They knew that the Jags would take him if they didnt make a move.

16. Jaguars- Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
Since Smith is off the board, they take the next best DE in the draft.

*TRADE*
Patriots trade #17 to Colts for #22, #87, #188
17. Colts- Anthony Castonzo Boston College
The Colts decide to trade up to get their OT to protect Manning.

18. Redskins- Jake Locker QB Washington
The Redskins trade down to get the QB they wanted and gathered some picks along the way.

19. Giants- Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
The Giants need to upgrade their whole offensive line since they are getting old. They take the best available OT.

20. Vikings- Christian Ponder QB Florida State
The Vikings trade down twice, they gather picks and get a QB. Great moves by the Vikings for once.

21. Chiefs- Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
This is a risky pick. Doctors have said bowers wont be in the league long due to his knee injury. This pick is a high risk, high reward. Dont be surprised if Bowers falls to round 2.

22. Patriots- Muhammed Wilkerson DE Temple
The Patriots take a DE that is a huge need for the patriots. They need to replace seymour. They also get a couple picks to move up and down the draft boards.

23. Eagles- Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
The Eagles need an upgrade to their secondary, especially since hobbs retired.

24. Saints- Corey Liuget DT Illinois
Saints need a DT and get the next best DT available.

*TRADE*
Seahawks trade #25 to Bills for #34, #100, #122
25. Bills- Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
Bills get anxious and move up to draft the next best QB in the draft.

26. Ravens- Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State
The ravens need to upgrade part of their line and they take the next best OT in the draft.

27. Falcons- Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
the Falcons have a lot of need, but whats available is a DE that can set the edge and give them a pass rush.

*TRADE*
Patriots trade #28 to Steelers for #31, #128, #196
28. Steelers- Danny Watkins OG Baylor
The Steelers decided to trade up to grab the player they covet. They really need to protect rapistberger.

29. Bears- Nate Solder OT Colorado
The Bears need to protect Cutler. They take the next available OT in the draft.

30. Jets- Phil Taylor NT Baylor
The Jest need to upgrade their NT position. Jenkins is made of glass and is a free agent. OR Rex Ryan trades this pick for a lifetime supply of twinkies!

31. Patriots- Justin Houston OLB Georgia
I know a lot of fans arent high on Houston, but i think he would do great in the Patriots system. also, he is the best available OLB and on the bright side we acquire more picks.

32. Packers- Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
Packers need an OLB that can compliment Matthews. They take the next available OLB in the draft.

BONUS PICK-
33. Patriots- Mark Ingram RB Alabama
Surprisingly, Ingram fell into the 2nd Round and the Patriots couldnt resist. Great value and need for the Patriots here.

I would have stayed at #28 and drafted Watkins. Getting a questionable OLB instead of a badly needed top OL seems wrong. Some even would have picked Costanzo at 17 ourselves and traded up from 28 for Wilkerson. It seems that there is value at OL and DE available in the first round for us.

I can see Ingram at #33. I could also see LeShoure. Personally, I would take Reed, but I suspect that Belichick will not want a LB at 33 (or 31), so a top RB does indeed make sense. And, I do strongly believe that both Ingram and LeShoure are miles ahead of other running backs on most boards.

Last edited:
11. Texans- Cameron Jordan DE Cal

You lost me on this one. The Texans have 4 major needs on defense...NT and rush LB (for transition to 3-4), CB and S (since they are suckish there and must overcome Goober to win the division). Jordan is fine at #11...just not to the Texans.

*TRADE*
Vikings trade #12 to Dolphins for #15, #111, #146, 2012 5th
12. Dolphins- Mike Pouncey OG Florida

After this pick, the Fins would only have #79, #179 and some 7th rounders left. They also re-signed Incognito so Pouncey would likely have to play center. The Fins should be looking to trade down. Making this worse is the likelihood of Pouncey being available at #15 or later anyway.

*TRADE*
Patriots trade #17 to Colts for #22, #87, #188

The Colts almost never trade during the draft and I'm not sure why the Pats would be motivated to make this move. Not that it is unfair...just that it is so uninspiring for the Pats. The Pats are sitting at the edge of the presumed QB run (the Skins and Vikes traded down for a reason) so they have a tremendous asset. Moving down and getting 2 picks outside the talent cliff for this draft class doesn't make much sense. The Bills, Niners , Bengals and Titans would likely pay much more to get their choice of the next tier of QBs.

*TRADE*
Patriots trade #28 to Steelers for #31, #128, #196

This makes even less sense. While this furthers the diabolical goal of dominating day 3 of a shallow draft, this trade back slides the Pats behind a division rival also looking for a pass rush threat.

Seems like this projection had a conclusion (Pats don't find value and trade down) and forced the picks to fit the conclusion. It would be interesting to know who you think the Pats would be targeting and why they wouldn't trade up (nobody else has a problem doing it) to get those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back