PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Malcolm Mitchell on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's all about where you draw your JAG line. My line says most of the NFL are JAGs.

Many felt the same way about Dobson, right up until BB booted his ass out of Dodge.

Most of the NFLers are JAGs? You have high standards. :p

In Dobson's rookie year he was not a JAG. He was good.

Somewhere around the end of 2014 to TC in 2015 he became a JAG.

Mitchell's situation bears watching for sure but he is not a JAG jet.

Most of the NFLers are JAGs? You have high standards. :p

In Dobson's rookie year he was not a JAG. He was good.

Somewhere around the end of 2014 to TC in 2015 he became a JAG.

Mitchell's situation bears watching for sure but he is not a JAG jet.

Mitchell had the 144th most catches in the league in his rookie year. If that's not a JAG, what the hell is?

Do you think every guy who catches 32 passes in their rookie year is "good", or is that just reserved for our players?

Mitchell had the 144th most catches in the league in his rookie year. If that's not a JAG, what the hell is?

Do you think every guy who catches 32 passes in their rookie year is "good", or is that just reserved for our players?

My assessment has nothing to do with if the player is on the NEP.

It has everything to do with performing at the NFL level.

As it pertains to MM, considering he was hurt to start the season and his snap count went up after Gronk's injury, 32 catches and 400 yards and a helluva SB is pretty damn good for a rookie thus not making him a JAG.

In my opinion Kansas City has drafted better than any team in the NFL in the past 5 years

The bar for rookie WRs is set insanely low here due to various factors, but as RW suggested, he showed progress throughout the season and played well in a big time setting.

My assessment has nothing to do with if the player is on the NEP.

It has everything to do with performing at the NFL level.

As it pertains to MM, considering he was hurt to start the season and his snap count went up after Gronk's injury, 32 catches and 400 yards and a helluva SB is pretty damn good for a rookie thus not making him a JAG.

Well, being hurt is all part of the JAG calculation, and he's hurt again.

The bar for rookie WRs is set insanely low here due to various factors, but as RW suggested, he showed progress throughout the season and played well in a big time setting.

"Progress" and playing well in one game does not exclude one from JAGdom.

If you want to say relative to the other WRs BB has drafted this guy is a standout, I can go along with that. That track record is quite dismal.

"Progress" and playing well in one game does not exclude one from JAGdom.

If you want to say relative to the other WRs BB has drafted this guy is a standout, I can go along with that. That track record is quite dismal.
Fair enough. I get your point, but I think the fact that he was picking up our system and making strides during his first year is what the argument is. He continued to show progression from week one to week 19, which as we know, isn't exactly the case with many first year receivers.

I have smarter people than myself stating that a guy like Philip Dorsett will be contributing soon, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he were actually able to produce on an effective level, at least statistically. They'll obviously dumb down the offense because they have no other choice, and perhaps he can have a dozen or so rehearsed plays, but this offense isn't easy to pick up.

Now, I could get behind your idea that Mitchell was nothing more than a JAG if he weren't injured and didn't progress even more in his second year, but he did pretty nicely as a first year player, at least in my opinion.

Fair enough. I get your point, but I think the fact that he was picking up our system and making strides during his first year is what the argument is. He continued to show progression from week one to week 19, which as we know, isn't exactly the case with many first year receivers.

I have smarter people than myself stating that a guy like Philip Dorsett will be contributing soon, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he were actually able to produce on an effective level, at least statistically. They'll obviously dumb down the offense because they have no other choice, and perhaps he can have a dozen or so rehearsed plays, but this offense isn't easy to pick up.

Now, I could get behind your idea that Mitchell was nothing more than a JAG if he weren't injured and didn't progress even more in his second year, but he did pretty nicely as a first year player, at least in my opinion.

Dorsett just got here. When amendola got hurt this offense struggled.

Dorsett just got here. When amendola got hurt this offense struggled.
Could you elaborate on your thoughts a bit more? I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this. Thanks.

I am saying I think Dorsett could help somewhat once he gets this offense down. We will see.
Agreed, but they have no choice, so Brady will have to target him in a trial by fire method. Dorsett wouldn't even have been active had it not been for the Mitchell news prior to the game, and he certainly wouldn't have seen action if Amendola hadn't gotten hurt.

It will be similar to the 2006 and 2013 seasons where new guys like Caldwell, Gaffney (eventually), Thompkins, and Dobson were seeing targets, but hopefully not on the same level if Amendola returns soon.

I don't see Billy trading our first rounder for Cooks if Mitchell is the real deal in his estimation;so he isn't. They guy is an injury problem as well, but compared to the stiffs we have drafted at WR in the past, he is better. I guess for us he is not a JAG but for the rest of the league he would be.

Can he develop? Maybe. If you asked me after a year of Dobson I would have said no (and did, much to the chagrin of the faithful). But you can't develop if you can't stay on the field.

I don't see Billy trading our first rounder for Cooks if Mitchell is the real deal in his estimation;so he isn't. They guy is an injury problem as well, but compared to the stiffs we have drafted at WR in the past, he is better. I guess for us he is not a JAG but for the rest of the league he would be.

Can he develop? Maybe. If you asked me after a year of Dobson I would have said no (and did, much to the chagrin of the faithful). But you can't develop if you can't stay on the field.
Agreed, although I was right there with you in making fun of those who were somehow tricked into thinking that guys like Thompkins and Dobson were "good" during the '13 season.

Can't get behind the comparison of getting a speedster like Cooks to more of a Brandon Lloyd type (Mitchell), so you lost me there, but yes--what's considered to be a decent first year at WR here is often just another guy on other teams.

Kinda depends on how you define "real deal", though.

We could use a Keenan Allen type. Big physical great catch radius, big time possession WR can box out smaller corners on outs, and win one on one battles in traffic in the middle of the field. Friggin Dobson

I love cooks to death but he's got one style...he's s burner. Very competitive gets open, but he's not very physical, and he's small. So don't expect him to make big third down catches over the middle in traffic...he's not that type. But he's your explosive big play WR. Cooks drew two big DPI flags and had a 60 yard catch, he takes the top off defenses. Dorsett same to a much lesser degree.

Last edited:
We could use a Keenan Allen type. Big physical great catch radius, big time possession WR can box out smaller corners on outs, and win one on one battles in traffic in the middle of the field. Friggin Dobson.

Allen Hurns would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference