PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who does Champ cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaychamp

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I was just wandering who you guys think he will be covering? Even though he's a rook, and if he's playing, I think CJ is our biggest threat. Do you think when CJ is out there that is who he covers, and maybe Troy otherwise?

jaychamp said:
I was just wandering who you guys think he will be covering? Even though he's a rook, and if he's playing, I think CJ is our biggest threat. Do you think when CJ is out there that is who he covers, and maybe Troy otherwise?

No, I think they'll have him cover Caldwell most of the time, maybe some Gabriel, depending on how the game flows and goes.

Just my 2 cents....

Brown, Caldwell, Gabriel, Jackson, Watson.

More than a passing fancy
http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=d1b5de08-1542-476f-bcf5-06f7c9a89aa4

This caught my eye...
Picking up the slack nicely has been running back Kevin Faulk with three catches for 33 yards and a diving touchdown against Buffalo in week one.

But Faulk is best used when he can line up in the backfield and then move out to a receiver position, usually drawing a mismatch in coverage with a linebacker on him. Those matchups don’t happen every time out.
Another statistic that factors in here, Faulk drew both a Pass Interference and a Defensive Holding penalty from Jes't LBs - that's good for two first downs and a few extra yards.

doesn't matter who Bailey covers,with their blitz packages,both corners play zone with one safety in the box,the other deep middle and the linebackers drop into the outside short zones in front of the 2 conerbacks.In the red zone,they like to blitz their strong side corner after the TE either blocks down on the DE or releases into a pass pattern.They're going to run blitz to stop our run and blind side blitz on Brady until we figure out how to stop it.They figure if the do it enough they'll get turnovers.It worked last year and there's no reason for them to change.They don't believe Brady is mobile enough to beat their blitz.already this year,2 games,2 strip sacks of Brady,ya think Denver sees an oppurtunity here?

italia44 said:
doesn't matter who Bailey covers,with their blitz packages,both corners play zone with one safety in the box,the other deep middle and the linebackers drop into the outside short zones in front of the 2 conerbacks.In the red zone,they like to blitz their strong side corner after the TE either blocks down on the DE or releases into a pass pattern.They're going to run blitz to stop our run and blind side blitz on Brady until we figure out how to stop it.They figure if the do it enough they'll get turnovers.It worked last year and there's no reason for them to change.They don't believe Brady is mobile enough to beat their blitz.already this year,2 games,2 strip sacks of Brady,ya think Denver sees an oppurtunity here?

This is why if we can establish a run game early, particularily Dillon punching it through the middle, I really think this game could be one-sided.

id say Caldwell and they let the youngsters try to stick with uncle troy.if CJ is in..the only person i think that would matchup with him would be Champ. Watson will likely be manned or doubled with the other safety (not lynch) whome they consider good against TEs and then i would guess Gold or Williams to try and stick with Watson a bit.

jaychamp said:

Could this question in itself speak many positive volumes about the Patriots this year? Now, as it's pointed out later, it probably won't be a man situation, but suppose it is as the season goes on. The fact that we have so many players that are decent, and none obviously 'the best' means that other teams won't always double up the right one.

I think this question bodes very well for the 2006 pats.

RodRustsGhost said:
Could this question in itself speak many positive volumes about the Patriots this year? Now, as it's pointed out later, it probably won't be a man situation, but suppose it is as the season goes on. The fact that we have so many players that are decent, and none obviously 'the best' means that other teams won't always double up the right one.

I think this question bodes very well for the 2006 pats.
Same thing as the fearsome foursome of 03/04, Branch, Givens, Brown, and Patten - no clear #1, just a bunch of guys who make it very hard to defend one-on-one, yet you can't afford to double them...the future's so bright! :cool:

Q: Who does Champ cover?
A:"Your mom!"

Seriously though whoever he is lined up against. The Pats don't have any real threatening receivers except for maybe Ben Watson. I think the Donks will try to shut him down and then put 8 in the box to stop the Pats two headed monster ground attack.

heh he might be best used taking out Troy.

VJCPatriot said:
Q: Who does Champ cover?
A:"Your mom!"

Seriously though whoever he is lined up against. The Pats don't have any real threatening receivers except for maybe Ben Watson. I think the Donks will try to shut him down and then put 8 in the box to stop the Pats two headed monster ground attack.
I don't see how CJ isn't considered a real threat. He was thrown to 3 times last week, 1 great catch, 1 drop but more importantly he had his guy absolutely burnt deep, and then a TD catch where he absolutely burned the DB again. I would consider that a real threat.

jaychamp said:
I don't see how CJ isn't considered a real threat. He was thrown to 3 times last week, 1 great catch, 1 drop but more importantly he had his guy absolutely burnt deep, and then a TD catch where he absolutely burned the DB again. I would consider that a real threat.

Ok maybe I should rephrase that as not a "proven" threat. I mean yes DC's have nightmares about defending Marvin Harrison but I don't think our CJ has gotten to that point YET. :)

VJCPatriot said:
Ok maybe I should rephrase that as not a "proven" threat. I mean yes DC's have nightmares about defending Marvin Harrison but I don't think our CJ has gotten to that point YET. :)
I can agree with that :)

jaychamp said:

Plus we still don't know yet what exactly is up with his hamstring. We thought it was healed but he has remained on the injury report. It could just be a Belichick manuever or it could still be bothering him.

Watson

zippo59 said:
Plus we still don't know yet what exactly is up with his hamstring. We thought it was healed but he has remained on the injury report. It could just be a Belichick manuever or it could still be bothering him.
IMHO teams see watson as the most dangerous player in that offense. take the strong point away, and let the other players try to carry the passing attack.
but they surely know that troy and faulk can hurt them, bad, and jackson could easily break loose for a couple long TDs if they don't stay awake. does anyone think they're worried about caldwell?
perhaps champ will do some ball hawking underneath. you know, the old ty law position/nonposition.
when you look at the champ bailey interception TD, look to see who was a step and a half behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3