PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which veteran ILB do you see getting cut that may help us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Who do you see as a veteran ILB on another team that has at least a few good years and that might be able to help us in our weakest area?

Be realistic,I don't expect Zach Thomas,Shawne Merrimen or any high profiled player to get cut,Just base your guess around a guy probably in his lower 30s which is most likely to get released based on teams wanting some newer blood,but yet a player who still has something left in the tank.

Although it is a pretty big long shot, but James Farrior might be available. He is getting up there in age and the Steelers are potentially moving to a 4-3. Farrior also played for Belichick with the Jets although he was a disapointment there, but so were Bobby Hamilton and Roman Phifer.

Again, it would be a fairly decent long shot and we would probably have to trade for him, but not completely outside the realm of possibility.

a little intrigued by Chaun Thompson, Andra Davis or Willie McGinest, Browns. Not sure if they'll get cut, but the Brown LB corps is stacked, money-wise if not talent wise, with McGinest, Thompson, A. Davis, Wimbley, L. Williams, and DQ. Jackson. The Browns' buffoon GM is already measuring the rope for Romeo, cutting ties with his guys as a precursor to unjustly firing the coach. I can see McGinest coming back on the cheap and Vrabel moving inside all year. Long shot but possible.

Last edited:
Andra Davis and Chaun Thompson won't be cut. If they were, they would instantly solve all the Patriots linebacking woes. Big claim, there, but they're young, solid 3-4 ILBs.

a little intrigued by Chaun Thompson, Andra Davis or Willie McGinest, Browns. Not sure if they'll get cut, but the Brown LB corps is stacked, money-wise if not talent wise, with McGinest, Thompson, A. Davis, Wimbley, L. Williams, and DQ. Jackson. The Browns' buffoon GM is already measuring the rope for Romeo, cutting ties with his guys as a precursor to unjustly firing the coach. I can see McGinest coming back on the cheap and Vrabel moving inside all year. Long shot but possible.

I'd love to see Willie come home.

Andra Davis and Chaun Thompson won't be cut. If they were, they would instantly solve all the Patriots linebacking woes. Big claim, there, but they're young, solid 3-4 ILBs.

You're probably right. But Savage is loony, so I expect the unexpected. Also, the Browns may face a money crunch paying 1st rd signing bonuses to Thomas and Quinn. T. Condon is going to demand big money for Quinn despite his swan dive as a way of saving face.

Willie was out the only game I saw the Browns in last year, but everything I've read indicates he has lost a lot of his skills. Does anyone who saw him play last year have a different opinion?

Willie was out the only game I saw the Browns in last year, but everything I've read indicates he has lost a lot of his skills. Does anyone who saw him play last year have a different opinion?

Seems to me like Willie will be more suspect to injury in his older ravaged body from so many hard hits over his career with examples of his ankle problems last year
Sad to say but Willie may be only backup LB material at this stage in his career.

Kendrel Bell, though I question whether he'll be THAT much of an improvement over Alexander as a back up to Tedy and Seau. I'm obviously presuming Seau comes back for one more run at the ring.

I think if Willie is cut, he will come back to the Patriots for a veteran minimum one year deal or retire. He might come back in a back up role just to try to win another title and retire a Patriot, but I can't see him signing on with another team for an one year veteran minimum contract which is about all he can get at this point.

I second that! Come back as a backup for the vm and retire a Patriot. Of all the cuts made that year,to me he was the one who seemed the most displaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes