PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When Stadiums were places to see sports.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was scanning the twitter feed today as saw one hyping a professional rugby game at Quincy's Veteran Memorial Stadium.

It precipitated a lot of memories for me, this beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. The Vet was built as a depression era WPA project in 1938. My first memory of seeing it was in 1961. Since my HS was in the suburban league we played both N.Quincy HS and Quincy HS, so at least once a season we played there. Then After college, the HS team I coached usually played at least one of the Quincy teams. And finally my home games and all our practices were played at the Vet when I played professionally (sort of) in the Atlantic Coast league. So LOTS of memories in that stadium.

Now that you have the background, my point is that THAT stadium is almost 90 years old and STILL operating and hosting games and thousands of fans over those years. Fans that were basically satisfied to have a place to sit and watch a game, be it football rugby or soccer, or any of the other myriads of sports that have been played there.

Do your remember those times? The days when the object of the stadium was to provide a place to WATCH the damned game. It didn't have to have many amenities. Just a place to take a piss and have a drink and something to munch on and a seat or bench to put one's ass, while you rooted for your team, Most of the game usually you were on your feet if it was an exciting contest.

I guess my point is, does it REALLY have to cost multiple BILLIONS of dollars to entice a fandom to go to your stadium and watch your team. (SoFi cost FIVE Billion :eek:) Forget about the question of giving hundreds of millions of dollars to Billionaires to fund these projects with public money. Isn't the GAME itself reason enough to spend time and money to see, for example a Pats team??

Think about it. This year 65K plus fans will go to the Foxboro and see a game where they will spend HUNDREDS of dollars to attend between tickets , food, and parking, and a SIGNIFICANT percentage will spend most of their time essentially watching the game on TV. (between the massive replay screens and red seat fans, who watch most of the game munching canapes and remaining indoors watching it on TV....OOH, they piss me off so much!)

OK, I'm all ranted out. I just wanted to start a discussion about, do you REALLY need to sit in luxury in order to watch a game and have fun. When is much too much? Do we really need to burden the public coffers to provide venues that are SO expensive. I read where the Stadium that the Titans finished in 1999 is now "past it's effective life span" A stadium that cost $300MM to build is going to get torn down after about 25 years and replaced with one that will cost between 2-$3Billion. Think about it, Quincy's Veteran Memorial Stadium is 90 freakin' years old and its STILL drawing crowds and entertaining sports fans.

Disclaimer. Last year a friend of mine took me too a playoff game, with his sons, to watch the Celtics in his "luxury box". Was it great to have a waitress take my order for my 3 course dinner (steak tips for me) You bet. Was it convenient when they came back every now and then to offer another beer or snacks (all included btw) And the coolest part of the package was the cool Celtics T-shirt which I STILL wear at the gym. But it was THE GAME that kept me on my feet and what we talked about. Btw, we went to game and came back by Limo, which didn't suck either. ;) Was it an AWESOME experience? Sure it was, especially after they won.

But as cool as it was, it was STILL the game that stood out and when I think about it, I would have been just as entertained if I was up in the nosebleed seats (just hungrier)

What I want to know if Pats fans would be OK with having a more Spartan Stadium that was clean and safe AND more reasonably priced to see the Pats. I know that it would still cost hundreds of millions. But does it HAVE to cost the 2-3 Billion and have so many amenities that the Titans are planning to spend along with close to $800MM from the state?

Last edited:
I was scanning the twitter feed today as saw one hyping a professional rugby game at Quincy's Veteran Memorial Stadium.

It precipitated a lot of memories for me, this beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. The Vet was built as a depression era WPA project in 1938. My first memory of seeing it was in 1961. Since my HS was in the suburban league we played both N.Quincy HS and Quincy HS, so at least once a season we played there. Then After college, the HS team I coached usually played at least one of the Quincy teams. And finally my home games and all our practices were played at the Vet when I played professionally (sort of) in the Atlantic Coast league. So LOTS of memories in that stadium.

Now that you have the background, my point is that THAT stadium is almost 90 years old and STILL operating and hosting games and thousands of fans over those years. Fans that were basically satisfied to have a place to sit and watch a game, be it football rugby or soccer, or any of the other myriads of sports that have been played there.

Do your remember those times? The days when the object of the stadium was to provide a place to WATCH the damned game. It didn't have to have many amenities. Just a place to take a piss and have a drink and something to munch on and a seat or bench to put one's ass, while you rooted for your team, Most of the game usually you were on your feet if it was an exciting contest.

I guess my point is, does it REALLY have to cost multiple BILLIONS of dollars to entice a fandom to go to your stadium and watch your team. (SoFi cost FIVE Billion :eek:) Forget about the question of giving hundreds of millions of dollars to Billionaires to fund these projects with public money. Isn't the GAME itself reason enough to spend time and money to see, for example a Pats team??

Think about it. This year 65K plus fans will go to the Foxboro and see a game where they will spend HUNDREDS of dollars to attend between tickets , food, and parking, and a SIGNIFICANT percentage will spend most of their time essentially watching the game on TV. (between the massive replay screens and red seat fans, who watch most of the game munching canapes and remaining indoors watching it on TV....OOH, they piss me off so much!)

OK, I'm all ranted out. I just wanted to start a discussion about, do you REALLY need to sit in luxury in order to watch a game and have fun. When is much too much? Do we really need to burden the public coffers to provide venues that are SO expensive. I read where the Stadium that the Titans finished in 1999 is now "past it's effective life span" A stadium that cost $300MM to build is going to get torn down after about 25 years and replaced with one that will cost between 2-$3Billion. Think about it, Quincy's Veteran Memorial Stadium is 90 freakin' years old and its STILL drawing crowds and entertaining sports fans.

Disclaimer. Last year a friend of mine took me too a playoff game, with his sons, to watch the Celtics in his "luxury box". Was it great to have a waitress take my order for my 3 course dinner (steak tips for me) You bet. Was it convenient when they came back every now and then to offer another beer or snacks (all included btw) And the coolest part of the package was the cool Celtics T-shirt which I STILL wear at the gym. But it was THE GAME that kept me on my feet and what we talked about. Btw, we went to game and came back by Limo, which didn't suck either. ;) Was it an AWESOME experience? Sure it was, especially after they won.

But as cool as it was, it was STILL the game that stood out and when I think about it, I would have been just as entertained if I was up in the nosebleed seats (just hungrier)

What I want to know if Pats fans would be OK with having a more Spartan Stadium that was clean and safe AND more reasonably priced to see the Pats. I know that it would still cost hundreds of millions. But does it HAVE to cost the 2-3 Billion and have so many amenities that the Titans are planning to spend along with close to $800MM from the state?
You make a mistake in your basic theory... That stadiums / arenas are built for peeps to watch a game... The stadiums are built and designed to generate fantastic revenue streams... they do this by providing luxury spaces, services and experiences to corporations and the elite... they pay exorbitant fees for tickets, luxury boxes, and yes access... they cost so much in order to provide this...

the regular sth or fan going to the game is less important in the big picture... sure, now you get a nice seat vs an aluminum bench and a few extra bathrooms... but thats about it... its more important to sell the luxury boxes than it is to sell a $100 or$200 ticket to Joe D Fan

in other words...fck the little guy who works his azz off and lives a life of work and responsibility...fck him and his kids so your fcking elitist slob douchebags, who could care less who wins or loses, can sip mimosas and eat cracked crab in their "boxes".

I've been to so many different stadiums and the best place to watch a game for me was still the upper deck of the Boston Garden in the first several rows. I know the Garden had a ton of obstructed seats but there is no comparison for watching sports between the Fleet Center (haha) and the old Garden.

You make a mistake in your basic theory... That stadiums / arenas are built for peeps to watch a game... The stadiums are built and designed to generate fantastic revenue streams... they do this by providing luxury spaces, services and experiences to corporations and the elite... they pay exorbitant fees for tickets, luxury boxes, and yes access... they cost so much in order to provide this...

the regular sth or fan going to the game is less important in the big picture... sure, now you get a nice seat vs an aluminum bench and a few extra bathrooms... but thats about it... its more important to sell the luxury boxes than it is to sell a $100 or$200 ticket to Joe D Fan
Good post and spot on.

Stadiums just aren't designed with us (hard-core fans, working class etc) in mind. In any way anymore.

As much as RKK cares about the Pats he cares equally Taylor Swift, Kenny and others are selling out Gillette. It's not so much about working-class losers like me as it is showing him mingle with Meek Mill, Bon Jovi and w/e is in the news cycle. And I'm a Kraft fan. Feels like one of the few left. I firmly believe Jonathan should be in charge as of last week but I'll always appreciate what Kraft did for this team.

It's an expensive ticket, one of the more expensive tickets in the game I believe. It's a great experience but it's an all day event whether you go at 1 or 4. Takes a lot out of you mentally and physically. Personally I like watching football live but really like it on TV. We could get better angles and pov but it's a little better especially always focusing on the trenches. I'm sure others feel different but you'd have to get a great seat to really see them play. On the flip side you have real game speed, a bigger overall pov, see the second/third level more and the experience of being there. I also get to watch other games at home which is huge considering I like football as a whole not just the Pats. No wrong answer I just prefer the options and comfort at my place.
in other words...fck the little guy who works his azz off and lives a life of work and responsibility...fck him and his kids so your fcking elitist slob douchebags, who could care less who wins or loses, can sip mimosas and eat cracked crab in their "boxes".
Greasy jete fans are stuck under a rock (at home) while boxes, decks and lower levels are like n big pharma convention.

Hater…love don’t hate brotha

I get what you’re saying. I may not have been a child of the 60’s (80’s for me) but that’s what I remember coliseums and arenas for. As I got a little older, I remember starting to see more hats and other souvenir pop-ups everywhere. Idk if that’s because they started getting more prevalent in the late 80’s, that I noticed because I was older, or a combination of them both. Even 20 years later in the 80’s, nothing beat a live sporting event. Trying to watch what games you could actually catch on tv sucked in comparison but nowadays? Peop have their own movie theaters in their houses. Their loaded fridges with snacks and beers have no line, are quick to access and it’s a helluvalot cheaper. Owners need to make profits, hardcore fan or not, they got a business to run. If you can make tix cost+ $140 off a guy like me but can make premium tic cost+1500 from some dude who is there for the spectacle and socializing, who would you target? Gone are the days of stadiums filled with diehards that storm the field and rip down the goal posts. It really does suck, but dude….my fridge is loaded and I don’t have to deal with any assholes. Those things and not having to pay for parking (really pisses me off!) is worth it’s weight in gold. To be fair though, it makes watching footage of the good old days so special.

Glad to hear the Celts won the playoff game you attended last year. Those were the days. :(

-Business concern wants to solicit investors for a multi-billion dollar facility for a major sports team and has a solid business case for off-season use? Great. Awesome. Go for it.

-Same business concern wants tax-payer funding/tax breaks? On something with the potential volatility of a sports venue (team tanks, attendance goes down), or poor booking in the off-season (Victory Tour comes to mind)? No, I don't think so.

I'm definitely sympathetic to the idea of having a bit of simplicity in the stadiums. However, I feel like team owners feel like they need to compete with the constantly improving home product. One could definitely debate on the merits of listening to the talking heads during games, but I think the highlight is that TV screens are so much better now than even 15 years ago, homes are bigger, quality furniture is cheaper, and it's pretty easy to either find any ingredient or order just about anything you want to your door.

That's probably looming large in owner's minds. Should it? I'm not so sure. I feel like if you like seeing it in person, you're ok with giving up the "comforts of home" for the raw feeling of feeling the weather, noise, and aura of seeing top athletes on the field, not to mention the tailgating life.

A few questions to think about:
What percentage of fans would go if we brought back the metal bleachers? Probably a lot.

Would it sell out? Probably?

Does making the stadium a cadillac with fuzzy dice guarantee a sellout? No idea.

I feel like the product on the field is still the biggest driver of in-person attendance, but owners seem to disagree.

What I want to know if Pats fans would be OK with having a more Spartan Stadium that was clean and safe AND more reasonably priced to see the Pats.
We could play a game or two at Fenway. And/or Harvard, Alumni or even Nickerson Field.

Nostalgia. Oh yeah. I'm serious.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back