PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Don't Know The Opt Out Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently, players can opt out of the season. I presume that they wouldn't be paid full salary. That certainly wouldn't be fair to those who choose to play.

Obviously, players who have recently had infections, or are at considerable medical risk should be put on a special IR (one with no limits).

However, choosing not to play because they have a family won't cut it with the rest of the players.

I read that contracts toll...and players get 150K.

Don’t have the specifics, but I believe that if you opt out before the season and you are “at risk” you’re paid more; if you’re not “at risk” you’re paid less. Contract tolls. If you opt out after Week 1 and you are on a roster Week 1 and play in the game (or any game) you will get a full season accrual. (Not totally sure on the last point)

What's he "at risk" for?

Of potentially getting COVID and dieing or having lasting damage for the rest of his life because of it ? Or bringing it home with him and infecting anyone in his family who then might be hospitalized because of it ? He has been working at the very frontline as doctor and therefore actually knows how serious the situation is.

Unless you are part of the bottom earners and really need the money there are many more reasons to sit this season out than to play. Gotta think long term. Let the contract toll, live off the opt-out stipend for a year and reevaluate where things stand next year.

Also since you are bringing up risk, here is what falls into the "high risk group":

Over half of all NFL players are high risk.

Death rate of COVID is 2.2%

Death rate of SARS in 2002 was 9.6%

Mortality rates of viruses worldwide | Statista
Beyond the fact that your simplistic percentages don’t nearly paint the true picture of what is going on, those very percentages are dependant on the number of people who did in fact get tested. I don’t think anyone can truly say with certainty how many people contracted the virus...

I also don’t understand why some people are finding any and all ways to discredit the virus’ risks to society. I don’t propose to shutdown the world or abandon all Covid patients on an island, but the fervent denial of what is happening baffles me.

Beyond the fact that your simplistic percentages don’t nearly paint the true picture of what is going on, those very percentages are dependant on the number of people who did in fact get tested. I don’t think anyone can truly say with certainty how many people contracted the virus...

I also don’t understand why some people are finding any and all ways to discredit the virus’ risks to society. I don’t propose to shutdown the world or abandon all Covid patients on an island, but the fervent denial of what is happening baffles me.

The numbers are accurate unlike the false reporting and daily pandemonium spewed out by the media.

Whats also a fact is that over 40% of the deaths occurred in nursing homes.

It is very interesting to me to see what will happen. Not that many MLB players opted out though that agreement is not the same as this one. I can see the argument for just avoiding the risk altogether if you’re a vet since your contract will toll, but these guys will also get tested extremely often and have access to the best possible medical care - much better than most of us. There have been many reports of athletes in the US getting it (Marcus Smart comes to mind) and nothing happened to them that I am aware of. Food for thought.

That said - let’s please keep discussion on that topic considerate. No need to get grossly political. We all have our views, but we should try to stick to what’s related to football.

Death rate of COVID is 2.2%

Death rate of SARS in 2002 was 9.6%

Mortality rates of viruses worldwide | Statista
A smaller slice of a much, much, much larger pie. In 2002-2003 the number of people infected with SARS was less than 10,000. Needless to say we're way, way past that point right now with COVID-19.
Global SARS Outbreak, 2003
How many people contracted SARS worldwide during the 2003 outbreak? How many people died of SARS worldwide?
During November 2002 through July 2003, a total of 8,098 people worldwide became sick with severe acute respiratory syndrome that was accompanied by either pneumonia or respiratory distress syndrome (probable cases), according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Of these, 774 died. By late July 2003, no new cases were being reported, and WHO declared the global outbreak to be over. For more information on the global SARS outbreak of 2003, visit WHO’s SARS websiteExternal.
SARS | Frequently Asked Questions | CDC

2.2% of millions is >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 9.6% of thousands.

It is not. Even. Close.

Perhaps if you distinguish between putting numbers in perspective and ignoring them you would see a lot less people “denying”.
There are rampant reports of overstated death numbers attributed to covid (ie the motorcycle accident victim counted) as well as antibodies being reported as new cases, statistics being reported as wrong, and people saying they were never tested but got informed they were positive.
Pointing out these issues is not denying the virus, but questioning the validity of the statistics. Very, very different thing.

NFL, NFLPA reach agreement on COVID-19 adjustments to CBA

For players who opt out of participating, high-risk candidates will receive a $350,000 stipend and their contract will toll, per Pelissero. Voluntary opt-outs will receive a $150,000 salary advance and their contract will toll as well. Opt-outs are due within seven days of the deal being finalized.

All of the CDC's defined "increased risk" categories -- e.g. moderate-to-severe asthma, sickle cell disease, Type 2 diabetes, etc. -- are covered as "high risk" under the deal, with the exception of high-BMI.

NFL, NFLPA reach agreement on COVID-19 adjustments to CBA

For players who opt out of participating, high-risk candidates will receive a $350,000 stipend and their contract will toll, per Pelissero. Voluntary opt-outs will receive a $150,000 salary advance and their contract will toll as well. Opt-outs are due within seven days of the deal being finalized.

All of the CDC's defined "increased risk" categories -- e.g. moderate-to-severe asthma, sickle cell disease, Type 2 diabetes, etc. -- are covered as "high risk" under the deal, with the exception of high-BMI.

Thank you for that.

So if a player exercises an Opt-Out they do not receive any payment, they receive a "salary advance" which is a 0% interest loan that has to be paid back in 1 year - very different than what I understood.

"High-risk" does not include "high-BMI" which signals, if this clause was agreed, that the players want to play.

If the players agreed to the above, to me that means we will have football in September.

Apparently, players can opt out of the season. I presume that they wouldn't be paid full salary. That certainly wouldn't be fair to those who choose to play.

Obviously, players who have recently had infections, or are at considerable medical risk should be put on a special IR (one with no limits).

However, choosing not to play because they have a family won't cut it with the rest of the players.

Not necessarily true. Tardif has been working on the front lines of this pandemic in probably the single most dangerous setting: a long-term care facility. He's giving up a pile of money this year because he's following his conscience. Similar to Pat Tillman.
His teammates, coaches and players around the league have nothing but respect for him. As they should.

Playing football is a sport full of risk. It is also a sport with a very very short career. Losing a year might not sound like very much to some, but if they average career is 5 years, that is 20% of their career. While opting out may get them a little money and push their pay into next year, what happens if they are cut next training camp. Losing 20% of your life earnings is nothing to take lightly for many of these players.

Add to that, no matter what some of you think, approximately 50% of all deaths are in nursing homes, approximately 35% of the people who get it never know they even had it. Almost no one under 40 dies from this disease unless they are very very unhealthy. The average age of death from the disease is over 80, and the CDC believes the true death rate for all people, is under 1/2 a percent.

You can google it as well as I can, look up how many professional athletes world wide have died from coronavirus, I did this a week ago and found one sumo wrestler. Yes others have gotten it, and some have gotten very sick from it, but this is a disease that attacks the elderly with pre existing conditions. If you are over 60 you should be protecting yourself from it. If you are a 25 year old professional football player you are more likely to die from driving to the stadium.

Playing football is a sport full of risk. It is also a sport with a very very short career. Losing a year might not sound like very much to some, but if they average career is 5 years, that is 20% of their career. While opting out may get them a little money and push their pay into next year, what happens if they are cut next training camp. Losing 20% of your life earnings is nothing to take lightly for many of these players.

Add to that, no matter what some of you think, approximately 50% of all deaths are in nursing homes, approximately 35% of the people who get it never know they even had it. Almost no one under 40 dies from this disease unless they are very very unhealthy. The average age of death from the disease is over 80, and the CDC believes the true death rate for all people, is under 1/2 a percent.

You can google it as well as I can, look up how many professional athletes world wide have died from coronavirus, I did this a week ago and found one sumo wrestler. Yes others have gotten it, and some have gotten very sick from it, but this is a disease that attacks the elderly with pre existing conditions. If you are over 60 you should be protecting yourself from it. If you are a 25 year old professional football player you are more likely to die from driving to the stadium.

Got any statistics on athletes getting the virus not dying but having damage done to their lungs such that they can no longer compete? Nah, didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST