PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 QB's all-tine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a list not long ago and will update it now. First off no one on my list didn't play in the super bowl era. That is too far back with a game that is too different. That being said

#1 Brady
#2 Montana
#3 Staubach
#4 Unitas
#5 Young
#6 Starr
#7 Elway
#8 Brees
#9 Rodgers
#10 Manning

HMs: Marino, Favre, Warner, Aikman, Tarkenton, Kelly, Bradshaw

Old timers: Graham, Baugh, Luckman, Tittle.
Staubach was a great QB, but Unitas was a better QB. Hands down. To not have Favre and Marino in your top 10, makes your list extremely flawed.

Marino sucked in the playoffs and he had plenty of good defenses in his career. You play the game to win.

Thanks for remembering Bobby Layne, one of my favorites. There is no way to set a limit on who to include. Haven't seen Sonny Jurgenson or Bob Waterfield. Starr and Tittle. Moon were mentioned briefly. I hate these kind of exercises.

Tittle was given an honorable mention on one of the early lists. Why I don't know. He doesn't belong anywhere near the top ten. Same for Jurgensen.

I don't remember Waterfield.

For just 4 easy payments of 24.99 plus shipping and handling you can have my top ten QB picks OF ALL TIME! And if you act now you'll receive another 5 picks at no extra cost.

1 - Brady
2 - Graham
3 - Montana
4 - Starr
5 - Unitas
6 - Marino
7 - Elway
8 - Staubach
9 - Bradshaw
10 - Young
11 - Stabler
12 - Aikman
13 - Brees
14 - Rodgers
15 - Favre

I kinda disagree on Unitas. Hear me out. Me saying he is overrated means not #1 (or so) but #7 (or so).

Timing routes were his-and only his since there was no free agency- and he was not dominant during his era.

Yes, being able to throw to Raymond Berry, inventor of timing routes, when you knew he'd be open for a second on his break is like having a WWII era rifle while everyone else has muskets.

Granted the era was more RB friendly, but the Colts should have been at least the Air Coryell Chargers of their era. Instead we get Bart Starr doing a Brady to his Peyton.

Again, this is NOT saying "He sucked." It is saying he is four or five slots lower than you think.

Disagree on Unitas, he invented the position of the MODERN QB, in much the same way Paul Brown invented modern coaching in football or Cousy invented the modern point guard position in BB.

Unitas had a couple of weapons in Berry and one of the first TE weapons John Mackey (Ditka was the other), but by the 60's their D had fallen off and Weeb Eubank had left. I would put Unitas in the top 4 of any list. He had the misfortune of playing against the Packers of Lombardi and only 1 playoff spot from that Division. The Packers were loaded with HoF defenders as well as a group of HoF players on O.

I think a lot less of Elway and Brees than most I guess.

When I do this, I think QBs need to have a combination of three things:
Longevity (so, sorry Otto Graham)
Winning, both post season and regular season
An establish legacy of being one of the best in the league during their time.

1. Brady
2. Montana - I think the big thing separating he and Brady is longevity. I can hear the argument Montana was better than Brady on a per play basis. At this point Brady has 3000 more regular season pass attempts. I don't know how many post season but I'm sure that's at the very least several hundred.
3. Manning -- Look, if we're putting at Brady at 1, and he should be there, part of the question you need to ask is how much better would Manning have looked if Brady weren't his peer. Manning very likely wins at least one more superbowl, but I think you can argue the Colts are the favorite in 2003 2004 and 2007. His body of work and consistent excellence puts him at 3 easily for me. This doesn't take away from Brady.

I think there's a rather large drop off here for one reason or another.

4. Staubach -- I'm going to be a hypocrite and not hold his short career against him because of his service time. While he was in the Cowboys were among the best teams in the league, despite only starting 14 games before his 31st birthday.
5. Unitas -- I get why people put Unitas as high as they do. To play devils advocate, he was pretty cooked by the time he was 34.
6. Young -- He's higher if not for the injuries. Arguably the highest peak of any quarterback. Still, despite winning in 94 kind of has the Manning / Alex Rodriguez look of coming up short to inferior teams in the playoffs.
7. Favre -- yea I did it. Favre was inconsistent, but won, played forever, and had a lot more highs than lows. I think its like a reverse recency bias for people that knock him out of the top 10. He was an above average player for a loooong time, and great in the 90s (and that one Vikings year).
8. Tarkenton -- I don't know he doesn't appear on these aside from the Giants and Vikings were kind of ****ty for a while. Basically Steve Young before Steve Young.
9. Marino -- Ok, he needs to be top 10. But I don't have him as high as others because I think his work after the mid 80s is grossly overrated. Marino was legitimately great until 86 or 87 or so. But was just pretty good in a really lousy conference for the rest of his career. His playoff stats are pretty embarassing really. While I could hear the argument for his 1984 season being the best ever, I think after that Marino is just very good.
10. Starr -- His only real knock is that he was on a loaded team and played a short career.

I personally would not have Elway or Brees above any of these guys, and would probably put another 5 or so guys before I considered Elway. Elway's rating adjusted for era is 61st all time for guys with 100 games. He's below, among others, Terry Bradshaw, Matt Schaub, Mark Brunell, and Bernie Kosar. This isn't the end all stat but Elway was in a weak conference, won 0 all pros, and really has nothing else that solidifies him as elite historical aside from the narrative.

I would put Aaron Rodgers on here pretty soon.

Brees just loses too much for me. He's basically this generations Fouts. He rarely makes the playoffs and has some incredible losses upon getting there. He has inflated stats from the worst division in sports, and playing in a dome. Brees is good. Really good. Brees is not in the company of these others guys.
One reason Unitas was cooked was he got the crap beat out of him every week. That was when football was football, not pattycake. I don't think anyone could hit a wr between the cb and safety in stride any better than Johnny U. He called his own plays, their was no green dot. The game was so different then, that's why its a fruitless exercise to develop a list. Most of you never saw any old time QB's or even know the differences in the game. I don't know what the division should be but maybe:
1. pre WWII
2. 46-80
3. 81-99
4. 99- present.

Tittle was given an honorable mention on one of the early lists. Why I don't know. He doesn't belong anywhere near the top ten. Same for Jurgensen.

I don't remember Waterfield.
I forgot Norm Van Brocklin

Staubach was a great QB, but Unitas was a better QB. Hands down. To not have Favre and Marino in your top 10, makes your list extremely flawed.

If you think Unitas should be over Staubach that is fair. They are really close IMO so i won't argue much if you disagree (though i strongly side with Staubach). I more strongly disagree with your point on Favre/Marino though. Who do you think should be taken off my list for them? Pick 2 you think for sure they are over and then I would have a chance to discuss why not.

Last edited:
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Brees

Montana
Young
Bradshaw

Warner
Favre
Marino
Elway

Unitas
Staubach
Starr
Graham

I guess this would be the consensus top 15.

One reason Unitas was cooked was he got the crap beat out of him every week. That was when football was football, not pattycake. I don't think anyone could hit a wr between the cb and safety in stride any better than Johnny U. He called his own plays, their was no green dot. The game was so different then, that's why its a fruitless exercise to develop a list. Most of you never saw any old time QB's or even know the differences in the game. I don't know what the division should be but maybe:
1. pre WWII
2. 46-80
3. 81-99
4. 99- present.

Just make the breaking point the SB era. Unitas and Starr get hosed, but you can asterisk them at the bottom of any list (i.e. *Note: I don't include Unitas or Starr on this list because most of their careers happened before the start of the SB era). If you do that, you open up the field, starting at #5:

1. Brady
  2. Montana
  3. Staubach
  4. Young
  5. etc...
That still allows for respecting the greatness of the pioneers (Starr, Baugh, Unitas, Graham, etc...) in the "Pre-SB era' group, and eases the problems of lack of film and context.

Marino sucked in the playoffs and he had plenty of good defenses in his career. You play the game to win.
I disagree, He never really had great defenses, and he never had a great RB or WR. He MADE Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. Just like Brady makes receivers better receivers than they were before (Welker, Hogan, Amendola), and guys like Troy Brown and Deion Branch (who was rated as a 7th round pick) became good because of Brady's greatness. Marino definitely is a top 10 QB ever. Can't blame him for the teams he was on. Dan Fouts also is another great QB who never won a SB, but it wasn't his fault.

I disagree, He never really had great defenses, and he never had a great RB or WR. He MADE Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. Just like Brady makes receivers better receivers than they were before (Welker, Hogan, Amendola), and guys like Troy Brown and Deion Branch (who was rated as a 7th round pick) became good because of Brady's greatness. Marino definitely is a top 10 QB ever. Can't blame him for the teams he was on. Dan Fouts also is another great QB who never won a SB, but it wasn't his fault.
You can look his defenses up. He had several top 10 and #1 in 1998.

I think Deus has it right, for the pre-Super Bowl era, very few if any of us here are old enough to have a proper basis for comparing. What little video there is on Baugh, Luckman, Waterfield, Van Brocklin, Graham, Layne, and Tittle is far too arbitrary for us to use, and raw statistics is just as difficult for those guys given how different not just the game was but all of life was. For me, Starr and Unitas are also difficult to compare to guys from say 1970 to the present because I am not old enough to have really seen them play in their primes and again the amount of objective alternative evidence I am able to access doesn't give me enough to form a good judgment.

So my list includes QBs from 1970 to today, none from before then, is based purely on my own sense of excellence based on direct observation, and is as follows:

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Elway
4. Staubach
5. Bradshaw
6. Marino
7. Favre
8. Manning
9. Aikman
10. Moon

HM: Young, Tarkenton, Stabler, Roethlisberger, McNair, Fouts, Eli, Brees, Rodgers

I have had Roger Staubach as my 3rd best QB of all time for years and realized I never gave the a good break down of why I do and why you should have him #3 all time as well (behind only Brady/Montana as far as modern NFL QBs). Let me tell you why you should rate him #3.

#1 He wins. You play to win the game. Everything else is just noise. Of course in winning the game it is all about how much of that is the QB and how much is other things but there is a reason why QB wins and losses are kept. They have enough control over to be given blame or credit for it consistently. Staubach wins and wins at a high level. The only QB besides Brady i know of who played many years and never had a losing or .500 season. The worse he ever did was 8-6. That is absolutely sick. Brady has a .779 winning percentage. The best ever for a QB who played over 100 games. Staubach is #2 and well ahead of Montana at .746 (Montana is .713).

#2 Numbers. The first stat the jumps out is the 83.4 QB rating... and he did it in the 70s. That is like a career 105 QB rating in today's game. It is true Staubach didn't have a lack of offensive talent on his team but there was a pretty good amount of movement with the roster and he did it with a number of different guys. This shows at the least he wasn't made by any single all time players.

#3 Post season. Post season is the great equalizer and it puts great players against other great players in a high pressure situation. No more beating up on easy competition and certainly Rodgers didn't lack for competition. He played in the most stacked era in the NFL. By this I mean teams like GB and the 49ers and Dallas of the 90s though great dynasties got to do it in an era without too many other great teams. The 70s featured many of the greatest teams of all time and juggernauts that were in the mix every year. Staubach in this time made 4 super bowl appearances and won 2. He went 12-6 (in games started) and a respectable 76 QB rating for the time in the playoffs. He had 2 particularly bad games (73, 76) which he both lost but besides those 2 games he was very solid in the playoffs on the whole). His 2 Super Bowl loses came in almost comebacks to the Steelers.

#4 He started late. We never got to actually see him in his prime. His 2 first near full seasons were at 29, and 31 (got injured when 30). Considering how late he started and medicine then not being what it is now what he accomplished was amazing. The only similar case is Steve Young who was 30 before he really got his shot. When you stack their careers side by side It is not even close. If we wonder with Young what could have been that goes doubly for Staubach.

So overall I don't see how people can put anyone else as #3. To me he has no question marks. Playoff performer, gaudy stats, winner, eye ball test and even not getting to fulfill all his potential he accomplished so much.

would probably put another 5 or so guys before I considered Elway. Elway's rating adjusted for era is 61st all time for guys with 100 games. He's below, among others, Terry Bradshaw, Matt Schaub, Mark Brunell, and Bernie Kosar. This isn't the end all stat but Elway was in a weak conference, won 0 all pros, and really has nothing else that solidifies him as elite historical aside from the narrative.
I would like to hear your correct analysis published everywhere and announced in capital letters on every major network and fed on a running sidebar on BSPN forever.

Now, to have a similarly accurate description of Bledsoe endlessly streamed on the Pats' website, along with descriptions of other Pats QB's exploits to educate those brainwashed by Kraft...

Having Brees above Manning is laughable to me and makes you look like an irrational homer who refuse to accept Peyton Manning had a good career because people compared him to Brady.

If you have Drew Brees above Peyton Manning i seriously question if you really know what you're watching.

Well, I did watch Brees complete over 80 percent of his passes and kick Manning's ass in the SB. He's got a career playoff rating over 100 and has a 24-6 TD to INT ration.

They were 2nd in PPG this past season and 31st in points allowed. You want to talk about someone with a garbage defense, look at him.

2014 Saints: 9th in PPG, 28th in points allowed
2015 Saints: 8th in PPG, LAST in points allowed

See a trend here? Hell, even in 2009, they were 1st in PPG, but only 20th in points allowed.

Meanwhile, Poopy Pants Peyton gets the 8th, 7th, 1st, and 2nd ranked scoring D's during his prime years and falls flat on his face every time. The two times he wins the championship, he throws 3 TD's and 7 INT's, and then his corpse closes out its illustrious career with a 55 SB rating.

Hell, he threw 3 touchdowns and 5 interceptions in the SB alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe