PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Title change: PFT: The NFL salary cap has been set at $177.2 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
a Gronk family reality show

a Gronk sports products company

lots of endorsements, including as spokesmen

I believe that a good agent could make more than $10M for him outside of football

He could even be paid for appearances at various business events

a Gronk family reality show

a Gronk sports products company

lots of endorsements, including as spokesmen

I believe that a good agent could make more than $10M for him outside of football

He could even be paid for appearances
And what would prevent him from doing this now, with almost 6 months of free time outside of OTAs and an early June mini camp? He’s got the ways and means to make his money work for him in any number of ways, including companies, commercials, endorsements, etc.

As far as a Gronk family reality show, who the hell outside of N.England would care about his dad and 3 brothers? I think that would be a very short-lived reality series that would get old pretty quickly, likely after 1-2 seasons.

He's a cultural icon now, and would only need to have a few parts in movies and TV series to easily make what he'll make in another year of football.

No

Gronk's got $9m coming to him from the Patriots this year. He's not getting that from a few bit parts in Hollywood.

Last edited:
He's a cultural icon now

He is, but that does not translate to Hollywood success. Shaquille O'Neal was at least as big of an icon as Gronk is, and his movie career never got going. Hulk Hogan never found success despite lots of attempts.

The Rock is an outlier.

The proliferation of Super Hero movies means Gronk has a shot to do a cameo but unless there's a famous Polish superhero I'm not aware of I don't think he'll walk into a bunch of movies.

The type of parts he'll get were similar to the parts Bill Goldberg got - tiny little bits here and there and maybe a mini boss fight before the main one.

speaking of famous Polacks....

why did the polack cross the road?
he couldn't get his d!ck out of the chicken's arse...:eek::eek:

If money is the issue you could bump Gronk up about 1.5 million to make him the highest paid TE in the NFL(which feeds the ego).. currently he is between $1 and $1.5 million behind Graham(TE??), Kelce and Vernon Reed...

IMO money well spent, particularly as now he has subscribed to the "pliable way" of doing things.

The proliferation of Super Hero movies means Gronk has a shot to do a cameo but unless there's a famous Polish superhero I'm not aware of I don't think he'll walk into a bunch of movies.

You are telling me you dont know about the exciting adventures of Captain Kielbasa ? Jesus..

If money is the issue you could bump Gronk up about 1.5 million to make him the highest paid TE in the NFL(which feeds the ego).. currently he is between $1 and $1.5 million behind Graham(TE??), Kelce and Vernon Reed...

IMO money well spent, particularly as now he has subscribed to the "pliable way" of doing things.

Put it into realistic incentives like this year and done. If he gets injured along the way you dont pay more and if he reaches them it usually means that you have a great shot at a deep offseason run. Not much to lose..

Gronk either wants to play or he doesn’t, that’s his call. I wouldn’t start trying to placate him by renegotiating his deal. It sounds like he is starting to check out mentally and that usually indicates the end is near. If he makes it to the end of his deal I’ll be happy, in the meantime they have to start planning for life without him, and that will mean making changes offensively. It may be time to use a high pick at RB,

Gronk either wants to play or he doesn’t, that’s his call. I wouldn’t start trying to placate him by renegotiating his deal. It sounds like he is starting to check out mentally and that usually indicates the end is near. If he makes it to the end of his deal I’ll be happy, in the meantime they have to start planning for life without him, and that will mean making changes offensively. It may be time to use a high pick at RB,

I agree with the gist of what you are saying. You mentioning that he seems to check out mentally just made me think whether we got any other indicator about retirement from him except that post game interview ? It seems like in the mean time many here have taken that wording to the extreme and are 3 steps farther than he ever was.. publicly.

Did I miss another iview where this got reinforced ?

I agree with the gist of what you are saying. You mentioning that he seems to check out mentally just made me think whether we got any other indicator about retirement from him except that post game interview ? It seems like in the mean time many here have taken that wording to the extreme and are 3 steps farther than he ever was.. publicly.

Did I miss another iview where this got reinforced ?

Not that I know of. The tweet was cryptic though, and I get the sense he’s playing some head games with the team. Imo football requires total commitment, and if Gronk wants to move on with his life he has every right to do so,. He should, however, be upfront with the Patriots about his intentions.

Not that I know of. The tweet was cryptic though, and I get the sense he’s playing some head games with the team. Imo football requires total commitment, and if Gronk wants to move on with his life he has every right to do so,. He should, however, be upfront with the Patriots about his intentions.

Like I said.. I agree with your take. Given how pessimistic some voices sound I was sincerely just curious if I maybe missed another point where Gronk said anything.

How do you know he hasn't? This organization is notorious for not telling us anything. If he retires, there will be a press conference. If he doesn't, then he should show up for OTAs. Until then, like the MB mega thread, everything is conjecture.

Gronk's main attraction marketing-wise is that he's currently the best TE in football. I think his brand loses a lot of steam if he retires, personally.

This prevailing idea that the Patriots should or will give more money to a player with multiple years left on a deal who has already mulled retirement needs to stop.

Gronk has many of millions of dollars left on the table and he is at least playing one more year. Unless he's committing long term I don't see why his contract would be a priority.

I always try to avoid, whenever humanly possible, openly discrediting another post on a forum because it doesn’t really benefit anyone. That said, this is a phenomenally, unspeakably dumb thought. “We’re not gonna let some prima donna player who’s still under contract dictate to us because then they’ll all want to do it.” A) It already happens every year, all across the league. B) This is not some scrub; this is the best tight end in the history of the game, by a wide margin. C) This is not taking place on a team in rebuilding mode where it matters not whether we lose this particular player at this juncture. We have the best quarterback in the history of the game, against all logic, still playing at his very best, but he won’t be playing at that level for much longer, and losing his best weapon, without doing everything humanly possible short of having to lose half the roster to keep said weapon, would be easily the worst decision the organization has made since that quarterback took over in 2001.

For the same reason they should not spend an early draft pick on a quarterback this year, they should do everything possible to keep Gronk another year. They went all in last year in free agency; Cooks panned out while most of the other acquisitions did not; but the mindset of doing everything possible to make the most of Brady while he’s still in his prime was correct, and they should still have that mindset, in my opinion, for one more year.

I always try to avoid, whenever humanly possible, openly discrediting another post on a forum because it doesn’t really benefit anyone. That said, this is a phenomenally, unspeakably dumb thought. “We’re not gonna let some prima donna player who’s still under contract dictate to us because then they’ll all want to do it.” A) It already happens every year, all across the league. B) This is not some scrub; this is the best tight end in the history of the game, by a wide margin. C) This is not taking place on a team in rebuilding mode where it matters not whether we lose this particular player at this juncture. We have the best quarterback in the history of the game, against all logic, still playing at his very best, but he won’t be playing at that level for much longer, and losing his best weapon, without doing everything humanly possible short of having to lose half the roster to keep said weapon, would be easily the worst decision the organization has made since that quarterback took over in 2001.

For the same reason they should not spend an early draft pick on a quarterback this year, they should do everything possible to keep Gronk another year. They went all in last year in free agency; Cooks panned out while most of the other acquisitions did not; but the mindset of doing everything possible to make the most of Brady while he’s still in his prime was correct, and they should still have that mindset, in my opinion, for one more year.

Screenshot_20180226-115117.png
pkbw49

pkbw49

Last edited:
We have two of best players in the league, the best at their positions, and in the top at their positions for the history of the NFL.

If either want a bit more money because they want bragging rights, then I suppose that we'll give it to them. The cap would take place n 2020 or later.

The issue is whether this is what motivates Gronk.

We all hope that another year with the boys/men is enough: Belichick, Scar, Josh, Judge, Brady, Edelman, and Amendola. Let's be real. Any of these could be gone at any time. This is magic that is being extended one year at a time.

As soon as he knows himself what his intentions are. His timetable for figuring this out has nothing to do with our timetable or the team's timetable.

As pointed out above, the lack of transparency into anything real, for us, is just about complete.

How do you know he hasn't? This organization is notorious for not telling us anything. If he retires, there will be a press conference. If he doesn't, then he should show up for OTAs. Until then, like the MB mega thread, everything is conjecture.

I never claimed he wasn’t being upfront with the franchise, I simply said he should be. Imo Gronk has earned the right to do whatever he wants, he doesn’t owe any if us anything. He is, however, part of a team and an organization, and if he did leave them hanging he would be screwing his friends and teammates. If he’s undecided then tell them that, if he wants more money or a trade if they won’t pay it then tell them that, and if he wants to retire then tell them that. That’s all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe