PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The worst crowd in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tunescribe said:
I don't know what section DividedSky was in, but in 227 where I was, everyone was up and yelling when Indy was in the red zone. All he has to do is tell those behind him to stuff it if he wants to stand and yell WHEN IT IS APPROPRIATE TO DO SO, which is when the other team has the ball. I have to think that the fans he's referring to are in a very small minority. I maintain that it definitely IS stadium design that has mitigated crowd noise, and spell it out in detail in another thread posted today. Check it out.
Tunescribe....you know me and you know my drunk ***** will yell all night. But I've been in my nosebleeds for 3 years now and it has been relatively silent those 3 years. I don't buy into this "red seat" silence thing that everyone is saying. In my eyes, it is a matter of complacency. I've been to a game in Seattle vs. a division rival (the 49ers) and Seattle's fans were on their feet and yelling the entire game. This doesn't happen here. We've developed a sense of entitlement much like Yankees fans have. Normally, any Colts game, you can expect everyone to be yelling our ***e$ off. Not this past game. It took a Sprint commercial to make us start yelling. Gillette Stadium is horrible as far as crowd noise goes and it's all about the people in the seats and not the acoustics of the stadium.

As a long time season ticket holder I like crowd noise as much as the next guy, and have been frustrated by the crowd at times. I think it's blend of my things the corporate factor is one as well as complacency I see many diff faces frome game to game in the lower level seats. The crowd has changed from the old stadium to the new one no doubt in my mind, but the idea that if the crowd had a spark mybe the team would as well thats just silly, its a minor miracle the pats win any road games.

AStack75 said:
Tunescribe....you know me and you know my drunk ***** will yell all night. But I've been in my nosebleeds for 3 years now and it has been relatively silent those 3 years. I don't buy into this "red seat" silence thing that everyone is saying. In my eyes, it is a matter of complacency. I've been to a game in Seattle vs. a division rival (the 49ers) and Seattle's fans were on their feet and yelling the entire game. This doesn't happen here. We've developed a sense of entitlement much like Yankees fans have. Normally, any Colts game, you can expect everyone to be yelling our ***e$ off. Not this past game. It took a Sprint commercial to make us start yelling. Gillette Stadium is horrible as far as crowd noise goes and it's all about the people in the seats and not the acoustics of the stadium.

I think that if a fan feels separated from the action he/she is less motivated to get involved. That would seem to explain the people in my section standing up and yelling when Indy had the ball and folks in the nosebleeds sitting on their hands. You have to admit that the nosebleeds in places like Giants Stadium are much closer to the field than at Gillette. Below is my post from the other thread re., Gillette's acoustics and the stands' proximity to the field. Fan attitude might be a minor factor, but I think it has much more to do with the building.

I'm a Patriots season ticket holder of 13 years and have been to other NFL stadiums where it gets so loud you have to cover your ears. I can say unequivocally that Gillette, unfortunately, was NOT PROPERLY DESIGNED to contain crowd noise. This was a fundamental oversight by the Krafts when they built the place. Fans in the 300 level are essentially taken out of the game because they're so far from the field and separated from the second deck by two levels of luxury suites/club seating. For them it's like shouting into a void. Add the open-ended north end zone, the open-view concourses and "skylight" areas between the red club seating and the 200-level mezzanine, and you have a unique situation where noise "evaporates." Also, there is no second tier above the end zones to help hold sound in. You have a HUGE gulf between 100-level sideline seats and the 300-level sideline seats WHEN THE RED CLUB SEATS ARE NOT FILLED, which often occurs especially during cold-weather games and the second half of most games. So, most of the sound must come from the lower bowl and the mezzanine corners. I'd say that's rouughly about 60-65 percent stadium capacity. It's a pretty building designed for multiple uses and -- let's face it -- a seriously flawed football stadium. My biggest gripe is the design accommodation for soccer, which resulted in too much space between the football field and the stands.

OK, so what can be done about this? Well, with a 50,000-person waiting list, perhaps the Krafts can make a bold move and fill in some of the "gaps" by adding more seats, especially in the north end zone and the unnecessary skylight gaps. Perhaps they also can do something about motivating club seat people to actually sit in their seats and watch the freakin' game. Beyond that, I don't know what else is possible. Barring some sort of radical reconstruction option that would relocate the luxury suites, those in the 300 level will forever feel marooned in the stratosphere and separated from the rest of the action. THAT is the largest component of missing crowd noise.

From the start, I was a proponent of PSLs, which ultimately would have kept ticket prices down after the initial PSL fee outlay. This would have given PSL holders a valuable asset that appreciates over time, better than money in the bank. It also would have allowed them to re-sell their tickets anytime to anyone, and possibly would have enabled some of the more passionate fans of lesser means to attend games.

Tunescribe said:
It's stadium design, pure and simple.

The Patriots fans have lost "it." Pure and simple. Hopefully the Pats will make the playoff's and things will change....but I've been to plenty of games the past two years. Fans are "different," or is that "indifferent?" They sit on their hands all day and just talk amongst themselves. I can't stand it. A big defensive stand comes up - I'm pleading with people to stand - most do not. Most are idiots. It makes me pretty sick, actually. Complacent? Maybe? Spoiled? Probably. This was NOT an issue in 2001 (old stadium), nor was it a real issue in 2002 or 2003. The last three years it's become a REAL issue.

People say I'm nuts when I say I miss that old aluminum junkbox, Foxboro Stadium, but I really do. It was loud and proud. Gillette? Not so much.

Last edited:
Garbanza said:
People say I'm nuts when I say I miss that old aluminum junkbox, Foxboro Stadium, but I really do. It was loud and proud. Gillette? Not so much.

Amen, Garb. I'm with you on that. Those aluminum benches we good for making noise on, too. Not only that, but in the cold months with an extra layer of clothes on I've got to wedge myself in the new seats and need to remove my cell phone to do it. Sure it was a dump, but I never minded it and do miss the atmosphere, such that it was.

patsgo said:
dont blame the crowd its the footballthat makes the crowd

Yup because the team would never need a boost from the crowd. I got it the crowd needs the boost from the team.

If that excuse makes you feel better, more power to you.

I dont think the stadium design has anything to do with the crowd noise. I agreed with most of the replys, but the stadium design to me has nothng to do with it. To watch colvin and other patriots players waving there arms in the air to get the crowd up, and the fans to sit there and do nothing to me is embarrising. In other stadiums if a player is waving his arms in the air for noise, the crowd goes crazy, and thats why i made the "spark" coment.

frankiesfly said:
I dont think the stadium design has anything to do with the crowd noise. I agreed with most of the replys, but the stadium design to me has nothng to do with it. To watch colvin and other patriots players waving there arms in the air to get the crowd up, and the fans to sit there and do nothing to me is embarrising. In other stadiums if a player is waving his arms in the air for noise, the crowd goes crazy, and thats why i made the "spark" coment.

If you believe stadium design has nothing to do with crowd noise, you're either too drunk to notice or have never been to another stadium.

Tune is dead on right about the stadium design.
* Energetic 3rd tier too far away and 'blocked' by the red seats
* Red seat corporate crowd MIA during bad weather
* Open ended stadium lets noise out rather than reflecting the energy
* My personal observation from the 100s: too many corporate suckup visitors of the day occupying seats. These folks feel it unseemly to shout.

Me, I'll be sitting in section 110 row 1, right behind the Pats D during the Jets game

CTPatsFan said:
Amen, Garb. I'm with you on that. Those aluminum benches we good for making noise on, too. Not only that, but in the cold months with an extra layer of clothes on I've got to wedge myself in the new seats and need to remove my cell phone to do it. Sure it was a dump, but I never minded it and do miss the atmosphere, such that it was.

Yeah - I miss those old days of Foxboro Stadium, why that 12th man was so freaking awesome we always won and look at all those Championship banners from way back in our old noisy stadium. And all those games that were sold out too. Yeah, it was swell back then.

Please......in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. I'll take Gillette and my seats in sec 134 anyday.

Tunescribe said:
It's stadium design, pure and simple.

Amen brother!! And unlike a lot of you I was saying that before and during the time they were building the Razor.

It was and is too small. Smaller than any park in the AFCE! And a couple of those AFCE bigger parks are discussing being razed and replaced with even bigger ones!

There is no provision for a fan's fan section similar to the old Cleveland Dog Pound. The chairs are just too comfy!

The stadium is "airy". That means it doesn't hold the sound, at all.

Solution: close in one end and install some benches and "cheap seats" for the fans who will go and raise the noise level. This will increase revenues, attendance, shrink the waiting llist a little, and add some spice to going to the game. Owners used to worry that fans won't buy in the poorer years. Once season ticket sellouts happen however, fans don't dare give them up, good year or bad. The Patriots are in that situation now.

DividedSky said:
. I was yelled at to sit down 3 times on Sunday night. This was while the Colts were in the red zone!!!!!!!
Can somebody explain that to me? Why do you go to the game if you are just going to be quiet and sit on your ass and complain about th cold? I doubt that happens in KC, Pitt, Cleveland, etc....
They're called pseudo fans, we have a lot of them in Jacksonville who magically became fans after the Jags beat the Steelers and akwardly disapeared after the Jags lost to the Texans. Just standing there and having people complan is one thing, but when the other team is driving and your standing on your feet screaming that's one thing.

Hmmm... worst crowd I'd say Detroit, I mean c'mon they cheer for the other team.
But with Nate Millen I almost don't blame them..........they have a new logo planned
detroit-cats-jm.gif

I was at the Colts game(my only home game this year) in section 137, row25, seat 18 and people where I was stood for every play all game. They were also quite loud, but it's hard to know how loud the rest of the stadium is. In the old stadium, people were packed so tight in such a much smaller area that the noise was always louder there. I always laughed when a fat guy would be walking up the aisle and people would say, "hope he isn't in our row" -:) The design, IMO is the biggest factor plus the wine and cheese crowd in the club/luxury seats and the upper deck is reall so far away from the field.

I do think that the problem is that the stadium is so wide open plus the wine and brie crowd that hangs out inside the club section if the weather is not perfect. Most of the real (not corporate) fans are as good if not better than any others in the country.

iF ITS THE STADIUM DESIGN THAT CAUSES THE CROWD TO SOUND QUIET AT TIMES, THEN WHY WAS THE CROWD LOUD AND GOT QUIETER THE PAST COUPLE SEASONS. IT WOULD OF NEVER BEEN LOUD. I DONT KNOW WHO WROTE IT, BUT I READ IT, THAT THE PATS FANS COULD BE SPOILED WITH ALL THE CHAMPIONSHIPS, AND THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BIG POSSIBILTY.

Most fans have never attended a game as a business "guest".

Please consider what is actually taking place. You get an invite to another Company's box. You have to have proper decorum or you can damage the relationship between your firm and the invitees. So no extravagant anything. No loud cheering, booing, drinking, joking et cetera.

Now reverse the situation. Your firm has invited another businesses representative to sit in your firm's box. You can't be a showoff and jeopardize the companies name or the business relationship by being too exuberant. No excessive cheering, booing, drinking yada, yada, Yada. If it is your company's box this is probably an unusual invitation for you as well, in front of the big bosses. You can damage your career if you come off as an oaf or boor. Better to be reserved and polite and even bite your tongue rather than relaxing.

Next time you ***** about the corporate types please put yourselves in to their shoes, first...

The only ones who can relax in the company boxes are the owners by themselves, or when the box is empty without guests, or big bosses present if you are just a regular employee...

AzPatsFan said:
Most fans have never attended a game as a business "guest".

Please consider what is actually taking place. You get an invite to another Company's box. You have to have proper decorum or you can damage the relationship between your firm and the invitees. So no extravagant anything. No loud cheering, booing, drinking, joking et cetera.

Now reverse the situation. Your firm has invited another businesses representative to sit in your firm's box. You can't be a showoff and jeopardize the companies name or the business relationship by being too exuberant. No excessive cheering, booing, drinking yada, yada, Yada. If it is your company's box this is probably an unusual invitation for you as well, in front of the big bosses. You can damage your career if you come off as an oaf or boor. Better to be reserved and polite and even bite your tongue rather than relaxing.

Next time you ***** about the corporate types please put yourselves in to their shoes, first...

The only ones who can relax in the company boxes are the owners by themselves, or when the box is empty without guests, or big bosses present if you are just a regular employee...

It seems that you are confusing luxury boxes with club seating. Club seat holders commune in a big indoor lounge area behind the premium "red" seats, where they can go outside to watch the game if they choose to. About half the time, they're not in their seats but inside keeping warm, watching the game on TV, or eating and drinking. My assumption is that these seats are held by corporations, and tickets are given away as perks to clients, employees, etc. In other words, non-diehard fans. These are sideline mid-level seats, the best seats in the stadium. I think the Krafts made a mistake in concentrating these seats in a key area instead of spreading them in a narrower band around the stadium. The luxury boxes, on the other hand, are behind glass and have no outside seating so those people are not a factor in the noise level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes