PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The exchange between Blakeman, Slater:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a high school referee for which I know it is different in the NFL but I wanted to try and clarify some things that may be confusing people.

The opening coin toss of the game there are 4 options:

Kick - You elect to kickoff which obviously means that the other team will receive and they get to choose which direction they want to go. The other team will also get the option in the 2nd half and will receive both halves if you choose this option.

Receive - You elect to receive the ball.

Defer - You are deferring your option to the second half for which you can kick or receive to start the 2nd half but obviously you will receive.

Defend - You can choose which end to defend but that is your option so the other team will receive ball both halves.

In OT you have 3 options:

Kick - Your option is to kick meaning the other team will receive based on your option and then their option is which end they want to defend.

Receive - You receive the ball.

Defend - You select which end you want to defend and then the other team gets the decision of receive or kick. This is what Slater should've done if they were playing the wind.

Now in answer to why Blakeman asked Slater do you want to kick wasn't to coax him into a decision at least we hope. As officials we always ask both head coaches at the beginning of the game and before OT (if it gets to this point) what is your option if you win the toss. That is why I believe Blakeman asked him because the Pats had already informed him that they wanted to kick if they won the toss.
Absolutely. And, if kids and coaches at the HS level are expected to understand this, guys at the Professional level can reasonably be expected to "get" it as well. Please see my long post above. Under Rule 4-2-2, Slater exercised his team's right to "kick" rather than "receive." Belichick has now said that that is what he instructed him to do.

Belichick should have instructed him to state the goal they would defend instead of saying "kick." That gave the Jets the best of both worlds, they got the ball and they got to choose the goal they would defend. So, if there was a brain fart here, it was on Belichick...UNLESS he is taking the heat to protect Slater, which is possible.

That's not what BB has said. Maybe he's just covering for his guy, but in his presser he said that he instructed Slater to choose to "kick."

So why did Slater mention the word "recieve" when he was talking with the ref at the end? He thought they lost the coin toss, he knew the Jets would recieve. So he was simply saying they would kickoff in that direction, after he saw the coin on the ground, which was tails by the way.

When he realized what was happening he tried to get the ball back into Brady's hand and that was the "confusion." They didn't want to kickoff the ball because the D was obviously gassed and the weather wasn't even a factor. Anybody believing that theory is in denial.

So why did Slater mention the word "recieve" when he was talking with the ref at the end? He thought they lost the coin toss, he knew the Jets would recieve. So he was simply saying they would kickoff in that direction, after he saw the coin on the ground, which was tails by the way.

When he realized what was happening he tried to get the ball back into Brady's hand and that was the "confusion." They didn't want to kickoff the ball because the D was obviously gassed and the weather wasn't even a factor. Anybody believing that theory is in denial.
Well, I guess there are lots of ways to look at the same set of facts.
Slater says he wants to "kick."
Belichick says he told Slater to say they wanted to "kick."
The rules are straightforward. You say "kick", "receive" or "Defend this or that Goal."
Once Slater said Kick, the referee turned to the Jets. Slater's job was done.
Anything else he says is irrelevant. There are no "do-overs" like in the playground.

There's no 'do-overs', but the problem started with the ref asking a 'yes or no' question 'do you want to kick' instead of 'what do you want' as there's 4 different choices.

There's no 'do-overs', but the problem started with the ref asking a 'yes or no' question 'do you want to kick' instead of 'what do you want' as there's 4 different choices.
I don't see that as a problem. Slater was told to say they wanted to "Kick." In fact, one could make the opposite argument and suggest that there would have been a "problem" if the official had said "do you want to receive" and Slater got confused and went against Belichick's instructions.

Now, maybe Belichick is just covering for him, but we can't know that.

It's also possible that the Patriots advised the officials on the sidelines or before the game that they would be kicking if they won a toss.

Unless Belichick or Slater says otherwise, there's really no other way to interpret the events.

Once Slater says, "Kick," by rule the Referee turns to the other team. He clearly says "Kick." There are no do-overs or "oops, I changed my minds" at that point. In some ways, it's a slight to Slater to suggest that he didn't know what he was saying. The facts on the table are that Belichick has stated that he told him to say "Kick" and that the tape shows he said "Kick."

I really think it was just miscommunication between BB and Slater. BB wanted to kick off but wanted to pick the direction to play the wind and by telling Slater we want to kick and in which direction he put a lot of trust into Slater to KNOW he should say defend this goal. I don't think Slater thought it through and in the spur of the moment just said kick.

In college or the NFL once you say your choice you can't change it. I can say in high school we are a little more lenient already knowing what the coach wants so if the player says something different we will ask them Are you sure and allow them to change their decision.

Matt Chatham has said the ref saying "you want to kick?" was typical because it would have been standard practice for BB to tell the ref he was going to kick if they won the toss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back