PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Colts and Mahoney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
VJCPatriot said:
3. I don't think the Colts could afford to move up. If they had packaged a 1st and 2nd or a 1st and 3rd they wouldn't have had the picks to rebuild their defense. And they lost several key defensive players this season in addition to Edge because they had to pay Wayne. (Humm echoes of Branch situation?)

Just look at how they drafted.
1 30 Addai, Joseph RB 5-11 215 Louisiana State
2 62 Jennings, Tim CB 5-8 186 Georgia
3 94 Keiaho, Freddie ILB 5-11 227 San Diego State
5 162 Toudouze, Michael G 6-6 302 Texas Christian
6 199 Johnson, Charlie OT 6-4 304 Oklahoma State
6 207 Bethea, Antoine FS 5-11 203 Howard
7 238 Rushing, T.J. CB 5-10 175 Stanford

The Colts lost 2 defensive players (Tripplett and Thornton) this season. Of course, this board considers them "key". When the Patriots lose a player, that player was not "key". I am at a loss at losing one starter and a reserve with a lot of playing time forces a team to rebuild its defense. Only by this board and Curran is Tripplett considered a starter.

IMO, the Colts could have chosen to keep the 2 (personally, I would never use the word several to describe the number 2 - I would use couple) players but decided not to match what those players got in free agency. As recently as the end of May the Colts were $9 million under the cap which tells me that with 2006 cap hits of Thornton and Tripplett that the Colts could have afforded to keep them if they chose to do so, especially if they use option bonuses.

FWIW - The vast majority of the Colts' draft picks in the Dungy era have been defensive players. That's their system.

14thDragon said:
Yeah, but it is a cz, not an sz. Which is a hard ch sound.

So it would be Mroo-ch-kow-ski.

http://experts.about.com/q/Other-Languages-656/pronunciation-polish-names.htm

That's a great reference, but I'm feeling pedantic (picky) today so let me point out that the Polish "w" is pronounced like an English "v" -- so "vodka" is spelled "wodka" but pronounced as we would -- or sometimes like an "f". Americans (including some Polish-Americans) always seem to pronounce Polish names ending in kowski as "cow-ski" but Poles themselves pronounce it as "off-ski". Thus Mruc is "Muh-rootch-cough-ski" (I think :rolleyes: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike the Brit said:
That's a great reference, but I'm feeling pedantic (picky) today so let me point out that the Polish "w" is pronounced like an English "v" -- so "vodka" is spelled "wodka" but pronounced as we would -- or sometimes like an "f". Americans (including some Polish-Americans) always seem to pronounce Polish names ending in kowski as "cow-ski" but Poles themselves pronounce it as "off-ski". Thus Mruc is "Muh-rootch-cough-ski" (I think :rolleyes: ).
I think Dante just pronounces it hay-but-hed. Must be idiosyncratic to the greater Boston area.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I think Dante just pronounces it hay-but-hed. Must be idiosyncratic to the greater Boston area.

I bet that's what he calls all the boys ... :rolleyes:

Mike the Brit said:
I bet that's what he calls all the boys ... :rolleyes:

Actually there is slight inflection change for each one of them. If you listen carefully you can here it. It refelcts the indvidualty and respect he affords each one of them.

14thDragon said:
Actually there is slight inflection change for each one of them. If you listen carefully you can here it. It refelcts the indvidualty and respect he affords each one of them.

I thought that they were metaphors ...

Mike the Brit said:

According to my Pats pronounciation guide, from last preseason at Gillette:

Monty Beisel .......... BYE-zul
Matt Cassel ........... CASTLE
Christian Fauria ...... FOUR-ee-AY
Russ Hochstein ....... HOKE-stine
Nick Kaczur ........ Kă-zur
Dan Koppen ........ COPE-en
Victor Leyva ....... LAY-va
Gene Mruczkowski ..... merch-KOWSKI
Jeff Roehl .......... ROLL
Adam Vinatieri ..... vin-a-TERRY

And just for fun...

Ikechuku Ndukwe ..... E-kay-chu-KOO n-DUKE-way

Last edited:
pats1 said:
According to my Pats pronounciation guide, from last preseason at Gillette:

Monty Beisel .......... BYE-zul
Matt Cassel ........... CASTLE
Christian Fauria ...... FOUR-ee-AY
Russ Hochstein ....... HOKE-stine
Nick Kaczur ........ Kă-zur
Dan Koppen ........ COPE-en
Victor Leyva ....... LAY-va
Gene Mruczkowski ..... merch-KOWSKI
Jeff Roehl .......... ROLL
Adam Vinatieri ..... ****-head

And just for fun...

Ikechuku Ndukwe ..... E-kay-chu-KOO n-DUKE-way

I fixed that last one for you. ;)

Mike the Brit said:
Polish speaker here, chiming in. Yep, exactly. Sounds like: Mrooch-COUGH-ski (stress on the COUGH)
The Polish "W" sounds like either English "V" or "F", depending on where it occurs in a word.

Someone earlier remarked that Polish is difficult to spell, or something to that effect...actually, it isn't at all. Of course there are differences between the alphabet used in Polish and other Slavonic languages compared to English, however, words in Polish are always spelled phonetically, very much unlike English.

Last edited:
Mike, Dragon, & Box -
what a fabulous colloquy !

(And, sure, it's easy for YOU to say Ka*-zur.
But it still should be spelled Kaycur.) :)

basement zombie said:
Someone earlier remarked that Polish is difficult to spell, or something to that effect...actually, it isn't at all. Of course there are differences between the alphabet used in Polish and other Slavonic languages compared to English, however, words in Polish are always spelled phonetically, very much unlike English.

I remarked that Polish is difficult to spell/pronounce because of differences in the alphabet from English to Polish. I have no doubts that if you're familiar with the alphabet, it's not at all difficult (I speak Russian, a cousin of Polish, but probably couldn't understand enough to get what someone was saying). The same goes for Irish Gaelic. In Irish, for instance, bh can take a w or v, but it looks like it should just be a b. It's in the non-Romantic alphabet and the romanticizing of it that confusion arises.

This conversation is more interesting than the talk about the Colts... hahah.

Maroney would have been nuts on the colts.. and hes gonna be nuts on the pats, i can't wait. i was jumping for joy (literally) this draft the first 2 rounds.

Even Mike Shanahan thinks Maroney is gonna be one of the best NFL backs, and hes a running back guy:

Surprisingly, Shanahan didn’t grab a running back in the draft, although he said he was intrigued by Minnesota’s Laurence Maroney, who was selected 21st by New England, before deciding to make a move up for Cutler instead.

“We weren’t planning on picking up a running back,†Shanahan said. “Maroney was a guy that we thought a lot of, a guy we probably would have taken because of his value and how good we thought he would fit into any zone-blocking scheme.

Maroney is locked up for the next five years, and perhaps last night was what Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had in mind when he told Sports Illustrated that he thought the Patriots got a steal with Maroney at the 21st pick in the draft.

Amnorix said:
You "prefer" to call him something other than what his name is? It's not a sign of respect, or an insult. You've just decided to give him a different name for no reason at all.

I'm sorry but that is stupid. It's disrespectful and childish to just intentionally misspell his name.

Lighten up, jeez

As Miguel said, Tripplett was not the starter. And, Thornton was the Colts 3rd best linebacker.

McGinnest alone was 10x as valuable as both combined.

Of course the Colts wanted Maroney. But, the Pats were a worse team and were beaten 40-21 by the Colts, so they got a higher draft pick. Not much the Colts can do about that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back