PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Mike Loyko of NE Patriots' Draft looks at senior prospects from the SEC:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/08/top-senior-prospects-for-the-2013-draft-sec.html.

Some of my favorites:

Jesse Williams, DE [Alabama] – An Australian who is relatively new to football (he’s only been playing since 15). One of the strongest players in college football, Williams can occupy blockers and allows the Alabama linebackers to run free and make plays. He is an ideal 3-4 DE, who plays inside on passing downs. He could also play the nose at the next level if needed. Williams needs some seasoning and must improve technique/fundamentals, but based on what he showed in his first year at Alabama, he could be very good.

Michael Williams, TE [Alabama] – Williams has long been a favorite prospect of mine. He is the best run blocking TE in America, with the ability to get movement off the line of scrimmage with ease. He has good footwork and does an great job of sealing the edge. Williams only caught 14 passes last year, but has improved as a pass catcher each season. He has the ability to be a bigger factor in the pass game this year and presents a huge red zone target. Williams won’t be a high pick, but for a team looking for a solid in-line TE who excels at blocking, Williams is the guy.

Chris Gragg, TE [Arkansas] – Took over for DJ Williams, last year and the offense didn’t miss a beat. Caught 41 balls for 518 yards. At 6’2″ 234 pounds and reported mid 4.5 speed, Gragg is a “movable” TE with very good athleticism. He has the ability to be lined up all over the offense and creates mismatches for defenses. Gragg is one of the best “receiving” tight ends for the 2013 draft.

John Jenkins, DT [Georgia]– MASSIVE DT standing 6’3″ 358 pounds. For someone with that frame Jenkins is very athletic, he carries the weight well and moves much better than expected. He’s gets off the ball well and can collapse the pocket. Right now Jenkins relies too much on his size and strength to win one of one battles. He needs to learn how to use his hands and come up with a counter move. Recorded 6.0 TFL and 3.0 sacks as a Junior. If Jenkins can build on the talented he exhibited as a Junior, there is no reason why he can’t be a high draft pick in 2013.

Devin Taylor, DE [South Carolina] – Taylor is a physical specimen standing 6’6″ 270 pounds. He has really long arms and can explode off the edge as a pass rusher. Taylor recorded 5.0 sacks last year, playing on a very talented defensive line. Despite being a very good athlete, he’s not a very refined pass rusher and lacks more than a speed rush. Taylor needs to play more physical and be able to get off blocks better. For someone that is as physically gifted as he is, he disappears for long stretches in games. Taylor will be selected in the top 4 rounds based on his pass rush potential alone.

Chris Gragg is an interesting prospect that we haven't talked about yet. A 6'2" 235# WR/TE hybrid with 4.5 speed to pair with/backup Aaron Hernandez would be a very interesting addition.

A profile on Arkansas H-back/TE Chris Gragg:

Chris Gragg comes into the season a bit undersized (6’3 and 235 pounds), however he plays bigger than listed. He came into his own last season and starting for the first time, replacing recently drafted D.J. Williams (Green Bay Packers) catching 41 passes for 518 yards and 2 touchdowns. Not one to get many opportunities on a team laced with offensive talent, Chris slowly churns until his number is called and plays to his potential

Release: As a former Wide Receiver, Chris has a very clean release off of the line. He is able to beat the press and also find soft spots in the zone. Chris has great separation skills and can shake off the initial defender, leading to greater YAC, and closer coverage, which, he is able to beat off the line.

Hands: Chris has great hands. It’s quite as simple as that. If the ball is thrown anywhere near him, he will find, track, and get his hands onto it. He is able to make adjustments both in the air (high point) and with his body to put himself in position, on the rare off-thrown ball from Quarterback Tyler Wilson. He is a great hand catcher, and doesn’t trap many (if any) passes against his chest. He needs to improve on his concentration; he had 2-3 passes last year fall off of his fingers, trying to make the play before securing the pass.

Body Control and Traffic Ability: Chris shows great body control and can flip and turn with the play and make a break on the ball. This leads to great ability in heavy traffic, as most of his game comes from making plays over the middle (middle slip screens/dunk off safety passes), which are highly contested by the Middle Linebacker and Safety. Chris shows an incredible ability to move around in heavy trafficked areas, and can break a play given tight windows/coverage.

YAC: Chris shows he can break away ability from both initial contact and can out run the middle of the field (linebacking corps). He can dip his shoulder to shake off and has a developed stiff arm. The downside is he doesn’t have the elite breakaway speed to outrun the secondary and will need to adjust to the speed at the next level. Also needs more reps on passing downs to fairly determine this ability.

Blocking: This may be one of Chris’ weaknesses, however, most used quality in the Razorback Offense. He is in as either the lead blocker or strong side blocker on run plays, playing both inline, and also in the backfield (FB). He needs work coming from the outside (Receiver) but has picked up his responsibilities and improved every week last year. He is able to seal the edge and work his way to the second and third levels. He needs to work on staying grounded and making sure he finishes the block before moving to the next helmet.

Overall: Chris grew on me the more I watched him. I initially had him as a mid round talent, due to infrequent touches and his underdeveloped blocking ability. However, re-watching he strikes me as a surefire2nd round pick and top-50 talent due to his catching prowess and able to stay in on third down. His ceiling will be that of a Dallas Clark if he can improve his overall blocking. His size/speed will create problems for defenses both in College and in the NFL as long as he is able to develop and work on his successes from the 2011 season.

Scouting Report: Chris Gragg | NFL Draft Monsters

This is one that's intriguing me at the moment:

Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

kf03_1316035980.jpg

Kyle Fuller, CB*- Fuller is yet another playmaker on this defense and while he isn’t quite as filled out as Exum he’s still pretty big for a corner. He’s listed at 6’0”, 188 pounds and I believe he has legit sub 4.5 speed. Plus, like James said, he plays even bigger than he is and loves to hit. That helped him gather 65 tackles, 10 TFL (10 tackles for loss for a corner is out of this world), 4.5 sacks, 7 pass break-ups and 2 interceptions as a sophomore. I’m expecting him to take an even bigger step forward as a junior, and with all the talent VT has in the front 7 there are going to be plenty of poor throws, decisions and opportunities for turnovers for this secondary and I expect Fuller to take advantage of them.

Puts me a bit in mind of Ron Brooks last year with his ability to be disruptive in all parts of playing defense, not just defending the pass.

Bearing in mind the Patriot propensity to move college OT's inside to guard, how about Alex Hurst from LSU:

130218244_display_image.jpg

Run Blocking: This is what I’d consider the strength of Hurst’s game, and it mainly comes from his size and ability to lock onto defenders and move them into the 2nd level and create those big holes. Hurst is truly a drive blocker, but also has the athleticism to maneuver and wall off or stalemate the defender to allow the RB to get to the next level. He does keep his pad level low for the most part, although it could be improved on. Seems to be more of a knee bender on film, than a waist bender. Sometimes does miss a block or two, but makes up for it by finding another player to block instead of looking just lost. Does do a good job getting to the 2nd level, but doesn’t always locate LB’s or Secondary players well. For a guy at 340 pounds, Hurst does fire off the ball pretty well and get to the defender fast. Needs to work on mostly footwork in the run game as well and go for more short choppy steps instead of trying to stride. Will be an issue if he continues to have this type of footwork in the NFL. Does finish blocks well and seems like a feisty player who will be a tough one to face in the NFL. Has good enough athleticism to get out on screens, but not the best athleticism compared to other OT’s in this class.

Not athletic enough perhaps for a Patriot OL?

Starting my research in ernest today. Here's someone with that Patriot vibe about him:

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, UConn

110_6_uconn_fball100610.jpg

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB – Blidi (BWW for short) has great upside potential this season and was showing this before he missed 5 games this past season with a knee injury. He offer experience, with 30 career starts and is a leader both on and off the field (named team captain), along with great size/speed/athleticism. BWW is 6’1and plays between 190 and 195 pounds throughout the year. BWW is physical at the line of scrimmage, and should he return to form, offers shutdown corner capabilities along with blitzing ability from the outside. Even missing the 5 games, BWW recorded 37 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 interceptions, and 1 sack. BWW at this time, is a Mid Round prospect, but if he can return back to form and show no ill-signs of lingering issues with his knee, could crack the top-100 by seasons end.

UConn Huskies Top NFL Prospects for 2012 and Beyond - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases

I know Mayo is hot on this guy, but after watching these two videos, I have a passion, a passion for some Berliner Deutsch:

Bjoern Werner vs Oklahoma - YouTube

FSU Bjoern Werner 2011 Highlights - YouTube

That play at 1:00 is outstanding. I think of all the pass rushers available, Bjoern Werner is the best fit from a Belichick perspective in that he looks very sound against the run. I'd rather have him than Mingo, Jarvis Jones etc.

Question is, how will the rest of the NFL see him? Is he likely to jump the Mingos and Jones' in the draft or is he someone, because of the deep class, who might fall because he might be a little behind the others in terms of combine type athleticism.

I know Mayo is hot on this guy, but after watching these two videos, I have a passion, a passion for some Berliner Deutsch:

Bjoern Werner vs Oklahoma - YouTube

FSU Bjoern Werner 2011 Highlights - YouTube

That play at 1:00 is outstanding. I think of all the pass rushers available, Bjoern Werner is the best fit from a Belichick perspective in that he looks very sound against the run. I'd rather have him than Mingo, Jarvis Jones etc.

Question is, how will the rest of the NFL see him? Is he likely to jump the Mingos and Jones' in the draft or is he someone, because of the deep class, who might fall because he might be a little behind the others in terms of combine type athleticism.

I love Werner's game, and he's definitely on my short list along with Margus Hunt of LDE prospects for the Pats. Great motor, very strong. He's sort of a Justin Smith kind of prospect. I personally think that he will stay behind the purer edge rushers like Mingo and Jones no matter how well he does, but he could go top 15-20 if he has a strong season, or he could go 2nd round. Werner also had offseason shoulder surgery and missed spring practice, and it's possible that his recovery from injury may impact his strength, which is a huge part of his game. That could affect his draft stock to our benefit, as Chandler Jiones' recovery from a knee injury did last year.

I love Werner's game, and he's definitely on my short list along with Margus Hunt of LDE prospects for the Pats. Great motor, very strong. He's sort of a Justin Smith kind of prospect. I personally think that he will stay behind the purer edge rushers like Mingo and Jones no matter how well he does, but he could go top 15-20 if he has a strong season, or he could go 2nd round. Werner also had offseason shoulder surgery and missed spring practice, and it's possible that his recovery from injury may impact his strength, which is a huge part of his game. That could affect his draft stock to our benefit, as Chandler Jiones' recovery from a knee injury did last year.

The thing is, would BB draft him? We have Ninko, Bequette and Cunningham who could all play the same position Werner does. Werner seems perfect as a Belichick guy however with his ideal size, long arms, high motor and ability to defend the run. After the last few years for the Pats, having Chandler Jones and Werner on opposite ends of the DL would be like some fantastical dream world for Pats fans.

The thing is, would BB draft him? We have Ninko, Bequette and Cunningham who could all play the same position Werner does. Werner seems perfect as a Belichick guy however with his ideal size, long arms, high motor and ability to defend the run. After the last few years for the Pats, having Chandler Jones and Werner on opposite ends of the DL would be like some fantastical dream world for Pats fans.

I see drafting a guy who can play 4-3 LDE / 3-4 DE and occasionally move inside as a pass rusher as one of our potential areas to address for 2013. Fanene would have filled that role, but even if he had worked out he was on the wrong side of 30 and I saw a need for a young guy. Bequette could possibly bulk up and fill that role, but that remains to be seen. Guys like Werner and Margus Hunt would be good fits. Jesse Williams could possibly play something of that kind of role, though he's not as much of a penetrator. Devin Taylor could possibly add some bulk and play that kind of role, but I'm not sure he has the raw power of guys like Werner and Hunt. William Gholston might be a fit, but he has other concerns. I'm intrigued by Missouri Central DE David Bass, who Mackenzie Pantoja profiled last month. I personally think that BB would value someone with the right combination of versatility and skills.

Another interesting prospect:

Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

9460708-large.jpg

He's a 6-6 220 lb WR at Rutgers but supposedly has 4.5 speed. Only caught 17 passes last season (it was Sanu's offense) but they went for 552 yds and 6TD's. Judging by this one video, he looks pretty damn good:

Brandon Coleman vs UCONN 2011 - YouTube

Brandon Coleman, WR** - Brandon was been named Preseason All-Big East Second and Third Team (Athlon and Phil Steele) for his explosive type of work from the Receiver position. Coleman is large, a listed, 6’6 and 220 pounds (while playing in the 4.5 range) with big play capability. While catching only 17 passes (thanks to Sanu), Coleman turned those few opportunities to the tune of 552 yards (32.5 average) and 6 touchdowns. He is big and strong enough to win 50-50 jump balls, could make him a great Red Zone target. Coleman needs to work on developing routes and will need to prove he can stay healthy with the increased number of touches, he is surely about to receive.

Prospect Preview: Rutgers Scarlet Knights | NFL Draft Monsters

Interestingly, for much of the game he's up against Blidi Wreh-Wilson who I highlighted about five posts ago. Both intrigue me (Coleman is a Jr however).

And of course it's Rutgers so there's always a chance.

Last edited:
Here's Rob Rang on Tennessee OL Dallas Thomas:

OT Dallas Thomas (6-5, 305)

Considering the "skill" position talent Tennessee boats, it is easy to understand why any offensive lineman -- even a very good one like Thomas -- is often overlooked by the Tennessee faithful and national media. As the Vols' top senior prospect, however, NFL scouts are certainly keeping close tabs on the the athletic and versatile talent. Thomas signed with Tennessee as a relatively lightly regarded prospect and saw most of his playing time as a freshman on special teams. He earned the starting left tackle position as a sophomore, however, and went on to start the next 25 games of his career at the blindside position. Despite his experience at left tackle, the Tennessee coaches have moved Thomas inside to left guard for his senior season. It is a move that could pay off nicely for the Volunteers, as well as Thomas, as he possesses the skill-set to make a smooth adjustment. Thomas possesses very good initial quickness. He was susceptible to speed rushers, however, as lacks the sustained foot speed to earn top grades as a pass blocker. He gets an aggressive punch in but often stops moving his feet as he does so and therefore if his punch doesn't stop the pass rush entirely, leaving himself vulnerable to an outside speed rush or quick counter back inside. This isn't the typical rotund blocker who is simply too un-athletic to compete on outside. Thomas is an impressive athlete, who plays with good flexibility and balance. Plays with good leverage and possesses an athletic build with good arm length. While moving a legitimate NFL prospect during his senior season is typically grounds for questioning, Thomas should perform very well protected inside at guard and could prove to be one of the top senior offensive line prospects in the SEC. Thomas currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2 senior offensive tackle and the No. 7 offensive tackle, overall.

2013 NFL Draft: Tennessee Preview - CBSSports

Good find, Manx.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned him yet, but I have a new binky for the 2013 draft. Kyle Prater, WR from Northwestern. He is only a redshirt Sophomore so he may not declare, but he has the potential to be an elite WR in the NFL. He was the top WR recruit in the Country a few years ago and committed to USC. After injury his freshman year he redshirted, and only had 1 reception the next season. Then he decided to transfer to move closer to home, choosing Northwestern.

He is 6'5" runs in the 4.5's and has amazing hands. Anyone that read any of my posts from the lead up to the 2012 draft knows I had a man crush on Alshon Jeffery (and rightfully so, he is going to be a beast). Well Prater is bigger, faster, a better route runner and has hands that are almost, if not just as good as Jeffery's. He catches better with one hand than most college receivers do with two. Now there are some concerns, obviously health and experience being two of the biggest. Going into his redshirt sophomore season he only has 1 career reception and very limited playing time. But that could also make him a steal. He is off most peoples draft radar at the moment, but a big season could definitely change that. I hope he stays a late round gem, because I think he can be a #1 WR in the NFL.

Watch him dominate 1 on 1's while he was at USC
Kyle Prater USC 1on1's.mov - YouTube

I don't know if anyone has mentioned him yet, but I have a new binky for the 2013 draft. Kyle Prater, WR from Northwestern. He is only a redshirt Sophomore so he may not declare, but he has the potential to be an elite WR in the NFL. He was the top WR recruit in the Country a few years ago and committed to USC. After injury his freshman year he redshirted, and only had 1 reception the next season. Then he decided to transfer to move closer to home, choosing Northwestern.

He is 6'5" runs in the 4.5's and has amazing hands. Anyone that read any of my posts from the lead up to the 2012 draft knows I had a man crush on Alshon Jeffery (and rightfully so, he is going to be a beast). Well Prater is bigger, faster, a better route runner and has hands that are almost, if not just as good as Jeffery's. He catches better with one hand than most college receivers do with two. Now there are some concerns, obviously health and experience being two of the biggest. Going into his redshirt sophomore season he only has 1 career reception and very limited playing time. But that could also make him a steal. He is off most peoples draft radar at the moment, but a big season could definitely change that. I hope he stays a late round gem, because I think he can be a #1 WR in the NFL.

Very nice find, thanks for posting. I wonder if he'd be to tall for the Pats, who like their receivers to be able to stop on a dime, but maybe they want to shift away from that style of offense. Do you know what round he's projected to go?

Just tuned in to Northwestern vs. Cuse' after reading your post. Only been watching a few minutes but I see they have 21 points by half not sure if your boy had anything to do with that but they are putting up points.

Very nice find, thanks for posting. I wonder if he'd be to tall for the Pats, who like their receivers to be able to stop on a dime, but maybe they want to shift away from that style of offense. Do you know what round he's projected to go?

He's a redshirt sophomore so most scouting services don't even have him listed. But with only 1 career catch I would think he would have to be projected as a 7th/UDFA at the moment. That will obviously change as the season goes on but I think its going to be tough to boost hist stock too high.

On whether he would fit, I've been hoping for a big, physical target for the last few years. Someone with a huge catch radius that doesn't need a perfect ball to make a play and win a jump ball down the field.

Just tuned in to Northwestern vs. Cuse' after reading your post. Only been watching a few minutes but I see they have 21 points by half not sure if your boy had anything to do with that but they are putting up points.

Yeah Northwestern have a pretty good passing offense. They have a really deep and experienced WR group so Prater isn't a starter yet. I think part of that could be because of the transfer process and the time taken for the NCAA to rule him eligible this season without having to sit out a year. Over time I think he will earn the starting job and start putting up some impressive numbers. He's #21 and has 1 catch for 7 yards in the first half.

Here's Rob Rang on Tennessee OL Dallas Thomas:

2013 NFL Draft: Tennessee Preview - CBSSports

Good find, Manx.

Buffalo Bills Draft liked him in Tennessee's first game:

Summary: I usually don’t admit to being right or wrong about any player after the first game but I can already admit that I was wrong on Thomas. I only saw Thomas once last year v. Florida and it was not a good game for him. This year he looks entirely different, he looks like he’s spent a lot of time working on his fundamentals and most importantly he looks dominant. He played both OG and OT tonight and looked great at both. Really loved the way he got his arms out in front and kept defenders away from his body, so much improvement there. To me he was the player of the game.

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Tennessee v. NC State-LIVE THREAD | Buffalo Bills Draft

Interesting piece from Dan Pompei today on the "decline" of offensive linemen and offensive line play:

NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

One of the reasons advanced by league personnel men is that superior athletes are gravitating towards the defensive side of the ball. Guys like Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer are superior athletes by any definition. Solder's problems have been more inexperience and technical than any athletic limitation, and Vollmer has a freakish combination of size/speed/footwork that made him the best RT in the NFL before hurting his back. I also think of OL binkies in recent years such as Jared Veldheer (6'8" with a basketball background) and Senio Kelemete (started out as a defensive lineman before switching to OT and eventually probably OG) with exceptional athleticism and footwork.

Perhaps it makes sense not to target guys with athletic limitations who excel at the college level as much as guys with ridiculous footwork, athleticism and physical attributes who can be coaches up over time. From this perspective guys like Luke Marquardt (6'8"+ with a basketball background from a small school, like Veldheer), Mark Jackson (6'5" 330# but with terrific footwork and athleticism for a big man) and Dallas Thomas make sense. None will require a 1st round pick. Thomas and Jackson could go day 2 but possibly lower, and Marquardt is clearly a developmental guy. All have a ton of potential, especially after some time at Dante's Dancing Academy.

Perhaps it makes sense not to target guys with athletic limitations who excel at the college level as much as guys with ridiculous footwork, athleticism and physical attributes who can be coaches up over time.

I couldn't agree more, this is why I'd like to target shorter but very athletic left tackles, who GMs wont give a shot at playing tackle because their height, and use them in the interior, and also get very athletic blocking TEs who can't catch and coach them up as tackles. Not only would you be getting players for cheap but you could also potentially get much better players than teams who opt for a finished product with a lower ceiling.

Interesting piece from Dan Pompei today on the "decline" of offensive linemen and offensive line play:

NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

One of the reasons advanced by league personnel men is that superior athletes are gravitating towards the defensive side of the ball. Guys like Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer are superior athletes by any definition. Solder's problems have been more inexperience and technical than any athletic limitation, and Vollmer has a freakish combination of size/speed/footwork that made him the best RT in the NFL before hurting his back. I also think of OL binkies in recent years such as Jared Veldheer (6'8" with a basketball background) and Senio Kelemete (started out as a defensive lineman before switching to OT and eventually probably OG) with exceptional athleticism and footwork.

Perhaps it makes sense not to target guys with athletic limitations who excel at the college level as much as guys with ridiculous footwork, athleticism and physical attributes who can be coaches up over time. From this perspective guys like Luke Marquardt (6'8"+ with a basketball background from a small school, like Veldheer), Mark Jackson (6'5" 330# but with terrific footwork and athleticism for a big man) and Dallas Thomas make sense. None will require a 1st round pick. Thomas and Jackson could go day 2 but possibly lower, and Marquardt is clearly a developmental guy. All have a ton of potential, especially after some time at Dante's Dancing Academy.

Well this is the Pats mantra isn't it - coachable athletic guys whose upside outweighs their current skillset by potentially, some margin. But I wonder whether the Pats are all about a high ceiling or to what extent the floor factors into their consideration. Is a low floor guy like Marquadt ever going to be drafted by the Pats no matter what his ceiling might be or do they require a high enough floor to contend realistically for a place on the 53? I'd suggest that as BB looks to favour seniors over juniors (open to debate) and big schoolers over small schoolers that the floor is as important a consideration as the ceiling.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back