PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Megatron comes with Stafford sign me up. At 35 yo he’d be our best WR.
Anyways, I think Kraft & BB know how difficult it is to compete without a GOAT or stud QB. BB has little time left, as does Kraft. One last 5 year run, future be damned, so we can tank later for couple of years. I need a reset anyways. It’s tiring being the best for 20 years.

I don't think Stafford is incredible but he's at least good. Tons of arm, sharp enough. Seems like a decent fit. The tweet by Lombardi is a good point - maybe the offers are lower because few teams can absorb his cap hit. If NE can get him for their 2nd rounder, and use the 1st on someone like Pitts, and sign Golladay who already has played with Stafford - they'll be in good shape. Maybe trade Gilmore to replace the capital used on Stafford.

Everything I've been reading is that there are no real good QB prospects at #15. The worst thing a team can do is draft a QB just because it's a need even if they feel it's not "the guy". I know alot of posters want the Patriots to draft a QB at #15 but if that is not a good prospect it's a waste of a pick. It's not as simple as draft a guy he becomes good and sign a Fitzpatrick. Otherwise all these teams would have solved the QB position

The second worst thing a team can do is ignore the QB position because they have other needs. Build a good team and be missing that "piece" that's where the Bucs were. But when you get to that point you have to hope a "guy" is available to get you to that point and they may not be.

I don't how you can cheerlead Jimmy G and sneer at Stafford. Jimmy G has spent most of his NFL career not playing at all because of injury.

As full time starter for the 49er the last 3 years he has 3, 16 and 6 starts.

The problem with the Stafford trade is that it blows up the draft for the Patriots. There are 15 top players this draft and then a drop off. I really thought one of the top 4 QBs would drop to New England at #15, but now with the Lions grabbing a QB, it's not going to happen. Not unless they trade Stafford to a team that returns a young QB.

Kind of bummed. I thought Trey Lance could drop but now as I see it, there are a lot of QB needy teams ahead of us all of a sudden.

as much as i'd question stafford as a for this offense, i like him

i just don't like him if giving up the 15 is in play........there's others to like for less cost

Also, reading a lot of the parameters of this, I would not be surprised if Stafford returns to the Lions. Smaller cap means he will need to sacrifice $$ if he wants to pick his spot. And teams might not give Detroit the draft capital that makes this a smart move for Detroit at all. This deal is going to be pretty hard for both sides. Detroit needs at least a mid rounder 1st plus more picks for this. AT LEAST. Good QBs don't grow on trees. This is a Carson Palmer like trade. But in a year with a cap crunch and with a QB with some power over the deal? Difficult. Very difficult.

I heard Beetle and Zo talking about making giving up a first for him. That would be insane for a soon to be 33 year old QB coming into a depleted roster. I would much rather take a young guy and develop him for the future and win 5 games instead of 8 or 9.

I don't think Stafford is incredible but he's at least good. Tons of arm, sharp enough. Seems like a decent fit. The tweet by Lombardi is a good point - maybe the offers are lower because few teams can absorb his cap hit. If NE can get him for their 2nd rounder, and use the 1st on someone like Pitts, and sign Golladay who already has played with Stafford - they'll be in good shape. Maybe trade Gilmore to replace the capital used on Stafford.
What I wrote on page 7 ...
On everything I love I had a proposed trade in my thread but never posted it bc it didn't look real enough. I'd welcome Stafford in a second for the right price.

Det gets - 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd & 3rd, Gilmore

Pats get - Stafford, swap 8 & 15.

15 straight up is a lot more realistic but I really don't want to part with the highest draft capital we've had in a decade. Normally I'm proven vet > draft picks. This is all on Bill of course. Maybe he sees it as Stafford > Lance/Wilson, who knows?

Look I'd rather go young but Stafford is more than good enough to at least compete for a SB ... with a competent coaching staff, defense and running game. Detroit has been a nightmare from top to bottom since forever so it's tough to judge him in that environment.

Essentially I see as two 2nd's & a 3rd for Stafford and Gilmore thrown in to move up. Now we have a franchise QB. In his early 30's but still looks good. A top 10 pick to select a prospect, trade down or possibly into next year and have two 2022 1st.

Sign Robinson or Golladay. Draft another speedster in the 3rd and your offense looks a lot different overnight.

On everything I love I had a proposed trade in my thread but never posted it bc it didn't look real enough. I'd welcome Stafford in a second for the right price.

15 straight up is a lot more realistic but I really don't want to part with the highest draft capital we've had in a decade. Normally I'm proven vet > draft picks. This is all on Bill of course. Maybe he sees it as Stafford > Lance/Wilson, who knows?

Look I'd rather go young but Stafford is more than good enough to at least compete for a SB ... with a competent coaching staff, defense and running game. Detroit has been a nightmare from top to bottom since forever so it's tough to judge him in that environment.

Essentially I see as two 2nd's & a 3rd for Stafford and Gilmore thrown in to move up. Now we have a franchise QB. In his early 30's but still looks good. A top 10 pick to select a prospect, trade down or possibly into next year and have two 2022 1st.

Sign Robinson or Golladay. Draft another speedster in the 3rd and your offense looks a lot different overnight.
I like that trade a lot, though I saw Detroit specifically wants picks in order to move up themselves (presumably to draft Stafford's replacement) so I don't know if this would fly. They could probably sit at #15 and wait to see how the board plays out and only move up as much as necessary. If this trade did play out I'd be very curious who NE would draft at #8. Would need to be a hit since they wouldn't pick again until late in the 3rd with the comp pick from Brady.

Very interesting Cousin. Digesting a cup of coffee and some cranberry cake with maple syrup for breakfast. Like the out of the box stuff here. Detroit is basically in CAP hell. They will ask for a 1rst for sure but think Jimmie G. type return. A 2nd and a 4th maybe.
Here is the issue. It's a revenge year for BB and who better than to get results when you question him.
The Packers might be the ones to Trade Rodgers. It will cost wampum but the Pack drafted Love and this resembles the Farve/Rodgers story.We dumped our " face of the Franchise', why couldn't Mark Murphy with Rodgers. His CAP money is atrocious and he Drafts late.
This gives BB three years or so to get another ring which is now a quest.
Are 1st rounders valuable? Harry is a case in point ....or many other ineffective Pats 1st rounders. We are NOt a great Drafting Team. BB's best moves have been Trades and pick ups. Some work and some don't but all things being equal, this is his forte. Nick and Monte are gone. No great loss for sure.
No 1st picks for a couple years? No problem. We don't have too much luck there. Rodgers....the Krafts will like the fanny's in the seats.
DW Toys

Also, reading a lot of the parameters of this, I would not be surprised if Stafford returns to the Lions. Smaller cap means he will need to sacrifice $$ if he wants to pick his spot. And teams might not give Detroit the draft capital that makes this a smart move for Detroit at all. This deal is going to be pretty hard for both sides. Detroit needs at least a mid rounder 1st plus more picks for this. AT LEAST. Good QBs don't grow on trees. This is a Carson Palmer like trade. But in a year with a cap crunch and with a QB with some power over the deal? Difficult. Very difficult.
???
If Stafford is traded, he won't lose money.

We have no guarantees to get Lance or Wilson, even if Belichick would be happy with whichever of them was left. All 4 could reasonably be drafted in the top 10.

There will several teams discussing trading with Detroit. To win the competition, I would expect that this would cost at least our first and 3rd with a 5th coming back. I'm fine with that if Belichick believes that this is the best veteran choice (which most likely is the case).

???
If Stafford is traded, he won't lose money.
Lack of cap space limits his landing spot. If he wants to choose his best fit, he's going to have to fit under that team's cap. It's going to require a restructure unless he simply goes to a team with cap room.

We have no guarantees to get Lance or Wilson, even if Belichick would be happy with whichever of them was left. All 4 could reasonably be drafted in the top 10.

There will several teams discussing trading with Detroit. To win the competition, I would expect that this would cost at least our first and 3rd with a 5th coming back. I'm fine with that if Belichick believes that this is the best veteran choice (which most likely is the case).

THIS. There are alot of QB needy teams ahead of the Patriots. As it is #15 doesn't have a good track record.

The worst thing you can do as a team is draft a QB high just because it is a "need" even if you don't really love the guy. That's how you end up with busts.

THIS. There are alot of QB needy teams ahead of the Patriots. As it is #15 doesn't have a good track record.

The worst thing you can do as a team is draft a QB high just because it is a "need" even if you don't really love the guy. That's how you end up with busts.
It’s either mortgage picks and go get your QB
Trade for a veteran QB
Or sign a free agent you like such as Marcus Mariota.

Roll with stiddy so that you get a high pick in 22. If by miracle he transforms , you still win....get as much rooks as possible and allow them to play and gain experience in 2021..

Considering the competition for qb this year, might be better to lie low and grab garopollo if he is available. Even brissett is fine .

The only problem is belichick is in hot seat , so he may mortgage the future for 3 years of playoff appearances..

Roll with stiddy so that you get a high pick in 22. If by miracle he transforms , you still win....get as much rooks as possible and allow them to play and gain experience in 2021..

Considering the competition for qb this year, might be better to lie low and grab garopollo if he is available. Even brissett is fine .

The only problem is belichick is in hot seat , so he may mortgage the future for 3 years of playoff appearances..
This is what I wanted to happen last year. Rip the band aid off and let Stidham play. Worst case scenario he is terrible and we end up with a top 5 pick. Best case scenario he can play and you have a guy and a bunch of cap room for 2021. Instead we spent a year in purgatory watching Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft