PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ryan or Stafford (or anyone else) ends up in SF, Jimmy would still be my #1 choice in NE. I’d not let that stop me from looking to the future / youth...
Jimmy G 1
Mariotta 2
Unless there is a chance in hell of Getting Watson
However starting to not like Watsons attitude in this situation.
I honestly know knowing about his personality but what I’m seeing play out here.
Make him sound selfish and yes I Feel Elway and Eli and Corey Dillon handled it wrong.
Same with Moss.
I would dance for a Watson trade.
Fist pump for Jimmy G or Mariota
I would feel like we drafted Mahomes if we land Wilson or Lance.

Jimmy G 1
Mariotta 2
Unless there is a chance in hell of Getting Watson
However starting to not like Watsons attitude in this situation.
I honestly know knowing about his personality but what I’m seeing play out here.
Make him sound selfish and yes I Feel Elway and Eli and Corey Dillon handled it wrong.
Same with Moss.
I would dance for a Watson trade.
Fist pump for Jimmy G or Mariota
I would feel like we drafted Mahomes if we land Wilson or Lance.
From the options - when you also consider possible considerations to acquire ($ and picks), I can’t think of anyone else I’d want NE to roll with. Unless I’m missing something, my preference would be Jimmy or roll with a youngster. I guess I’d be open (but unexcited) to get Mariota, but I’d hope there was a pick to push/take over.

Without weapons or talent no established qb would want to come here. Better we bolster offense before we get any free agent qb. Belichick cannot play on the field and eventually the players matter.

So the motion that we won 6 super bowls or Bill being the goat coach is moot now.

Build a better team and see which qb can come in. Its probably a better idea to develop a rookie qb and hope he excels in second year. This is the year to plug those playmaker holes on offense and defense as much as possible ..

Qb will come after that.

Jimmy G and Darnit only 2 I am interested in
Let the Pats keep their 1st for D

People poop on Jimmy G so bad. Yes, his injury history is not good.
But, everyone gets a pass for the assumed ACL injury per NFL player.
His first and only full season (after 2 partials in SF) he did this:
13-3 - 69% completion - 4000yds - 27TD - 13INT - and 10min away from a SB win.

At 29, I think he can still provide a well-coached, and complimentary football team a solid QB with a chance to win.
with a great roster in SF, and yes 10 minutes away from winning SB but he **** his pants and lost it when it counted most, so yeah whats the difference between him and someone like Stafford? beside the age its not the guy that will lead your team and get them to win when it counts the most, so pass unless he comes cheap and costs max a conditional 6th round pick to acquire

and yes 10 minutes away from winning SB but he **** his pants and lost it when it counted most

That one was on the "vaunted" Saleh defense. With how much people hyped up that defense last year 10 point lead with 7 minutes to go, defense has to close that one out. Yet on 3rd & 15 and they allowed a 44 yard pass. Then had another 3rd and 10 on that drive and commited a PI.

That right there was the game. 49ers make the stop on that drive they win.

Last edited:
I’d rather him straight up IMO. His stats, win-loss record & play style say it all. Jimmy G has been a scapegoat with the 49ers for getting injured, losing a SB & being a sidecar in a Shanahan offense. Maybe he would’ve thrown more without JAGs at WR.

My only concern would be injuries. Surround him with decent weapons & he’ll make pats quick passing offense work.
Yeah my main concern is injuries. Almost have to wonder if picking him up makes signing Thuney more important... though at his cost I think Bill would still let Thuney go and just hope Stidham can play decent for the few games he ends up needing to play in.

Yeah my main concern is injuries. Almost have to wonder if picking him up makes signing Thuney more important... though at his cost I think Bill would still let Thuney go and just hope Stidham can play decent for the few games he ends up needing to play in.
IF (thats a big if) we land JG, then i think we need to go one step further... put the band back together and sign Jacoby Brissette as the back up... jettison stidham at this point or keep him as a practice squad/scout team arm

IF (thats a big if) we land JG, then i think we need to go one step further... put the band back together and sign Jacoby Brissette as the back up... jettison stidham at this point or keep him as a practice squad/scout team arm
I don’t think Stidham is starter material, but I think he’s at least good enough to be a game manager for a couple games with enough arm to take some shots. I don’t think they need to pay Brissett who probably can get low-level starter money.

with this many teams in the market for QBs, you gotta think Brissett, if moved, is going to get starter money

hell, i'm not going to be totally surprised if the Colts make him their starter lol

No thank you

Where did the Stafford thread go?

Edit: never mind I see it now

Stafford will not turn this team into a top tier contender. Save the draft picks but use them wisely.
Sign a FA QB.

Dallas trades for Stafford, then Prescott is free to sign with San Fran and San Fran cuts jimmy, who promptly signs with us on an incentive laden deal!

in addition, we resign wr Byrd and then sign wr Samuel of Carolina and wr Higgins of Cleveland in the offseason so jimmy has someone to throw to.

Can we stop acting like Stidham has shown any sort of evidence that he can be a competent starter in this league, or even a competent second string?

And Mac Jones is fat
Stafford is a bit of a fatty too.

Jimmy Garoppolo
  • 24-8 record as a starter
  • 98.9 passer rating
  • 67.5% comp pct.
2017 - 5-0 record with Marquise Goodwin as WR1
2018 - 1-2 record with Kendrick Bourne as WR1
2019 - 13-3 record with rookie Deebo Samuel as WR1

In the 1.5 games with the pats he threw for 4 TDs & had a 113.3 passer rating. Gronk wasn't active either.

Getting Garoppolo back for minimal draft capital would be a bailout. His quick release & accuracy always fit the pats offense.
I just don't get why so many on here want him back. His injury history speaks for itself, so if we're bringing him back to be "the guy" for the next few years, we better also bring in a decent backup that isn't called Stidham/Hoyer.

His one good season with SF you could argue he was the weak link. Got through the playoffs handing the ball off then when it was placed in his hands in the SB threw 2 INTs and came up short (or too long) on the Sanders play when they needed him most.

The same people saying Stafford isn't clutch and won't win us games late in the 4th, where the hell do you get the idea that Jimmy G will?

Last edited:
People poop on Jimmy G so bad. Yes, his injury history is not good.
But, everyone gets a pass for the assumed ACL injury per NFL player.
His first and only full season (after 2 partials in SF) he did this:
13-3 - 69% completion - 4000yds - 27TD - 13INT - and 10min away from a SB win.

At 29, I think he can still provide a well-coached, and complimentary football team a solid QB with a chance to win.

I think hes just not a good fit for shannahans offense. Jimmy is an accurate short/intermediate passer gets the ball out of his hand quick and accurately. That fits the patriots offense perfectly

but Shanahan wants to do what he did in Atlants super bowl year (minus the loss). deep shots offense.
I just don't get why so many on here want him back. His injury history speaks for itself, so if we're bringing him back to be "the guy" for the next few years, we better also bring in a decent backup that isn't called Stidham/Hoyer.

His one good season with SF you could argue he was the weak link. Got through the playoffs handing the ball off then when it was placed in his hands in the SB threw 2 INTs and came up short (or too long) on the Sanders play when they needed him most.

The same people saying Stafford isn't clutch and won't win us games late in the 4th, where the hell do you get the idea that Jimmy G will?

I personally just think that Jimmy fits the Patriots offense like a glove. I think if Bill brought him back and got some weapons he would look like he did in 2016

He hasn't been a good fit for shanahans offense.

I personally just think that Jimmy fits the Patriots offense like a glove. I think if Bill brought him back and got some weapons he would look like he did in 2016

He hasn't been a good fit for shanahans offense.
A glove that rips easily and won't keep your hand warm all winter.

I was listening to Bill Polian (yes, I know he is a douche, but you can not dismiss his creds when it comes to being a GM) on Siruis yesterday and he made some great points about Stafford. He says that when you are considering a guy in FA you only look at the last two years, anything before that is ancient history. So he put Staffords numbers up against Ryan, and Kurt Cousins and Stafford had the worst year. He doesn't think anyone is going to give the Lions anything above a late second, third rd pick for Stafford. Polian says you need a QBR of over 100 to make the playoffs and all three (Stafford, Ryan, and Cousins) were in the 90s.

I agree with Polian, none of these guys are turning the Pats around, he says any of them would make a decent bridge QB if you have someone you are looking to draft to be your starting QB.

Niether Ryan nor Stafford are worth a first rounder at this point. Ryan's contract is bascially uncuttable and untradable for 2022 and he is 36.

Stafford is 32, coming off a back injury, he is signed through 2022, has a $33 million dollar cap charge for 2021 with a $10 million dollar roster bonus due on 3/17/2021 and again on 3/17/2022. The Lions are going to cut him, they might trade him if he agrees to restructure his contract. But the Lions save $14 in cap space and $20,000,000 in actual dollars if they cut him.

Once he is cut, then the Pats can look into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News