PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sportsline.com camp tour: New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has become almost bromidic to say that Belichick possesses a Bunyanesque legend.
Dear Lord man, step away from the thesaurus.

Dear Lord man, step away from the thesaurus.
He did get a tad florid with his prose, but at least he had fun!
You would have an easier time finding working brain cells in the frontal lobe of Lindsey Lohan than getting details on Belichick's contract status.

These are the moments when the man I believe to be the best coach in the history of professional football looks like he would rather be kicked in the scrotum.

That just speaks for itself.

I hate to be the one to bring this up again, because I was pretty comfortable that the rumors of BB leaving were just that - rumors, but did anyone else find this paragraph troubling?

Several NFL sources with knowledge of the situation say Belichick has grown extremely irritated with the intense and mostly recent scrutiny of his personal life by some in the Boston media after Belichick's name surfaced in an extremely nasty divorce case last year. It has made him reconsider, these sources say, his long-term future in New England.

That's the first I've heard of the media scrutiny angle. Of course where I live I don't hear all the local broadcast and other non-Internet local media. Does it make sense to you guys?

Of course, if he doesn't like the Boston media he certainly won't like it in New York, (which is where many of the rumors were speculating he was going.)

I hate to be the one to bring this up again, because I was pretty comfortable that the rumors of BB leaving were just that - rumors, but did anyone else find this paragraph troubling?

That's the first I've heard of the media scrutiny angle. Of course where I live I don't hear all the local broadcast and other non-Internet local media. Does it make sense to you guys?

Of course, if he doesn't like the Boston media he certainly won't like it in New York, (which is where many of the rumors were speculating he was going.)

And it was NY/NJ tabloids that generated most of the rumors...

What was it he said just the other day...oh yeah, he's quite comfortable here and doesn't forsee that changing for some time...

But then, that's just him saying it, not several anonymous league sources who have somehow deluded themselves into thinking (or attempt to flatter themselves by projecting to the media) they have knowledge of a situation involving a guy who keeps his personal feelings and business to himself...

I'm sure he's a tad miffed at a couple of mediots in this town. As well he should be given his accomplishments have feathered more than a few of their career nests. But he knows, as his QB is discovering, that it's not really any easier to blend into the woodwork in NY these days. I think teams like the Giants have fed this wishful perception that he somehow yearns to return to their midst as a means to keep the hounds at bay as the mess they are making in the Meadowlands just gets uglier.

But then, that's just him saying it, not several anonymous league sources who have somehow deluded themselves into thinking (or attempt to flatter themselves by projecting to the media) they have knowledge of a situation involving a guy who keeps his personal feelings and business to himself...
Are you seriously giving BB the edge in credibility in this situation? He is famously taciturn with the media to begin with, and any coach with half a brain who was thinking of leaving certainly wouldn't come right out and say so at this point in the season. Look at Nick Saban, BB's friend, and his 11th hour disingenious pronouncements. Then look at Tiki Barber, a player not a coach, who nonetheless took a boatload of (total undeserved, IMHO) crap because he announced at the beginning of last season that it would be his last.

On the other side, it's not the writer saying it, its "several NFL sources with knowledge of the situation." That means people who have given the reporter information but don't want their names used. If the reporter has any integrity at all, these sources are probably quite credible.

If you read his Patriots:five things to know captioned in this ad, this is telling:

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10275480

5. I know, I know -- I have a man-crush on Belichick. But please let me explain. Belichick is the best coach in league history because he has done something which should be impossible: win multiple championships in the salary-cap era. Yet he is the best for other reasons. First: He won Super Bowls in the free-agent era. Greats like Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown and Chuck Noll, among others, were able to keep their teams together because of the lack of a salary cap and more restrictive free-agent rules. Second: Belichick has been able to deal with the bad boy athlete as well as any coach in the modern era. Though there are exceptions, players in the Lombardi and Brown eras, and even into the Noll dynasties, mostly respected authority. The coach said jump and the player asked how high? Today, in the era of Belichick, a coach says jump, and the player says "f--- off. I don't do jumping." So Belichick has mastered playing under a salary cap, won championships despite the ravages of free agency and gotten the me-athlete to listen. Also, no coach with the exception of Brown, the late Bill Walsh and maybe one other coach in history has been more innovative than Belichick. Some of his defensive schemes in Super Bowls both as a head coach and defensive coordinator are legendary. Thus my top five head coaches of all time (and this list changes on occasion): Belichick, Brown, Lombardi, Walsh and Noll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back