PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Somewhat OT: Instead of DeflateGate, should we be calling this BSPNgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSPF

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
At this point, it's obvious that ESPN and the sports media at large completely missed on this one. They swung before the ball even left the pitcher's hand! While in the past ESPN has shown a clear contempt for and willingness to "push the limits" on the rules of journalism, this might be one of the most blatant and egregious examples in the history of sports. Let's face it: ESPN was caught with their pants down on this one. Even now they are attempting to backtrack: Their headline for the lastest Belichick press conference is "I'm not a scientist." They are in full damage control mode, but they are only making it worse.

It is clear that around ESPN there is a a certain "Culture of Lying" that has developed over the years-I don't think anyone would dispute that. At this point, all of their attempts to minimize and deflect on this story are falling short. All of the facts weren't out when they released their reports, but the real issue here is one of journalistic integrity. Their attempts to "stretch the rules" of journalism are clearly an attempt to give them an advantage over their competitors. ESPN apologists may claim "everybody does it" in order to reduce the blaim on their organization, but in reality this is just a sad attempt to make this better. There have been so many bizarre scandals with this news source, moving forward we should just start exclusively referring to them as BSPN.

So real the only question that remains is, what will their punishment be? Sadly, BSPN is "too big to fail", and it is unlikely that viewers and readers will curtail their consumption of BSPN content in the face of the clear contempt for the rules, and the intelligence of the American public. This fact may only prove BSPN right, and prove that cheaters really do always win.

Yuo mean "FESPN", right.

I will say this right here and now: At the FESPN hq, the editors are sitting in their offices. "They HATE their reporters! The HATE their reporters!". :cool:

Defame Gate

This is pure Slandergate, that is what it is.

BSpn. Not just them. 90% of the "journalists" (and I use that word loosely), are out to smear the Pats at any cost. "Integrity of the game?" Please. How about irresponsible reporting.? No "integrity in journalism". It's shameful, and I expect there will be a lot of people looking like a holes. But now they will just try to spin it to look relevant. This going to turn out looking just as I suspected. Ravens and Colts cheating!!

Well, we all certainly know now, with respect (and in some cases, "disrespect") to the media and/or former/current players, who Patriot Nations' friends are and who are scuzzbuckets, douchenozzles and azzhats!!!

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Lost a lot of respect for ESPN after that absolute farce they called a "special report" for the spygate/Rams walkthough tape controversy...and they later admitted they had nothing to report and were trying to egg on people to accuse the Pats of cheating...

Watch this slanderous segment where Mark Brunell and Jerome Bettis test three balls and they act like it obvious that they were under inflated and it was definite difference when Brunell threw, but if you watch them they both try to squeeze the ball by pressing in their thumbs together (like they were giving the ball CPR) to see which one has more give. I guarantee you neither could tell the difference otherwise and Brunell acted like he could tell the difference by just throwing it. It is utter BS. What QB is trying to squeeze the football to see how much give.

It is a total manufactured segment by ESPN because it is clear they are lying about how they determined which ball is which. They even go as far to tell it is obvious to tell which one is under inflated, but harder to tell which one is over inflated. If it is so easy to tell, why did Brunell have to repeatedly squeeze the football before throwing it?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12206777

I wish someone would challenge Brunell to that again, but just take the ball and throw it. I guarantee you he couldn't tell the difference.

BTW, several other news sources have done similar tests and said the opposite:

From MMQB:

Again, from our informal test, diff between 12.5 and 10.5 psi is practically imperceptible. 10.5 definitely not soft.

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/558376245105549312

From Rich Eisen:

As Brady is saying, you can not tell the difference between a 13.5 PSI ball and a 10.5 PSI ball. We did that on my show. I couldn't tell.

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/558378412507537409

Last edited:
Yuo mean "FESPN", right.

I will say this right here and now: At the FESPN hq, the editors are sitting in their offices. "They HATE their reporters! The HATE their reporters!". :cool:

Erroneous
Scandals
Promoted
Nightly

For some time I have asked myself why the NFLN and ESPN seem to employ only on air personalities who have consistently lost to NE and seem to hate them. Being a little slow on the trigger, it finally dawned on me: every team has consistently lost to NE so there's no other pool to draw from.

Watch this slanderous segment where Mark Brunell and Jerome Bettis test three balls and they act like it obvious that they were under inflated and it was definite difference when Brunell threw, but if you watch them they both try to squeeze the ball by pressing in their thumbs together (like they were giving the ball CPR) to see which one has more give. I guarantee you neither could tell the difference otherwise and Brunell acted like he could tell the difference by just throwing it. It is utter BS. What QB is trying to squeeze the football to see how much give.

It is a total manufactured segment by ESPN because it is clear they are lying about how they determined which ball is which. They even go as far to tell it is obvious to tell which one is under inflated, but harder to tell which one is over inflated. If it is so easy to tell, why did Brunell have to repeatedly squeeze the football before throwing it?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12206777

I wish someone would challenge Brunell to that again, but just take the ball and throw it. I guarantee you he couldn't tell the difference.

BTW, several other news sources have done similar tests and said the opposite:

From MMQB:

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/558376245105549312

From Rich Eisen:

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/558378412507537409
I saw that piece with Bettis and Brunnell. It was a joke. Brunnell: "Oh yea, I feel I can throw it further" . What? You feel you can throw it further without actually throwing it? It's scientific fact that a less inflated ball travels less distance. What a joke. 2 guys (Pitt and Jets) catching a ball in a studio, 10 ft away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes