PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Soloman: Pats like Jackson and Huff

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...creening_process_has_some_holes_in_it/?page=3

Movin' on up
If you like discussing draft trades, here's a logical one involving the Patriots. Baltimore holds the No. 13 pick, but with only two picks among the first 110 (none in the third round), it is likely to trade down for an extra selection unless Vince Young falls into its lap. The Patriots, with the 21st overall selection and a pair of third- and fourth-round choices (six picks among the first 118), are in a good position to move up to the Ravens' slot. ''From 21, you're not going to be able to get into the top 10, but you could move up a couple of spots, but then from that point on, you would have pretty good flexibility if you wanted to move forward, if you wanted to package picks together," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. The question is, whom would the Patriots move up for? Receiver Chad Jackson of Florida, the No. 1 wideout in the draft, could be had at 13. Would the Patriots want to pay an average of $2.5 million a year for a rookie receiver with Deion Branch's contract being renegotiated? Following the industry-accepted trade chart, New England would have to give up the higher of its two third-round picks (No. 75 overall) to jump into the top 15, ahead of the Broncos, who are interested in Jackson. The Ravens are looking to deal and might accept the offer, though by the chart the Patriots would be getting a slight edge in the trade. ''Yes, we could be enticed to move that pick before we get to the 13th," Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome said. ''Our trade-down scenario is always if there are three or four guys we really like, and we have an opportunity to move back and still get one of those guys, plus add an additional pick -- again, from an organizational standpoint -- that is the right thing to do." If the Patriots are even more adventurous, as Belichick explained, they could take the Ravens' pick and package it with their second third-rounder (86th overall) to jump into the top 10, where Texas defensive back Michael Huff might be an option. Anything could happen on Draft Day, but expect the Patriots to be involved in a couple of trades to get the players they most like. Jackson and Huff are on that list, but it'll take some maneuvering to get either one.
Continued...

If we got Huff I would go crazy..kid is a great player..just needs to work on takcling a little bit because I think he tackles too high but hes a classy guy and a great ball player

We might get Huff for the equivalent of our 1,2,the top 3 and the top 4.

Remix 6 said:
If we got Huff I would go crazy..kid is a great player..just needs to work on takcling a little bit because I think he tackles too high but hes a classy guy and a great ball player

I am sure they like Huff and Jackson..but does that mean a move up??? I don't think so..possibly..but I see a move MORE for Huff than Jackson and if they went that route..maybe giving up a LOT..maybe too much. A LOT of smoke in all of this..will be interesting to see what they do...who they draft.
There are needs...and lesser ones..so..we may see by what they do what they think of the players already ON the roster. ...AND we have 3 redshirted from last year...injured..Britt, McGrew and Claridge...

Unfortunately Huff will probably to a little too expensive to trade for. And Jackson may not be worth trading for.

All right then, I guess we can cross off both huff and jackson off the list;) .

:D

trade 21 and top 3 for 13....

trade 13 and 2nd rounder for a pick ahead of the lions....

1. Michael Huff

3. Martin Nance
4. Fred Matua
4. Jeff Webb
5. Kai Parham
6. Steve Fifita
6. Dwayne Slay
6. Josh Houston
7. Quinn Sypniewski

Micheal Huff=Ed Reed

I would love this kid in a pats uni

Ellis Hobbs and the 13th pick overall for the 64th pick in the 2005 draft and the 21st is what the trade would basically be if we dealt with the Ravens.

Huff comes from the land of BIg Busts - Texas. He is such a sure thing that he scares me just a bit. If he is as good as Ed Reed, is he worth the picks needed to get up and get him? If the news reported that we just traded our first round, second round, and third round pick for Ed Reed - who has already proven that he is the real thing - I think most of us would groan because we had paid way too much...

Last edited:
If the news reported that we just traded our first round, second round, and third round pick for Ed Reed - who has already proven that he is the real thing - I think most of us would groan because we had paid way too much...

well...yeah, he older, needs a new contract, and already has wear and tear

huff is younger, will be locked up for 7 years, and has the potential to be better then reed

As much as I like 3rd and 4th round picks, moving from 21 to 13 is not "way too expensive" as everyone seems to think.

Lots of 3rd and 4th rounders turn into good players - true. But do you really need me to start listing the all the picks in the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd rounds that haven't worked out under Belicheck?

Drafting is not an exact science and if there's someone who the Pats covet, who is more better fit, better talent, and addresses a more compelling need, an 8 spot jump won't break the draft bank.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
Would you?would you really?

I'm guessing he would. Was there something unclear about his post?

JoeSixPat said:
No, BradyBirdYazOrr is just the village idiot.

JoeSixPat said:
I thought those nifty little posts of his would stop once he hit his obvious goal of posting enough useless crap to reach his coveted "Senior Member" status (which in another thread he claims means we can't call him a newb anymore :rolleyes: ). Apparently I was wrong and the diarrhea of the keyboard continues.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I thought those nifty little posts of his would stop once he hit his obvious goal of posting enough useless crap to reach his coveted "Senior Member" status (which in another thread he claims means we can't call him a newb anymore :rolleyes: ). Apparently I was wrong and the diarrhea of the keyboard continues.

lol

by my count if the guy just registered this month, he is still a newbie

patsfan55 said:
lol

by my count if the guy just registered this month, he is still a newbie

Actually, he's made it clear that he's not a newbie because he's been lurking here for a few years... I guess he just had nothing meaningful to say or add for those years.

I guess some things never change. Frankly I think he's a high school Jets troll who had time on his hands during vacation this week, just trying to "act" the part of a Pats fan but really just here to get folks worked up.

In any event, if Huff is, as patsfan55 suggests, the second coming of Ed Reed, count me among those who would be very pleased. Guys like Reed and Harrison who have recievers fearing for their lives are worth their weight in gold.

I'd be happy with Jackson as well, but I'm beginning to feel like he might slide as well - and that they will have a shot at one of the top 2 WRs even if they hold at 21.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Lots of 3rd and 4th rounders turn into good players - true. But do you really need me to start listing the all the picks in the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd rounds that haven't worked out under Belicheck?
If you leave out 2000, when Belichick and Pioli had little time to develope their draft effort, and start with 2001, ALL of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks are still on the roster and 9 or 11 of them are starters out of 14 picks. When you get to the 4th round, it drops off - just 4 out of 9 still with the team. But Jarvis Green and Asante Samuel are pretty important players for the Pats. The Pats are doing exceptionally well with their 1st thru 3rd round picks and pretty decent with the 4th round.

!st round: ALL 6 on the team and ALL starters: Seymour, Warren, Graham, Wilfork, Watson, Mankins.

2nd round: ALL 5 on the team and 3 starters: Wilson, Branch, Light and Bethel Johnson and Marquise Hill.

3rd round: Only 4 picks but 3 are still on the team. Potentially two starters in the future: Hobbs, Kaczur, and Gus Scott. Obviously Hobbs and Kaczur were starters with the injuries last year. Brock Williams no longer on roster.

4th round: Gets MUCH more problematic. That's why I say rounds 1 thru 3 are so crucial. Only 4 out of 9 still on the roster - less than 50%. But, 4th round is still important. Jarvis Green and Asante Samuel are important players. Klecko and Sanders are perhaps borderline - but there have been any number of borderline players who became really important contributors later. Players who didn't work out: Davey, Cobb, Holloway, Kenyatta Jones, and Reid.

Edit: Thanks to Crazy Patriot Guy - corrected 3rd round - Brock Williams was drafted in 2001 and I had missed him.

Edit: Thanks to PatsFan37 - corrected 1st round - had listed Graham twice and left out Mankins - duhhh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back