PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau Expected to Re-Sign With Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is great news. The difference in the run D after he went down was immediate, and noticeable. And while injuries are always a possibility, it might in some ways be less likely since he had the broken bone last year. Law of averages, you know. Cool.

IF, IF he can stay healthy I love this signing, but this guy can't do it. So lets hope for the best.

I'm guessing he and Bruschi will take spills at ILB with Vrabel being the full-time guy. We're still not stacked, ebcause one big injury and suddenly we have a hole. Then again, expecting to have quality depth at every roster spot is like expecting to be given a million bucks.

IF, IF he can stay healthy I love this signing, but this guy can't do it. So lets hope for the best.

I'm guessing he and Bruschi will take spills at ILB with Vrabel being the full-time guy. We're still not stacked, ebcause one big injury and suddenly we have a hole. Then again, expecting to have quality depth at every roster spot is like expecting to be given a million bucks.

How would one injury cause a hole?

How would one injury cause a hole?

If Thomas goes down, vrabel who has clearly lost a step is forced on the outside. Then, we have two guys in Buschi and seau who are bot old and one who is unable to stay on the field for 16 games. You can look at it all with colored glasses all you want, but this LB aint what it once was. Re-signing a dinosaur does not make it that great either. If everyone can stay healthy, they'll be solid but your ****** nuts if you think this unit is anything clsoe to deep.

That is great news. The difference in the run D after he went down was immediate, and noticeable. And while injuries are always a possibility, it might in some ways be less likely since he had the broken bone last year. Law of averages, you know. Cool.

I'll worry about the future later, we are ready to roll this year.

(You're kidding about that law of averages I hope.)

Without having acquired another talented young LB, this is as good as we could hope for for now. Seau is better thananything we can expect from the waiver wire.

We start with 5 quality linebackers for 4 spots. The problem the end of last year is we had 3 for 4 spots and that doesn't cut it.

Hopefully they'll start stashing LBs on the PS and injured lists and that will be the way they go forward untilthe next major F.A. signing.

It's obvious they don't prefer to fill this position in the draft.

If Thomas goes down, vrabel who has clearly lost a step is forced on the outside.

Vrabel has "clearly" lost a step? I don't think that's true.

Most of us wanted Vrabel on the outside for this year. He is less suited to play inside.

BionicPatriot said:
Then, we have two guys in Buschi and seau who are bot old and one who is unable to stay on the field for 16 games.

Seau's broken arm was a freak injury. I wouldn't call him injury prone because of it.

Yes, they're old. What are the Pats supposed to do? Stock the roster with young players behind them? That's what they've done, and it won't help.

BionicPatriot said:
You can look at it all with colored glasses all you want, but this LB aint what it once was. Re-signing a dinosaur does not make it that great either. If everyone can stay healthy, they'll be solid but your ****** nuts if you think this unit is anything clsoe to deep.

Phifer and Johnson weren't dinosaurs in their final years? McGinest hadn't lost a step by 2005? Give me a break.

Colvin is 10x as good the player he was injured in 2003 and 2x the player he was rehabbing in 2004.

I'll take the 2004 Bruschi over the 2007 Bruschi, sure. But the 2004 and the 2007 Vrabel are very even. The 2004 Colvin isn't anything like the 2007 Colvin. The 2007 Thomas will be better than the 2004 McGinest. The 2007 Seau is every bit as good as the 2004 Johnson or Phifer.

The 2004 unit was beyond deep. It was utterly dominant. But in 2003, does Matt Chatham starting ring a bell? There was NO depth on the outside. Johnson was sparsely used inside.

The 2004 unit's backups were a very raw Banta-Cain, Chatham, Izzo, Davis, and Alexander for a few weeks.

The 2007 unit's backups will be an improving Woods and Alexander, Izzo, Mays, Rogers, and probably Lua.

Those two units are very, very comparable. One is much younger than the other. And don't complain about that, because you just went on about how the Pats are too old there.

If you think the Patriots don't have depth at LB right now, I'm very curious to see what you think depth is. Who do you want the Pats to get? Spikes? Urlacher? Briggs?

If Thomas goes down, vrabel who has clearly lost a step is forced on the outside. Then, we have two guys in Buschi and seau who are bot old and one who is unable to stay on the field for 16 games. You can look at it all with colored glasses all you want, but this LB aint what it once was. Re-signing a dinosaur does not make it that great either. If everyone can stay healthy, they'll be solid but your ****** nuts if you think this unit is anything clsoe to deep.

Vrabel has not clearly lost a step. He's still relatively young for a Patriots linebacker, and I'm not just talking this year, I'm talking throughout the whole dynasty. The Patriots have always emplyed older linebackers. Johnson, McGinest, Cox, and Phifer all played at high levels at us when they were ancient. This is what the Patriots do when it comes to linebackers. They like age because is equals experience and knowledge, which is what playing linebacker in this defense takes.

thats awesome news was hoping he would come back to get a ring. Everyone wants a bling bling woohoo!

Last edited:
A good stop gap measure. Seau proved last year he could play the

Pats' system. Hopefully, they can groom Alexander, Lua, Mays, or

Warren as a long term replacement.

Magnificent news, hope it's true.

This is heresy, but after Seau's impressive performance last year there's something in the back of my mind wondering if Seau might nudge out Bruschi for a spot among the top 4 LBs. In any case, a rotation would be fantastic.

I don't think he will nudge Bruschi out, but I do think they will be greater for that spot rotating and it will help keep them both fresh... I'm so thrilled that he will be coming back, he did do great last year... Age is but number when you are still putting out on the football field...

Vrabel has "clearly" lost a step? I don't think that's true.

Most of us wanted Vrabel on the outside for this year. He is less suited to play inside.

If you think Vrabel would rack up the same numbers of sacks he did in 03/04, I'll bet anything he wont. You don't put an old slow LB on the outside.

Seau's broken arm was a freak injury. I wouldn't call him injury prone because of it.

I'm not even talking about last year. Do you realize that every single season since 03 he ahs been injured? I don't know why your even bringing this up

Yes, they're old. What are the Pats supposed to do? Stock the roster with young players behind them? That's what they've done, and it won't help.

You wont find me playing wanna-be GM. I'd have liked the grab a guy like Harris, but who the hell knows. All I'm saying is we have an old unit.

Phifer and Johnson weren't dinosaurs in their final years? McGinest hadn't lost a step by 2005? Give me a break.

Um, do your research next time. Both Jonhosn and Phifer were role players for us. Bruschi and Seau are all day every day for us. We don't have situation LBs like that anymore.

Colvin is 10x as good the player he was injured in 2003 and 2x the player he was rehabbing in 2004.

Wow, I like being positive but this is plain homerism. Colvin is good, but he's not close to the playmaker McGinest was for us.

I'll take the 2004 Bruschi over the 2007 Bruschi, sure. But the 2004 and the 2007 Vrabel are very even. The 2004 Colvin isn't anything like the 2007 Colvin. The 2007 Thomas will be better than the 2004 McGinest. The 2007 Seau is every bit as good as the 2004 Johnson or Phifer.

Vrabel even? Bull****. There's no way in hell Vrabel would touch the sack numbers he had those years. Don't even tell me it's because he was forced inside, because he still is not the same rusher on the outside. Again, Colvin is not an all-pro so stop beating that drum. I think Thomas is a beast, but we'll see. Again, you can't compare Seau to Johnson or Phifer. Both of them were situational players, coming in for situations. For instance, Johnson played a large part against the Steelers, Phifer was our cover guy against the Colts. If you think we're that deep your insane.

The 2004 unit was beyond deep. It was utterly dominant. But in 2003, does Matt Chatham starting ring a bell? There was NO depth on the outside. Johnson was sparsely used inside.

Thats actually funny, I forgot he started for us at a point. But Vrabel came back rather quickly, remmeber when he came back with his 3 sack performance? Again, if we have one injury we can be up for some trouble. All depending on the injury, ofcourse.

The 2004 unit's backups were a very raw Banta-Cain, Chatham, Izzo, Davis, and Alexander for a few weeks.

Your right, we werent a great depth team in 04. BUT, I'll take that Pats LB core 7 days a week and twice on sunday over the one we have now. That was McGinest's last good day, Vrabel younger, pre-stroke Bruschi. C'mon, this is ridiculous for you to argue.

The 2007 unit's backups will be an improving Woods and Alexander, Izzo, Mays, Rogers, and probably Lua.

Your the only one I guess who has confidence if they have to step up for us seriously.

Those two units are very, very comparable. One is much younger than the other. And don't complain about that, because you just went on about how the Pats are too old there.

I don't care about backups, my whole argument was that the LB core is not as good as it was because of starters. I only brought up depth to point out how ****** we'd be if someone is seriously injured.

If you think the Patriots don't have depth at LB right now, I'm very curious to see what you think depth is. Who do you want the Pats to get? Spikes? Urlacher? Briggs?

Ted Johnson, Phifer. Solid, not great role playing LBs. THATS depth. But you don't understand that to much obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lua was talking about getting to play with Buschi, Vrabel, and hopefully Seau, so now it seems maybe he'll get his wish.

And people thought I was kidding when I said 2 weeks ago that Seau was talking about continuing playings....

Gotta love having family in San Diego...

At the end of last season Seau said he'd like to play another year.

Um, do your research next time. Both Jonhosn and Phifer were role players for us. Bruschi and Seau are all day every day for us. We don't have situation LBs like that anymore.
Apparently...you are the one who has to do research..Johnson a role player?? In what way was Johnson a role player and Seau not??

Some fans in SD are going to have an aneurysm when they try to comprehend why a favorite son like Seau still wants to "graduate" with a "no class" organization like the Patriots.

If you think Vrabel would rack up the same numbers of sacks he did in 03/04, I'll bet anything he wont. You don't put an old slow LB on the outside.

Vrabel is 32. He has not "clearly" lost a step.

Of course he won't rack up the same sack totals he did in 2003 or 2004. Why? If he goes back outside, he'd be in a rotation with friggin' Adalius Thomas and Rosevelt Colvin, who have been some of the best sack OLBs in the last few years.

You are sorely overestimating Vrabel's age.

BionicPatriot said:
I'm not even talking about last year. Do you realize that every single season since 03 he ahs been injured? I don't know why your even bringing this up

He's not going to be called upon to be a starter again! He was great with the Pats last year. There's nothing to suggest he's fallen off the face of the Earth since last November. As a situational run-stuffer, he should be excellent. If you're complaining about injuries to a situational player, that's not my problem.

BionicPatriot said:
You wont find me playing wanna-be GM. I'd have liked the grab a guy like Harris, but who the hell knows. All I'm saying is we have an old unit.

When have the Pats not had an old unit?

They are near-perfectly set right now. They have proven veterans as starters and a well-stocked shelf of developmental young players in-waiting. They DID not have that 3 or 4 years ago.

Don't you think the Pats passed on Harris for a reason? The fact that we as fans know a certain player and want our team to draft him means nothing.

BionicPatriot said:

No crap! What do you think Seau will be next year? A ROLE PLAYER!

It's simple math, actually:

3 ILBs for 2 ILB spots. Last time I checked, that's a rotation. Last time I checked, players in rotations are role players.

If you think Seau will start full-time (barring unforeseen circumstances), you are sorely mistaken.

BionicPatriot said:
Wow, I like being positive but this is plain homerism.

Oh, stop it. I'm sick of reading this. PATSNUTme can attest. He's written page-long posts on why calling someone a "homer" makes no sense.

BionicPatriot said:
Colvin is good, but he's not close to the playmaker McGinest was for us.

I'm not comparing the two. Can you read? I'm saying that Colvin is NOT the same player he was(n't) in 2003 or 2004, when he was injured.

Colvin has had at least 7 sacks per season since being 100% recovered from his injury. McGinest has only eclipsed 7 sacks per season 4 times - 1995, 1996, 1999, and 2004. Your comparison would be true if the calendar still read 1997, but McGinest has been nowhere near the same player he was in his early years.

I still don't understand why Colvin is ignored by Patriots fans. He was 8th among NFL LBs in sacks last year. He was 8th among NFL LBs in sacks in 2005.

BionicPatriot said:
Vrabel even? Bull****. There's no way in hell Vrabel would touch the sack numbers he had those years.

2003? Probably not. But he was only 1 sack shy of his 2004 performance in 2005 and 2006, and that was with significant time at ILB.

I'm telling you, I've watched tape of Vrabel. BB has put him at DE in the nickel package for a reason, and he hasn't disappointed.

BionicPatriot said:
Don't even tell me it's because he was forced inside, because he still is not the same rusher on the outside.

How do you know? Vrabel hasn't played full-time at OLB since 2004.

What are you basing these assumptions on?

BionicPatriot said:
Again, Colvin is not an all-pro so stop beating that drum.

He's certainly a borderline Pro Bowler. Certainly in the top-15 OLBs in the NFL.

BionicPatriot said:
I think Thomas is a beast, but we'll see.

Pessimistic much? Thomas has only gotten better and better.

BionicPatriot said:
Again, you can't compare Seau to Johnson or Phifer. Both of them were situational players, coming in for situations. For instance, Johnson played a large part against the Steelers, Phifer was our cover guy against the Colts. If you think we're that deep your insane.

Please answer this question for me:

If Colvin and Thomas play full-time at OLB (drool), and Vrabel plays full-time at ILB, and Bruschi and Seau play situationally at ILB, how is that any different from what you just described?

The only difference I can think of is the cover-guy. Thomas would be much more suited for that (hell, he's lined up as a CB against Chad Johnson). Against the Colts, Thomas could start at ILB with Seau or Bruschi, and then Colvin and Vrabel would be outside. That's a damn friggin' nice lineup, wouldn't you say?

BionicPatriot said:
Thats actually funny, I forgot he started for us at a point. But Vrabel came back rather quickly, remmeber when he came back with his 3 sack performance? Again, if we have one injury we can be up for some trouble. All depending on the injury, ofcourse.

How would one injury cause trouble? If it's at OLB, Vrabel moves back to his natural position. If it's at ILB, the 3rd man steps in full-time. That 3rd man would likely be Bruschi or Seau, who were both beyond adequate starting full-time last year.

BionicPatriot said:
Your right, we werent a great depth team in 04. BUT, I'll take that Pats LB core 7 days a week and twice on sunday over the one we have now. That was McGinest's last good day, Vrabel younger, pre-stroke Bruschi. C'mon, this is ridiculous for you to argue.

Thomas replaces McGinest, and then some. Vrabel being younger is moot. There hasn't been anything to suggest he's slowed down considerably - that's a figure of your imagination, and yours only. View other posts in this thread for confirmation.

Bruschi's difference is noticeable, but still not significant. And we still don't know anything about the rookies. What if, like Givens in 2002, Rogers or Lua step in and are able to contribute to that core 7?

It is by no means ridiculous. Personally, I think you are:

(A) Underestimating the impact of Thomas.
(B) Overestimating the demise of Vrabel.
(C) Overestimating the demise of Bruschi.
(D) Overestimating the contributions of Phifer and Johnson.
(E) Completely underestimating Colvin.
(F) Ignoring Seau's likely role in 2007.

BionicPatriot said:
Your the only one I guess who has confidence if they have to step up for us seriously.

Nobody is asking them to make any significant contributions to the 2007 New England Patriots.

But I can't believe how you are complaining about the age of the LBs in the same breath as you are complaining about the uncertainty of the young LBs.

BionicPatriot said:
I don't care about backups, my whole argument was that the LB core is not as good as it was because of starters. I only brought up depth to point out how ****** we'd be if someone is seriously injured.

The difference is marginal.

BionicPatriot said:
Ted Johnson, Phifer. Solid, not great role playing LBs. THATS depth. But you don't understand that to much obviously.

Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau. Solid, not great role playing LBs. THATS depth.

I look forward to Jr's return ! The guy has a serious motor !

Apparently...you are the one who has to do research..Johnson a role player?? In what way was Johnson a role player and Seau not??

Thank you. I can't believe how hypocritical he is being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes