Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
so u can scrap him from your wish list

obviously this isnt over yet, since he is a rfa, and its only an offer sheet
we'll hafta wait and see if they end up getting him or not

IS THIS PAYBACK TO MINNY FOR GETTING HUTCHINSON THE WAY THEY DID!?!

patsfan55 said:
so u can scrap him from your wish list

obviously this isnt over yet, since he is a rfa, and its only an offer sheet
we'll hafta wait and see if they end up getting him or not

Payback is a b***....yes absolutely...there was talk that they were going to do it..and..NO surprise!!

Last edited:
That's a lot of receivers in Seattle!

I like Burleson, but he doesn't justify that kind of contract. Minnesota should decline to match. This will come back to bite Seattle in the ass.

patsfan55 said:
I haven't seen the numbers on the offer but making a big offer out of spite is not the way to run an NFL team . . .

BelichickFan said:
I haven't seen the numbers on the offer
Here they are :

"the Seattle Seahawks' offer sheet to Minnesota Vikings WR Nate Burleson is a seven-year, $49 million deal with $5.25 million guaranteed. The deal also includes two poison pills guaranteeing the entire $49 million if he plays a certain number of games in the state of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team."

The bonus isn't huge but the anual amount is, I wonder how backloaded the salaries are. You see, guys, this is why we're out of the market right now . . . it's nuts.

This is an absolutely terrible offer predicated entirely on vengance and not on sound football judgement. I honestly expected better decision making out of the Seattle franchise. First to transition Hutchinson and not franchise him, then to give Julian Peterson $10 million gaurenteed, and now this? Awful.

This has been a trying offseason, but God, I'm happy I'm not a Seahawks fan.

stinkypete said:
This is an absolutely terrible offer predicated entirely on vengance and not on sound football judgement. I honestly expected better decision making out of the Seattle franchise. First to transition Hutchinson and not franchise him, then to give Julian Peterson $10 million gaurenteed, and now this? Awful.

This has been a trying offseason, but God, I'm happy I'm not a Seahawks fan.

I think you misunderstand the nature of the contract. For the Hawks only like $12.5MM is guaranteed. But they made a mockery of the poison pill loophole the Vikings used to screw the Hawks out of Hutchinson but making the entire contract guaranteed for the Vikings (with the bit about a certain # of games played in Minnasosta making the contract guaratanteed).

So the Hakws basically made the guaranteed portion of the contract outlandish so Minny wouldn't even consider matching it.

I think its genius on part of Seattle as they have exposed the RFA process for the shame that it is.

What is to stop the Pats from now not giving Josh Brown an outlandish contract with a huge final year and saying if he plays X # of games in the tate of Washington it will be guaranteed??

With the Pats never havign any intention of paying that final year, in essence making the rest of the contract "normal."

BelichickFan said:
The deal also includes two poison pills guaranteeing the entire $49 million if he plays a certain number of games in the state of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team."
:rofl: That couldn't be more beautiful, nor a more obvious middle-finger salute.

The end of these poison pills can't be far behind.

tombonneau said:
I think you misunderstand the nature of the contract. For the Hawks only like $12.5MM is guaranteed. But they made a mockery of the poison pill loophole the Vikings used to screw the Hawks out of Hutchinson but making the entire contract guaranteed for the Vikings (with the bit about a certain # of games played in Minnasosta making the contract guaratanteed).

So the Hakws basically made the guaranteed portion of the contract outlandish so Minny wouldn't even consider matching it.

I think its genius on part of Seattle as they have exposed the RFA process for the shame that it is.

What is to stop the Pats from now not giving Josh Brown an outlandish contract with a huge final year and saying if he plays X # of games in the tate of Washington it will be guaranteed??

With the Pats never havign any intention of paying that final year, in essence making the rest of the contract "normal."

I don't think you will see this go beyond these two or the league will have to step in and close the Condon loophole. But by No Fun League standards this is some funny schit!!! :D

BelichickFan said:
Here they are :

"the Seattle Seahawks' offer sheet to Minnesota Vikings WR Nate Burleson is a seven-year, $49 million deal with $5.25 million guaranteed. The deal also includes two poison pills guaranteeing the entire $49 million if he plays a certain number of games in the state of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team."

The bonus isn't huge but the anual amount is, I wonder how backloaded the salaries are. You see, guys, this is why we're out of the market right now . . . it's nuts.

WTF is with these "poison pills" - I thought they were made illegal after the Curtis Martin deal.

So let's say we're dealing with an RFA from the Colts and craft a contract that says, "if the player plays any games played in a helmet that has something that looks like a toilet seat on it, the entire contract becomes guaranteed."

THAT'S ALLOWED BY THE NEW CBA????

The real one-finger salute is that the made the bogus final year just high enough to equal $49 million overall -- the exact number that the Hawks would have had to guarantee to match the Vikes' offer sheet on Hutchinson.

I wondered why the artificial poison pills were allowed in the first place....oh, wait, I forgot. The NFL owners are now the NFLPA's love slaves.

The Seahawks are making a statement here, this poisin pill will not pass the arbitrator, but they are making a statement to both Minnesota and the league. The league should have struck down the Hutchinson contract because it wa obvious that the "highest paid lineman" was clearly aimed at Seattle, and then even after Seattle restucted Jones' deal to put him under the 7 mil, the arbitrator still ruled against them. I can't blame them, they are going to argue that it is the same thing as Hutchinson, and the league is going to have to do something about it.

It's important here to note that the Seahawks ended up declining to match the Hutchinson deal before it went to the special master. There is a chance it would have gotten struck down, but in the end they decided it wasn't worth it, especially with a rift that was certain to open up between Hutchinson and Walter Jones.

dryheat44 said:
It's important here to note that the Seahawks ended up declining to match the Hutchinson deal before it went to the special master. There is a chance it would have gotten struck down, but in the end they decided it wasn't worth it, especially with a rift that was certain to open up between Hutchinson and Walter Jones.

No they lost the hearing:
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9324258
and then decided not to match. This pissing contest between MIN and SEA is going to get nasty.

FreeTedWilliams said:
No they lost the hearing:
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9324258
and then decided not to match. This pissing contest between MIN and SEA is going to get nasty.

I stand corrected. I'd read that it hadn't gotte that far. I know that they had it worked out with Jones to restructure, but I guess decided against it. Too bad they're not division rivals.

FreeTedWilliams said:
This pissing contest between MIN and SEA is going to get nasty.

You don't want to face ME in a pissing contest!

FreeTedWilliams said:
This pissing contest between MIN and SEA is going to get nasty.

I wonder if that boat is still available...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore