PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ok i will admit I have not checked the stats but based on the eye test it seems like his punts have no hang time and not a lot of distance, I watch these punters from other teams boot these high 60 yard punts downfield

Am I missing something?

ok i will admit I have not checked the stats but based on the eye test it seems like his punts have no hang time and not a lot of distance, I watch these punters from other teams boot these high 60 yard punts downfield

Am I missing something?
I would have to go back and re-watch if that is true and if there are other circumstances. For example I have seen more than one bad snap.

These rankings are through the first three games and again, without knowing the field position, that may alter numbers - but here you go:
  • 41.7 gross average per punt - rank: #32
  • 37.3 net average per punt -- rank: #30
  • 6 punts inside the 20 -- rank: tied for 13th
  • 1 punt for a fair catch -- rank: tied for 28th
  • 8 punts returned ------- rank: tied for 8th most (ie, T-26th best)
  • 5.8 yards per return --- rank: tied for 19th most (ie, 13th best)

I would have to go back and re-watch if that is true and if there are other circumstances. For example I have seen more than one bad snap.

These rankings are through the first three games and again, without knowing the field position, that may alter numbers - but here you go:

Ok good to know my eyes weren't failing...he has a dead leg

Might be time to look for new blood next year...and please BB I know you love lefty punters but just find a guy who can kick the stuffing out of the ball

Useless without knowing what his instructions in terms of punting are. Chris Kluwe gave a nice AMA a few years back where he clearly explained how the Vikings asked him often to punt a certain way even if it looked bad on the stat sheet.

Last edited:
Patriots as far as I can remember haven’t had a good punter in a long time.

Somehow you have to figure in field position in these stats, while he has not looked good from my couch, difficult to just look at how far he punts as a barometer unless you know where he is punting from..

It seems more difficult to place a punt in a specific area than to just "boom" it... then there is that "left footed" thing, which BB likes.

I'm not seeing any problem with Allen. He seems to be getting the job done.

I've never thought that standard punting stats were particularly useful, since they don't account for field position, much less game situation.

Gross average, for instance. If a guy is primarily punting from inside his own 30, he's going to have a lot more opportunities to boom his punts than a guy who is punting primarily from outside his own 45. The first guy will tend to have a higher gross average. The second guy's average would tend to be lower, especially if he's getting a decent percentage of his punts downed inside the opponent's 20 and has a relatively low percentage of touchbacks.

Net average, then, is also product of all of the above plus the effectiveness of his return coverage unit. It's also influenced by the game situation. An opponent who's behind, and/or has an elite return guy, might tend to attempt more returns. Also, I don't know whether or not the "Inside the 20" stat includes returns attempted from inside the 20 that are also stopped inside the 20 by the coverage unit.

So, we may need a stat that accounts for the starting point of the punt and the resulting FP for the opponent, although it would still be difficult to quantify the coverage unit's contribution.

Anyway, "hang time" may not need to be tops in the league if the coverage unit is consistently good, and it may not be as important as the directional component.

Somehow you have to figure in field position in these stats, while he has not looked good from my couch, difficult to just look at how far he punts as a barometer unless you know where he is punting from..

It seems more difficult to place a punt in a specific area than to just "boom" it... then there is that "left footed" thing, which BB likes.

BB was recently asked about the left-footed thing and he replied that he doesn't have a particular preference, that it's just happened to work out that way.

Just an answer from a Kluwe AMA when he was asked what he would have changed about his career:

Told my special teams coach my second year to shove it when he made switch over to directional punting. I wanted to kick it like Lechler and Lee and make it to Pro Bowls. A hard truth to learn in the NFL is it's always better to be selfish rather than sacrifice for the team - the team has no loyalty these days

There is a lot of Kluwe stuff out there anyone really cares about punting. He wrote a nice MMQB thing when he was competing with Marquette King back a few years back:

There Can Be Only One

BB was recently asked about the left-footed thing and he replied that he doesn't have a particular preference, that it's just happened to work out that way.

I'm certain he was dodging the question. Not only do his left foot kickers stretch back a long ways, he has explicitly stated in the past that the opposite spin can be hard to deal with.

He just happens to always have left footed punters ? Given the ratio of lefties and righties this is almost impossible. Bullish!t Bill.

I checked Football Outsiders to see if they had anything more useful. Their special team stats incorporate several metrics, but in regards to punts they simply use net average.

The other stat they keep that I wanted to check was for field position. They keep tabs on where teams on average start their drives, for both offense and defense. FO does not keep a record on starting drive line of scrimmage solely for punts. However they do have that number for all drives and for drives after a kickoff, so you can guesstimate the starting line of scrimmage after punts.

Through three weeks the Patriots ranked third on all drives, with opponents on average taking possession at their own 25.67 yard line. Best was Dallas (21.62) and worst was Denver (36.31). League average was the 28.57 yard line.

There was less than a yard difference for the Patriots between kickoffs (25.05 yard line) and their grand total. The league average after a kickoff was an almost identical 25.03 yard line, with teams ranked from #9 to #23 all within one yard of the Pats' 25.05 number.

With that in mind opponents are most likely starting at about the 24 yard line after the Patriots punt the ball, which is probably slightly better than the league average.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 DEFENSIVE DRIVE STATS

Bring Ken Walter back! :p

I kid I kid...

I kid I kid...
Rich Camarillo is probably as close in age to Tom Brady as some rookies, maybe he'll be part of this week's workout list....:rolleyes:

I kid I kid...

Remember in 2001 we had that guy Lee? There was a bad snap he got scared, fumbled the Ball without being touch as he tried to run away....bb cut his ass the next day

He just happens to always have left footed punters ? Given the ratio of lefties and righties this is almost impossible. Bullish!t Bill.

OTOH, it's difficult for me to imagine BB taking a lefty over a righty who was clearly better.

Todd Sauerbrun, in favor of Chris Hanson, after the 2006 season. The Pats had re-signed Sauerbrun to a contract that other teams could still exceed, which Denver did.

Todd Sauerbrun, in favor of Chris Hanson, after the 2006 season. The Pats had re-signed Sauerbrun to a contract that other teams could still exceed, which Denver did.

You're referring to this incident?

"Sauerbrun was signed by the Patriots on December 22, 2006 to a one-year contract that gave them the right to match any contract he signed the next offseason.

On April 3, 2007, the Denver Broncos signed Sauerbrun to a one-year contract. However, a week later, the Patriots announced their decision to match Denver's offer to Sauerbrun.[5] Shortly thereafter, the NFL Players Association filed a grievance on behalf of Sauerbrun regarding the details of the contract he signed with New England in 2006. On April 18, 2007, it was announced that Sauerbrun would once again be a free agent. Sauerbrun re-signed with the Denver Broncos on April 19, 2007.
"

That reads to me like the Pats preferred Sauerbrun (tried to keep him) and were thwarted by the NFLPA acting on Sauerbrun's own complaint.

Hanson was only signed halfway through their 2007 training camp, after 36-year-old Josh Miller (coming off IR), and Danny Baugher (who never went anywhere in the NFL) both failed miserably. That sounds more like Hanson was their option of last resort, not BB's "preference."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft