PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post your post-combine, pre-FA MOCK here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayjackson

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
no trades:

1. Ryan Clady, LT, Boise State
2. Cliff Avril, OLB, Purdue
3. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3. Justin King, CB, Penn State
4. Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
5. David Roach, SS, TCU

Trade 7 to Chicago for 14 and 44:

1. Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt
2. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
3. Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
3. Justin King, CB, Penn State
4. Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
5. David Roach, SS, TCU

(holy Vandy, Batman - I promise I didn't mean to do that)

Why the OT's with the first pick? I think our attention would be better used elsewhere(LB/CB for example). The line had ONE terrible game, it just happened to be the biggest one. I don't think i'd draft ONE offensive player in this draft. Of course that could change after i see what happens in free agency.

Goff is not lasting into the 4th round.

I like the Chris Williams pick. In fact, in my latest mock (in progress), I have the Patriots picking him at #7.

I like the Chris Williams pick. In fact, in my latest mock (in progress), I have the Patriots picking him at #7.

Yuck! No way the Patriots take Chris Williams. He's a finesse tackle, whom you can find someone like him in the later rounds. If your drafting in the top 10 you want an impact player, and Chris Williams is not that.
Here's me look at things:
1) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- He's going to fly up the draft boards
2) Shawn Crable LB Mich
3) Dexter Jackson WR App St
3)Terrence Wheatley CB Colordao
4) Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame

Yuck! No way the Patriots take Chris Williams. He's a finesse tackle, whom you can find someone like him in the later rounds. If your drafting in the top 10 you want an impact player, and Chris Williams is not that.
Here's me look at things:
2) Shawn Crable LB Mich

DRC is certainly a viable choice at #7. I see it this way: I can pick up a cornerback from a Division 2 school who wowed the scouts in postseason workouts and is a first cousin to an all-pro cornerback (if he didn't make the savvy move of adding the -Cromartie this year, would he be rated as highly), or I can draft a left tackle who was beaten for only two sacks in two seasons against some pretty damn good SEC pass rushers. Finesse, my ass. That's dominance.

I'll take the proven guy every time, even if OT isn't as great a need as CB. I'm very confident of finding a CB to plug into our system later in the draft.

Last edited:
I'm still on board with an OT then moving to defense the rest of the way. If they're happy with Light at LT then I wold look at Otah who I think is the best fit for a long term RT after Long. However if they're envisioning moving Light to RT and want more athleticism and quickness than I like Williams a lot, Clady also.

DRC is certainly a viable choice at #7. I see it this way: I can pick up a cornerback from a Division 2 school who wowed the scouts in postseason workouts and is a first cousin to an all-pro cornerback, or I can draft a left tackle who was beaten for only two sacks in two seasons against some pretty damn good SEC pass rushers. Finesse, my ass. That's dominance.

I'll take the proven guy every time, even if OT isn't as great a need as CB. I'm very confident of finding a CB to plug into our system later in the draft.

Yes, you can find a corner to fit in our system in the later rounds, but Chris Williams at 7. No way! He's soft, and most likely would end up being a RT. The Patriots could use a RT, but you can find some like a Chris Williams in the later rounds. Just because of what happend in the Super Bowl doesn't mean that the Patriots must draft OL's. if anything that one of the strength's of the team. Also, the Patriots would never take a OL that early, minus the mankins pick because it was so late in the First Round, they don't believe in taking OL's early. Just look at Belichick's draft record. They have a better chance of drafting DRC at 7, then Chris Williams.

Here is my try at it, may not be good but oh well
1. Rodgers-Cromartie
2. Chris Johnson (depending on Faulk incident and what happens with it)
3. Dexter Jackson (really like him, got to see some games of his, and he looked great)
4. Jonathan Goff
5. Tom Zbikowski

2) Shawn Crable LB Mich

I like your thinking here.
If they have a shot at DRC and don't get him
I'm going to be very disappointed.

This kid WILL be a starter THIS year for some team. The only concern I
would have is injury but his upside and conditioning should be a heavy
consideration. This is a rare CB.
Give BB and Capers a training camp with him and he'll be shutting Moss
down by himself before it's over.
Samuel who????

I would not touch Justin King with a 10 foot poll. That kid has possibly the worst hips and feet of any corner in this draft. He has straight line speed, which he will need when every wide reciever runs right past him as he tries to turn and play in coverage.

I would not touch Justin King with a 10 foot poll. That kid has possibly the worst hips and feet of any corner in this draft. He has straight line speed, which he will need when every wide reciever runs right past him as he tries to turn and play in coverage.

I agree wholeheartedly. There wasn't a move a WR could make that wouldn't beat him.

I don't like anyone from Penn State.

My mock, assuming Jerry Jones doesn't bail us out:

1. Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
2. Cliff Avril OLB Purdue
3. Patrick Lee CB Auburn
3. Quentin Demps S UTEP
4. Ahtyba Rubin DT Iowa St
5. Jeremy Leman ILB Illinois
6. Jack Ikegwuonu CB Wisconsin
7. Thomas Brown RB Georgia

My mock, assuming Jerry Jones doesn't bail us out:

1. Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
2. Cliff Avril OLB Purdue
3. Patrick Lee CB Auburn
3. Quentin Demps S UTEP
4. Ahtyba Rubin DT Iowa St
5. Jeremy Leman ILB Illinois
6. Jack Ikegwuonu CB Wisconsin
7. Thomas Brown RB Georgia

I love the picks from round 3 on....I think J Leman and Tom Zbikowski have Patriots written all over them. I just don't like Chris Williams, and I feel that picking him at #7 would be a total waste. I'm still holding out hope that Vernon Gholston falls to 7. I agree that Jack Ikegwuonu could be a steal. I know he is injured, but he was a hell of a player at Wisconsin. Thomas Brown in the 7th round would be a steal. The one guy whom I really want the Patriots to draft is Tom Zbikowski. He can return kicks and punts, he'll be a great special teams player, and he has the attidue that Rodney Harrison has. I'd even take him earlier then most people would. But Dryheat I just don't understand your fascination with Chris Williams. This book on him is that he lacks intensity, and doesn't have the fire to be great. He's not an upgrade over Matt Light, and the Patriots can easily find someone through FA or the draft who can step in and play better then Nick Kaczur.

Last edited:
I love the picks from round 3 on....I think J Leman and Tom Zbikowski have Patriots written all over them. I just don't like Chris Williams, and I feel that picking him at #7 would be a total waste. I'm still holding out hope that Vernon Gholston falls to 7. I agree that Jack Ikegwuonu could be a steal. I know he is injured, but he was a hell of a player at Wisconsin. Thomas Brown in the 7th round would be a steal. The one guy whom I really want the Patriots to draft is Tom Zbikowski. He can return kicks and punts, he'll be a great special teams player, and he has the attidue that Rodney Harrison has. I'd even take him earlier then most people would. But Dryheat I just don't understand your fascination with Chris Williams. This book on him is that he lacks intensity, and doesn't have the fire to be great. He's not an upgrade over Matt Light, and the Patriots can easily find someone through FA or the draft who can step in and play better then Nick Kaczur.

Believe me, it's not a fascination, or infatutation, although I think he's a great player. It's whom I would reluctantly draft if forced to in the #7 hole. Note: this is with McFadden and Clady still on the board. I think Williams is an upgrade over Light, and I think he provides better value than Groves or a cornerback at this spot. My complete 3-rounder is at the 199overall site. http://www.199overall.com/?q=node/25

Last edited:

One of three guys is going to fall to #7 (Ryan, Gholston or Ellis). We can't lose either way (Ellis or Gholston - we draft), Matt Ryan, then we trade down and draft our CB and pick up an extra 2 or 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of three guys is going to fall to #7 (Ryan, Gholston or Ellis). We can't lose either way (Ellis or Gholston - we draft), Matt Ryan, then we trade down and draft our CB and pick up an extra 2 or 3.

I don't think we draft Sedrick Ellis. It seems you reduce his value as a DLman if you switch him to a two-gap technique. He's rocketed up draft boards since the Senior Bowl due to his prowess at penetrating in a one-gap defense, not due to his ability to occupy lineman and keep them off the LBs. His value placing is much higher for a 4-3 team or a Wade Phillips 3-4, than for us (or the Jets and Phins for that matter).

no trades:

1. Ryan Clady, LT, Boise State
3. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3. Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
4. Brad Cottham, TE, Tennessee
5. David Roach, SS, TCU

Trade 7 to Chicago for 14 and 44:

1. Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt
2. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
3. Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
3. Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
4. Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee
5. David Roach, SS, TCU

(holy Vandy, Batman - I promise I didn't mean to do that)

Okay, I bow to pressure quite easily, out with Justin King. In with Brad Cottam - a TE to leverage David Thomas. One of them will always be on the active roster and one will always be PUP/IR.

I can't see drafting Chris Williams at 7th overall.

First, the Patriots are still developing their new ZB scheme, and I don't really think the 6'6" 320lbs Williams is the answer. He does have some natural agility and quickness for his size, but He also has some trouble against speed rushers with burst, and while massive in stature, he's actually not a substantially powerful run blocker. He's also somewhat raw, has a strong upper body but needs to improve his lower body strength, can take bad angles, and leaves his feet to often. Now, he does have a good amount of potential and versatility (played both guard and tackle), but I can't see NE grading him as 7th overall talent, for their system.

For two other posters, I can't see Jon Goff lasting into the fourth round, and it almost seems absurd to believe he'd last until that 4th round pick (almost a 5th rounder). The guy was productive throughout his college career, a team leader, has good size, high intelligence, and tested well at the combine. It's not an overly strong crop of ILB's either, so I'd like to know who's pushing him down the board? If anything I'd take him in the second round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back