• 1991 Redskins

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWorldChamps

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Who is the best SB-era team of all time?

Last edited:
I know who had the best defense ever. 1985 Bears without a doubt. They just suffocated offenses. Their offense was pretty decent too scoring 28 a game and they had a 1500 yard rusher. I think they would have handled any team in history that year. It was just a magical season for them. The Bears outgained their three playoff opponents that year an astounding 1,023 yards to 434. That's 144 yards a game they allowed to playoff teams. Just incredible dominance.

Last edited:
The '07 Pats shouldn't be on there, in all seriousness. We've played 4 games.

I have never bought the argument about the Bears. They had a phenomenal defense, perhaps the best ever, but other teams have been close to their defense. The difference is Joe Montana vs. Jim McMahon. You need to have a Hall of Fame quarterback, to be considered, IMO. Not sure if the 84 or 89 Niners were better.

You need to have a Hall of Fame quarterback, to be considered, IMO.

Not buying this argument at all. The Niners had a HOF QB in 1985 and lost their playoff game 17-3. A HOF QB does not mean you had the best team ever. However, the 1989 49ers are right there with the 1985 Bears. Those are the two best. Flip a coin.

Last edited:
Not buying this argument at all. The Niners had a HOF QB in 1985 and lost their playoff game 17-3. A HOF QB does not mean you had the best team ever. However, the 1989 49ers are right there with the 1985 Bears. Those are the two best. Flip a coin.

Or tiebreak it by the factor I just mentioned. Supposing these teams need to be perfect in every way, which of these teams would you expect to win a very close game that comes down to the wire.. a two minute offense?

The Bears had a great offense that year, but could be made one-dimensional by a quarterback that is not worthy of leading the greatest team of all-time.

McMahon '85. 178-313 (56.9%). 2392 yards (7.6 ypa). 15 TDs, 11 INTs.

Montana '89. 271-386 (70.2%). 3521 yards (9.1 ypa). 26 TDs, 8 INTs.

I know a lot of people disagree with me. I think the Bears were one of the best ever, but you won't be THE best ever in my book unless you have a quarterback named Montana, Elway, Young, Marino, Favre, Aikman, Brady, Manning, Starr, Staubach, Tarkenton, Fouts, or Unitas (in the modern era.) The QB is, and always has been, the most important position on the field. I think I am being pretty lenient for QBs... just not an average Joe. I might consider someone with the skills of Moon, Simms, Kelly, Cunningham, Warner, or Rypien (at least Rypien tore it up that one year.)

To be the best, you have to be perfect, especially at the most important position. McMahon can't even be mentioned in the same sentence as about 30 other QBs.

Last edited:
Remember though, we are looking at a TEAM. What gives the Bears the slight edge over the 1989 49ers is the Bears were more dominant than any other team ever. Just look at what they did to the playoff teams they faced. They allowed 144 yards a game. The scores of their playoff games:

21-0
24-0
46-10

They allowed 3 pts a game in the playoffs and outscored their playoff opponents 91-10.

In the SuperBowl the Bears held the Pats to (-19) yards in offense in the first half and 7 yards rushing for the entire game.

They made a mockery of the playoffs utterly destroying all the playoff teams they faced in a way this league has never seen.

Last edited:
The 2003 and 2004 Patriots belong in the group of best teams ever. The 2007 Patriots are at least 12 games away. For me, the 1985 Bears were the best team for a single season ever, by far.

This was the type of stuff I was talking about in my humble thread. Why would you compare the pats to any of the teams on the list after four games?

:rolleyes:

Jumping ahead a bit aren't you PatsWorldChamps?

I truly hope you are not expecting a non-bias opinion.

And why would a team that hasn't won anything be on that list?

Holy smokes! Is there THAT much of a rush to make this declaration that four games is enough?!

Or, if you want to do this thing, do it up right - get one of those twelve year old blindingly-white kids from the "Southside of Naptown" to do a Superbowl rap. It's all the rage.

http://www.crowdpleezers.com/LilRonnie.htm

Last edited:
Holy smokes! Is there THAT much of a rush to make this declaration that four games is enough?!

Or, if you want to do this thing, do it up right - get one of those twelve year old blindingly-white kids from the "Southside of Naptown" to do a Superbowl rap. It's all the rage.

http://www.crowdpleezers.com/LilRonnie.htm

Ask all the critics of NE's offseason moves over @ gang green how that worked out for us. Hahaha.

Ask all the critics of NE's offseason moves over @ gang green how that worked out for us. Hahaha.

Whoah! You got me. I mean, I think you got me. Did you? Yeah, you might have. Right, yes, of course, you did get me. But. . .wait. . .I think. . .umm. . . no. . . wait. . . yes. . . . you did. You got me.

However. . . . uhhhh. . . no. . . . stop. . . I'm being silly. . . OF COURSE you got me.

These things are sometimes so confusing.

How about theses teams?

1990 NINERS, Beat the donkeys 55-10 or

93 Cowboys,beat Buffalo and its K-gun offense 52-17.

I hate Dallas,but their offense line was so big it use to wear down the opposing D-line by half time.

I hate to break the news,but we haven't MADE IT TO THE SB YET.

Last edited:
Whoah! You got me. I mean, I think you got me. Did you? Yeah, you might have. Right, yes, of course, you did get me. But. . .wait. . .I think. . .umm. . . no. . . wait. . . yes. . . . you did. You got me.

However. . . . uhhhh. . . no. . . . stop. . . I'm being silly. . . OF COURSE you got me.

These things are sometimes so confusing.

"Welker is a overrated scrub"

"Thomas was way to epensive"

"Moss is finished"

"NE is turning into the redskins"

"Meriweather will be trouble"

"Welker is a overrated scrub"

"Thomas was way to epensive"

"Moss is finished"

"NE is turning into the redskins"

"Meriweather will be trouble"
You'll need to speak with the people who said those things in order for this to really work for you. I'll pass it all along.

And, if we're keeping score, I do think Brandon Meriweather is a punk, and I always have.

Who is the best SB-era team of all time?
To put the '07 Pats on there is utterly ridiculous, until they're actually hoisting the Lombardi! This whole season can go down the toilet due to one or two key injuries, but of the teams you do have on there, the '85 Bears defense could've won it all playing the whole game and scoring on turnovers alone that year! Throw in one of the greatest RB's in his prime with pretty good receivers and an average QB, and they get my vote. It's hard not picking the 49'ers, but I think that Chicago's defense that year would've shut down Montana and company.

The 2003 and 2004 Patriots belong in the group of best teams ever. The 2007 Patriots are at least 12 games away. For me, the 1985 Bears were the best team for a single season ever, by far.
:yeahthat: Not sure about the 03 Pats though, sure top ten, but not top five. Add Dillon and they immediately made the jump to the top five.

When alls said and done, it was Da Bears.

I'd give a slight edge to the 1989 49ers over the 1991 Redskins. Both of those teams would have beaten the 1985 Bears. The 2004 Pats would have beaten that Bears team, too. In 1985, teams rarely slid their tackles to pick up blitzing OLBs (think of Light's job on Merriman last January) and left the task to RBs, who back then if they had such skills it was considered a bonus (think Maroney's lame attempt at blocking Merriman a few weeks ago vs. Faulk's good blitz-pickup skills). Teams also rarely kept their TEs in to block on passing plays. Buddy Ryan exploited the trends of the time and created a ferocious 8-men-in-the-box blitzing attack that teams never quite adjusted. The Dolphins were the only team that year to neutralize it with a rolling pocket. The following year, however, teams caught on and their blocking schemes became much more sophisticated against such all-out attacks on the QB. There's a reason the 46 Defense has pretty much died off.

Now don't get me wrong, for that Bears team was loaded with defensive talent (except at CB, which would have been their fatal flaw vs. these teams) and although teams like the 1989 49ers, 1991 Redskins and 2004 Pats would fare much better against it than the Bears' 1985 opponents, they likely would not light that Bears D up for 35+ points. They would, however, be able to outscore the 1985 Bears offense. Jim McMahon was actually pretty good in 1985 and the running game lead by Payton was excellent, but the rest of the weapons were meh and this is where the other SB winners would have won the game. Willie Gault was a one-trick pony (fly pattern or bust), Dennis McKinnon was nothing special and the TE Moorehead didn't scare anyone. These SB winners would have shut down the Bears' offense much like NY and LA did in the NFC playoffs, but would have fared much better than those offenses did.

Regards,
Chris

Could you guys at least look up the 1991 Redskins before you click on the Bears.

They were #1 in scoring offense. (485 points)
#1 in scoring defense. (224 points)
Top 5 in total offense(4th) and total defense(3rd).
Won 11 sraight games to start the season and then lost to the Triplets Cowboys by 3 points. In the last game of the year they lost to the Eagles by 2 points. Thats it. Just 5 points from undefeated.
They also played 11 teams with 10+ wins. Won 9 of them.
Margin of victory was 17 PPG including the playoffs!

This team flat out dominated.

Think last years Ravens defense and Chargers offense as one team. But tougher competition because there were fewer teams in the league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes