PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King with a Blood Pumping, Feel Good Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Versatility will only make the offense better. They aren't going to assign a certain type of route to each receiver that they exclusively run. That is just not how this offense works and it never has worked that way.

Compare our receiver corps from 2000-2004. It was like a swiss army knife, each receiver had a specialty and were given plays they excelled at.

It would be ******ed to start putting players in sub-ideal roles just to switch it up. Explain to me how putting receivers in less-ideal roles makes us better?

This sounds to me like someone who plays poker but incorrectly bluffs or mismanages their hand just to appear 'unpredictable'.

Its not like that is going to be the base formation. Take an example where the pats are 2nd and short midfield. The D expects a normal passing play, and has the typical nickel or dime package. Then they realize that Moss is in the slot, Watson on the far outside, and Welker on the other outside. Confusion. Moss does a quick out, goes for 50 yards :)

its pure genius.

See, this whole confusion and unpredictable thing is over-rated, and also being misapplied here.

For an analagous extreme example, it sounds like someone explaining why it'd be awesome to have Maroney at fullback and Evans as running back. It's just stupid.

One part of that article bothered me, the part where it said on some plays the Pats receivers are being put in non-ideal places (Welker sprinting on the outside, Moss in the slot running an in-route, etc).

McDaniels needs to stop being cute and just put players in the best position where they will excel. Only McDaniels can screw up this juggernaut offense this year.

Is that you NEM?;)

One part of that article bothered me, the part where it said on some plays the Pats receivers are being put in non-ideal places (Welker sprinting on the outside, Moss in the slot running an in-route, etc).

McDaniels needs to stop being cute and just put players in the best position where they will excel. Only McDaniels can screw up this juggernaut offense this year.

Sorry, I have to totally disagree with your assessment. As others mentioned, versatility is a huge part of this team. Amongst the WRs, its been regularly know that the players have to know, not only their own routes, but the routes that their team mates should be running. This is in case there are injuries and players have to play in other positions.

I mean, how would the team do if it lost Moss or Stallworth and had to rely on A Welker or a Gaffney to start and they didn't know the routes they'd need to run?

OH, as for who can screw up this "juggernaut offense" I would also add the names of Tom Brady, Laurence Maroney, Matt Light, Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth to the mix.

Last edited:
For an analagous extreme example, it sounds like someone explaining why it'd be awesome to have Maroney at fullback and Evans as running back. It's just stupid.

I can understand the argument of getting players prepared IN CASE they need to due to injury of a teammate, but if everyone is healthy I think it's silly to put your guys in spots where they are not 'the best' at their job.

OH, as for who can screw up this "juggernaut offense" I would also add the names of Tom Brady, Laurence Maroney, Matt Light, Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth to the mix.
You mean the players can actually screw it up and we can't just sit back and arbitrarilly blame the offensive coordinator knowing that the play we would have called would always work when the actual play doesn't ? Now you're just being silly :D

I can understand the argument of getting players prepared IN CASE they need to due to injury of a teammate, but if everyone is healthy I think it's silly to put your guys in spots where they are not 'the best' at their job.
Not if it makes them predictable. If Welker is usually running short curls then busts out with a deep route . . . guess what's likely to happen ?

See, this whole confusion and unpredictable thing is over-rated, and also being misapplied here.

Most extreme examples are stupid. The example I used was not extreme, but what they were actually practicing.

Most extreme examples are stupid. The example I used was not extreme, but what they were actually practicing.

Well the example of Maroney at fullback and Evans at tailback applies to this example. Welker simply isn't a good deep guy, he should almost never be on the field in that role. If we have standard set plays with Welker as the speed outside guy, then it IS the coordinator's fault.

As for coordinator vs. players fault, here is another example:
If Doc Rivers, also a coaching idiot, put 5 guys out there who didn't match up well with the other team for a quarter, and the Celtics ended up shooting a horrible 30% from the field, it would be DOC's fault, not the players' fault, especially if the Celtics were stacked with talent (like the Pats are on offense).

Last edited:
Well the example of Maroney at fullback and Evans at tailback applies to this example. Welker simply isn't our best deep guy, he should almost never be on the field in that role. If we have standard set plays with Welker as the speed outside guy, then it IS the coordinator's fault.

If Doc Rivers, also a coaching idiot, put 5 guys out there who didn't match up well with the other team for a quarter, and the Celtics ended up shooting a horrible 30% from the field, it would be DOC's fault, not the players' fault, especially if the Celtics were stacked with talent (like the Pats are on offense).

Brown and Branch ran deep patterns every once in a while, and Givens wasn't only running fly routes. Brown also lined up both in the slot and on the outside. New England won Super Bowls doing that.

Last edited:
Well the example of Maroney at fullback and Evans at tailback applies to this example. Welker simply isn't our best deep guy, he should almost never be on the field in that role. If we have standard set plays with Welker as the speed outside guy, then it IS the coordinator's fault.

Anybody else expecting the next post to be..."I'm right your wrong palsey, have a nice day."....it must have been viral and others are infected.

Anybody else expecting the next post to be..."I'm right your wrong palsey, have a nice day."....it must have been viral and others are infected.

what is even more idiotic is automatically discounting something just because NEM once said it.

how is this any different from running plays where maroney is a fullback and evans is at tailback?

I guess we should find out the pattern that each WR runs the best and run each WR on that exact pattern all game long. Got to play to their strengths, you know :rolleyes:

what is even more idiotic is automatically discounting something just because NEM once said it.

how is this any different from running plays where maroney is a fullback and evans is at tailback?

You're not really this ignorant about how a passing game works, are you? I mean, you do realize that not every play Randy Moss runs is a fly pattern down the sideline, right? You do understand why teams put players in motion, and why teams will sometimes put their best receivers in the slot, and why sometimes teams send a tight end deep down the middle, right?

Bottom line: Are we on candid camera?

Last edited:
Can anyone remind me how many TD passes OLB Mike Vrabel has subbing as a TE?

Thanks.

Compare our receiver corps from 2000-2004. It was like a swiss army knife, each receiver had a specialty and were given plays they excelled at.

It would be ******ed to start putting players in sub-ideal roles just to switch it up. Explain to me how putting receivers in less-ideal roles makes us better?

This sounds to me like someone who plays poker but incorrectly bluffs or mismanages their hand just to appear 'unpredictable'.

I'm reminded of a quote from Bob Gibson back in '68: "I just rear back and fire, and see who's better - them or me!" Invariably, it was Gibson. You knew what he did, you knew what was coming, and he still challenged you to beat him. He just rode the horses he had, to the best of his ability. That's the mark of greatness.

That's what this offense has to learn to do - ride the horses it has to the best of it's abilities. You do what you do best, and see just how good the other guy is. You aren't going to get that by putting Moss in the slot to run little curls, or putting Welker outside to run down Champ Bailey.

Uh-uh.

If you're looking for mismatches, then run 2- and 3- TE sets to spice things up.

Let's be real clear on this situation. This is now a team that can match up against the Colts person for person. They don't do confusion. They don't have to.

Neither do we.

Talking about the "confusion" factor in this instance impels me to comment that the only people who will be confused by something like what's being discussed here are the fans who watch the games.

Certainly, no one else will be.

You're not really this ignorant about how a passing game works, are you? I mean, you do realize that not every play Randy Moss runs is a fly pattern down the sideline, right?

Of course I realize the fact that receivers run different routes, as well as realize how it's nice to have some versatility among your players. But which is more effective - Welker in the slot or outside? I am arguing that sticking Welker on the outside is as pointless as putting Maroney at fullback.

This whole thing is premature, but the way King described it makes it seem like this is going to be part of some base sets we have, which I think is making the LEAST of your talent.

Let's be real clear on this situation. This is now a team that can match up against the Colts person for person. They don't do confusion. They don't have to.

Neither do we.
We don't do confusion ? :bricks:

Sigh.

There's teams that do the same thing over and over and try to perfect what they do. That's the Colts. On offense and defense.

We're a gameplan team. That's what we do and it's not changing until Belichick leaves. Now, with more talent we'll be able to gameplan and confuse better. But, make no mistake, we aren't suddenly going to be the Colts. We're still a gameplan, confuse, we're smarter than you team. We just have more talent now to help it along.

How is it different? Well for one, they aren't lining Maroney and Evans up like that yet they are doing it with the WR's. I think that's different.

Why be up in arms about this anyway? It's not like they are going to line up like this for the games. If there is one thing that you SHOULD know about this team is that they are PREPARED. They are prepared for everything, one reason why the Pats have constantly been among the elite since BB arrived. It is also known (or should be if you follow this team with any regularity) that the WR's, LB's, DE's, and O-line (Actually probably every position but these have been singled out) know the other positions. Has it been stupid for Vrable to line up on the inside instead of the outside, his natural position? If you want to compare something, compare what they are doing in MINI-CAMP (A teaching camp BTW) with what they have actually done, not something that you make up. Just to prove my point further, how about Troy on D, that seemed to be OK too. I will put my faith in BB that he knows what each player can do better than you. Actually I think he can get more out of players than just about any coach out there. Stop being so negative.

Exotic looks are a specialty with BB, at least on D. So if you can shake things up on O and give the opposing D something they have never seen before why not do it? It has worked wonders for the D and it will do the same for the O.

Of course I realize the fact that receivers run different routes, as well as realize how it's nice to have some versatility among your players. But which is more effective - Welker in the slot or outside? I am arguing that sticking Welker on the outside is as pointless as putting Maroney at fullback.

This whole thing is premature, but the way King described it makes it seem like this is going to be part of some base sets we have, which I think is making the LEAST of your talent.

Again, Troy Brown moved around. Troy Brown ran short and deep routes. David Givens ran short and deep routes, as did Branch, and Branch wasn't always running from a set position on the outside. This is what pretty much every team in football, on every level, does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes