PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King with a Blood Pumping, Feel Good Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't do confusion ? :bricks:

Sigh.

There's teams that do the same thing over and over and try to perfect what they do. That's the Colts. On offense and defense.

We're a gameplan team. That's what we do and it's not changing until Belichick leaves. Now, with more talent we'll be able to gameplan and confuse better. But, make no mistake, we aren't suddenly going to be the Colts. We're still a gameplan, confuse, we're smarter than you team. We just have more talent now to help it along.

I don't think you understand.

Confusion, such as it is, is inherent in all game planning. The point, apparently, that's trying to be made on this thread, is that by doing stuff like having Moss run little curls and Welker running fly routes is a valid attempt at this.

My point is, it's not!

If you line the boys up like that, who do seriously think is going to take the bait?

For a play or two, we might gain a slight advantage as the opposing team's DC takes the time to pick himself up off the floor after an uncontrollable initial attack of the giggles. But after that....

That's not why we signed these guys.

I have nothing against exploring new ideas, but you have to temper this with the reality that not all ideas should actually see the light of day.

But, what the hell, keep 'em coming!

Peter just proved how easy he is... Maybe he should ask himself each week before he writes his column whether he has any concrete basis on which to opine about what he thinks he knows other than he just thinks it at the moment and it's time to file the column.

It's obvious he thinks this offense will be tough to stop. But I love the caveat that he still doesn't know how we stop the Colts... Well seeing as we stopped them pretty good for most of the first half when last we met, I'd say adding Thomas, Harrison and Seau to that defense, not to mention how those offensive additions should limit Sanders time in the box and extend his time on the bench is how, Peter.

As much as I like King, his writing is pretty superficial: "Ten Things I Think I Think" (translation: "I'm winging it all here, folks".) I guess when he's got the entire league to cover, and wanting to do it as "comprehensively" as possible, he has decided to go the USAToday route and cover the top half-inch of things instead of driving in deep.

//

How is it different? Well for one, they aren't lining Maroney and Evans up like that yet they are doing it with the WR's. I think that's different.

Why be up in arms about this anyway? It's not like they are going to line up like this for the games. If there is one thing that you SHOULD know about this team is that they are PREPARED. They are prepared for everything, one reason why the Pats have constantly been among the elite since BB arrived. It is also known (or should be if you follow this team with any regularity) that the WR's, LB's, DE's, and O-line (Actually probably every position but these have been singled out) know the other positions. Has it been stupid for Vrable to line up on the inside instead of the outside, his natural position? If you want to compare something, compare what they are doing in MINI-CAMP (A teaching camp BTW) with what they have actually done, not something that you make up. Just to prove my point further, how about Troy on D, that seemed to be OK too. I will put my faith in BB that he knows what each player can do better than you. Actually I think he can get more out of players than just about any coach out there. Stop being so negative.

Exotic looks are a specialty with BB, at least on D. So if you can shake things up on O and give the opposing D something they have never seen before why not do it? It has worked wonders for the D and it will do the same for the O.

Yes...the calming influence....

If you line the boys up like that, who do seriously think is going to take the bait?

For a play or two, we might gain a slight advantage as the opposing team's DC takes the time to pick himself up off the floor after an uncontrollable initial attack of the giggles. But after that....
After that we may have scored a TD. How many times have we gotten pressure on the QB by subtle formations defensively ? Why did Vrabel break clean free in SB 36 on Law's INT when he was lined up right across from someone ? Because the formation cause a split second of uncertainty in the blocking scheme and before they recovered it was all over. They do take the bait and it's not because they're laughing . . . you make Belichick's scheming sound like high school fodder.

Confusion, such as it is, is inherent in all game planning. The point, apparently, that's trying to be made on this thread, is that by doing stuff like having Moss run little curls and Welker running fly routes is a valid attempt at this.

My point is, it's not!

I have nothing against exploring new ideas, but you have to temper this with the reality that not all ideas should actually see the light of day.

This is what I have been trying to say, poorly it seems. Well done, P_Fever

After that we may have scored a TD. How many times have we gotten pressure on the QB by subtle formations defensively ? Why did Vrabel break clean free in SB 36 on Law's INT when he was lined up right across from someone ? Because the formation cause a split second of uncertainty in the blocking scheme and before they recovered it was all over. They do take the bait and it's not because they're laughing . . . you make Belichick's scheming sound like high school fodder.

I think there is a HUGE difference between offensive and defensive 'exotic looks'. Belichick is an expert in confusing an opposing quarterback, who is the most important guy on offense, in making him think one thing is happening, and then taking advantage of that.

On defense, fooling the defensive brain on the field won't have the same impact. Most guys on defense do what their task is regardless of who is lined up on the field.

Plus, I fail to see how we can take advantage of putting Welker on the outside, as it neither confuses nor tricks the defense into ANYTHING.

Last edited:
What the hell was Weis thinking when he had Brown win the @ Miami and the Tenessee games in 2003 with Troy Brown running fly patterns down the left sideline ?

Weis is a moron.

All writers love offense.

No, the only high school fodder found around here are the absurd ideas being brought forth on this thread...

I might like to remind you that the defensive scheme you invoke on that play is a valid one. And an axiomatic part of football is, the offense takes what the defense gives.

Getting back to the original thrust of the post, lining the boys up like that will take exactly what from a defensive scheme that has likely already figured out what will happen?

To use a chess analogy, after White plays P-K4, if you play P-KR4, you'd better be damn sure you can play the game of chess. Just because the move can be made doesn't justify it.

My point is, it's not!

You'll change your tune when Moss runs a wide open curl underneath and then breaks one for 50 YAC.

The whole point is to create matchup issues for the defense. Why give the defense the choice of optimizing who they cover with whom by forcing every player into his stereotypical strength?

Last edited:
There is a big difference between defensive and offensive confusion.
On defense, you're really just trying to mess with the QB's reads, so you make it hard for him to figure out what's happening that way.

On offense, you want to put your best pieces at their best positions. None of this Welker -on-the-outside crap.

Here's an example: the Colts run a flex sweep running play, which looks exactly the same way they run a lot of play action pass plays. Now THAT is a great way to disguise, confuse, and make it hard on the defense. The defense has to respect the run because their best players are playing their best positions; the deception is that there is another play that looks exactly like it.

The whole point is to create matchup issues for the defense. Why give the defense the choice of optimizing who they cover with whom by forcing every player into his stereotypical strength?

'Stereotypical' strength???? Um... players have different, real, factual differences in their skill sets. You make the defense respect what you are trying to do, or PRETENDING to do, if you put the best skill guy at each position for what that guy needs to do or pretend to do.

If Doc Rivers, also a coaching idiot...

And there we have it! June 11, and Josh McDaniels has already been called an idiot! Why? Because one journalist described one formation run at some point during minicamp that moves certain receivers out of their natural roles.

Now why did they run that formation? Who knows? Maybe it was instructional, designed to help a spanking-new group of receivers understand one another's roles. Maybe it's a wrinkle they'd throw in for a play or two against particular defensive alignments to take advantage of mismatches. Maybe they just wanted to see how Moss looked in that role. Maybe it will become a valuable weapon that we see in multiple games; maybe it will become a fiasco; or maybe we'll never see it at all.

Seems to me it's a pretty huge leap from King's throwaway bit to: Josh McDaniels is an idiot who "needs to stop being cute" and "can screw up this juggernaut offense."

And there we have it! June 11, and Josh McDaniels has already been called an idiot! Why? Because one journalist described one formation run at some point during minicamp that moves certain receivers out of their natural roles.

Now why did they run that formation? Who knows? Maybe it was instructional, designed to help a spanking-new group of receivers understand one another's roles. Maybe it's a wrinkle they'd throw in for a play or two against particular defensive alignments to take advantage of mismatches. Maybe they just wanted to see how Moss looked in that role. Maybe it will become a valuable weapon that we see in multiple games; maybe it will become a fiasco; or maybe we'll never see it at all.

Seems to me it's a pretty huge leap from King's throwaway bit to: Josh McDaniels is an idiot who "needs to stop being cute" and "can screw up this juggernaut offense."

maybe.....

I hope that those who take shots at Josh realize that they are really taking shots at BB. Josh's offensive plays have been reviewed by BB and approved by BB or they would never make it into the playbook.

Every offensive game plan is review and approved by BB. Tom also has some input into the offensive game plan.

So if Josh is an "idiot', then BB must be an "idiot" too. Can't be any other way.

I hope that those who take shots at Josh realize that they are really taking shots at BB. Josh's offensive plays have been reviewed by BB and approved by BB or they would never make it into the playbook.

Every offensive game plan is review and approved by BB. Tom also has some input into the offensive game plan.

So if Josh is an "idiot', then BB must be an "idiot" too. Can't be any other way.
Belichick and his staff are gonna f*ck this whole thing up, we all know it :D

I think all of us over-estimate how hands on Belichick is. From what I've read, he gives his coordinators a lot of autonomy in calling plays and designing game plans.

I think all of us over-estimate how hands on Belichick is. From what I've read, he gives his coordinators a lot of autonomy in calling plays and designing game plans.
I don't know where you read that but it's the opposite of what I've read. Belichick is still one of the most hands on HC around, the gameplans go through him and the playcalling per down and distance is agreed upon before the game. The coordinators largely do the grunt work of executing the pre-agreed upon plan based on the situation they find in the game.

You must still believe in the Easter Bunny.

Did you noitice last year how close to BB Josh was when calling the plays? Charlie would be way down by the 35 yard line all by himself. Not so Josh.

Can anyone remind me how many TD passes OLB Mike Vrabel has subbing as a TE?

Thanks.
He has eight catches and eight TD's, 2 of which have been in SuperBowls...It would be 9 for 9 but there was a penalty that negated the last one if I am correct, please chime in If I'm not....Oh and I also Believe it is a record as well...Hope that helps...

PD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes