PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs Raiders: Mexico City air pollution

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be like both teams took up smoking

oAKE9.gif

"You guys wanna bum a few packs to prep?"

Slightly related to the OP, it's probably been discussed on this board already but I just found out the Raiders are arriving in Mexico Saturday night. We've been practicing all week at altitude.

It's not even a matter of conditioning. They're gonna be dust by the third quarter. What are they even thinking? We're gonna crush them.

Slightly related to the OP, it's probably been discussed on this board already but I just found out the Raiders are arriving in Mexico Saturday night. We've been practicing all week at altitude.

It's not even a matter of conditioning. They're gonna be dust by the third quarter. What are they even thinking? We're gonna crush them.
They used the same approach last year and came out of Mexico City with 14 points in the fourth quarter and a victory, so that’s why they’re sticking to their guns.

There is research suggesting that both approaches have their pros and cons, and Jerod Mayo recently spoke of how he’d prefer to get there at the last minute and leave ASAP (he was actually talking about Denver, but same idea), so there is some debate regarding the subject matter.

two different approaches:

Raiders, Patriots take different approaches to preparing for Mexico City altitude

There are two schools of thought,” said Jared Berg, an exercise physiologist at the CU Sports Medicine and Performance Center in Boulder, Colo. “And they’re both correct.

Adjusting to high elevations can affect sleeping patterns, appetite and breathing rates given a relative lack of oxygen. The worst thing an athlete can do, Berg said, is arrive two to four days before a competition, giving those effects just enough time to manifest themselves.

the raiders played the texans last year in mexico city and won, so it's not like they don't have any experience playing there.

The Raiders can point to last season as support for their plan. Playing the first regular-season NFL game held in Mexico since 2005, the Raiders flew in the day before and had enough left in the tank to mount two fourth-quarter touchdown drives in a 27-20 win over the Houston Texans. Players and coaches said preparation this week has been similar.

“They have us in here on the bikes with like a little mask over our face that’s supposed to kind of simulate how the altitude is,” said cornerback David Amerson. “But to be honest with you, last year, I don’t know if it’s just because you’re so locked into the game or what the case may be, but I didn’t really notice it that bad.”

Other Raiders downplayed the effects of the altitude change. Receiver Amari Cooper said: “It didn’t really bother me at all.” Cornerback T.J. Carrie said that, “Playing in that atmosphere of Denver, you kind of know how to get your body ready. … That may be extra running, or extra things you feel will benefit yourself.”

Laser pointers, air pollution, altitude sickness, can’t drink the water or eat certain foods—I bet Belichick is loving the fact that they’re on this trip. :(

two different approaches:

Raiders, Patriots take different approaches to preparing for Mexico City altitude

the raiders played the texans last year in mexico city and won, so it's not like they don't have any experience playing there.

Cool thanks for that, interesting stuff.

Two things: Houston also trained at sea level, so Oakland winning last year was on a level playing field, so to speak. The Pats definitely get an advantage here by training at altitude.

7300 feet in Mexico City is a lot different than 5200 in Denver. They'll feel the altitude change even more then when they go to Mile High. They may have said it didn't bother them, but I'm sure it affected some of the players. The reason I brought it up in the first place was that I just watched an interview with Khalil Mack admitting how much of a difference it made last year.

The Pats definitely get an advantage here by training at altitude.

Current thought is that it takes from 3-6 weeks for people to adjust to the altitude so, assuming that to be true, the Patriots aren't gaining much, if any, advantage.

Current thought is that it takes from 3-6 weeks for people to adjust to the altitude so, assuming that to be true, the Patriots aren't gaining much, if any, advantage.

Interesting, wasn't aware of that number (and just looked it up).

I'm just going by my own experience at 10,000 feet where I felt fine after three days or so. Of course I wasn't playing in a professional football game. But I was walking / hiking a lot and didn't feel the effects at all.

Despite that data you referenced, I'm gonna go ahead and say the Pats, while not fully acclimated, will be *more* acclimated than the Raiders.

AFAIK, both teams are flying in on Saturday, with maybe an hour difference in (ideal) flight duration (Denver is a bit closer), not accounting for delays.

So, the travel part itself is probably about even.

The biggest (non-football) variable, then, is still 8 days of acclimation (at 5,300 ft, then at 6,600 ft) versus ZERO days of acclimation. Probably too many variables in a football game to really isolate any difference in altitude effects, unless medical personnel are closely and continuously monitoring players (which one would think the NFL might want to study). Game plan, film study, focus/awareness, discipline and technique probably make a bigger difference on the outcome.

Still, whichever team wins, their approach to prep will rule among the talking heads on Monday. Of course, if the Pats win in a blowout, people will be saying that the NFL did them a favor by scheduling them to play at altitude two consecuctive weeks.

If the Pats rely on their "quick" offense and two minute drills, lets see how that effects the defense.. better have a lot of oxygen tanks on the sidelines..

Last SB at sealevel the Falcons ran out of gas, sure BB has given that a lot of thought..

If the Pats hadn't already been out west, they likely would've flown out of Foxborough on Saturday.

And the flight would probably have taken almost twice as long as the flight from Denver ... 6+ hours versus 3+ hours.

They needed to keep travel costs low.

That's an example of the disadvantage of being a poor franchise

Well, every "body" (literally) is different, so I imagine it might take some people a couple of weeks to adjust. But, I've spent a lot of time in Mexico City and Quito. Therefore, did some research. Here's what I learned.

8,000 feet is a cut off in the minds of most who study this. Acclimatizing above 8,000 feet is very difficult, for reasons that I used to understand.

Mexico City is at ~7,300 feet; Quito ~9,300 (Denver, for comparison, ~5,300 feet...not called "mile high" for nothin').

Most healthy adults (people with heart or lung conditions, kids and the elderly are different) can adjust to Mexico City in a couple of days and feel "normal" after three days.

World Class Athletes, with a full week to adjust, are probably going to experience minimal effects by day six or seven, but it will differ player by player.

I'm nobody's definition of a World Class Athlete, but I try to keep in good shape for my age and was usually able to do my normal work out in the hotel gym after three days days (air filtered for pollutants!!!) in Mexico City. World Class Athletes should be able to perform at close to expected levels in a week. Anyone who doesn't should see a cardiologist when they return, as there might be a problem with how they absorb oxygen into their blood. No fooling. They should see a doctor who is looking specifically for cardiac issues. Amazing how many "healthy" people drop dead of heart attacks every day because they didn't get the right kind of care.

Most important: no alcohol; drink a lot of (bottled) water; get extra sleep, since your sleep is interrupted the first few nights...not sure why, but I'd keep waking up. Did I mention, "no alcohol?" By night three and day four, I was always fine.

Quito is another story entirely. The extra 2,000 feet really made a difference to the degree that oxygen canisters were available at the end of the ramp leaving the plane. I never felt "normal" until I was there well over a week and never ventured into the gym until then.

Air Pollution will be a much greater issue for the Pats, who have been working out at 7,200 feet for the last week.

So, yes, I think they will have a real advantage over a bunch of idiots who just fly in the night before...dumb and dumber. They will be literally gasping for breath after the first quarter.

So would a player that's been practicing at high altitudes for a week sort of know their limits by then? Wouldn't that translate into an advantage over a player that's feeling the effects for the first time?

Google will actually give you real air quality numbers for Mexico City or any city you want. Right now, Mexico City looks ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News