PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats almost drafted Kevin Kolb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzafted

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
"One source close to Kolb told me the Patriots were looking closely at him and were a candidate to take him at No. 28 before they dealt the pick (talk about a selection that would have raised eyebrows)."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/nfl/huddle_up/2006/2007/05/tough-luck-donovan.html

"raised eyebrows." Try, "raised bricks to throw at the TV." If they had used that pick on a guy who would have been, at best, a backup quarterback for the first 5-9 years of his career instead of taking a linebacker or cornerback, I can't imagine how shocked we would all have been. It seems surreal. Why? Either this is bad info, which doesn't seem likely because it's a strange thing to make up, or they were thinking about trading him maybe? Would you use a 1st round pick on a backup QB when you already have a very capable Matt Cassel on the roster who has 2 years behind Brady at this point?

Help me out here, what is this?

"One source close to Kolb told me the Patriots were looking closely at him and were a candidate to take him at No. 28 before they dealt the pick (talk about a selection that would have raised eyebrows)."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/nfl/huddle_up/2006/2007/05/tough-luck-donovan.html

"raised eyebrows." Try, "raised bricks to throw at the TV." If they had used that pick on a guy who would have been, at best, a backup quarterback for the first 5-9 years of his career instead of taking a linebacker or cornerback, I can't imagine how shocked we would all have been. It seems surreal. Why? Either this is bad info, which doesn't seem likely because it's a strange thing to make up, or they were thinking about trading him maybe? Would you use a 1st round pick on a backup QB when you already have a very capable Matt Cassel on the roster who has 2 years behind Brady at this point?

It doesn't sound right, when BB was on WEEI after the draft he said they wouldn't have taken Quinn at 24 because it ties to much money into a single position and makes the rest of the roster thinner. If they wouldn't take Quinn why would they consider Kolb.

As far as throwing TVs through the window, 3 OL picked on Day 2 when the position is among the deepest on the team will drive you up the wall.

Last edited:
First off, the rumor is coming from the Kolb camp, so I'd guess that they're probably one of the least likely to know what's going on in Belichick's head.

Maybe BB was trying to spread a rumor to induce a trade-up by a lower team. Maybe Kolb is genuinely better than Cassel, and BB wants a stronger contingency plan if Brady were ever to go down. Maybe BB was actually considering drafting Kolb, and trading him immediately afterwards to the highest bidder.

A lot of possible maybe's, and the whole rumor could be BS in the first place.

That would have been weird. But we don't know how close they were, so maybe they just liked Kolb as a player but that doesn't always mean you draft him. As someon said, Belichick was on EEI and was very adament that drafting a QB in the first round is a dumb idea when you have a franchise QB in his prime.

That would have been weird. But we don't know how close they were, so maybe they just liked Kolb as a player but that doesn't always mean you draft him. As someon said, Belichick was on EEI and was very adament that drafting a QB in the first round is a dumb idea when you have a franchise QB in his prime.

Exactly my thoughts too.
Ironically enough McNabb and Houshamada (sorry-my spellcheck is broken lol) were just interviewed about it and both were shocked at the pick. Obviously Mc Nabb,who added he's now ok with it,but Housh said if the Bengals had drafted a WR in the 1st round he'd have been very upset.
Housh is a top notch WR but not necessarily the face of the franchise.
McNabb is the face but he's also had his problems. It's probably a good move for Philly but it would have been a bad choice for the Pats,not just because of Brady, but also because of what we would have given up to get him. We had Moss in mind,we wanted Meriweather,and that 1st rounder in 08 will be worth it's weight in gold in that draft-supposedly a very deep one.
I think the Pats' interest was a ploy.I'm not saying they didn't examine him,do a bit of research on him,etc but nothing solid-jmo though.

I find it hard to believe, but it wouldn't be the first time the Eagles and Pats had similar evaluations of a player. By my count, there are already two '07 draft picks that both teams wanted. Who knows, maybe they would have just turned him around within a year for a higher pick. The simple fact that he was picked by the Pats would have increased his value.

It couldn't have happened though, since nowadays these disappointing picks only happen in Philly.

First off, the rumor is coming from the Kolb camp, so I'd guess that they're probably one of the least likely to know what's going on in Belichick's head.

Maybe BB was trying to spread a rumor to induce a trade-up by a lower team. Maybe Kolb is genuinely better than Cassel, and BB wants a stronger contingency plan if Brady were ever to go down. Maybe BB was actually considering drafting Kolb, and trading him immediately afterwards to the highest bidder.

A lot of possible maybe's, and the whole rumor could be BS in the first place.

Maybe draft Kolb , and Cassel gets lots of time preseason, and is then trade bait?

c'mon, this doesn't even pass the smell test. the pats are set at starter for years, and they're currently set at back-up. any QB they'd draft would be, at best, a future back-up. you don't draft those on the first day.

besides, back-up QBs are extremely easy to pick up as free agents or via trade for a second day pick. It's not like failure to prepare for Cassell's exit would ever screw the team.

think about the lax journalistic standards for sports writing to begin with, and then consider that this is even being reported as a rumor (disclaimer: this is entirely unsubstantiated). nothing to see here, move along.

What is this? It's garbage.

Think about it. How does Kolb, or any draft pick, know where teams were going to draft him? Where do draftees get this information?

This is so stupid.

Yeah right, aka the eagles made it up so they can tell Donovan see the Patriots would of drafted him and they have brady.

I agree that sports journalists live by a very lax standard, but this is an odd thing to come out of nowhere. It's one thing when they say, "unnamed former players say blah blah blah" because it adds weight to the argument they're trying to make, but why pull this one out of the sky? I doubt that Perloff just made it up, which means that either the source was mistaken or uninformed. Or, maybe it's the truth? They've shocked us with first round picks in the past. It would be odd for the Patriots to come up specifically out of thin air, no?

And often a player will talk with teams that might potentially draft them, its how the draft works guys. You see a player that you might contemplate if they're on the board when your pick comes up in the first round, and you sit them down to see who they are and figure out if they'd be a fit for your system. If the Patriots even did that with Kolb I think it would be a little weird.

every one has to much time on there hands the patriotrs arent drafting kolb in the first round, if the rumor is true they would of done it but there is no way the rumor is true when you have brady for the next 5 or 6 years end of story

I doubt that Perloff just made it up, which means that either the source was mistaken or uninformed. Or, maybe it's the truth?
Give it up, man. Nobody bought it the first time you were trying to sell this.

A source close to Kolb? Please explain to us how someone close to a draft-elible player is familiar with the Pats draft board, and knew what the Pats were thinking when it was their turn to pick on draft day?

I agree that sports journalists live by a very lax standard, but this is an odd thing to come out of nowhere. It's one thing when they say, "unnamed former players say blah blah blah" because it adds weight to the argument they're trying to make, but why pull this one out of the sky? I doubt that Perloff just made it up, which means that either the source was mistaken or uninformed. Or, maybe it's the truth? They've shocked us with first round picks in the past. It would be odd for the Patriots to come up specifically out of thin air, no?

or someone with an agenda said it to him, he asked around in an attempt to substantiate it, and got nothing. playing the hand he was dealt, perloff reported it as a rumor.

and why would the pats be the team mentioned? maybe because they're adept at drafting and the idea they'd have drafted him at 28 legitimizes drafting him in the 30s. maybe because they also have a franchise qb like the eagles with donovan. maybe because they're the talk of the nfl as the most active team in free agency.

there are plenty of reasons why someone would name-drop the Patriots.

This poster on their page summed it up best, though:

Posted: 3:19 PM by Anonymous
Kolb had about as much of a chance being drafted @ 28 by the Patriots as I have of prying Gisele away from Tom Brady.

:rofl:

I don't doubt they were interested in him. Had him in or worked him out I believe. But he was projected as a mid rounder before the QB starved teams started pushing all the second tier QB's stock up, worked mostly out of the shotgun in college so teaching him to run a pro style offense and read defenses is going to be a bit of a project. I would not have been surprised to see them go for him in the 4th, or even with their late 3rd in a weak draft they were trading out of. They took Rohan in the 3rd after all. But #28 is wishful thinking on the part of Kolb's supporters. They were able to trade that pick for a 4th they traded for Moss and a first in 2008. That's value you are not likely to get flipping a backup QB for at least a couple of seasons, if ever. And that would be what they'd be drafting for, a developmental player to hopefully replace Cassel in 2008 if they in fact flip him and prove to be good enough to be flipped himself for value himself in 2009-10.

It doesn't sound right, when BB was on WEEI after the draft he said they wouldn't have taken Quinn at 24 because it ties to much money into a single position and makes the rest of the roster thinner. If they wouldn't take Quinn why would they consider Kolb.

As far as throwing TVs through the window, 3 OL picked on Day 2 when the position is among the deepest on the team will drive you up the wall.
Repeat 10 times (or a hundred or whatever). The Patriots draft for best value/expected capability at the draft position, not for need. That has been often expressed by Bill Belichick and takes a lot of the mystery out of what seems to be puzzling you. The only variation on that, which is also something that Belichick has said in interviews, is that if there are two players that they feel are truly equal, then the player who's position is a little less deep on the roster may get a little extra consideration because of that. Just looking at 1st day picks, presumably the most significant opportunity and importance to the team, will lead you to a similar view.

It is hugely amusing, considering what Belichick/Pioli have publicly stated and what they have demonstrated in their draft selections, to see the pundits 100% discussing what the Patriots needs are (especially for 1st round) and making predictions based on that. Of course they are almost always wrong ! But they never learn. Mike Mayock may come the closest with his continuing list of most capable players still left as the draft proceeds. At least some of the players that Mayock has on his list when the Patriots exercise their pick turn out to be the ones that the Patriots pick. But he doesn't really seem to have all the same valuation of players as the Pats do. Probably most pointed example would be Logan Mankins.

/cheers

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts too.
Ironically enough McNabb and Houshamada (sorry-my spellcheck is broken lol) were just interviewed about it and both were shocked at the pick. Obviously Mc Nabb,who added he's now ok with it,but Housh said if the Bengals had drafted a WR in the 1st round he'd have been very upset.
Housh is a top notch WR but not necessarily the face of the franchise.
McNabb is the face but he's also had his problems. It's probably a good move for Philly but it would have been a bad choice for the Pats,not just because of Brady, but also because of what we would have given up to get him. We had Moss in mind,we wanted Meriweather,and that 1st rounder in 08 will be worth it's weight in gold in that draft-supposedly a very deep one.
I think the Pats' interest was a ploy.I'm not saying they didn't examine him,do a bit of research on him,etc but nothing solid-jmo though.
Just for your future reference, the spelling is 'Houshyamudda'. :D

I think that the Pats were interested in Kolb, but not in the first round. From what little film I've seen of him he looks to be a guy with good pocket presence that can create when rolling outside of the pocket. The Pats were probably thinking more along the lines of their late 3rd rounder at the earliest though. Keep in mind that the Pats scout everyone. It's just due diligenc. Their actual level of interest is hard to tell. If only I could be the fly on the wall in the Pats war room on draft day. I'm sure there is some fascinating wheeling and dealing as well as discussion going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes