PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Plane Scraped Tail Last Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Based on this Instagram post:

EDIT: Might not be displaying correctly so here's the URL:
Code:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcnqbJHFfFb/

there's some speculation that the Patriots plane might have scraped its tail when it landed last Saturday.

If so, both the team and the plane were dragging their asses last week in South Florida! :D

A "moment ago" comment from a guy who claims to have inspected the aircraft himself says "no damage".

The nose was a couple degrees high, though, according to comments I've read elsewhere.
The plane has something in common with another nose in Miami that was high...

4528D53700000578-0-image-m-45_1507523991463.jpg

Tell the pilots to keep their nose clean !

Could someone who knows more about this than do I, preferably a pilot, explain what could have caused this?
Pilot error?
Improper loading of cargo space?
Something else?

I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles (have my lifetime Million Mile Gold Card from American).

I've had two engines blow and had the pilot pull up seconds before landing several times (scariest was when we came out of the fog and clouds on a rainy day and, lo and behold!, there was a dense forest where the runway was "supposed" to be).

I've landed multiple times at Toncontin Airport, where the urban legend among frequent flyers is that the US airlines only allow former Navy Pilots, who've landed on Aircraft Carriers, bring in a Commercial Airliner (https://jalopnik.com/5302783/honduras-worlds-trickiest-landing).

But, I've never experienced a tail scraping the runway in what looks like a possible failure of the rear landing apparatus.
If I'm not mistaken this could have been a disaster and I'm kind of wondering why the local press wasn't all over it.

lots of different reasons for tail strikes, mostly pilot error:

AERO - Tail Strikes: Prevention

some planes have a tail strike skid plate to help minimize the damage, for instance on this 737-800:

31090_1294314230.jpg

6464924371_849c5342ef_b.jpg

if the strike is hard enough to push the plate up so that the red line disappears, then the plane has to be checked out by maintenance before flying again.

Could someone who knows more about this than do I, preferably a pilot, explain what could have caused this?
Pilot error?
Improper loading of cargo space?
Something else?

I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles (have my lifetime Million Mile Gold Card from American).

I've had two engines blow and had the pilot pull up seconds before landing several times (scariest was when we came out of the fog and clouds on a rainy day and, lo and behold!, there was a dense forest where the runway was "supposed" to be).

I've landed multiple times at Toncontin Airport, where the urban legend among frequent flyers is that the US airlines only allow former Navy Pilots, who've landed on Aircraft Carriers, bring in a Commercial Airliner (https://jalopnik.com/5302783/honduras-worlds-trickiest-landing).

But, I've never experienced a tail scraping the runway in what looks like a possible failure of the rear landing apparatus.
If I'm not mistaken this could have been a disaster and I'm kind of wondering why the local press wasn't all over it.

its been a while since I looked at aerodynamics, and never flown, but my assumption was that pilot lifted up nose too early, before attaining enough speed, so didn't have the required lift to get off the ground when nose was at that angle...if thats the case, it makes sense to not have it happen often, making sure you're at the right speed isnt that difficult...

its been a while since I looked at aerodynamics, and never flown, but my assumption was that pilot lifted up nose too early, before attaining enough speed, so didn't have the required lift to get off the ground when nose was at that angle...if thats the case, it makes sense to not have it happen often, making sure you're at the right speed isnt that difficult...

According to the posted link it happened during the landing.

If it happened during takeoff, the pilot is supposed to dump fuel and return to the airport to have the plane inspected.
But this is reported to have happened during landing, so my question stands.

Last edited:
As someone with some knowledge in aviation, the mostly likely cause was pilot error. The weight and balance is taken care of prior to takeoff by the pilots at the 'gate', before taxi begins. This includes payload (passengers and their luggage) and the fuel load.

When landing, you're primarily managing speed and altitude. The slower you can approach the runway, the better, because that gives you more margin for error and it goes without saying that it's easier to stop a slower moving object than a faster moving object.

When landing the goal is for ~3.0-3.5 degrees of flare, and it's clear the plane had significantly more flare than that when it landed, although that doesn't guarantee a tailstrike.

What likely happened is the pilots got a bit too low, and/or had too great a rate of descent (referred to as vertical speed) as they approached the runway/touchdown, and flared a bit too hard, either to maintain altitude, or to reduce the rate of descent, making for a softer touchdown. Maybe both. As you approach the runway, nearly all airliners have altitude callouts, which are loud audio callouts of your current altitude above the ground by a robotic'ish voice in the flight-deck. Although they vary from company to company, these callouts generally occur at 1000, 500, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, and 10 feet, respectively. So as the pilots approach touchdown they are precisely aware of their altitude above the ground.

The other variable in all of this is speed. As I said before, the lower the speed, the better (this is why flaps are deployed on the wing on approach/landing), they provide lift, allowing the plane to be functionally aerodynamic at lower speeds. Still, there is a critical speed that a plane must maintain in order to prevent stalling, a phenomenon that doesn't describe any kind of engine failure, but rather, describes a scenario in which the plane doesn't have sufficient lift; there isn't an equal amount of air flowing under and over the wings. This leads to a loss of aerodynamic viability and the plane begins to sink (or fall, if you will) in essentially an uncontrollable manner. Pilots have a specific landing speed to aim for, and the rule of thumb is that you should be +/- 5 knots of that specified landing speed. This speed is based on the weight of the aircraft and the selected flaps setting. This landing speed is generally sufficiently above your stall speed, and should you approach your stall speed, you will get audio warnings annunciated in the flight-deck, and should you begin to stall, the yoke begins to violently vibrate (called a "stick-shaker"). Furthermore, the speed you shouldn't fall below is clearly shown visually on the PFD (primary flight display).

The instinct of untrained pilots is to pull-up when in a stall, as common sense says 'I should pull back on the yoke as the ground is getting closer", when in reality, you should add engine power to provide lift. Given that these were at the very least commercial pilots, likely ATP Pilots, I would figure they were well versed in how to handle (and prevent) stalls, and I doubt they got anywhere close to stalling, although stranger things have happened, such as Air France 447.

At any rate, it seems the pilots could have handled the landing better but as they say, "any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing".

Last edited:
Many thanks to @dreighver for the thorough answer to my questions above.

A friend of mine, who flew in Vietnam, once told me that "every landing is a controlled crash" and also said words to the effect that "anytime you walk away from a landing, it was a good landing."

Given the hundreds of thousands of miles I've flown on Commercial and private planes, I sometimes worry when I take off that the odds are going to catch up with me one of these times. I'm kind of hoping that a few "close calls" combine to mean that I'm ok, odds-wise.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes