PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots brought in someone to teach them about millenials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked it better when we were Gen Y, that was a thing right? I just try to draw comparisons to my parents and siblings that are 20 years older than me (32 atm) and find most of my/generational gripes can be reduced to 4 things:

1. Jobs were mostly abundant - I have 15 years experience in Pharmacy with the same chain and had to bust my ass to get my Pharmacist job. There are just too many well qualified employees that you have to outshine everyone. My siblings, albeit hard workers, had little difficulty finding jobs in the 90s and could bounce between them at a whim depending on what they wanted to be paid. Now they're all stuck at their jobs for fear of losing them, because they understand the marketplace is crap.

I know many people that haven't found positions after getting a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, but that's probably due to over saturation of the market. I think it's just common belief among Millennials that its very difficult to find a job that pays well enough to live off of. Maybe our lifestyles are too lavish? (iPhones, Cars etc.) - I don't know.

2. Housing was inexpensive. My parents bought their first house many years ago when neither had colleges degrees or high paying jobs. My older siblings all purchased houses before 30 with jobs that pay far less than mine. I can barely afford a **** apartment in NH on a six figure salary with student loans and saving for retirement.

3. Schooling cost is a joke. Because my father eventually earned a lot of money I was ineligible for most student assistance sans loans and scholarships. No familial help meant a high debt burden that I'll have to have for the next 20-30 years. 45k-60k a year for 6 years while my choice might have been the worst decision of my life. When I look at my siblings they're educational costs are a fraction of what I paid in a year of my education. The high cost of education must be directly tied with the ease to get loans. If it's easy to get loans then colleges will raise tuition, its a feedback loop. The bubble will burst soon, and it's going to be scary for our economy. I have a BS and a PharmD and owe ~450k.

4. Healthcare is nice to have but I would have rather rolled the dice than pay what I did during school. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act the cost of health care for students doubled at my university putting a massive burden on my wallet. While not the perfect picture of health I would have rather gone without it and rolled the dice or had just catastrophic coverage. My deductibles were so high that it made it useless to bother going to a PCP or have any work done unless I wanted to go to the university's NP, who provided the most basic of care for free. The way health insurance is setup right now is a tax on the young and healthy. It makes sense but the burden is very high. I don't think there is a simple answer to fix the situation, there are just so many elderly boomers to support in the system and given the de novo therapies present it raises healthcare costs to a astronomically high level. With that said I'd rather have these people alive and cost more than dead. Yes, I'm human.

5. The costs of everything has risen higher than inflation. This should be self explanatory and puts greater burden on newer generations not just mine.

With all these gripes it just puts more emphasis on having to stand out. I wasn't the best student growing up and had to bust my ass to earn my doctorate, job and life today. I think that is lost on many in my generation (all generations have them) but they certainly have gripes that are worth listening to.

Now let me get back to my snowflake life of listening to baby boomers complain that they NEED the brand name of a medication because it works better, regardless of what numerous studies state.

Last edited:
Renaissance, or Baroque?

I like both, but I'm more partial to jazz, and classical rock.

Ive tried and tried and tried but I could never really get into jazz. I appreciate it and respect the great musicians but its not something I would proactively listen to.

We have to compete in a global economy now, even in our local regions ... something our parents never dreamed of having to do. We have to compete against people from India for IT jobs, and a lot of those guys really know their stuff.. and will do the work for 1/4 the price

That's because the Boomers' parents destroyed the two major manufacturing economies (Germany & Japan) in WWII, so there was no competition for 25 years while we rebuilt them in our image. Then the genius Boomers decided to financialize the economy for the short term benefits that would accrue to them. Meanwhile, they have screwed everyone that comes after them from GenX to the Millennials.

This won't change until the system is rebooted. Unfortunately, that will be pretty ugly across the board.

Open question as I really don't know the answer- if there is one.

Is the Millennial stereotype considered Liberal or Conservative?

My personal experience is once they have more information, its either but the stereotype is Liberal.

Open question as I really don't know the answer- if there is one.

Is the Millennial stereotype considered Liberal or Conservative?

My personal experience is once they have more information, its either but the stereotype is Liberal.

The millennial stereotype is 100% what conservatives imagine happens if your parents were liberals. Of course lots of conservative parents coddle their kids too much too. Plus teen pregnancy is most prevalent in super duper conservative states like Texas, where like 2/3 of the population thinks God told them that sex education makes your kids gay.

Something to keep in mind is that there are tons of millennials in the alt-right and even outright neo-Nazis. Or to go in a positive direction, they also participate in the military, police, fire departments, medicine, and so on. Many of them are better "real Americans" than the people calling them names. It's not like fat old farts are out on infantry patrols in Kandahar or something.

I liked it better when we were Gen Y, that was a thing right? I just try to draw comparisons to my parents and siblings that are 20 years older than me (32 atm) and find most of my/generational gripes can be reduced to 4 things:

1. Jobs were mostly abundant - I have 15 years experience in Pharmacy with the same chain and had to bust my ass to get my Pharmacist job. There are just too many well qualified employees that you have to outshine everyone. My siblings, albeit hard workers, had little difficulty finding jobs in the 90s and could bounce between them at a whim depending on what they wanted to be paid. Now they're all stuck at their jobs for fear of losing them, because they understand the marketplace is crap.

I know many people that haven't found positions after getting a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, but that's probably due to over saturation of the market. I think it's just common belief among Millennials that its very difficult to find a job that pays well enough to live off of. Maybe our lifestyles are too lavish? (iPhones, Cars etc.) - I don't know.

2. Housing was inexpensive. My parents bought their first house many years ago when neither had colleges degrees or high paying jobs. My older siblings all purchased houses before 30 with jobs that pay far less than mine. I can barely afford a **** apartment in NH on a three figure salary with student loans and saving for retirement.

3. Schooling cost is a joke. Because my father eventually earned a lot of money I was ineligible for most student assistance sans loans and scholarships. No familial help meant a high debt burden that I'll have to have for the next 20-30 years. 45k-60k a year for 6 years while my choice might have been the worst decision of my life. When I look at my siblings they're educational costs are a fraction of what I paid in a year of my education. The high cost of education must be directly tied with the ease to get loans. If it's easy to get loans then colleges will raise tuition, its a feedback loop. The bubble will burst soon, and it's going to be scary for our economy. I have a BS and a PharmD and owe ~450k.

4. Healthcare is nice to have but I would have rather rolled the dice than pay what I did during school. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act the cost of health care for students doubled at my university putting a massive burden on my wallet. While not the perfect picture of health I would have rather gone without it and rolled the dice or had just catastrophic coverage. My deductibles were so high that it made it useless to bother going to a PCP or have any work done unless I wanted to go to the university's NP, who provided the most basic of care for free. The way health insurance is setup right now is a tax on the young and healthy. It makes sense but the burden is very high. I don't think there is a simple answer to fix the situation, there are just so many elderly boomers to support in the system and given the de novo therapies present it raises healthcare costs to a astronomically high level. With that said I'd rather have these people alive and cost more than dead. Yes, I'm human.

5. The costs of everything has risen higher than inflation. This should be self explanatory and puts greater burden on newer generations not just mine.

With all these gripes it just puts more emphasis on having to stand out. I wasn't the best student growing up and had to bust my ass to earn my doctorate, job and life today. I think that is lost on many in my generation (all generations have them) but they certainly have gripes that are worth listening to.

Now let me get back to my snowflake life of listening to baby boomers complain that they NEED the brand name of a medication because it works better, regardless of what numerous studies state.

You don't need my sympathy but my god...owing $450k just for schooling is ridiculous.

We've got 3 daughters and I'm swagging $750k- $1m for their 4 year degrees.

With that said, the good news is they'll be debt free. The bad news is they still won't have jobs.

Last edited:
You don't need my sympathy but my god...owing $450k just for schooling is ridiculous.

We've got 3 daughters and I'm swagging $750- $1m for their 4 year degrees.

With that said, the good news is they'll be debt free. The bad news is they still won't have jobs.

You can thank our healthcare for the jobs problem. Increased life expectancy means putting off retirement and fewer jobs for the young. It's simple math. Once all the boomers die off we'll probably see a boom in jobs that some administration will attribute to their doing.

As for my loans, I'll be OK - I earn a lot and in a field that will always be around. It's certainly a sticker shock. One of my roommates was getting his DMD during that time and I think he owes close to a million. Again he will earn a lot so I'm sure he'll be OK.

Hope your daughters choose fields that pay well. Don't let them get history or communication degrees, unless they are top in their field.

in 100% honesty, this is my 17th year teaching.....my most coddled, entitled, mom & dad do everything for me type kids tend to come from my more conservative leaning parents.....i see far more independent thinkers and independent kids from the more liberal crowd.....generalizing of course, but that's my observation

I have two nephews that are millennials and not afraid of hard work. But they've both been spoiled so much they think iPhones, high end laptops, cars, housing, international vacations, season tickets and the like are guaranteed by the Constitution.

I am GenX but although somethings about Millennials bother me, they grew up with terrorism, war their entire life, massive government debt because Baby Boomers wanted tax cuts and deficit spending to pump the economy rather than doing what is right. Their housing and health insurance costs are crazy as more and more is outsourced. Most I know and work with have no concept that they will have to save for retirement but are still dealing with student loan debt. They will work their whole life paying SS to the baby boomers who screwed the country's finances. They will reach their 50s right about the time AI and robots take away even more jobs. They are F'd.

Yea they are fragile, can't take constructive or any criticism but were raised in schools that did open circle by parents who had them over scheduled. No generation in history has had to deal with social media the way they have in their formative years. I think it has wired their brains differently. There was a theory that people stopped mentally maturing (growing up) at the age they became famous. Become famous at 13 and spend the rest of your life acting like a 13 year old. I truly believe that social media has messed up the kids brains and kept them from maturing like past generations. I see so much depression, anxiety etc... and so many of them don't seem to know that the people's lives (friends, coworkers etc...) they see on Instagram, is not real and they compare themselves to impossible standards.

I think the millennials have a raw deal.
Do you personally know Debbie Downer? A person born tomorrow is better off than the previous day. My views are based on history.

But they've both been spoiled so much they think iPhones, high end laptops, cars, housing, international vacations, season tickets and the like are guaranteed by the Constitution.

While not granted in the Constitution I think most agree that housing is a basic need. We don't have support programs that help people go on vacation but spend millions on rectifying the homeless.

I 100% agree with all the others though.

in 100% honesty, this is my 17th year teaching.....my most coddled, entitled, mom & dad do everything for me type kids tend to come from my more conservative leaning parents.....i see far more independent thinkers and independent kids from the more liberal crowd.....generalizing of course, but that's my observation

Boy do I want to know where you teach. :p

Mrs RW and I are conservative -leaning parents and I think we've made a conscience effort not to be "helicopter parents" and be ok with them "swimming in the deep end and see what happens" and form their own opinions but I'd be lying if we did that 100% of the time.

Maybe its reading them The National Review and Charles Krauthammer at bedtime has caused this. :p

Boy do I want to know where you teach. :p

Mrs RW and I are conservative -leaning parents and I think we've made a conscience effort not to be "helicopter parents" and be ok with them "swimming in the deep end and see what happens" and form their own opinions but I'd be lying if we did that 100% of the time.

Maybe its reading them The National Review and Charles Krauthammer at bedtime has caused this. :p

my free range, hands off parents tend to trend liberal

some of my biggest helicopters tend to be my most traditional parents, which trend towards conservative

weirdly i think the worst offenders, the ones that even drive their own kids crazy, tend to not only be very right but very, very christian

plenty of helicopter liberals out there.....our school is fairly diverse politically, and fairly small......that's those have been my observations over the past 17 years lol

The millennial stereotype is 100% what conservatives imagine happens if your parents were liberals. Of course lots of conservative parents coddle their kids too much too. Plus teen pregnancy is most prevalent in super duper conservative states like Texas, where like 2/3 of the population thinks God told them that sex education makes your kids gay.

Something to keep in mind is that there are tons of millennials in the alt-right and even outright neo-Nazis. Or to go in a positive direction, they also participate in the military, police, fire departments, medicine, and so on. Many of them are better "real Americans" than the people calling them names. It's not like fat old farts are out on infantry patrols in Kandahar or something.

Very good point about there being tons of millenials who totally buy into the alt right. The alt right specifically aims to "recruit" insecure white teen males. If you visit ANY video game community on the internet, you'll quickly understand that they make PatsFans look like San Francisco. Those aren't old people. Those are people my age.

my free range, hands off parents tend to trend liberal

some of my biggest helicopters tend to be my most traditional parents, which trend towards conservative

weirdly i think the worst offenders, the ones that even drive their own kids crazy, tend to not only be very right but very, very christian

plenty of helicopter liberals out there.....our school is fairly diverse politically, and fairly small......that's those have been my observations over the past 17 years lol
Your comments are extremely surprising to me.
I was very involved with my children's teachers, keeping in touch whether there was a problem or not, checking in, etc.
almost every single interaction I had with teachers, administrators, guidance counselors, coaches etc involved them making a statement about how good it is that I get involved, most parents don't, and they wish more would.
With that there is no way any of my children's teachers would know my political beliefs.
My kids attended a suburban reasonably affluent school district.
How are you learning the political beliefs of your students parents?

You know what they say -- if you haven't encountered any bullies while in school, that means that you were the bully! ;)
I played a lot of sports (football, wrestling & track). I got beat up playing some of them but not during school.

When I was really young, kids had fights all the time. Some started fights with me, but I didn't consider them bullies. Maybe they thought they were though

Once in junior high through high school, my teammates and buddies had my back.

No bullies in college

Aww..

Is that short enough or do I need to point out the irony?
Late nights lead to poor judgment and terrible posting. You've written the book on that in this thread hahahah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe