PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other Recievers Don't Seem to need time

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
Don't we run a sight adjusted offense? Pre and post snap. That means they not only need to know all the plays, and run precise routes, and develop the requisite timing, they need to know how to read defenses and how to react and adjust their routes to them according to both pre and post snap reads. Otherwise their QB is throwing to a spot where someone should have been open if they made the proper adjustment.

I imagine we could dumb down this passing offense after four years of refining it on the way to 2 more superbowls if the fanbase is impatient or because NEM is unhappy. But if we believe the guys who have been brought in are capable of progressing that would he a pretty shortsighted strategy since the existing system maximizes our QB's cerebral skill set. Unfortunately there is a steeper learning curve involved in integrating a new WR into this system, and we are trying to integrate 4 all at once. That process will be incremental based on their grasp of a complex offense with all it's nuances, and as always their health and availability.

"But if we believe the guys who have been brought in are capable of progressing ..."

This is where the risk emerges. I am not yet confident that, based on their unimpressive track record in less complicated offenses, Caldwell and Gabriel are capable of ever fully grasping, much less mastering, this more complicated offense. Say what you will about Givens and Meion, but at least they understood their responsibilities (Givens just couldn't hold onto the football in '02). It certainly helped that Troy Brown and David Patten were already here.

I fear that, for the pats to be offensively where they want to be, Chad Jackson and someone else will be their #1 and #2 WRs. Doug Gabriel may not ever be as good as some believe he already is. A fifth-round pick is not a steal; it's the maximum I would have given to Oakland.

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
Also it's one thing when you are trying to assimilate ONE new receiver into an offense at a time. The Pats are trying to do FOUR at the same time.

it's a fair thread but Zippo nails it on the head. It's like a brand new offense really...the whole base 2/3-TE set thing, PLUS all the new personnel, most of whom are either brand new to the NFL, or are coming in from other systems.

Some of these guys may NEVER work out...I really hope Caldwell continues to develop because he certainly has a long way to go.

Others may not take long. and the sooner the better, right now it's Ben Watson and Troy Brown and they're going to double Watson until we get him some help. We all love Troy but we're not going very far if he continues to be the go-to guy.

Let's be a little more patient. The games don't really count for another few months. If we're not any better at that point, or we start piling up the injuries again, then you can go ahead and stab us with the proverbial fork.

we've seen Tom pull off these transitions almost on an annual basis without harldy any deviation in his production, other than it has gradually trended up every year despite the turnover.

This is a rough one, but we have to give them a chance.

semper fi amigos

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
We have a receiver better than Branch. His name: Chad Wolfegang Jackson.;)

Chad Wolfegang Jackson I thought he was just a figment of our imagination, a mere product of mental invention; a fantastic notion.

Something invented, made up, or fabricated even.

Murphys95 said:
Even though I think it's a valid comparison, I think it's premature to say that Lelie and Branch are easing nicely into their new situations. Just as an example, Doug Gabriel has more receptions and touchdowns than Lelie and Branch.

The offense as a whole appears out of rythym, and frankly it might just be due to it being week 3 of new season.
Lelie is tied for the most overrated receiver in the nfl... with Randle el.

BelichickFan said:
There are a few excuses, like Jackson missing all of camp and Gabriel being acquired late but as Stallworth shows, that's basically BS.

Brady and these guys need to get their sh!t together and start making plays. Excuse time is over.

Wow, are Stallworth's stats that much better than Gabriel's at this point?

upstater1 said:
Wow, are Stallworth's stats that much better than Gabriel's at this point?
Only in mg's mind.

mgteich said:
Why do our receivers have such trouble, and need time to get in synch with Brady? Other receivers don't seem to be having this problem: not Stallworth, not Walker, and not Leslie, and not Branch.
Why is our situation different?
it seems to me that in your rookie year, you show it. either you have 'IT' or you don't.
i think, i guess, that jackson has it. but that hamstring! i keep thinking of terry glenn's tenure here.
it seems to me that ze hamstring (and the shoulder and ankle) are the ones where you just cant push somebody onto the field. it'll pop and pop until there's a chronic problem. then the player is out for 3-4 games every season.
maroney clearly don't need no time. some of these other rookies, like mankins, and o'callaghan, look like invisible 5-year starters. its easy to see it in maroney. just as easy to see it when brady got on the field.
now troy brown is a different story. he's kind of like what BB/SP seem to be doing with bam phillips. troy is a fine athlete but he's a self-made WR. maybe took him 4 years to get there.
same with faulk. he showed IT his rookie year, and they kept him until he learned to protect the ball and the passer, etc.

Bruschi - didn't have 'it'
Graham - no way
Vrable (with Pitt)

and so on

ilduce06410 said:
it seems to me that in your rookie year, you show it. either you have 'IT' or you don't.

Michael Clayton of the Bucs had one of the most impressive seasons ever for a Rookie WR, two years later, would you say he has IT?

Brady is off and the receivers aren't great. Jackson is good but he won't play for a while. I wonder what BB would do if he had drafted a Chad Johnson.

he's a great example

Lockdown06 said:
Michael Clayton of the Bucs had one of the most impressive seasons ever for a Rookie WR, two years later, would you say he has IT?
no question, there he is.
but do you disagree with the notion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back