PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other Recievers Don't Seem to need time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Why do our receivers have such trouble, and need time to get in synch with Brady? Other receivers don't seem to be having this problem: not Stallworth, not Walker, and not Leslie, and not Branch.

Why is our situation different?

It depends on how different the offense that they are entering is from the one that they left. For instance Stallworth said the one is Philly is very similar to the one in New Orleans, while Gabriel said the one here is completely different from the one in Oakland.

Also it's one thing when you are trying to assimilate ONE new receiver into an offense at a time. The Pats are trying to do FOUR at the same time. This makes it much harder. You don't have the regulars you can rely on until the new guys get more open, nor do you have them drawing as much coverage to help take the burden off the new ones. The Pats offense is having to deal with way more than the Eagles of Falcons offense did, so naturally it is going to take longer to adjust.

mgteich said:
Why do our receivers have such trouble, and need time to get in synch with Brady? Other receivers don't seem to be having this problem: not Stallworth, not Walker, and not Leslie, and not Branch.

Because they're on the bench.:confused:

mgteich said:

The timing went pretty well in 2001 when Brady burst on the scene. Eventually, the team and Brady will need to address his injury which obviously needs surgery because he's had problems for 3 years now.

I'm convinced he has a frayed rotator cuff...he's less accurate and short arming the ball trying to get more power from his elbow and wrist...wouldn't bother me one bit to see him have surgery if that's what he needs...he's earned his health, he's sacrificed his body for this team since game 1 here.

mgteich said:

The answer is: Those receivers are good. When they run their routes, they are ALWAYS OPEN. It doesn't take a great Qb to deliver them the ball. The Pats receivers are not good; so they are not really open. Therefore Brady and McDaniels have to match what Brady does best to what the receivers do best, and that takes time and adjustment for everyone: it's like calibrating a delicate instrument that a breath of air will throw out of tune. This is why Chad Jackson needs to be on the field ASAP if possible, to hell with seniority. He will simplify everything: Brady won't need to adjust to him, because Chad will simply be open all the time. NOTE: Stallworth is out with a hammy, so that would have been a bad trade IMO. Plus he needs a new contract.

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:
The timing went pretty well in 2001 when Brady burst on the scene. Eventually, the team and Brady will need to address his injury which obviously needs surgery because he's had problems for 3 years now.

I'm convinced he has a frayed rotator cuff...he's less accurate and short arming the ball trying to get more power from his elbow and wrist...wouldn't bother me one bit to see him have surgery if that's what he needs...he's earned his health, he's sacrificed his body for this team since game 1 here.

If he is injured and it is a chronic thing that isn't going to go away on its own, the team would definitely sit him.

Even though I think it's a valid comparison, I think it's premature to say that Lelie and Branch are easing nicely into their new situations. Just as an example, Doug Gabriel has more receptions and touchdowns than Lelie and Branch.

The offense as a whole appears out of rythym, and frankly it might just be due to it being week 3 of new season.

PonyExpress said:
The answer is: Those receivers are good. When they run their routes, they are ALWAYS OPEN. It doesn't take a great Qb to deliver them the ball. The Pats receivers are not good; so they are not really open. Therefore Brady and McDaniels have to match what Brady does best to what the receivers do best, and that takes time and adjustment for everyone: it's like calibrating a delicate instrument that a breath of air will throw out of tune. This is why Chad Jackson needs to be on the field ASAP if possible, to hell with seniority. He will simplify everything: Brady won't need to adjust to him, because Chad will simply be open all the time. NOTE: Stallworth is out with a hammy, so that would have been a bad trade IMO. Plus he needs a new contract.

I was at the game, and I saw receivers getting open, not all the time but some of the time, and Brady just wasn't getting them the ball. I'm not saying there is something wrong with him or he is injured, the receivers are jsut not on the same page with him, causing him to be tentative and uncomfortable. Surely the receivers were not getting open as much as they could be, but a healthy Doug Gabriel and Chad Jackson will likely help that.

P.S.-Yeah that Ashley Lelie is definitely a world burner.:p

There are a few excuses, like Jackson missing all of camp and Gabriel being acquired late but as Stallworth shows, that's basically BS.

Brady and these guys need to get their sh!t together and start making plays. Excuse time is over.

PonyExpress said:
NOTE: Stallworth is out with a hammy, so that would have been a bad trade IMO. Plus he needs a new contract.
Stallworth is signed through next year just like The Twig was. Same with Gabriel and Caldwell.

BelichickFan said:
Stallworth is signed through next year just like The Twig was. Same with Gabriel and Caldwell.
Yeah, but he's already pimping for a new deal...Deion's a labor hero to wacko Wrs across the nation, a regular Joe Hill.

PonyExpress said:
Yeah, but he's already pimping for a new deal...Deion's a labor hero to wacko Wrs across the nation, a regular Joe Hill.
Well you said he "needs" a new contract, not that he "wants" one :)

zippo59 said:
I was at the game, and I saw receivers getting open, not all the time but some of the time, and Brady just wasn't getting them the ball.

I believe that. A lot of the naysayers don't understand that being "open" in the NFL involves both space and time. The routes are all timed off the QB's drop -- 3-step, 5-step, 7-step. The "timing" part is that the receiver needs to come open at the right time to mesh with the time it takes for the QB to complete each drop and throw the ball. The 3-step drops are timed for short routes, 5-step for intermediate routes, 7-step for deep routes. Fans have to keep in mind that some of these throws have to be made before the receiver comes out of his break.

I saw a couple of throws Sunday where Brady looked like he was counting on the receiver squaring off a route a little sharper and so forth. They'll start to get on the same page. The big problem right now is that we only have two receivers who were in training camp (Caldwell and Brown).

Our receivers are not the shiftiest or speediest. They get open based on the whole offensive configuration. Receivers like Branch get open because they're fast and shifty. Too bad we don't have a receiver like Branch.

Patters said:
Our receivers are not the shiftiest or speediest. They get open based on the whole offensive configuration. Receivers like Branch get open because they're fast and shifty. Too bad we don't have a receiver like Branch.
We have a receiver better than Branch. His name: Chad Wolfegang Jackson.;)

Patters said:

Branch is quick. If you're talking about 40 times, I think he'd be 3rd on the team, just a hair above Gabriel.

Of course they're all taller and stronger than Branch by far.

Branch is more like Troy Brown in his prime, though he never had 97 or 101 catches in a season.

PonyExpress said:

Stallworth, Walker, Meion = good WRs

Gabriel, Caldwell, JSmith = not as good

Remember, Gabriel scored a 12 on his Wonderlic, so it's not like the guy has a photographic memory.

If Jonathan Smith (and Willie Andrews, too) isn't returning kicks/punts, then what the eff is he doing on this roster?

Perhaps a dumbing-down of the playbook is needed, until the WRs catch up to the rest of the O.

captain stone said:
Stallworth, Walker, Meion = good WRs

Gabriel, Caldwell, JSmith = not as good

Remember, Gabriel scored a 12 on his Wonderlic, so it's not like the guy has a photographic memory.

If Jonathan Smith (and Willie Andrews, too) isn't returning kicks/punts, then what the eff is he doing on this roster?

Perhaps a dumbing-down of the playbook is needed, until the WRs catch up to the rest of the O.

Eh, I think the WR position has the lowest cerebral requirements of any position on the football field. Case in point: Chris Henry. I think the issue is simply timing between the QB and receivers, and it will get better quickly with more practice and game reps.

This may be stupid, or may have been suggested previously, but the Pats have been known to put players in multiple positions... so why not line up Watson at flanker or split-end more regularly and have Graham & Thomas at TE? It's not like the Pats run many 3-TE sets.

mgteich said:

I give up, why is our situation different? Using http://www.nfl.com/scores I checked the statistics for the players you mentioned and two of our own. Stallworth was traded at the end of the preseason, as was Gabriel, Lelie was traded in time to play in the 4th preseason game, and we all know about Deion.

Stallworth: Wk1 - 6 catches 141 yds 1 TD; Wk2 - Started Zero Stats; Wk3 - Did not play.

Gabriel: Wk1 - Did not play. Wk 2 - Zero Stats; Wk3 - 6 catches 65 yds 1 TD

Lelie: Wk1 - 1 catch 5 yds; Wk2 - 3 catches 22 yds; Wk3 - 1 catch 48 yds; He also had 1 catch for 8 yds in week 4 of the preseason.

Branch: Wk 1 - Did not play. Wk2 - Did not play. Wk 3 - 2 catches 23 yds

-----

Caldwell was signed as a Free Agent last Spring and Walker was traded for during the draft - so they had similar work up time with their clubs. Of course most folks consider Walker number 1 talent and Caldwell a 2 at best.

Walker: Wk1 - 3 catches 41 yds; Wk2 - 5 catches 79 yds; Wk3 - 3 catches 130 yds 2 TD

Caldwell: Wk1 - 2 catches 33 yds; Wk 2 - 2 catches 14 yds; Wk 3 - 3 catches 46 yds

Just looking at game stats it would seem that your premise is based on wishful thinking. Why it makes you feel better to assume the Patriots are doing such a poor job developing new receivers might be the next question.

mgteich said:

Are you saying Branch is in sync with Hasselback because of 2 catches? Lelie 5 catches in 3 games with Atlanta?

I'm sorry but how is that any better than Caldwell or Gabriel or Jackson?

Stallworth I'll give you even though he went to a similar offense but is now hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back