PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: WAS should trade Cousins now

The Washington football team shouldn't pay Cousins more than around 15 million a year. They need to set an example to the QB market. If you're not Brady, Brees, Rodgers you don't deserve a top tier contract.
Good idea in theory, but Rodgers is currently 7th in AAV per year. Not even sure where Brady falls.

Carr
Luck
Palmer
Brees
Cousins
Flacco (still 22m a year at #6)
Rodgers

It seems as though the QB market has been set, and it's much higher than 15m dollars for average QBs. A guy like Mike Glennon is making 16m dollars this year, IIRC.

Last edited:
Teams with a good but not great QB are in an extremely difficult situation. Without a backup plan they are hosed in the short term, having to go in to the following season with somebody like Mike Glennon or Josh McCown, until they can find a long term solution.

The other alternative is to sign a guy you don't truly believe in to a long term deal with lots of guaranteed money, which makes it nearly impossible if you decide to move on a year or two into that contract.

Considering the money that Washington has shelled out to Cousins over the last two years, back-to-back franchise tags was even worse than either of those alternatives. If they had traded him a year ago they could have bottomed out in 2016 and had an early draft pick, and that new QB would by now have some experience.

This has been a smart business decision by Cousins. He makes a boat load of money in 2016 and 2017, and still gets an opportunity to really cash in as a free agent in 2018. Well played by a guy that isn't a top tier player at his position.

Skins are in the No Mans Land Hell. They have a 2nd tier QB who can keep getting tagged at well over $20m. They can play the tag game, give him a big guaranteed contract, or get rid of him. Those are all pretty crappy options, but you can't blame Cousins. They only guaranteed him 2 years. Why would he sign that contract when he can continue getting tagged? Skins should make up their minds if they want him or not. They've bungled this for the last few years.

They should sign him long term I think. Kirk is clearly in the 2nd tier of QBs not elite but good. They should lock him up.
This is exactly why they shouldn't waste their time with Cousins. Second tier. There is first place and then there is F-all. Who cares about "good" ? I would want championships.

They should sign him long term I think. Kirk is clearly in the 2nd tier of QBs not elite but good. They should lock him up.
I agree. He hasn't shown anything that warrants all the attention he seems to be getting, but he is not a bad QB. He is, as you've stated, second tier and maybe even lower second tier.

This is exactly why they shouldn't waste their time with Cousins. Second tier. There is first place and then there is F-all. Who cares about "good" ? I would want championships.
Agreed. I had the same discussion with a friend earlier.

Cousins can give you 9 wins in this league, so hes right to demand more than Mathew Staffords of life.

I thought the OP was gonna suggest the Pats trade for Cousins. Glad to be wrong.

Cousins holds all the cards. Clearly he is a good to great NFL QB. Furthermore, they have nobody to take his place.

I thought the OP was gonna suggest the Pats trade for Cousins. Glad to be wrong.

Cousins holds all the cards. Clearly he is a good to great NFL QB. Furthermore, they have nobody to take his place.

I like you 1989. But how could anyone classify Cousins as anything approaching "-to great" ?

I like you 1989. But how could anyone classify Cousins as anything approaching "-to great" ?

I could see him be in a class with Ryan, Big Ben, Stafford. He will never be in the Brady/Rodgers/Brees tier.

Suppose I throw the word " Great" around too loosely.

they cant until after the season

thats the kind of attitude that buys you three years of fitzmagic.

Beginning in 2000
Dilfer
Johnson
Eli (twice)
Flacco

are all tier 2, or lower, QBs who've won championships.

Brady
Roethlisberger
Peyton

are elite QBs who won at least one championship when their play was not yet (or any longer, in Peyton's case) elite.

Wilson

is a question mark as to where to place him.

The notion that you need an elite QB to win championships simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny. You need elite QBs to remain as a top contender year after year, because the truly elite QB can cover up a lot of team deficiencies, but Peyton Manning and Brady are the only two of those the league has seen drafted since 1998. And, for those who would argue Rodgers, that would still only make 3.

I watched Cousins play 3 or 4 games last season. He was amazing in 1 game. And average'ish in the others. From the little I have seen he seems to have a nice deep ball but lacks accuracy for the short to intermediate throws. Doesn't have a lot of zip on the ball.

I wouldn't want to pay him top money. I would franchise him again to see if he improves and if he doesn't show promise to the coaching staff. Then let him hit the open market.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back