PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: How risky is takeout food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, if you were like my 55 year old acquaintance who passed away on Wednesday after 12 days on a ventilator, just man up and die.

Sorry for your loss. It's sad that the selfishness of others is directly killing people we know.

I understand why people working in stores wear gloves. As they would be touching plenty of items where customer may or my not have interacted (plus plenty of people who work in the store).

People wearing gloves only seem to protect you from properly washing your hands? I have seen people going into a store to take them off while getting into their car. But all the things they have to unpack would potentially have something on the packaging - net no change. Only positive, they didn't bring anything into their car.

If it's on the packaging, they still have to content with that issue when they get home. Net-net, doesn't seem to change very much as everything your hands would touch your gloves would touch to the same effect. Am I naive or missing something here?
I wear gloves if I'm going to use a shopping cart or pump gas, but that's about it.

Oh for crying out loud. Just man up and live.

Haven't worn a goofy mask...never will. Don't own hand sanitizer, never will.

Wife is a full time cashier at Costco. No mask.

I am 63...go out biking, playing golf, shopping everyday. No special hypochondriac rituals.

Geesh….

It's astonishing how proud you are of your ignorance

I just got Chick Fil A last night, so I’ll let you know in about 10-14 days.

I am 63...go out biking, playing golf, shopping everyday. No special hypochondriac rituals.

Geesh….
If you contract the virus, please just man up and die. Do not use any hospital resources to potentially save you or wife's life. Man up and die.

Obviously sarcastic, I don't want you or your wife to die. Your attitude and actions are stupid af though, might want to work on that.

If it's on the packaging, they still have to content with that issue when they get home. Net-net, doesn't seem to change very much as everything your hands would touch your gloves would touch to the same effect. Am I naive or missing something here?

I'm one of those people. I load the groceries in the back and take my gloves off before I close the hatch. The idea being anything on the gloves doesn't end up on the control surfaces of the vehicle. I have a dedicated pair of heavy rubber gauntlets on the porch for unloading the groceries and they are staged into the house from there using appropriate precautions.

In general, food is safe. Your stomach kills any virus.

I find the guidance on food rather confusing. Yes, cooking kills the virus. And yes, once it enters your digestive tract it's no problem. But I keep reading advice along the lines of "the only risk would be touching the food with your hands, then touching your face or mouth."

As if all food were cooked to 145° before diving straight down the gullet?

Take the OP's suggestion of a burger. The meat may be cooked to a safe temperature, but then it's layered with condiments, vegetables and bun that aren't. Then you pick it all up with your bare hands, press your lips around it, and basically distribute it to all of your oral mucous membranes. Why is that okay but touching your mouth with your hands is out of the question? I honestly don't get it.

Certainly, any risk from eating is dwarfed by the risk of being around other people. But if everybody headed downtown every night to get takeout instead of stocking up on groceries every other week, that would also harm the whole community's social transmission rates. So I guess on balance my take on takeout would be "only once in a while, and only something like a pizza that you could stick in the oven before consuming."

Once again, all of this social distancing stuff was put into place to knock the top off the curve, it was never intended to prevent people from catching it. It was never intended to keep people healthy until a cure was found. People are going to catch it, people are going to die. You just can't have everyone catch it at once and completely overwhelm the medical system. Latest estimate, from the CDC is 60,000 deaths from the coronavirus in the US, total. In the 2017 flu season there were over 60,000 deaths in the US from the flu, and that was with a flu shot out there, as well as some herd immunity.

There was this Chinese food place back at college the Gau was awesome might have been cat though. Definitely risky.

Sorry @SammyBlueCat

If you leave your house there is risk. If you interact with someone who leaves the house there is some risk. If you don't leave the house or interact with anyone with contacts outside the house you will eventually starve to death or die of a disease that wasn't diagnosed because you didn't go to the doctor, because he is outside the house.

Once a week we get take out. We dump the contents out onto plates and throw the boxes/containers away. Wash our hands several times during the entire process. I am trying to support our local restaurants during this insanity. If the virus was passed via food or cardboard pizza boxes I think we would all be sick. So I think its very unlikely to get infected this way.

Geesh….

In New York yesterday. Yes, that is a mass grave.
maxresdefault.jpg

If you leave your house there is risk. If you interact with someone who leaves the house there is some risk. If you don't leave the house or interact with anyone with contacts outside the house you will eventually starve to death or die of a disease that wasn't diagnosed because you didn't go to the doctor, because he is outside the house.

Going to the store for necessities is not the same thing as "golfing and shopping every day" and "not owning hand sanitizer", so I don't get why you gave that post a favorable rating.

1) wearing gloves might make you less likely to touch your face while shopping.
2) Disposing the gloves after putting stuff in your car but before driving means you don't have to worry about contaminating your steering wheel/gearshift/etc.

Other than that I agree with you -- the only things gloves do is prevent it from getting on the skin of your hands.

Take the OP's suggestion of a burger. The meat may be cooked to a safe temperature, but then it's layered with condiments, vegetables and bun that aren't. Then you pick it all up with your bare hands, press your lips around it, and basically distribute it to all of your oral mucous membranes. Why is that okay but touching your mouth with your hands is out of the question? I honestly don't get it.
I agree which is why I don't buy the guidance or the newspaper articles saying "oh, it's safe". Which is why we only get takeout things that can be heated/reheated to the killing temperature.

Keep in mind that all of your food is touched by people every step of the way. And of course at the grocery store you have the possibility that anything you pick up was also touched or coughed on by other random shoppers.

If you're minimizing your contact with people in general I don't know that how you get your food matters that much.

Going to the store for necessities is not the same thing as "golfing and shopping every day" and "not owning hand sanitizer", so I don't get why you gave that post a favorable rating.
So if you are golfing everyday, by yourself or with your loved one, on a golf course, by yourself, is that better or worse than staying at home sitting on the couch? Soap and water does just as much as hand sanitizer does. Shopping every day, well I agree with you on that one.

Geesh….
and a good number of you "manning up" already have and are spreading a deadly virus. A good number of you are kind of responsible for other people needlessly dying and getting very sick. A good number of you have contributed to the need for lock downs. Thanks so much for your man contribution

I will say though, it may be possible to go golfing safely on a daily basis. Go by yourself, bring your own clubs and balls, stay 6 feet back from everyone else, don’t rent a golf cart, and it’s a relatively wide open space. Chatting it up in the clubhouse afterwards and all that stuff (which I’m assuming the original poster does) can be risky stuff.

Keep in mind that all of your food is touched by people every step of the way. And of course at the grocery store you have the possibility that anything you pick up was also touched or coughed on by other random shoppers.

If you're minimizing your contact with people in general I don't know that how you get your food matters that much.
Most guidance seems to indicate the virus generally disintegrates after 3 days. So whatever you buy at the store, just by not eating it for 3 days, and washing your hands and wiping down where your groceries touched, should resolve most issues. Won’t be 100% foolproof but it should be reasonably close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes